What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (3 Viewers)

One thing that keeps bothering me was in Drago's rant.... after using terms obviously meant to convey a 'barbarian' like people with little understanding or words in their language for things like 'ships' or 'ocean/sea' he used the term 'iron suits'..... really? They have a term for suits in that culture? I know it is knit picky but it makes me flinch every time. Iron skins or iron clothing or something else would have been much better. I just can not see that culture having a term for 'suits'. And it bothers me. :lol:

ETA: It is the same kind of bother when someone yells "FIRE!" to a bunch of archers... really? Fire? What is an archer firing?

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that keeps bothering me was in Drago's rant.... after using terms obviously meant to convey a 'barbarian' like people with little understanding or words in their language for things like 'ships' or 'ocean/sea' he used the term 'iron suits'..... really? They have a term for suits in that culture? I know it is knit picky but it makes me flinch every time. Iron skins or iron clothing or something else would have been much better. I just can not see that culture having a term for 'suits'. And it bothers me. :lol:ETA: It is the same kind of bother when someone yells "FIRE!" to a bunch of archers... really? Fire? What is an archer firing?
Definitely takes the title of "most knitpicky". It'll take something awfully obscure or part of the background to top this.

One thing that keeps bothering me was in Drago's rant.... after using terms obviously meant to convey a 'barbarian' like people with little understanding or words in their language for things like 'ships' or 'ocean/sea' he used the term 'iron suits'..... really? They have a term for suits in that culture? I know it is knit picky but it makes me flinch every time. Iron skins or iron clothing or something else would have been much better. I just can not see that culture having a term for 'suits'. And it bothers me. :lol:ETA: It is the same kind of bother when someone yells "FIRE!" to a bunch of archers... really? Fire? What is an archer firing?
Definitely takes the title of "most knitpicky". It'll take something awfully obscure or part of the background to top this.
Like when Mormont started walking and you could see the Bass logo on the bottom of his loafers?

It likely would not bother me if they did not make so much effort in showing the limitations of the language versus that of the seven kingdoms. What suit are they use to? A 3 piece one? :loco: And yes, I acknowledge that it is knit picky. But it still bothers me.

Finally finished the first book. Now I can go back and read this thread

Surprised a bit by the end on two fronts.

Im sure Im not alone in thinking this but before I started reading the books (episodes 1-3) I thought the show was awesome. Then as I read and watched (4-7) I thought the book was a lot better. But the show does a nice job of hitting on all the important things and filling in the rest with smaller parts like they did with Lord Baelish and the two whores this past week

Cant wait to see

Khalesee at the end

'Chadstroma said:
In episode 3 Rakharo refers to armor as "steel dresses" and Mormont corrects him that it is a suit of armor. This is broken Common/Dothraki that they are learning.

Can someone summarize what Littlefinger said during the brothel scene? I honestly wasn't paying any attention to him.

Can someone summarize what Littlefinger said during the brothel scene? I honestly wasn't paying any attention to him.
It was just painfully obvious mustache twirling stuff. I'm not powerful like the Starks, so I have to get inside their head in order to get what I want. Mwah hah hah. I thought it was painful, particularly since the "sex scene as exposition device" has become such a cliche in the show.

'Dan Gladden said:
Isn't it called a suit of armor?
It is also called a ship but in the dathraki (sp?) tongue there is no word for ship because they are a plains horse based people and hence they use 'wooden horse' as their term for ship. And thus when the translation is on the screen, it reads 'wooden horse'. It does not matter what it is called in one language if there is not an equivalent word in the other language- you are stuck trying to translate the thought in other ways. My issue is that 'suit' seems to be a very odd word to be part of the dathraki (again sp?) language when something like ship is not.

It was just painfully obvious mustache twirling stuff. I'm not powerful like the Starks, so I have to get inside their head in order to get what I want. Mwah hah hah. I thought it was painful, particularly since the "sex scene as exposition device" has become such a cliche in the show.
:goodposting: A whole monologue about how he got worked by the Starks combined with a lesson on how to #### people. Gee I wonder what happens next?

'Chadstroma said:
'Apple Juice said:
'Chadstroma said:
It likely would not bother me if they did not make so much effort in showing the limitations of the language versus that of the seven kingdoms. What suit are they use to? A 3 piece one? :loco: And yes, I acknowledge that it is knit picky. But it still bothers me.
birthday suit

'Chadstroma said:
'Apple Juice said:
'Chadstroma said:
birthday suit
:goodposting:
I thought it was painful, particularly since the "sex scene as exposition device" has become such a cliche in the show.
Relax, gay guy.
loal
Nice Hippling.

