What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortgage Rates (6 Viewers)

DA RAIDERS said:
@skycriesmary  called your dude.   :lmao:    he better buy you a nice xmas gift.  he started laughing, when i told him i was from the football website.  he's getting back to me later with some numbers.  i'll let you all know what he quotes me.
He might as well get a username over here.

Just finished a no-cost 30-year refi with LenderFi at 3.6% (apparently our townhouse was registered as a Condo by the builder when they built the development - saved them money at the time but costs us extra as condos get about a quarter percent higher APR). Painless, knocked about $300/month off the payment, and I was extremely pleased at how well it went. 

LenderFi immediately sold the note to Wells Fargo just like they did with Foos. Having had Wells Fargo on a previous mortage, I'm less than thrilled. If rates go down enough to make it worth my while to refi again and get away from them, I'll jump on it, but otherwise I just need them to be freaking normal for once. Still, in the end I'm saving big money.

Big  :hifive:  to @skycriesmary for his contact!

cap'n grunge said:
I see a 15 down to 2.875%. 
That's what mine is at and just today I sat down and was thinking through the plusses and minuses of cutting the bank a big check and being done with all debt.  

Wells Fargo, if it matters.  I don't think they've opened up 8 checking accounts for me yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
skycriesmary said:
Funny stuff. I hope it works out for you, he's come through for a lot of people I've referred to him. In all seriousness, I might check out working for Lenderfi, as the company I work for is likely going belly up.
Curious if it’s the same LenderFi guy I used. The senior loan processor was great as well. She responded promptly to any questions I had right away at all times of the day. 

New purchase

Put in an offer late last night, waiting for acceptance/counter.

Got quoted at 2.875% 15 year with 10% down and a PMI of $22/mo

I was going to put 20% down, but seems like I should just keep the extra 10% if they are going to charge me $22 for it....am I thinking about that right?

I was going to put 20% down, but seems like I should just keep the extra 10% if they are going to charge me $22 for it....am I thinking about that right?
Cheap enough interest that you might be better off keeping cash or investments, but you're burning the $244 annually, whereas if you put 20% down, your monthly payment decreases and you have more equity. 

Streamline Refinance

Zero closing, reduce interest rate by .50% but back to a 30-year loan.

Good or bad?

Streamline Refinance

Good or bad?
For zero closing costs, I would say any rate drop would be a no brainer.

You don't have to pay off at a 30 year loan rate. Calculate a payment based on the # of payments left in your original loan and pay at that rate. It will still be lower than your current payment and paid off at the same time.

You don't have to pay off at a 30 year loan rate. Calculate a payment based on the # of payments left in your original loan and pay at that rate. It will still be lower than your current payment and paid off at the same time.
Loan would go to 3.385 and a $50 each month. Roll that money into the new loan payment does seem like a no brained. Just wondering if there is anything shady about this new loan type. I’d like my mortgage insurance off but that can’t happen apparently. 

At below 3.5%, I wouldn't worry about paying it off at all. 

But that's just me.

Streamline Refinance

Good or bad?
So here's one way to look at it.

Let's assume you have $100,000 left to pay.  You have 15 years left paying that off.  Your current rate is 3.5%. 

Someone offers you to refinance at 0% interest but you are back to 30 years.  Would you pass on that?

I would hope the obvious answer is no chance. 

In other words, the time frame you are paying is irrelevant except for very few circumstances (upcoming retirement, peace of mind being mortgage/debt free ASAP, etc).  Otherwise, if you can drop your interest rate at no cost, you take it every time. 

So how does this LenderFi thing work?  I'll take a PM.

Also, what happens if I refi, but then want to sell in like a year?  Is there a penalty?
Not that I'm aware of.  Mortgage lenders collect fees up front (origination fee, finance charges, etc. for writing the loan), and many sell the notes afterwards and never collect on the interest anyway.  Mortgage broker would know better though, but I had no issues with a house I refinanced and then sold a year later (2016-2017).   Figuring we're talking traditional 15/30 mortgage.

