What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Historical Data Dominator Functionality Request (1 Viewer)

SSOG

It's been brought up a couple of times in the past and been kicked around, but I just wanted to bring it up again: it'd be awesome of the Data Dominator/Historical Data Dominator could sort lists by rate stats. For instance, in the Historical Data Dominator, if you set statistic #1 to "fantasy points" and statistic #2 to "games played", then you can sort the resulting list either by Statistic #1 *OR* by Statistic #2. A huge percentage of the time I'm using the tools, my druthers would be to sort by Statistic #1 DIVIDED BY Statistic #2 (or, in this case, "fantasy points per game"). I'd also love to have the ability to sort lists by Per Carry stats (not just yards per carry, but also first downs per carry, TDs per carry, etc), or Per Target stats (FDs per target, TDs per target, etc), etc. For example, if I wanted to find out who the best short yardage backs were, I'd love to set the Data Dominator to pull up all carries with 2 yards or fewer to go for a first down, and then sort the list by first downs per carry.

Anyway, just a thought. The Data Dominator and Historical Data Dominator are both fantastic tools (I say every year that they're worth the subscription price all on their own), but I really think this would take them both to a whole new level.

It's been brought up a couple of times in the past and been kicked around, but I just wanted to bring it up again: it'd be awesome of the Data Dominator/Historical Data Dominator could sort lists by rate stats. For instance, in the Historical Data Dominator, if you set statistic #1 to "fantasy points" and statistic #2 to "games played", then you can sort the resulting list either by Statistic #1 *OR* by Statistic #2. A huge percentage of the time I'm using the tools, my druthers would be to sort by Statistic #1 DIVIDED BY Statistic #2 (or, in this case, "fantasy points per game"). I'd also love to have the ability to sort lists by Per Carry stats (not just yards per carry, but also first downs per carry, TDs per carry, etc), or Per Target stats (FDs per target, TDs per target, etc), etc. For example, if I wanted to find out who the best short yardage backs were, I'd love to set the Data Dominator to pull up all carries with 2 yards or fewer to go for a first down, and then sort the list by first downs per carry.Anyway, just a thought. The Data Dominator and Historical Data Dominator are both fantastic tools (I say every year that they're worth the subscription price all on their own), but I really think this would take them both to a whole new level.
Seconded.And if you could add the 'quarters played' stat that Chase is using in his current article on Michael Turner that would rock as well.

OK, I've added the ability to sort by stat1/stat2. It's kind of nice because you can put the minimum requirement for stat2 in the box just as you always have.

Single-season bests for fantasy points per passing attempt

I also made a few cosmetic tweaks.

Notes:

1. right now, you can only sort by stat1/stat2. You can't filter by it.

2. the stat1/stat2 column always rounds to two decimal places. So if you sort on something like interceptions per pass attempt, you might get the top 30 guys all sitting at '.02'. And you might wonder whether it is sorting those guys correctly. It is.

3. if you try to sort by stat1/stat2 where one of those two things is itself a rate stat (e.g. yards per attempt per game), the sort doesn't work and the guys will come back in some sort of nonsense order. Of course, that's a nonsense sort anyway. But the result will be a different nonsense than the request.

4. SSOG, the price you pay for this request is that you must run 8 gazillion queries and try your hardest to find bugs. Let me know what you find.

As always, you're the best. Looks like you've once again found yourself the object of my FBG Mancrush. Strictly platonic, of course... :lmao:

In case anyone was wondering who had the best completion percentage of any QB with fewer than 3000 yards passing and more than 20 passing TDs, the answer is Brian Griese.

So far the only "bug" I've been able to find has to do with positional designations. I'm assuming the HDD just designates a player at a position and then keeps him there for his entire career even if there are positional changes (rather than going off the listed position on PFR), which results in things like Eric Metcalf dominating the rushes:receptions ratio among WRs. Also, I notice it's still not possible to sort by rate stats in the regular DD, although I understand that has to do with fundamental differences between the two tools.

Also, since this is apparently "get your wish granted" week at FBGs, and since you're already doing cosmetic tweaks anyway, I'd also love it if the HDD would highlight whatever columns correspond to the statistics you chose for stats1-4. Once I scroll 50 or so names down the list it gets pretty hard to figure out what that jumble of numbers means anymore.

Either way, though... you're the best. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread