What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (4 Viewers)

"Pieces" as in "that team has some nice pieces" in reference to players on the team. Just call them players.

Not that I hate this phrase, but it is becoming an epidemic among sportscasters...

"Dialing up the blitz"

I really like the dialing up part and might use it in more everyday situations. "Hey Brenda, could you dial up some coffee, I'm trying to crank out some reports over here." or "I'm just going to dial up a sandwich real quick, then I'll be over to dial up some sweet loving on you baby."

"Really?" and "Seriously?" as attempts at some sort of sarcastic commentary. The MS phone commercials indicate that these need to die immediately. If you're using these that way, please stop, you're the clown in that conversation regardless of whatever the other person did that you are not cleverly responding to.

Last edited by a moderator:
"This text comes from the 503".

Not sure why sports talk radio guys started doing this, but I wish they would stop. Sounds like something that would be said on American Idol. Has no business being in sports talk.

Gr00vus said:
"Really?" and "Seriously?" as attempts at some sort of sarcastic commentary. The MS phone commercials indicate that these need to die immediately. If you're using these that way, please stop, you're the clown in that conversation regardless of whatever the other person did that you are not cleverly responding to.
came here to post thisand"came here to post this"

Gr00vus said:
welcome aboard. :goodposting:
"Really?" <------------this started out fairly annoyingly and has grown into one of the most annoying sayings today.It might only be topped by, "It is what it is."

"foils", when referring to powerpoint slides. I have no idea what the origin of this term is, but it grates on me for no particular reason.

Gr00vus said:
welcome aboard. :unsure:
"Really?" <------------this started out fairly annoyingly and has grown into one of the most annoying sayings today.It might only be topped by, "It is what it is."
Gr00vus said:
came here to post thisand"came here to post this"
How do we feel about "for reals?" Is that related to this or is it a separate (and yet still possibly annoying on its own) thing?

"dime" instead of an assist in basketball

"going forward"

"High level overview" People at my work say it all the time. Its freakin annoying.

"A rising tide lifts all boats."

A special "give it a rest" to Christopher Harris of ESPN for running this into the ground.

I heard Simon Wilcotts on a sports talk show a couple of days ago. I think he used "at the end of the day" in every other sentence. As an added bonus he threw the "do you know what the definition of insanity is?" hokum out there too. Dude's a maroon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard Simon Wilcotts on a sports talk show a couple of days ago. I think he used "at the end of the day" in every other sentence. As an added bonus he threw in the "do you know what the definition of insanity is?" hokum out there too. Dude's a maroon.
Oh that made me think of another. When a sports guy goes "the [insert name here]'s of the world." For example "The Hines Wards of the world," "The Hank Basketts of the world," "the Jay Cutlers of the world."

Users who are viewing this thread