'Chadstroma said:
'Apple Juice said:
'Chadstroma said:
birthday suit
:goodposting:
I thought it was painful, particularly since the "sex scene as exposition device" has become such a cliche in the show.
Relax, gay guy.
loal
Nice Hippling.
not a cool kid. no idea what this means. but thanks :unsure:

I finished the fourth book a few weeks ago and know, on the whole, what's coming.

What do I look forward to seeing the most?

The Khaleesi emerging from the funeral pyre, naked, with hatchling dragons around her. She's damn hot, and it's an important scene for the rest of the story. It's gonna be well done, I'm sure.
Things I'm not pleased with in the HBO adaptation:

1) The hound - Not at all what I imagined.

2) Gotta say Bran isn't displaying the character he's given in the book. Dunno if it's the actor, or the writing, or just not his turn to be the focus yet, but not living up to expectations there.

There are more, but on the whole, it's a VERY good adaptation of a very complicated, deep and expansive book, and I'm enjoying the episodes, although I hate waiting week after week for the next installment. Not a patient episode watcher but I'll stick with it.

So did they leave what happened to the Spero out intentionally or is he dead? He turned out straight bad ###
My guess is that he is not dead. The dialogue before of 'seeing' and his reminder of 'what do we say to death?'. I would be surprised if he does not show up again later.

Here is something that I am not sure I got... or I missed...

Why is Jamie laying siege to the river lords? I thought he was suppose to be going to the veil. Is it because it is on the way and the river lords are allies? (I think that is where Lady Stark is from, right?) But the banner captain said if they broke the siege then they would join them.... or is this just an overall power play by the Lanisters? or did I miss something completely?

So did they leave what happened to the Spero out intentionally or is he dead? He turned out straight bad ###
My guess is that he is not dead. The dialogue before of 'seeing' and his reminder of 'what do we say to death?'. I would be surprised if he does not show up again later.
I'd have to agree. Stop reading here unless you want an additional spoiler, although I don't know one way or another on this subject.

I'm finished with book 4 and I had to go back and read that part again to be convinced that it was open to the readers opinion on what happened to him because I thought I remembered for sure he was dead. Since it didn't close the book on him, I hope he lives on and either returns later, or was actually a character in disguise all along.

I'd have to agree. Stop reading here unless you want an additional spoiler, although I don't know one way or another on this subject.

I'm finished with book 4 and I had to go back and read that part again to be convinced that it was open to the readers opinion on what happened to him because I thought I remembered for sure he was dead. Since it didn't close the book on him, I hope he lives on and either returns later, or was actually a character in disguise all along.
Where is the series as far as # of books? Meaning, if I was reading along to keep pace with the series, where would I be in the books right now? And how many books are there?

Where is the series as far as # of books? Meaning, if I was reading along to keep pace with the series, where would I be in the books right now? And how many books are there?I just started the books and you'd still be in the first book, almost done i'd guess.

Where is the series as far as # of books? Meaning, if I was reading along to keep pace with the series, where would I be in the books right now? And how many books are there?Currently there are four books, with the fifth supposedly being released in a month or two.The first season, as far as I understand it, follows the first book. I imagine this trend will follow with the second and third book. The fourth book however, and the fifth book, it'll be interesting to see how the show handles those because it's an odd thing. The first three books pretty much follow all the main characters through plot arcs. The fourth book apparently was intended to do the same, but the author wrote SO MUCH, that he had to split it up into two books. He could've either done this by splitting up the stories of the characters and broken for the fifth book in the middle of the story, or he could've told the whole story for only part of the characters. He chose the latter, and as such, the fourth book only follows certain characters, with the promise that the fifth book will follow the characters left out of the fourth book...so really the fourth and fifth book combined tell stories occuring in the same time period, but are two separate books because there was too much story to tell, which is why it'll be interesting to see how the series handles it.

Where is the series as far as # of books? Meaning, if I was reading along to keep pace with the series, where would I be in the books right now? And how many books are there?Currently there are four books, with the fifth supposedly being released in a month or two.The first season, as far as I understand it, follows the first book. I imagine this trend will follow with the second and third book. The fourth book however, and the fifth book, it'll be interesting to see how the show handles those because it's an odd thing. The first three books pretty much follow all the main characters through plot arcs. The fourth book apparently was intended to do the same, but the author wrote SO MUCH, that he had to split it up into two books. He could've either done this by splitting up the stories of the characters and broken for the fifth book in the middle of the story, or he could've told the whole story for only part of the characters. He chose the latter, and as such, the fourth book only follows certain characters, with the promise that the fifth book will follow the characters left out of the fourth book...so really the fourth and fifth book combined tell stories occuring in the same time period, but are two separate books because there was too much story to tell, which is why it'll be interesting to see how the series handles it.Wow that's annoying. Luckily Im only reading these now. I'd be super pissed if I read book 4 and had to wait for book 5 to make sense of things. Why not just have a 1000 page book? $$$ i guess?

