What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (6 Viewers)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/21/9367475/urijah-faber-reveals-explosive-new-allegations-in-duane-ludwig-feud

Most of what I read about all of that drama between Faber and Ludwig painted Ludwig as the ###hole pretty clearly. That said, Faber and Team Alpha Male would seem to be the ###holes in the situation with Dillashaw, getting all butt-hurt over TJ doing what he felt was best for his career and leaving. And Garbrandt just strikes me as a giant WT doosh regardless, even though his relationship with that kid who has cancer is really pretty awesome.
what's funny id i remember that is what a lot of the main MMA sites had, but the few that had interviews with Duane etc. certainly painted the opposite picture. Duane has explained it pretty clearly, that a dream of his was to always open a camp in Colorado, he went to help Team Alpha Male, and explained this when it started to look possible and Team Alpha Male didn't want him to leave

Yeah, I've actually heard that he's a good down-to-earth guy too. And I've also heard that Duane Ludwig is just a raging meathead jackhole.

My cousin has trained jits at 10th Planet in LA for years and has met a ton of UFC type guys there and elsewhere around LA, and has said that the vast majority of them are really good dudes. Ludwig, Josh Koscheck, and Ronda Rousey are the only ones that he had anything bad to say about IIRC, with Koscheck standing out as by far the worst. Per my cousin, he actually is much worse in person than he comes off as on TV.
that is funny, i could definitely imagine. I think some of this is a reaction to the older camps like Lion's Den and Miletich's center that was known more for the general "hazing" kind of stuff and those kind of meathead things. Not saying either is much better or worse, but I would just think going to any training with Matt Hughes would be a lot of eye rolling

what's funny id i remember that is what a lot of the main MMA sites had, but the few that had interviews with Duane etc. certainly painted the opposite picture. Duane has explained it pretty clearly, that a dream of his was to always open a camp in Colorado, he went to help Team Alpha Male, and explained this when it started to look possible and Team Alpha Male didn't want him to leave
Most of what I've read (including from Ludwig) seemed to indicate that the problems were centered around $$$ issues as opposed to not wanting him to open his own gym. Either way, we'll certainly never get the whole story.

that is funny, i could definitely imagine. I think some of this is a reaction to the older camps like Lion's Den and Miletich's center that was known more for the general "hazing" kind of stuff and those kind of meathead things. Not saying either is much better or worse, but I would just think going to any training with Matt Hughes would be a lot of eye rolling
Hughes comes off as a giant doosh too -- wasn't he banging one of his MFS teammates' wife at some point? I've never read his book (LOL), but I've heard that it just makes him look like a giant ##### -- and that is all "his side of the story."

What was Clay like?
Really nice. We have the same name so he and his parents immediately loved me. Clay had organized the after party we went to and spent just over two hours getting from the door to his table (which was about 50 feet from the door) because he actually talked to every single person who wanted to chat. He could have easily said he was hungry or whatever, but he took time with everyone that night. It was very cool to see.

Don't know if I've told this story, but my brother-in-law (Juston) used to be Clay's boss. They were working on a home remodel and Clay was chronically late. Juston said he loved the dude but finally told him if he was late again, he'd be let go. The next morning, Juston gets there at his normal time (usually the first to show up), and Clay's car is already there.

Juston was thrilled. But he didn't see Clay anywhere in the house. Then he went down to the basement and found him.

Asleep.

After Juston woke him up, Clay told him he had slept there that night because he couldn't afford to lose his job.

Koscheck standing out as by far the worst. Per my cousin, he actually is much worse in person than he comes off as on TV.

This doesn't surprise me.   The #### he pulled with Leban on TUF1 was inexcusable.    He likes to spin it like he was just "being the heel" but it's pretty clear he doesn't understand the difference between playing a heel (Chael Sonnen) vs just being a ####### horrible human being (Koscheck)

Man, serious walk down memory lane on that gallery.  :thumbup:

Yeah, that Gonzaga/Cro Cop KO is still insane. And Barboza/Etim is still poetry in motion.

TUF Season 26 will kick off the 125 wimmins division.
But Bellator beat UFC to the punch with the flyweight signings.

fighting is such a "what have you done lately" sport.  

Easy to forget what a ###### monster Carlos Condit was in 2010 / 2011.   I was postiive he was going to a World Champ someday.  

funny watching some of those at the same time i am reading how Chuck is training these days and looking for a fight if the right opponent is there. I am guessing Tito would be wonderful, but Wandy, etc. would be fine in Bellator. Rampage even would be fine, if Chuck is coming back because really no one can tell him no. 

and lol watching Babalu-Chuck. That was one of the first MMA bets i can remember making, and the UFC Countdown show (or whatever it was called) had me totally thinking Babalu had a chance. 