Let's assume you have $100,000 left to pay.  You have 15 years left paying that off.  Your current rate is 3.5%. 

Someone offers you to refinance at 0% interest but you are back to 30 years.  Would you pass on that?

In other words, the time frame you are paying is irrelevant except for very few circumstances (upcoming retirement, peace of mind being mortgage/debt free ASAP, etc).  Otherwise, if you can drop your interest rate at no cost, you take it every time. 
And take this another step further.

Would you take a 30 year mortgage at 3.5% or a 15 year mortgage at 3.5%?

Again, I think the answer is obvious. It's why 15 year fixed loans have lower rates than 30 year fixed.

While you pay more interest, the extra time you get to use someone else's money while you do better things with your money pays off in the long run. 

So at an equivalent rate, you take the longer option anyway. With the longer option having a better rate? No brainer.

Just got off the phone and have to be patient now with the paper work. Apparently the new loan will begin with February payment.

Details = current loan payment is $1,137 (year 2047) but I've paid $1,237 each month. That would have saved me 71 months (Nov 2041).

new loan payment will be $1,060 (year 2050). If I pay $100 more @ $1,160, that will be 23.3 years but if I pay the $1,237, that will be 2040.

He didn't have these numbers calculated and I was hoping he was ready with some other numbers but he wasn't.

Bottom line, and someone can maybe help me out, but the interest went from 3.875% to 3.375% with a $77 dollars saved each month = $924 per year.

Not sure how else to put it but it seems like a good deal.

So how does this LenderFi thing work?  I'll take a PM.

Also, what happens if I refi, but then want to sell in like a year?  Is there a penalty?
Don't know specifically about LenderFi, but prepayment penalties are pretty rare these days. They are prohibited by the big government mortgage financiers like Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, VA, etc. In the rare case there is a prepayment penalty, the lender should specify if there is any penalty upfront and be very clear about it due to truth in lending laws.

I think some lending officers will ask you not to prepay or refinance within the first 6 months, but that usually has more to do with them wanting to sell it off for a fee or for them to get credit for making your loan towards the compensation they get from their employer.

Yes, I wouldn't complain.

I'm refinancing my VA loan at 3.29%, no points and using the capital to pay the 1% origination fee so no out-of-pocket.
30 year? 

I'd almost take that just to get some of the equity. No origination fee (VA rating)

Yes, I wouldn't complain.

I'm refinancing my VA loan at 3.29%, no points and using the capital to pay the 1% origination fee so no out-of-pocket.
I think you can do better with a VA loan. Shop around and make the lenders compete. 

Depends highly on the interest rate but generally around 1%.
It's much higher than that and depends on the loan product as well. Loan officer comp alone is higher than that and you know mortgage companies aren't losing money originating loans.

30 year? 

I'd almost take that just to get some of the equity. No origination fee (VA rating)
Yes, 30 year. There is an origination fee, but no funding fee (VA rating).  All-in-all I'm looking at $3000 in total costs to refinance about $246k.  I'm going to roll that $3000 into the mortgage so I don't have to pay anything at closing.  It is only $3000, but if I can keep cash on hand I will.  

I think you can do better with a VA loan. Shop around and make the lenders compete. 
I will check with other then too, thanks.   

I got the 3.29% rate locked on Thursday.  Was working with a different lender at a higher rate (3.75) which was locked in a month ago.  We were supposed to close next week but with rates dropping more I cancelled.  They said I would have to wait 30 days to re-lock in at a different rate.  And that banks can't just re-lock rates daily to play the market???    I don't know how true that is so I started shopping around to give my current lender something to try and beat.  

I will check with other then too, thanks.   

I got the 3.29% rate locked on Thursday.  Was working with a different lender at a higher rate (3.75) which was locked in a month ago.  We were supposed to close next week but with rates dropping more I cancelled.  They said I would have to wait 30 days to re-lock in at a different rate.  And that banks can't just re-lock rates daily to play the market???    I don't know how true that is so I started shopping around to give my current lender something to try and beat.  
That is very true and the length of time depends on the lender. You should be able to beat 3.29% with a 1% origination fee. Make sure you're comparing both the rate and lender fees when shopping.

