What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortgage Rates (6 Viewers)

Chadstroma said:
PIK95 said:
menobrown said:
Any idea what to expect out of the rates this week Chad?
So far they are up a little today.
My CU is back over 6% today. That Aim loan thing is 5.5%. I just want 5.5% (then pay he point to drop it) through someone I can trust. :thumbdown:
50 bps drop in the Fed. Should see a sympathy drop in mortgages but very slight since I am sure they have already priced it in. We will have to see how the bond market reacts.
Thanks for the info. :lmao:

Chadstroma said:
PIK95 said:
menobrown said:
Any idea what to expect out of the rates this week Chad?
So far they are up a little today.
My CU is back over 6% today. That Aim loan thing is 5.5%. I just want 5.5% (then pay he point to drop it) through someone I can trust. :thumbdown:
50 bps drop in the Fed. Should see a sympathy drop in mortgages but very slight since I am sure they have already priced it in. We will have to see how the bond market reacts.
Thanks for the info. :lmao:
No prob, I will help as much as I can in any way than I can.

Today's rates at Pentagon Federal Credit Union:

30 yr fixed conforming (0 points) = 5.875%

30 yr fixed conforming (.75 points) = 5.625%

15 yr fixed conforming (0 points) = 5.125%

15 yr fixed conforming (.625 points) = 4.875%

They pay the following closing costs:

appraisal

credit report

flood cert

CLO access fee

tax service fee

settlement/closing fee

Still pretty good.
Today's rates:30 yr fixed conforming (0 points) = 5.875%

30 yr fixed conforming (.625 points) = 5.625%

15 yr fixed conforming (0 points) = 5.00%

15 yr fixed conforming (.875 points) = 4.75%

ETA: there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason to how these rates jump all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rate at which the banks can borrow money drops, but the rate they offer customers stays the same or goes higher. That sucks majorly.

Some explanations of market rate fluctuations:

http://www.moving.com/Mortgage_and_Finance/Comment/index.asp

Some other info from a blog at Mortgage News Daily.

THE BEARS FIRE BACK ..............................1/31/08

Posted: 1/31/2008 9:34:00 AM

The 5.0% coupon has gained 8/32nds on the day currently

The 5.5% coupon has gained 4/32nds

As we discussed yesterday, the market reaction to the FOMC announcement was tepid and Thursday and Friday’s data could give us more direction.

It’s interesting that the data released today and tomorrow correlates directly with the reports.

Market direction will depend on your read of the data, but I maintain my general bearishness, especially after this morning’s data. I feel that we have clear indications that consumer participation is “trickling up” to its interdependent economic factors. The consumer drives the economy and one of the key factors that drives the consumer is credit.

Credit is no longer as available not only because of financial markets, but moreover because of the national retreat of home equity, which had previously allowed consumers to spend more, pay it off, and start spending again.

With respect to rates, we’re nearing the lows of last week, and of course, are in historically low territory. But it feels like the current market position is a stopping point on our way to somewhere else. The market is like a dog waiting to see which direction the ball is thrown. Its gaze is tightly fixed on its target, more than eagerly poised to react to any indication, ready to run as soon as the direction is confirmed.

To extend the metaphor, yesterday’s “juke” by the FOMC was unconvincing. The dog stayed put. Now we have made a much more entrapping feint to the opposite direction. If tomorrow’s economic data is in line with today’s, the dog will be convinced enough to take substantial steps in that direction. If the data refutes today’s, we will be right back to waiting to see where we stand. In general, technical factors suggest rates can go higher faster than they can go lower, and the market seems more eager to act on positive information at these levels.

So a short term lock recommendation is anyone’s guess. When the market is uncertain of the future, a reasonable strength of data will have an uncommonly drastic effect. Though my personal opinion is that the market has to decline mid to long term, you may wish you had locked today if economic numbers surprise tomorrow. To take somewhat of a stand, as long as inflation remains a back burner concern and data continues to support my bearishness, I think you’ll have today’s rate available to you 20 days from now. But as always, the conservative play is to lock when at historical lows. If I am justified in my cynicism, then, barring unexpected intervention, floating will be the more profitable decision.

It’s a good time to pay attention to the markets. Keep yourself educated, but form your own opinions as well. Stay tuned here as well.

Will the lackluster non-farm payroll report have affect mortgage rates? If so, how soon should consumers see a change in the rates banks are offering? Thanks.

I am about to lock with my CU at 5.5 (paying a point). 5.87% w/o the point. Thoughts? 30fixed.

I am about to lock with my CU at 5.5 (paying a point). 5.87% w/o the point. Thoughts? 30fixed.
1 point for 0.375% is pretty good. I haven't refinanced in a while, but looking above the spreads for an eighth (0.125%) were 0.625 and 0.75 points. Your spread is 0.333 points per 0.125%.Personally, with that spread, I would look at lower rates as well if the 0.333 points per eight works out well. Note that this is because I plan on this house being the long term house. If you aren't going to be in that house for a while, then paying points may not be smart.I think bankrate.com is a good place to go. Punch in the interest rates and see how much you would save a month and compare it to the point cost and see how many months it would be to break even. If that is less than what you think you will be in that house for, then buying points makes sense. If it is close to break even or you aren't sure how long you will stay, then it probably doesn't make sense. People move a lot more often than you would imagine. If you have kids in school, you probably won't move, but if you are pre-kids that space may get small quickly if you decide to have them.

1 point for 0.375% is pretty good. I haven't refinanced in a while, but looking above the spreads for an eighth (0.125%) were 0.625 and 0.75 points. Your spread is 0.333 points per 0.125%.Personally, with that spread, I would look at lower rates as well if the 0.333 points per eight works out well. Note that this is because I plan on this house being the long term house. If you aren't going to be in that house for a while, then paying points may not be smart.I think bankrate.com is a good place to go. Punch in the interest rates and see how much you would save a month and compare it to the point cost and see how many months it would be to break even. If that is less than what you think you will be in that house for, then buying points makes sense. If it is close to break even or you aren't sure how long you will stay, then it probably doesn't make sense. People move a lot more often than you would imagine. If you have kids in school, you probably won't move, but if you are pre-kids that space may get small quickly if you decide to have them.
I will admit, with my ADD you lost me with the spread talk. They wanted to get this done (My family has been dealing with them forever) so they came down to 5.5 with me paying the point because thats what I asked for. I am not going to be moving from this house at least for ten years so it seemed to make sense. Were you saying I should have looked at a 20 or 15 instead?

Eloan is listing a 30 yr fixed a 5.375% (5.559% APR), but I don't know about closing costs or points, etc.. :shrug:
Interesting.
Can someone explain the difference between the rate and the APR rate to me like I'm a 9th grader?Also, I haven't read the whole thread, but is the general consensus that they're heading down?

Eloan is listing a 30 yr fixed a 5.375% (5.559% APR), but I don't know about closing costs or points, etc.. :thumbdown:
Interesting.
Can someone explain the difference between the rate and the APR rate to me like I'm a 9th grader?Also, I haven't read the whole thread, but is the general consensus that they're heading down?
I don't know the difference either. I wouldn't have locked if I thought they were heading down, but i am far from an expert.

Eloan is listing a 30 yr fixed a 5.375% (5.559% APR), but I don't know about closing costs or points, etc.. :thumbup:
Interesting.
I don't know the difference either. I wouldn't have locked if I thought they were heading down, but i am far from an expert.
APR factors in the lender fees. It gives a much truer indication of the cost of the loan. If there is a big spread between the rate and the APR it means that the lender is charging high fees.

Eloan is listing a 30 yr fixed a 5.375% (5.559% APR), but I don't know about closing costs or points, etc.. :thumbup:
Interesting.
APR factors in the origination fee (e.g. points and other loan costs). It is designed so you can compare loans on an apples-to-apples basis. You can't just look at the stated rate because loans may have different fees up front, compounding, etc.

Thanks for the info. Hey Meno or Chad, if you are around, what do you think of 5.5 with a point today?

Thanks for the info. Hey Meno or Chad, if you are around, what do you think of 5.5 with a point today?
Seems high (relatively speaking). I closed 5.5 with no points last week and just yesterday saw a local bank advertising 5.625 with no points.

I will admit, with my ADD you lost me with the spread talk. They wanted to get this done (My family has been dealing with them forever) so they came down to 5.5 with me paying the point because thats what I asked for. I am not going to be moving from this house at least for ten years so it seemed to make sense. Were you saying I should have looked at a 20 or 15 instead?
Nope. I was saying that 0.333 points per 0.125% drop seems to be very good based on other posts above, which means I bet it would be better to pay a point to get 5.5 instead of no points, especially if you are going to be in the house that long.That said, aimloan.com has 5.5 and 0 points and 5.25% for 1 point, so you should check out a few other sites as well. Find out the closing costs good faith estimate (most places can email that to you) so you can compare everything. aimloan.com might not be the best, but they are easy to get rate quotes right on line and are probably in the better rate camp.

5.5 WITH a point sounds a bit high to me BUT you also have to know that I do not have rates in front of me and am going off what I am seeing and hearing rather than doing- if that makes sense. You can spend 30 min and call a few banks and look up a few places on the net to get a decent idea of what the 'average' rates are. If you do this, you can call a broker but be careful because it is not unknown for them to over promise to get you in the door and then turn a bait and switch. By all means, shop brokers too but just be careful.ETA: Keep in mind there are a lot of variables involved like where you live and if you have a jumbo or not so that 5.5% with a point could very well be a good deal at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the outlook for the next month or two? It seems like rates have had a slight uptick in the past 2 weeks just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what to expect going forward?

How is the outlook for the next month or two? It seems like rates have had a slight uptick in the past 2 weeks just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what to expect going forward?
I predict the opposite of what you'd like to see will happen.

Spec is that with inflation the yield on bonds will increase and therefore mortgage rates will go up. If you can re-fi and it makes sense for your situation, I would not be waiting around hoping rates go back down significantly any time soon.

We're locked in at a decent rate (not as good as 3 weeks ago, but :yes: ) with the hope that it will come down in the next 6 weeks.

Reuters article on the current state of the mortgage market...

U.S. Home Loan Demand Plunges as Interest Rates Soar

MORTGAGES, REAL ESTATE, HOUSING, CREDIT, SUBPRIME

By Reuters

Reuters

| 20 Feb 2008 | 03:03 PM ET

U.S. mortgage applications plunged last week, and demand hit its lowest level since the start of the year as interest rates surged, an industry group said on Wednesday.

The Mortgage Bankers Association said its seasonally adjusted index of mortgage applications, which includes both purchase and refinance loans, for the week ended Feb. 15 fell 22.6 percent to 822.8, the lowest level since the week ended Jan. 4.

The U.S. housing market is currently suffering one of the worst downturns in history. Last week's plummet in demand may indicate what is in store for the hard-hit sector this spring, which is the peak home-buying season.

Torsten Slok, senior economist at Deutsche Bank in New York, said the MBA's data helps cement his bearish view on the U.S. housing sector.

"Most housing indicators suggest that we may not get the spring selling season that we are hoping for," he said.

"By lowering interest rates the Fed is trying to boost demand for housing, but currently it is not only the level of interest rates that matters but also tight lending standards and limited availability of credit," Slok said.

It was the second straight week that the index fell, after having risen every week since the start of the year. The index in the prior week dropped by 2.1 percent.

Rising default rates in the subprime mortgage market, which caters to borrowers with poor credit histories, is one of the root causes of the problems plaguing the housing market. The market's meltdown has caused a widespread tightening of underwriting standards by lenders. Nowadays, larger down payments on a home and higher FICO scores are in many cases mandatory.

"The key issue is not interest rates, but the tightening of lending standards and that is going to be keeping things subdued for quite some time," Slok said.

Borrowing costs on 30-year fixed-rate mortgages, excluding fees, averaged 6.09 percent, up 0.37 percentage point from the previous week, the highest since late December.

Interest rates were below year-ago levels of 6.19 percent.

Mortgage rates have been rising along with U.S. Treasury yields recently. The benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury note yield briefly hit 3.915 percent on Tuesday, its highest since early January. Yields move inversely to price.

Overall mortgage applications last week were 35.6 percent above their year-ago level. The four-week moving average of mortgage applications, which smoothes the volatile weekly figures, was down 3.8 percent to 1,007.0.

Fixed 15-year mortgage rates averaged 5.55 percent, up from 5.18 percent the previous week. Rates on one-year adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) were unchanged at 5.72 percent.

Home Purchase Demand Nears 5-Year Low

Another indication the U.S. housing market is still on the skids was last week's drop in demand for home purchase loans.

The MBA's seasonally adjusted purchase index, widely considered a timely gauge of new home sales, dropped 11.5 percent to 357.6, its lowest level since April 25, 2003.

The index came in below its year-earlier level of 381.4, a drop of 6.2 percent.

Home purchase applications have has been trending lower over the past two months, but the drop has not been nearly as severe as the fall in home sales, according to Michelle Meyer, an economist at Lehman Brothers in New York.

"We continue to emphasize that mortgage applications are a poor indicator of future home sales," she said in commentary published Wednesday.

The drop in overall applications last week was largely driven by decreased demand for home refinancing loans. Consumers seeking to refinance their existing home loans tend to be highly sensitive to shifts in interest rates.

The group's seasonally adjusted index of refinancing applications decreased 27.9 percent to 3,533.8. The index was up 83.9 percent from its year-ago level of 1,921.1.

The refinance share of applications decreased to 61.7 percent from 67.4 percent the previous week. The ARM share of activity increased to 12.8 percent, up from 9.9 percent the previous week.

The MBA's soft data preceded a separate weak housing report.

The Commerce Department said permits to break new ground on U.S. homes in January decreased 3 percent to the lowest rate in more than 16 years while housing starts rose 0.8 percent.

Copyright 2008 Reuters. Click for restrictions.

Spec is that with inflation the yield on bonds will increase and therefore mortgage rates will go up. If you can re-fi and it makes sense for your situation, I would not be waiting around hoping rates go back down significantly any time soon.
I just checked the rate at the same bank we're doing our refi with (Pentagon Federal) and they are 1.25 point higher than they were on the day I locked. :jawdrop: We should close in early March on a 15 yr with 4.625%, which looks very very good right now.Many thanks to the OP and those who posted in this thread - I wasn't thinking seriously about refinancing until I saw some of the deals and rates here. Great resource.

I just checked the rate at the same bank we're doing our refi with (Pentagon Federal) and they are 1.25 point higher than they were on the day I locked. :unsure: We should close in early March on a 15 yr with 4.625%, which looks very very good right now.Many thanks to the OP and those who posted in this thread - I wasn't thinking seriously about refinancing until I saw some of the deals and rates here. Great resource.
:unsure: Nice rate!

I just checked the rate at the same bank we're doing our refi with (Pentagon Federal) and they are 1.25 point higher than they were on the day I locked. :goodposting: We should close in early March on a 15 yr with 4.625%, which looks very very good right now.Many thanks to the OP and those who posted in this thread - I wasn't thinking seriously about refinancing until I saw some of the deals and rates here. Great resource.
:confused: Nice rate!
Just closed today. Thanks again to those in this thread! :tipscap:

I closed last week on a fixed rate 5.625 with no points. I missed the low spot a bit but I am happy as I rolled in all costs, and still came out about $150 per month cheaper than my initial mortgage.

I just checked the rate at the same bank we're doing our refi with (Pentagon Federal) and they are 1.25 point higher than they were on the day I locked. :lmao: We should close in early March on a 15 yr with 4.625%, which looks very very good right now.Many thanks to the OP and those who posted in this thread - I wasn't thinking seriously about refinancing until I saw some of the deals and rates here. Great resource.
:confused: Nice rate!
Just closed today. Thanks again to those in this thread! :tipscap:
Yea, with inflation looking more and more here and here to stay I would say that we will not see those kind of rates for a long time.

Come on rates...I need a dip next week....let's go with a simple request for half a point....bring it to 5.5 or 5.6ish, let me get in, and then go as high as you like...

Come on rates...I need a dip next week....let's go with a simple request for half a point....bring it to 5.5 or 5.6ish, let me get in, and then go as high as you like...
Sorry but I think mortgage rates on 30 year fixed will keep going higher even as the fed lowers rates.

Here is a good link showing the growing spread between the 10-year treasury and 30-year fixed mortgage rates. The rates are for Orange County, California, but the spreads should be more or less applicable nationwide.

All of the Fed rate cuts don't seem to be helping much.

Here is a good link showing the growing spread between the 10-year treasury and 30-year fixed mortgage rates. The rates are for Orange County, California, but the spreads should be more or less applicable nationwide.

Actually it is likely helping put upward pressure on the 10 year treasury as that bill has to keep pace with inflation and the lower Fed rates helps increase inflationary pressures.

Actually it is likely helping put upward pressure on the 10 year treasury as that bill has to keep pace with inflation and the lower Fed rates helps increase inflationary pressures.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Are banks' savings account rates also tied to the 10-year treasury?

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Are banks' savings account rates also tied to the 10-year treasury?
The yield on the treasury bill needs to competitive in order to attrack investors. With inflation up it tends to pressure the yield up and when inflation is low it pressures it down. It is not a 1 for 1 type of effect, keep in mind, which is why I used the word 'pressure'. I think that rates may have some influence from the 10 year but it certainly is not the only factor. Banks look at interesting bearing deposits as 'cheap' funding. How 'cheap' it is depends on things like competition (you can generally get better interest rates in Chicago vs L.A.) and need (it is not a coincidence that you can get better rates at on-line accounts from E-Trade, WaMu, and Countrywide) among the first that come to mind. Smaller community/regional banks are more likely to give better rates because it costs more for them to raise capital otherwise vs say a large bank like BofA or Wells Fargo. Another factor is how they gain those deposits- this is why you can get better rates by going on-line than by walking in to a branch from banks like WaMu and Citi. It costs less for the on-line channel to gather deposits since there is no over head vs a branch where you pay the employees, lease, maintenance, etc.

Mortgage Backed Securities trading way down this morning after the positive earnings reports from Goldman & Lehman... should be interesting this afternoon what the additional fed cut does. I wouldn't count on rates getting much better. We were quoting 5.875% 30-year w/ no points yesterday. Anticipating possibly 5.75% this morning, but most likely a re-price for the worse coming this PM...

What means this? I just stumbled upon this thread. The wife and I are looking to refi. Currently we have a 30 year at 6.00 and an HELOC (variable) at 8.375. (The HELOC may have changed...that number was from 1/1). The HELOC is about 46k and we could probably pay good chunk of that off if we really wanted to, but right now I'd rather stay a little more liquid. What are my best options? Should I just refi the HELOC to a fixed rate and if so what is the going rate for that? Should I refi them both separately? Should I refi them both and combine (but probably have to pay PMI for a bit at that point)? I'm sure there's more info you guys need to give me good answers, just let me know what you need.

What means this? I just stumbled upon this thread. The wife and I are looking to refi. Currently we have a 30 year at 6.00 and an HELOC (variable) at 8.375. (The HELOC may have changed...that number was from 1/1). The HELOC is about 46k and we could probably pay good chunk of that off if we really wanted to, but right now I'd rather stay a little more liquid. What are my best options? Should I just refi the HELOC to a fixed rate and if so what is the going rate for that? Should I refi them both separately? Should I refi them both and combine (but probably have to pay PMI for a bit at that point)? I'm sure there's more info you guys need to give me good answers, just let me know what you need.
I think the rate on the HELOC is lower at this point due to fed rate cuts and the Fed is going to cut rates again today. I would wait until you know what the rate is before deciding.

I think the rate on the HELOC is lower at this point due to fed rate cuts and the Fed is going to cut rates again today. I would wait until you know what the rate is before deciding.
Just found a newer statement...the rate on the HELOC is now down to 7.125 as of the last statement. Am I likely better off getting this to a fixed rate or keeping it adjustable?

Just found a newer statement...the rate on the HELOC is now down to 7.125 as of the last statement. Am I likely better off getting this to a fixed rate or keeping it adjustable?
What's the term on the HELOC? If it's 10, or even 20, might not be worth rolling it into a 30 at a lower rate.

What's the term on the HELOC? If it's 10, or even 20, might not be worth rolling it into a 30 at a lower rate.
Why wouldn't you just pay it off? A HELOC is pretty liquid isn't it? And you're certainly not earning more than 7.125 on the money.

I'm embarrassed to say that when I read your question I didn't even know. I looked it up online and it says it is a 14 year term.

Users who are viewing this thread