What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortgage Rates (2 Viewers)

Random said:
The Noid said:
Polish Hammer said:
Redwes25 said:
Polish Hammer said:
Abraham said:
What means this? I just stumbled upon this thread. The wife and I are looking to refi. Currently we have a 30 year at 6.00 and an HELOC (variable) at 8.375. (The HELOC may have changed...that number was from 1/1). The HELOC is about 46k and we could probably pay good chunk of that off if we really wanted to, but right now I'd rather stay a little more liquid. What are my best options? Should I just refi the HELOC to a fixed rate and if so what is the going rate for that? Should I refi them both separately? Should I refi them both and combine (but probably have to pay PMI for a bit at that point)? I'm sure there's more info you guys need to give me good answers, just let me know what you need.
I think the rate on the HELOC is lower at this point due to fed rate cuts and the Fed is going to cut rates again today. I would wait until you know what the rate is before deciding.
Just found a newer statement...the rate on the HELOC is now down to 7.125 as of the last statement. Am I likely better off getting this to a fixed rate or keeping it adjustable?
What's the term on the HELOC? If it's 10, or even 20, might not be worth rolling it into a 30 at a lower rate.
Why wouldn't you just pay it off? A HELOC is pretty liquid isn't it? And you're certainly not earning more than 7.125 on the money.
I guess you make a good point. Truthfully, I haven't educated myself enough about this, in all likelihood. So if I were to plunk down say 20k against the HELOC, I can always re-access that if need be, right? Generally, how quickly can you access those funds?

Random said:
The Noid said:
Polish Hammer said:
Redwes25 said:
Polish Hammer said:
Abraham said:
What means this? I just stumbled upon this thread. The wife and I are looking to refi. Currently we have a 30 year at 6.00 and an HELOC (variable) at 8.375. (The HELOC may have changed...that number was from 1/1). The HELOC is about 46k and we could probably pay good chunk of that off if we really wanted to, but right now I'd rather stay a little more liquid. What are my best options? Should I just refi the HELOC to a fixed rate and if so what is the going rate for that? Should I refi them both separately? Should I refi them both and combine (but probably have to pay PMI for a bit at that point)? I'm sure there's more info you guys need to give me good answers, just let me know what you need.
I think the rate on the HELOC is lower at this point due to fed rate cuts and the Fed is going to cut rates again today. I would wait until you know what the rate is before deciding.
Just found a newer statement...the rate on the HELOC is now down to 7.125 as of the last statement. Am I likely better off getting this to a fixed rate or keeping it adjustable?
What's the term on the HELOC? If it's 10, or even 20, might not be worth rolling it into a 30 at a lower rate.
Why wouldn't you just pay it off? A HELOC is pretty liquid isn't it? And you're certainly not earning more than 7.125 on the money.
I guess you make a good point. Truthfully, I haven't educated myself enough about this, in all likelihood. So if I were to plunk down say 20k against the HELOC, I can always re-access that if need be, right? Generally, how quickly can you access those funds?
You should have a checkbook and/or debit card, from when you opened the line, that you use.

Random said:
The Noid said:
Polish Hammer said:
Redwes25 said:
Polish Hammer said:
Abraham said:
Correct, you can access up to your line of credit. Wire transfer takes 3 days for me. I never carry a balance if I have the funds.

Random said:
The Noid said:
Polish Hammer said:
Redwes25 said:
Polish Hammer said:
Abraham said:
You should have a checkbook and/or debit card, from when you opened the line, that you use.
I'm guessing then that the checkbook is sitting with the paperwork from when we signed it. It was part of our mortgage on the house, so we have never used it for anything else. I guess that part of me prefers to not view it as money to be accessed, but rather a debt that needs to be paid and closed, and that is my hesitancy towards using it as a true line of credit. Where would I look to find current fixed HELOC rates? Is my best bet to call the guy that set us up with our original mortgage or are there resources on the web that can help me here?

Random said:
The Noid said:
Polish Hammer said:
Redwes25 said:
Polish Hammer said:
Abraham said:
I'm guessing then that the checkbook is sitting with the paperwork from when we signed it. It was part of our mortgage on the house, so we have never used it for anything else. I guess that part of me prefers to not view it as money to be accessed, but rather a debt that needs to be paid and closed, and that is my hesitancy towards using it as a true line of credit. Where would I look to find current fixed HELOC rates? Is my best bet to call the guy that set us up with our original mortgage or are there resources on the web that can help me here?
Ok, I am going to ask you some questions. If you do not know then you have homework to find out the answers and then report back. When did you get this? You said it was part of your mortgage, did you do a 80/20 or 80/10/10 or some variation of this? How much have you paid down on both the mortgage and the HELOC AND what direction has the value of your house gone? Is it worth more or less than when you bought? If you paid off the HELOC would you still have any cash reserves or would it drain all that you currently have? Is there any pre-payment penalty on the HELOC? What is your credit like?

just beware of the fact that many lenders are now turning off the revolving feature of heloc and turning them into fixed mtgs. This can screw you if you prepay the loan and they then shut you down and lock it.

Ok, I am going to ask you some questions. If you do not know then you have homework to find out the answers and then report back.

When did you get this? May 2005

You said it was part of your mortgage, did you do a 80/20 or 80/10/10 or some variation of this? We did an 80/20. Got cash back and used it for projects around the house...redid kitchen, finished basement, new deck, general upgrading.

How much have you paid down on both the mortgage and the HELOC AND what direction has the value of your house gone? Is it worth more or less than when you bought? Original: $202,400/$50,600 Current: $195000/$45,300. House value has gone up. Purchased at $253k, now reasonably work $275k-280k or more.

If you paid off the HELOC would you still have any cash reserves or would it drain all that you currently have? We couldn't pay off the whole thing without draining reserves and selling stock. Not really interested in that route.

Is there any pre-payment penalty on the HELOC? No.

What is your credit like? Good - 720+
Answers above in bold. Thanks for your help!

Ok, I am going to ask you some questions. If you do not know then you have homework to find out the answers and then report back.

When did you get this? May 2005

You said it was part of your mortgage, did you do a 80/20 or 80/10/10 or some variation of this? We did an 80/20. Got cash back and used it for projects around the house...redid kitchen, finished basement, new deck, general upgrading.

How much have you paid down on both the mortgage and the HELOC AND what direction has the value of your house gone? Is it worth more or less than when you bought? Original: $202,400/$50,600 Current: $195000/$45,300. House value has gone up. Purchased at $253k, now reasonably work $275k-280k or more.

If you paid off the HELOC would you still have any cash reserves or would it drain all that you currently have? We couldn't pay off the whole thing without draining reserves and selling stock. Not really interested in that route.

Is there any pre-payment penalty on the HELOC? No.

What is your credit like? Good - 720+
Answers above in bold. Thanks for your help!
Ok, you likely do not have a HELOC at prime since normally 80/20's have prime + X and if you rate is currently 7.125% that confirms it. You have a solid 1st mortgage rate at 6% and I see no reason for you to touch that at all for now. Normally you can get prime + 0 or even prime - X (depending on lender) at 90% CLTV. With the numbers you gave me you should fit into that. You could go to your current lender and see what you could get for re-fi the 2nd with them or shop around a bit. This should lower your rate by at least one full point and if you continue to make your current payments it will increase the payoff on the 2nd or if you need the cash flow then it will increase it for you. With no pre-payment penalty and good credit I do not see any reason why not to do this. As noted by another poster, there are some lenders that are freezing Lines of Credit to protect themselves from owners who are in trouble and max out before they foreclose so I rather keep liquid than pay it down too much. Cash is king and with the current and upcoming economy troubles, you want that available.

just beware of the fact that many lenders are now turning off the revolving feature of heloc and turning them into fixed mtgs. This can screw you if you prepay the loan and they then shut you down and lock it.
:thumbup: This is why I caution people who prepay down debt on houses. If the banks get skittish and they lock you out of your equity, your position just became a LOT more illiquid.That doesn't mean to take money out of your home and spend it, but it is a very wise decision to have a lot of liquid savings that does not put capital at risk, even if it means sucking money out of your equity.

:thumbup: This is why I caution people who prepay down debt on houses. If the banks get skittish and they lock you out of your equity, your position just became a LOT more illiquid.That doesn't mean to take money out of your home and spend it, but it is a very wise decision to have a lot of liquid savings that does not put capital at risk, even if it means sucking money out of your equity.
Explain this to me using small words. I pay extra on my house every month. Are you telling me this is a bad thing?

:kicksrock: This is why I caution people who prepay down debt on houses. If the banks get skittish and they lock you out of your equity, your position just became a LOT more illiquid.That doesn't mean to take money out of your home and spend it, but it is a very wise decision to have a lot of liquid savings that does not put capital at risk, even if it means sucking money out of your equity.
Explain this to me using small words. I pay extra on my house every month. Are you telling me this is a bad thing?
He is talking specifically about Home Equity Lines of Credit. Some lenders are locking the ability to withdraw equity out of your line of credit. The purpose is to protect them from taking higher losses on potential foreclosures where owners tend to max out their lines when they are in trouble or know they will foreclose. What you do not want to do is drain all of your liquid cash reserves to pay down your line of credit (or for that matter your mortgage). I do not see any reason why you can not pay extra to your mortgage as long as you are doing it in a way that does not stress your cash flow or cash reserves.

BTW, Lending Tree is a waste of time. I got 4 "offers" for a re-fi but when I contacted all 4 they said those rates were not up-to-date and were a full point, or more, higher.

A Fed rate cut could send some mortgage rates even higher

Tuesday March 18, 5:01 pm ET

By David Goldman, CNNMoney.com staff writer

The Federal Reserve cut interest rates by three-quarters of a percentage point Tuesday, but don't expect mortgage rates to go down too. In fact, home loans could be heading higher.

Consider recent history: The Fed issued an emergency cut of short-term rates in early January, and then trimmed more just a few days later - but the 30-year fixed mortgage rate has responded by bouncing up from 5.6% to 6.4%.

The Fed's main tool is control over the short-term fed funds rate, which determines what banks charge each other for overnight loans. Long-term mortgage rates are mostly tied to the 10-year Treasury yield, which is determined by bond traders worldwide.

"There is a long disconnect between the fed funds rate and fixed mortgage rates," said Keith Gumbinger, vice president of mortgage and consumer loan information publisher HSH.com.

Inflation drives long-term fixed rates. When the Fed cuts short-term rates, the intent is to lower borrowing costs for corporations so that they'll invest and hire. But this economic growth can lead to inflation.

That in turn leads bond traders to demand higher rates on their long-term bonds - and that drives up mortgage rates too.

"Mortgage rates are determined by how fearful the market is of inflation," said Gumbinger.

The Fed began a series of cuts to its key interest rate last September, taking the rate to 2.25%, from 5.25%.

ARM borrowers may get help. There is more of a connection between Fed rate cuts and short-term and adjustable rate mortgages (ARMs). In fact, homeowners with ARM loans could see lower rates from further interest rate cuts.

Adjustable rate mortgages are pegged to a number of different indexes, including the one-year Treasury yield and the international Libor, or London Interbank Offered Rate, which tend to move with the Fed funds rate.

With Tuesday's rate cut, the cumulative effect of the Fed cuts could entirely offset what would have been a significant rate reset for many homeowners.

For instance, a borrower with an adjustable rate of 4.5% could have faced a rate reset up to 7.5% before the Fed started cutting rates in September. Before the rate cuts, that homeowner would have seen an increase of $370 in monthly payments on a $200,000 loan.

But after Tuesday that rate could reset only a little higher. And for some, the rate might not go up at all - and may actually drop - according to Greg McBride of Bankrate.com. "The Fed rate cuts far are more significant to [borrowers with ARMs] in terms of staving off delinquencies on loans," he said.

Long-term rate solution. Sending long-term fixed rates back down will be more complicated than fixing inflation, because the continuing housing crisis is also exacerbating the rise in long-term fixed rates.

Generally mortgage rates are about 2 percentage points higher than the yield on the 10-year Treasury, which currently stands at 3.29%.

But the housing market is in such turmoil that rates are even higher right now, with lenders concerned that borrowers will not be able to pay back loans.

"The 30-year fixed rate mortgage should be at 5.5%, but instead it's above 6%," said McBride. "The 30-year jumbo loan [a large mortgage that is not federally guaranteed] is a full two percentage points higher than it should be."

So for long-term fixed mortgage rates to go down, the Fed must successfully make banks more willing to lend again.

Mortgage Brokers: Has there been any response in rates so far to the announcement by federal regulators to loosen Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's reserve requirements? I would think that this would be the best news from Washington so far in terms of pumping liquidity into the system.

The downside is that Fannie Mae and Freddie now have a mandate to get a lot more aggressive putting their own solvency at stake (at the expense of taxpayers).

Mortgage Brokers: Has there been any response in rates so far to the announcement by federal regulators to loosen Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's reserve requirements? I would think that this would be the best news from Washington so far in terms of pumping liquidity into the system.

The downside is that Fannie Mae and Freddie now have a mandate to get a lot more aggressive putting their own solvency at stake (at the expense of taxpayers).
That was my reaction to this. Possible help but also a possible even bigger problem to have to work thru later on if credit quality drops even further. Fannie and Freddie have not been the most perfect orgs at keeping their books straight. That is worrisome.

Mortgage Brokers: Has there been any response in rates so far to the announcement by federal regulators to loosen Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's reserve requirements?
Rates were moving down today to around 5.5% with no points on a 30 year note. On the other hand we are seeing changes almost daily to making the guidelines for qualifying far more stringent.

Mortgage Brokers: Has there been any response in rates so far to the announcement by federal regulators to loosen Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's reserve requirements?
Rates were moving down today to around 5.5% with no points on a 30 year note. On the other hand we are seeing changes almost daily to making the guidelines for qualifying far more stringent.
You guys who are shopping should jump on that yesterday IMO. Don't be greedy, you will lose. :thumbup:

You guys who are shopping should jump on that yesterday IMO. Don't be greedy, you will lose. :thumbup:
I can't get anywhere near that (DE) without putting out for at least 3 points.

You guys who are shopping should jump on that yesterday IMO. Don't be greedy, you will lose. :loco:
I can't get anywhere near that (DE) without putting out for at least 3 points.
Unless you have some type of negative mitigating factor or a very low loan amount that should not be the case. Look around a little on sites like www.bankrate.com and www.loanrates.com or send me a PM if you want and I'll tell you the scoop. BTW-Anyone who might be currently looking for a house right now and got prequalified on a 100% loan better hurry. Those loans are expected to be gone by tomorrow but most investors will allow the loan if you get it locked by tomorrow.

I spoke to a mortgage broker two days ago and they were buzzing. They were expecting another cut that afternoon that could drop prime 3/4 of a point. (I didn't pay attention to see if that actually happened). Bottom line -- she seems to think she get get me into a conforming jumbo 30 year at a decent rate. I'd rather lock that in now than have this floating HELOC hanging over my head. Time to start building some equity, young man...

I spoke to a mortgage broker two days ago and they were buzzing. They were expecting another cut that afternoon that could drop prime 3/4 of a point. (I didn't pay attention to see if that actually happened). Bottom line -- she seems to think she get get me into a conforming jumbo 30 year at a decent rate. I'd rather lock that in now than have this floating HELOC hanging over my head. Time to start building some equity, young man...
Is NYC going through a real estate melt down, or has it not really been affected by sub prime b.s.?

I called Countrywide two days ago to find out if they would give me options. They offered 5.75 30 year fixed with about $2,500 in closing costs. FYI

We just locked in at 5 7/8ths. I'm just happy it went below 6% again. I didn't want to gamble that it might drop a little further. Under 6% is still a great rate historically.

Is NYC going through a real estate melt down, or has it not really been affected by sub prime b.s.?
We've been beat up too, at least in the outer boroughs (I'm in Brooklyn). The values of apartments in my condo building have been all over the place, and recently similar apartments have been selling at the same price I bought mine at 3 years ago. Frustrating...

What about the jumbos? The spread between jumbos and conforming loans has been getting wider and wider since September.

What about the jumbos? The spread between jumbos and conforming loans has been getting wider and wider since September.
And the spread will probably remain wide for quite some time. Jumbo rate's are a tad over 7% right now on a 30 year fixed. Did you check to see if you are in an area that will allow for the new conforming jumbo amount? The rates for this run about half a point higher than a normal conforming loan but are much better than a standard jumbo loan. Other than that what I am seeing most borrowers do is a first mortgage at $417,000 and than adding a second mortgage behind it.

Any news about rates today? I have a friend who is looking at doing a refi now, and it looks like the Pentagon Federal rates are at 6.125% for a 30 yr fixed with no points. They pay just about half of the closing costs, which is nice, but it would be good to find her something under 6%, as it sounds like that is out there.

Any news about rates today? I have a friend who is looking at doing a refi now, and it looks like the Pentagon Federal rates are at 6.125% for a 30 yr fixed with no points. They pay just about half of the closing costs, which is nice, but it would be good to find her something under 6%, as it sounds like that is out there.
No joke. I'm "stuck" at 6.125 and my closing is Monday. Hopefully I can painlessly refi soon after closing at something below 6.

We've been beat up too, at least in the outer boroughs (I'm in Brooklyn). The values of apartments in my condo building have been all over the place, and recently similar apartments have been selling at the same price I bought mine at 3 years ago. Frustrating...
Yes I'm noticing that even prices in Manhattan are finally starting to level off. Nothing is dropping but prices are flat and it seems properties are staying on the market much longer. There's definitely no sub-prime meltdown here, mostly due to high demand/low supply and strict co-op rules (20% down, etc) but it seems to be cooling off a bit.

Here's what I'm told we can get now from the bank currently holding our 20 year fixed:

15 Year Fixed Rate

Rate - 5.25%

APR - 5.259%

Points - none

I think we've gotta jump on that. Go with that and a bi-monthly payment and we'd be paid off in about 12 years. Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I'm told we can get now from the bank currently holding our 20 year fixed:15 Year Fixed RateRate - 5.25%APR - 5.259%Points - noneI think we've gotta jump on that. Go with that and a bi-monthly payment and we'd be paid off in about 12 years. Nice!
Since they are already holding your mortgage, does that give you a break on closing costs? In general, is it a good idea to start with a call to your existing mortgage holder to see what they can do for you in a refi?

No joke. I'm "stuck" at 6.125 and my closing is Monday. Hopefully I can painlessly refi soon after closing at something below 6.
Your not stuck with 6.125% till you close and even then in most states you have a 3 day right of recession. I'd be on the phone with your mortgage broker and tell them you want a lower rate and do not let them tell you it can't be done or there is not a lower rate. Let them know you will postpone the closing, this is a very important financial decision and you deserve the lowest rate available. Granted 2 weeks ago we hovered around 6.125%, but now rates around 5.625%-5.75% (no points). I have been locking in people today for 30 days w loan amounts around 200K at 5.625% 0pts.

Rates are starting to tick down, so if your in the process and you have a rate at 6% or higher, shop around for there are a lot of mortgage brokers climbing over each other for business... HTH

When you call your current mortgage holder to refi how much would it be score driven. Would Debt to income and usage % on credit cards be a factor of approval? Would it be as stringent as when you originally got your loan?

Your not stuck with 6.125% till you close and even then in most states you have a 3 day right of recession. I'd be on the phone with your mortgage broker and tell them you want a lower rate and do not let them tell you it can't be done or there is not a lower rate. Let them know you will postpone the closing, this is a very important financial decision and you deserve the lowest rate available.

Granted 2 weeks ago we hovered around 6.125%, but now rates around 5.625%-5.75% (no points). I have been locking in people today for 30 days w loan amounts around 200K at 5.625% 0pts.

Rates are starting to tick down, so if your in the process and you have a rate at 6% or higher, shop around for there are a lot of mortgage brokers climbing over each other for business... HTH
Thanks for the advice. I've got a call into my atty and lender now and hopefully we'll see some action before Monday afternoon.

When you call your current mortgage holder to refi how much would it be score driven. Would Debt to income and usage % on credit cards be a factor of approval? Would it be as stringent as when you originally got your loan?
Unless it's an FHA streamline refinance the loan requirements will be the same as when you originally got your loan. If anything the guidelines could be more difficult since guidelines as a whole have gotten more stringent. If your loan is not an FHA streamline than your credit score could have an impact on your rate. Debt to income would be a factor in determining approval but most loan are approved on automated approval systems and debt to income is just one facet of the loan approval process which is looked at. With other strong factors one can get approved with very high debt to income levels.

Here's what I'm told we can get now from the bank currently holding our 20 year fixed:15 Year Fixed RateRate - 5.25%APR - 5.259%Points - noneI think we've gotta jump on that. Go with that and a bi-monthly payment and we'd be paid off in about 12 years. Nice!
You might do better if you check around. I've got rates as low as 5% with no points on a 15 year fixed but factors such as state the property is located, loan size, credit score, loan purpose and if you want to escrow for taxes and insurance are all some of the main factors which help determine the interest rate.

Okay, a couple of questions here.

My ARM unlock last Novemember. It was through the VA, and was at 4.25% initially for 3 years. It is limited in that it can only move 1% point a year, and for 5 years.

I just got a notice that they've raised it to 4.35%. Does this mean that this is my new rate for the entire next year? Or can they move it more this year? Also, the 5 years it can adjust, does that mean that now the MAXIMUM rate I could face is now 8.35% instead of 9.25%???

I was thinking I was going to refi, but now I'm not so sure.

So what's the English translation for this blog?

I check it here and there but don't understand what all the FNMA and 100.5 stuff means as far as a good/bad sign for rates from a customer's perspective.

So what's the English translation for this blog?

I check it here and there but don't understand what all the FNMA and 100.5 stuff means as far as a good/bad sign for rates from a customer's perspective.
Not sure what the charts mean, but he sure seems optimistic that rates will go down.
This strengthens my resolve that we will see a period of extremely low rates some time in the near (how near?) future. We'll know more about the time frame as we get more data this week, but assuming there were to be no more data this week, we know we have to wait as long as it takes for these demolished consumers' trickle of non-participation to work it's way down to stocks. Certainly they've been trickling already, but there is more trickle down to come. In the absence of crushing MBS related news, this sets the stage for all time low mortgage rates, especially if the recent track record of "liquidity protection" by the Fed and others holds up.
I may have to put my guy on alert. I have refinanced with him before and way back when in Summer 2003, he got me a 0 point (discount and origination) 4.875% 30 year fixed. Unfortunately, I moved 3 years afterwards, so although the break even point was well before I moved on closing costs, I really, really miss that rate.

Okay, a couple of questions here.My ARM unlock last Novemember. It was through the VA, and was at 4.25% initially for 3 years. It is limited in that it can only move 1% point a year, and for 5 years.I just got a notice that they've raised it to 4.35%. Does this mean that this is my new rate for the entire next year? Or can they move it more this year? Also, the 5 years it can adjust, does that mean that now the MAXIMUM rate I could face is now 8.35% instead of 9.25%???I was thinking I was going to refi, but now I'm not so sure.
Can't really answer that unless got a chance to look at your loan docs. ARM's come in many shapes, sizes, and colors.

anyone notice what charles schwab is offering?

we just got a 3/1 libor arm 10 year IO at 4.352%.

not bad yeah?

right...no points...
They are showing that rate today at 5.356% but the APR is 4.917 which means nothing to your payment. Are you sure your rate is 4.352% or could that be your APR? Either way it's a solid deal and way below what they are offering right now and you should be happy with it but I would double check if it is your rate or APR.

That's the interest rate and not the APR. Locked it in about 10 days ago. We actually have a float on it (they call it "rate protect", so it could go down as low as 4.1 prior to close. That's the max.

That's the interest rate and not the APR. Locked it in about 10 days ago. We actually have a float on it (they call it "rate protect", so it could go down as low as 4.1 prior to close. That's the max.
That makes sense. The ARM market has soared upwards over the past week to the point were it's running pretty close to 30 year fixed loan rates on conforming loans. You got a great deal.

thanks for the confirmation guys. wifey used to be a broker, is now a stay at home mom...but still has contacts at the old office. they turned us on to this deal as they couldn't touch it.

eta...waiting on the appraisal now. anyone care to bet how far it's fallen since the last one got 3 years ago? we are in SF bay area...sonoma co.

Stopping by to say :unsure: to Meno Brown, who did the loan for the wife and I. We closed on Friday and it couldn't have gone more smoothly. In fact, I didn't even talk to him once via phone until the day before closing when the title company started freaking out for no reason. Aside from that, it was all low-stress email.