Allessio Sakara!  I forgot about him.  I always liked him, even if he was a borderline jobber. 
there are quite a few guys i have forgot about too, real fun to remember. I thought Terry Martin was going to be something too. Houston Alexander had him moment in the sun. All kinds of stuff, like a quick look at the last 8-10 years

there are quite a few guys i have forgot about too, real fun to remember. I thought Terry Martin was going to be something too. Houston Alexander had him moment in the sun. All kinds of stuff, like a quick look at the last 8-10 years

"Houston Alexander is for REAL!!!!!!"

i know it's easy to side with the fighters most of the time when it is them against the UFC, but i really hope the UFC screws over Iaquinta with all of his nonsense the past few weeks. Maybe it is my fault for always checking the MMA sites, but this dude is just a deuche:

http://www.mmamania.com/2017/5/4/15551726/al-iaquinta-ufc-cut-me-you-sissies-twitter-rant

They should keep him under contract and just not give him any fights. when they do don't do him any favors like Diego Sanchez. Give him the real good young prospect so it is low on card. We all know he will milk this for all he can, and will blame for the UFC, as he sits out and only takes fights against guys like Sanchez. F him  

ETA: his argument with his pay is something the UFC may look at one day, but his #####ing and complaining is different then other UFC fighters. Iaquinta is straight out of Jersey Shore and loves to bro it up on Long Island. His current pay would be fine in other areas of the country, but right around New York city it is less value then other places. That is somewhat on him though. He had the same contract as El Cucouy, and plenty of other fighters. His pay day may have come but with his constant pouting i hope the UFC screws him. Even cut him and let him get paid more elsewhere and maybe have a good career would be better for the UFC

Last edited by a moderator:
Al is making a much better living as a real estate agent than as a UFC fighter.  He doesn't have any intention of fighting a high quality opponent because he doesn't want to take major damage.  Talking smack is the best way for him to get his brand out there.

If I had the same 15 mins of Fame with my own sales career I would triple my business.  I could point to the example that I stood up to a $4 billion company for what I believed in, and refused to sell myself short.  

What exactly would he lose besides not being in the UFC?  He only has upside whatever happens, money is better in bellator for guys ranked in that mid #3-10 tier, and right now he gets to sit back and watch the ufc fret over making the best decision.  Plus he's getting his name out there daily.

Commercial jersey/new York real estate with minor celeb status gotta be worth a minimum of $220-300k, and he might even get away with being punched in the face less.

Seriously? His Twitter is 99% shtick.
I just happened to follow him last night and read from his last fight forward.  It's pretty amazing if you ask me.  I'd have been pissed too for not getting a bonus for KO'ing Diego like that.  The others deserved it as well (UFC should take care of all the great perfomances) besides Lobov who displayed being a solid punching bag.

Al is making a much better living as a real estate agent than as a UFC fighter.  He doesn't have any intention of fighting a high quality opponent because he doesn't want to take major damage.  Talking smack is the best way for him to get his brand out there.

If I had the same 15 mins of Fame with my own sales career I would triple my business.  I could point to the example that I stood up to a $4 billion company for what I believed in, and refused to sell myself short.  

What exactly would he lose besides not being in the UFC?  He only has upside whatever happens, money is better in bellator for guys ranked in that mid #3-10 tier, and right now he gets to sit back and watch the ufc fret over making the best decision.  Plus he's getting his name out there daily.

Commercial jersey/new York real estate with minor celeb status gotta be worth a minimum of $220-300k, and he might even get away with being punched in the face less.
yeah I agree. I think I get the MMA tunnel vision, but I guess he is taking a page out of Leban's book. I guess my complaint is with the MMA sites discussing all of this. I guess that is on me too though, seeing how MMAMania will report for the shtick value, MMAfighting has basically become TMZ so they will report on this kind of stuff always, and I think MMAjunkie ignored it.

Quez said:
Great interview with Nate Diaz on the MMA hour.
I missed most of it, but it is interesting to see where they are coming from on things. I work in a large urban area with mental/behavior health adolescents and youth so i can see some of it. This is from Ben Fowlkes at mmajunkie (http://mmajunkie.com/2017/05/on-nate-diaz-and-the-allegory-of-the-cafeteria):

If you’ve ever wanted to see life through Nate Diaz’s eyes, you could do a lot worse than what shall henceforth be known as “The Allegory of the Cafeteria.” It goes a little something like this:

“You’re in the school cafeteria, right? Lunch time. Remember high school? And somebody’s like, ‘Hey, look around the room. Who do you want to fight? Who do you want to fight in here?’ Random Tuesday. Week is going fine. Who do you want to fight in this cafeteria? Remember the cafeteria? There’s 300 people in there, right? You look around the room like, ‘(Expletive) man, I don’t really want to fight anybody.’ Will I fight anybody? Yeah, I guess. Do I want to? No. First of all, that’s rude.”

The first thing I should admit here is that I’ve never been in this cafeteria. But now, thanks to Diaz’s eloquence on his very own mid-week episode of “The MMA Hour,” I feel like I have. I can picture it. I can put myself right there at a table with young Nate Diaz, both of us minding our business, dreading fifth period Algebra, just trying to finish our sandwiches and get through the day.

But in this one overcrowded room the threat of violence is never far from our minds, apparently. We don’t seek it out, but we’re ready for it. We have accepted it as a fact of life. We are not particularly happy about it.

To the Diaz brothers, the MMA world is that cafeteria. It always has been. It’s why they keep trying to leave, because they know that while they’re here we won’t ever leave them alone. They keep trying to eat their Cheetos, and we keep poking them in the ribs, saying, “How about that guy over there? Would you fight him?”

It never occurred to us that each time they said yes it might have only been because, for one reason or another, they felt like they couldn’t say no.

This seems especially relevant for Diaz (19-11 MMA,14-9 UFC) now. Two fights with Conor McGregor brought him a lot of money, according to UFC President Dana White, but as he tries to enjoy it the powers that be keep poking him and then pointing across the room at one lightweight or another. How about him? Would you fight him?

The answer lately has been the same: no, no, no. At least not without a significant bump in pay, and therein lies the rub.

Diaz, we’re told, wants too much money. And the UFC remains committed to the idea that he’s a nobody who is powerless to move that stubborn needle, so why should he get a raise? It’s an idea undermined by the continued fascination with him in spite of – or maybe even because of – his inactivity.

Diaz is 3-4 in his past seven fights, and still he gets an “MMA Hour” episode all to himself just to announce that he’s got nothing to announce. What’s more, people actually watched. Why wouldn’t they? How many other fighters could compare this sport to a cafeteria that’s part “Breakfast Club” and part “Shawshank Redemption” and have it all make a strange sort of sense? Who else could entertain fight fans just by explaining why he’s not going to fight?

If you ask fans of theirs to explain the enduring appeal of the two Diaz boys, chances are that at some point they’ll hit on the topic of “realness.” Nick and Nate? Those guys keep it real. There’s something undeniably authentic about them. Even when they don’t make complete sense they somehow make more sense than anyone else.

“If anything I’m like the superhero coming in with this anti-bull(expletive),” Nick said in the lead-up to his fight with Georges St-Pierre. And though we didn’t know exactly what he meant, come on – we knew what he meant.

It’s the same thing now. The UFC offers Nate fights. He turns them down in part because he can, but also because he’s tired of being goaded into cafeteria combat for the benefit of others. He’s tired of being used, in one way or another, and unlike a lot of his peers he recognizes that using people is one of the things the fight game does best.

Why keep playing a game like that if you don’t have to? What do you think he is, crazy? Well, OK, maybe a little crazy, but he’s not nuts. And if you think that alone makes him ill-suited for the world of MMA, what have you just admitted?

Bobcat10 said:
 The others deserved it as well (UFC should take care of all the great perfomances) besides Lobov who displayed being a solid punching bag.
:goodposting:

:lmao:  Just hilarious Lobov got kudos for "hanging" (just lasting 5 rounds) with Cub. Absolutely ridiculous. This isn't some young touted prospect just starting in the game. 

hooter311 said:

This x100. 

Mentioned it after the fight. The most valuable thing he got that night was free worldwide advertising after the fight. And MMA people are still talking about him....

You arent getting paid keeping your mouth shut. History obviously long shows that.

Look,  I know it was against the rules and I know he was an idiotic for smoking weed before his fight but ### #### this rule is so archaic.

For those that missed it, Gastelum got tested and popped positive for weed.  His fight against against Vitor has been turned into a NC and he is suspended for 90 days.

Users who are viewing this thread