What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Johhny Damon (1 Viewer)

.789 career OPS. Pretty good basestealer, but he's no Rickey. Pretty good defensive player in his prime, but not a gold glover. He has a ring, and he's somewhat famous because he played for the Sox and Yanks, but he's not really that big of a name.

I don't even think he's a lock for the mythical "Hall of Very Good" that gets thrown around. He could probably get into that on the second ballot. Hall of Fame? No way.

Could reach 3000 hits if he keeps up his current production for another five years. Of course, we're talking about his late 30s so that's pretty unlikely.

Is Damon a better option than Kenny Lofton or Brett Butler at this point? I suppose we can revisit this after Damon retires, but at this point I'd have to say no . . . and he's not even close yet IMO.

I don't think so. He probably won't get in, but to completely dismiss him would be a mistake.- He has a decent chance at 3,000 hits, 1,000 walks and 1,750 RS.- He has a boatload of stolen bases.- Played capably in the outfield, noodle arm notwithstanding.- He played a key role in leading two storied franchises to championships.- He has never been in trouble off the field, which we've seen can be a factor.- Lastly, he's pretty much above suspicion in the steroid era, which can't be understated.
Johnny Damon says he made the choice not to use steroids long before he ever slipped on a big-league uniform. In an interview with WFAN Wednesday, Damon revealed that he was first presented with an opportunity to try performance-enhancing drugs when he was a fresh-faced teenager, but he decided he didn't need the help. "When I was 13, somebody tried to push it on me, but since I was 6-1 and 180 pounds, I knew I didn't ever have to take it," Damon told the radio station. "I'm a big boy by nature, I've been blessed with strength. ... I made the right decision, but sometimes guys don't make that right decision." When asked if he had ever tried steroids or any PEDs during his career, Damon made it clear that he had no anxiety over possibly being among the 103 unnamed players who tested positive in 2003 under Major League Baseball's "survey" testing. Damon knows the feeling of being exposed, having been listed in what turned out to be an incorrect WNBC-TV story naming 75 players believed to be in the Mitchell Report days before it was to be released in December 2007. The station eventually issued an apology to the players named in its report, but Damon is clearly still bothered by the incident. "I'm clean," Damon said. "I have nothing to worry about." According to Damon, he has never been approached by any teammate in the majors about trying performance-enhancing drugs, disputing the notion that the topic was discussed openly in clubhouses throughout the league. "It wasn't out there in the open," he said. "When I'm around the guys, we talk about baseball, about going to dinner and living life. We're not talking about doing that type of stuff. The reports of it being very widespread, I didn't see it."

He's closer than we think.

I think he's a magic number guy.

2950 hits no.

3000 hits yes.

So stupid we deliniate things like that.

I also think there's an excellent chance he's back in the bronx next year.

According to Bill James' Favorite Toy calculator, Damon currently has a 64% chance of reaching 3000 hits.

Users who are viewing this thread