Great rate and payment? :check:

Great service? :check:

Wife is happy? :check: :check: :check:

Abe > :hifive: <Meno Brown.

If you are buying in Texas or anywhere else he serves, I can not recommend Meno enough. :yes:

FFA Ecosystem at its finest.

FBG mortgage brokers, did you notice any move downward in rates today for high cost markets following Freddie Mac's announcement that they are now buying conforming jumbo mortgages?

I'm curious as to the extent this will help the struggling high cost markets considering that the LTVs will be capped at 90% (along with the other credit score hurdles that I believe are also required but not mentioned in the press release).

FREDDIE MAC TO BUY CONFORMING JUMBO MORTGAGES IN HIGH COST MARKETS FROM WELLS FARGO, CHASE, CITIMORTGAGE, WAMU

Temporary Stimulus Act Authority May Add $10-$15 Billion in Mortgage Sales This Year

McLean, VA – Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE) has agreed to purchase billions of dollars of new conforming jumbo mortgages with original loan amounts up to $729,750 from Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, Chase, CitiMortgage and WaMu. Freddie Mac conforming jumbo mortgages can be used to finance properties in hundreds of high cost markets designated in the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 President Bush signed on February 13.

Today's announcement marks the first large-scale effort to jump-start the stalled jumbo mortgage market under the Economic Stimulus Act, which temporarily raised Freddie Mac's conforming loan limit from $417,000 to as much as $729,750 through December 31, 2008. Freddie Mac's purchase of conforming jumbo mortgages is restricted to 224 high cost markets where median home prices exceed Freddie Mac's $417,000 loan limit.

As a result, qualified borrowers can now apply for an array of fixed-rate or adjustable rate conforming jumbo mortgages that will be less expensive than non-conforming jumbo loans in high cost markets. Borrowers can use Freddie Mac conforming jumbo mortgages to finance up to 90% of a property's value.

Because Freddie Mac is buying the new conforming jumbo mortgages for its portfolio, Wells Fargo, Chase, CitiMortgage and WaMu will have instant liquidity and can offer a stable jumbo market rate to qualified borrowers. By working with Wells Fargo, Chase, CitiMortgage, WaMu and other national lenders, Freddie Mac expects to finance between $10 and $15 billion in new jumbo mortgages in 2008.

"Purchasing conforming jumbo mortgages for our portfolio shows how we can bring new liquidity to markets other investors have all but abandoned and make full use of the new tools Congress gave us to help restore stability during the current housing crisis," said Freddie Mac Chairman and CEO Richard Syron. "We initially expect conforming jumbo mortgages to have rates that are as much as half a percentage point below the jumbo market rate in many of these high cost markets."

"I want to thank Wells Fargo, Chase, CitiMortgage and WaMu for working with us and enabling us, in a new way, to fulfill our public mission to America's lenders and borrowers," Syron added.

"CitiMortgage applauds Freddie Mac for agreeing to buy loans for these qualifying borrowers, and we are looking forward to working with Freddie and borrowers to improve housing affordability in these higher cost markets," said Bill Beckmann, CitiMortgage president.

"These new conforming jumbo mortgages will reduce homeownership costs for families in high-cost areas," said Dave Lowman, CEO of Chase Home Lending. "Freddie Mac's involvement will help increase availability."

"We value our relationship with Freddie Mac which enables us to collectively do great things for consumers," said Mike Heid, co-president of Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. "While Wells Fargo has offered jumbo loans directly to consumers throughout the current market correction, this important agreement provides a reliable investor for loans in high-cost areas which, in turn, further broadens our ability to serve these customers."

While specific product availability may vary by lender, Freddie Mac has said it will buy 15-, 20-, 30- and 40-year fixed-rate, fully amortizing conforming jumbo mortgages; 30-year fixed-rate mortgages with 10-year interest-only periods; fully amortizing 5/1 adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) and 5/1 ARMs with 10-year interest-only periods. Qualified borrowers can also obtain cash-out refinance conforming jumbo mortgages that provide a maximum cash-out of $100,000.

For more information on Freddie Mac conforming jumbo mortgage products, visit www.freddiemac.com/singlefamily/increased_limits.html.

Users who are viewing this thread