Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Need a dedicated server

Chaka

I am currently running windows small business server 2003 off an 2003 Dell Dimension 8300 and all it really does is network four computers.

I am expanding the office and need to put in a real network with a dedicated server running the show. I don't think I need anything over the top I just need it to integrate all the work computers and I would like it to have enough juice to run applications like QuickBooks and Office remotely without a ton of lagtime.

I have enough tech savy to build my own home computer but I have no idea where to begin with something like this so before I hire someone to take care of the whole thing for me I want to know what kind of capital outlay am I looking at here.

Thanks for your help.

Well I consult for plenty of real networks running SMB 2003 so I am guessing this is more a hardware question. How many users are we talking? How many inbound concurrent connections? What kind of bandwidth do you have available? What kind of router are you using?

Well I consult for plenty of real networks running SMB 2003 so I am guessing this is more a hardware question. How many users are we talking? How many inbound concurrent connections? What kind of bandwidth do you have available? What kind of router are you using?

:rolleyes::own3d::X

:lmao::moneybag::lmao:
I believe this is a hardware question too.We have four immediate users and are expecting 4-6 more by the end of the year. Dropping CAT5 line into the new offices is not a problem. I am not sure what "inbound concurrent connections" are. We have a static IP address, have cable access in the building and we have a standard 2.4GHz Linksys 54G router.I imagine that nothing more intensive than QuickBooks and Microsoft Office will be run on the server, it will also be our e-mail server (Microsoft Exchange), we are keeping our website external.We would like to have work applications automatically save the data to the server for storage and backup.We would like the printers and fax to run through the server too if possible.Let me know what other info you need from me.Thanks for giving it some thought.

Archived