Actually it was about pressure to get something published and the fact that paperbacks fallapart at about 1000 pages

Wow that's annoying. Luckily Im only reading these now. I'd be super pissed if I read book 4 and had to wait for book 5 to make sense of things. Why not just have a 1000 page book? $$ i guess?
The third book was 1000 pages (well 992 anyway). He said on his blog that the 5th book will be the largest in the series, so it'll be over 1000 pages. If he had combined the 4th and 5th it would've been 1600 pages or so. However even given that, I don't believe that was the real reason for the break. I think he had writer's block on how to traverse the stories of some of the characters and the pressure to put anything out was building, so he went with the ones he had.

Wow that's annoying. Luckily Im only reading these now. I'd be super pissed if I read book 4 and had to wait for book 5 to make sense of things. Why not just have a 1000 page book? $$ i guess?
The third book was 1000 pages (well 992 anyway). He said on his blog that the 5th book will be the largest in the series, so it'll be over 1000 pages. If he had combined the 4th and 5th it would've been 1600 pages or so. However even given that, I don't believe that was the real reason for the break. I think he had writer's block on how to traverse the stories of some of the characters and the pressure to put anything out was building, so he went with the ones he had.
From the links I've read, the 5th book is around 1500 pages and will be published next month.

I finished the fourth book a few weeks ago and know, on the whole, what's coming.

What do I look forward to seeing the most?

The Khaleesi emerging from the funeral pyre, naked, with hatchling dragons around her. She's damn hot, and it's an important scene for the rest of the story. It's gonna be well done, I'm sure.
Things I'm not pleased with in the HBO adaptation:

1) The hound - Not at all what I imagined.

2) Gotta say Bran isn't displaying the character he's given in the book. Dunno if it's the actor, or the writing, or just not his turn to be the focus yet, but not living up to expectations there.

There are more, but on the whole, it's a VERY good adaptation of a very complicated, deep and expansive book, and I'm enjoying the episodes, although I hate waiting week after week for the next installment. Not a patient episode watcher but I'll stick with it.

I actually dig how they've handled Bran so far, as well as his recurring dreams with the three-eyed crow. He should get much more screen time soon enough, so there's time to flesh him out.

The Hound didn't fit what I imagined either, though I'm getting used to it. I pictured his gruff demeanor, voice and presence as similar to Tychus Findlay from Starcraft 2 (to keep it geeky :nerd: ). He simply doesn't look or feel mean enough to me.

As far as other complaints, I look forward to seeing more of the direwolves in the future, even if it takes CGI work.

I'm immensely pleased with the adaptation as a whole, though.

I finished the fourth book a few weeks ago and know, on the whole, what's coming.What do I look forward to seeing the most?

Things I'm not pleased with in the HBO adaptation:1) The hound - Not at all what I imagined.2) Gotta say Bran isn't displaying the character he's given in the book. Dunno if it's the actor, or the writing, or just not his turn to be the focus yet, but not living up to expectations there.There are more, but on the whole, it's a VERY good adaptation of a very complicated, deep and expansive book, and I'm enjoying the episodes, although I hate waiting week after week for the next installment. Not a patient episode watcher but I'll stick with it.

I agree with the Hound and Bran. The hound is a great character in the books. Not sure how much of that comes across in the show. He's played more as purely wicked in the show. It has to be tough. They could probably stretch the book out over two seasons and still have to cut things out.

I think this past episode is the one that finally got my wife hooked in. She's been watching with me from the beginning, but hadn't really gone "all in" on it like I did. She told me she liked it but that she didn't look forward to it each week "like you do"... with a whisper of disdain in her voice as if I'm some f***ing nerd for being so into the show.

Well, after this week's episode, she proclaimed : "OK, maybe I do really like this, I can see myself getting more into it." Then, this morning, she was off to work before I woke up and she left me a note addressed to "My sun & stars... just kidding, you're not a hulking, brutish, somewhat dim-witted warlord."

THE HOOKS ARE IN !! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!

Users who are viewing this thread