New purchase

Put in an offer late last night, waiting for acceptance/counter.

Got quoted at 2.875% 15 year with 10% down and a PMI of $22/mo

I would do that in a second, if they offered it..

Just got off the phone and have to be patient now with the paper work. Apparently the new loan will begin with February payment.

Details = current loan payment is $1,137 (year 2047) but I've paid $1,237 each month. That would have saved me 71 months (Nov 2041).

new loan payment will be $1,060 (year 2050). If I pay $100 more @ $1,160, that will be 23.3 years but if I pay the $1,237, that will be 2040.

He didn't have these numbers calculated and I was hoping he was ready with some other numbers but he wasn't.

Bottom line, and someone can maybe help me out, but the interest went from 3.875% to 3.375% with a $77 dollars saved each month = $924 per year.

Not sure how else to put it but it seems like a good deal.
Been thinking things over. I have three options.

1. Pay my new loan amount of $1,060 a month and free up $2,100 a year to invest or something.... 30 year loan = 2050

2. Pay my new loan amount +$100 (which I had been doing) of $1,160 and use $900 to invest or something.... ~24ish year loan = 2044

3. Pay the same amount $1,240 and not change a thing (not much investment by a good portion).... ~20 year loan = 2040

The real question is would the pulled back money, if invested, out gain the interest lost had I paid more up front? The markets have been good the past couple of years for me but because I bought the house, I did not invest as much due to house payments and the like. Curious what thoughts others may have.

Refi on a 30 year with crappy rate to a 15 year @3.15.   I'll take it.
Did you shop it at all? Can you still change?

If so, I've seen as low as 2.75 lately on a 15 yr and that might be worth checking out. Your call if its worth the trouble, but .4% is pretty big. About a 12% discount on your current bid (in interest).

Hi Fellas,  

I’m currently 5 years into a 30 year fixed at 3.875.   Mortgage guy says he can get me to 3.25 (no points) on another 30 yr fixed.  

I don’t need to pull out money.  Is it enough to be worth the refi?   Or am I in too far to refi for less than a point?

Hi Fellas,  

I’m currently 5 years into a 30 year fixed at 3.875.   Mortgage guy says he can get me to 3.25 (no points) on another 30 yr fixed.  

I don’t need to pull out money.  Is it enough to be worth the refi?   Or am I in too far to refi for less than a point?

I'm assuming "no points" doesn't mean no costs. So you'd have those to consider. Depending on how much the fees are, you can figure out how long you'd need to stay there to recoup those costs. If you plan to stay there at least that long, then it's worth it.

am getting ready to buy a beach condo out in eastern NC.  going for a local lender to expedite the process and got a quote of 3.95% for 30.  given the risks, this seems like free money to me.

Got a call from one of those VA loan selling places, the ones that push you to refi with them. 

Gal told me any VA loan over 2% is too high. But she wouldn't answer my question "assume my credit is perfect, what rate could you offer?" 

With today's cuts, what are we looking at mortgage wise now?

Got a call from one of those VA loan selling places, the ones that push you to refi with them. 

Gal told me any VA loan over 2% is too high. But she wouldn't answer my question "assume my credit is perfect, what rate could you offer?" 

With today's cuts, what are we looking at mortgage wise now?
Just looked at Navy Fed. 3.0 for 30 years. With origination fee and buying 0.5 points. The difference between current mortgage and that is 110 months to break even. 

I'm thinking that's not worthwhile...

Just looked at Navy Fed. 3.0 for 30 years. With origination fee and buying 0.5 points. The difference between current mortgage and that is 110 months to break even. 

I'm thinking that's not worthwhile...
Yeah, that's tough. Hard to predict that far out. Probably worth waiting to see if it comes down even more, I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread