What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Personal Finance Advice and Education! (10 Viewers)

If you are thinking about dipping into retirement savings for $8-10k, you really need to increase your savings. I have house and children and target $20k liquid as e-fund, which would include the car biting the shed

If you are thinking about dipping into retirement savings for $8-10k, you really need to increase your savings. I have house and children and target $20k liquid as e-fund, which would include the car biting the shed
This. Except I think 20k is low, I'd never live with under 40k liquid savings and another 60 semi liquid.

What are you going to do when you need a new car, new furnace, meet your high deductible med insurance, cover a kidnapping ransom and then need to relax for a week in Barbados all at once? I prefer financial flexibility

Everyone prefers financial flexibility but unfortunately everyone doesn't get paid like a dentist and can afford that. IMO there ia nothing wrong with pulling money out of a retirement fund as a short term loan. Example: say you have $300k in your 401k. You pull out 10% in a 5 year $30k loan where you pay yourself back at 4.25%. Those funds could come from the conservative portion of your portfolio that was in bonds or cash anyways so it's not like you were planning on earning a ton from them anyways.

Everyone prefers financial flexibility but unfortunately everyone doesn't get paid like a dentist and can afford that. IMO there ia nothing wrong with pulling money out of a retirement fund as a short term loan. Example: say you have $300k in your 401k. You pull out 10% in a 5 year $30k loan where you pay yourself back at 4.25%. Those funds could come from the conservative portion of your portfolio that was in bonds or cash anyways so it's not like you were planning on earning a ton from them anyways.
Fair point but guys with 300k in a 401k don't need to borrow from it, it's guys with under 100k that shouldn't

Umbrella insurance?

Wife and I are 40, 2 kids (8 & 6). Both work, house, 2 cars, each have a term life policy.

Pros?

Cons?

Amount?

Umbrella insurance?

Wife and I are 40, 2 kids (8 & 6). Both work, house, 2 cars, each have a term life policy.

Pros?

Cons?

Amount?
What's your net worth? Are you worth suing if #### hits the fan?
Not quite you but approaching 7 figures.
It's a no brainer IMO, $1mm in umbrella insurance is relatively cheap.
3 million isn't much more, that's the minimum I would carry with kids around.

I have 25k liquid savings. Also a rental condo I could easily sell for 60k in a short time frame.

I was simply going for a discussion on whether or not it would make sense as opposed to a conventional loan based on interest rates. It apparently wouldn't. Point taken by everyone. Moving on.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. Except I think 20k is low, I'd never live with under 40k liquid savings and another 60 semi liquid. What are you going to do when you need a new car, new furnace, meet your high deductible med insurance, cover a kidnapping ransom and then need to relax for a week in Barbados all at once? I prefer financial flexibility
This is why it depends on your situation. Nobody really needs to buy a new car with little notice. The rest is circumstance dependent. If you have good medical insurance your deductible isn't that high.

What do you mean by liquid? Assume by semi liquid you're referring to stocks/bonds. There's no way I'd keep 40k in checking right now (in a few years perhaps) but if you're including funds easily sold (despite possible bad timing) then I'm on board.

Umbrella insurance?

Pros?

Cons?

Amount?
What's your net worth? Are you worth suing if #### hits the fan?
Not quite you but approaching 7 figures.
It's a no brainer IMO, $1mm in umbrella insurance is relatively cheap.
3 million isn't much more, that's the minimum I would carry with kids around.
Good advice here. $1million is the least you can buy. As others noted it is cheap, and if sued they could go after future wages

The scenario you are worried about is driving home after dinner, something happens and you hit and kill a 30 year old doctor. That family will now sue you for his expected lifetime income, and will go after everything they can. Or a neighborhood kid is playing with your kids and a bad accident happens, etx

This. Except I think 20k is low, I'd never live with under 40k liquid savings and another 60 semi liquid. What are you going to do when you need a new car, new furnace, meet your high deductible med insurance, cover a kidnapping ransom and then need to relax for a week in Barbados all at once? I prefer financial flexibility
This is why it depends on your situation. Nobody really needs to buy a new car with little notice. The rest is circumstance dependent. If you have good medical insurance your deductible isn't that high.

What do you mean by liquid? Assume by semi liquid you're referring to stocks/bonds. There's no way I'd keep 40k in checking right now (in a few years perhaps) but if you're including funds easily sold (despite possible bad timing) then I'm on board.
1) people have to get a new car on short notice all the time when a wreck forces them to. My car is on liability only at this point. Also as someone who has to buy their healthy family insurance high deductible is the best choice for me. Everyone has a 5k deductible

2)semi liquid is my cash management account. In some stocks or income generating assets.

3) I firmly believe that the first 3 to 6 months of emergency money should have zero risk.

4) I'm definitely going to consider more umbrella money after reading some of those posts, thanks for those thoughts

The umbrella stuff is interesting and something I will consider down the line.............................pretty far down the line, maybe 15 years or so.

Question in relation to that. If you get sued can they come after your 401k/403b? Off hand I would think yes.

1) people have to get a new car on short notice all the time when a wreck forces them to. My car is on liability only at this point. Also as someone who has to buy their healthy family insurance high deductible is the best choice for me. Everyone has a 5k deductible

2)semi liquid is my cash management account. In some stocks or income generating assets.

3) I firmly believe that the first 3 to 6 months of emergency money should have zero risk.

4) I'm definitely going to consider more umbrella money after reading some of those posts, thanks for those thoughts
1) no, you don't need to buy a new car - you might want a new car but repairs or buying used and inexpensive are options if that situation arises. Understand that high deductible might be the best choice. I misspoke, ours is only 1k for a year.

2) ok

3) I won't argue about that, just to say that everyone needs to assess their own needs. 6 months is a fine baseline for most people.

4) I haven't really thought about umbrella insurance recently, probably time to reassess.

It's interesting to see different perspectives on this stuff. For a guy like dentist, whose goal includes retiring as soon as possible, insuring as much as possible and being more conservative makes a lot of sense. For a guy like me, I'd guess our net worth is a quarter of what he has - but we are virtually assured of a nice pension and not looking to totally stop working in the next 25 years, more risk can be taken.

The umbrella stuff is interesting and something I will consider down the line.............................pretty far down the line, maybe 15 years or so.

Question in relation to that. If you get sued can they come after your 401k/403b? Off hand I would think yes.
You have rental properties, you need umbrella insurance. You need to fire whatever insurance agent you are working with immediately.

You have rental properties, you need umbrella insurance. You need to fire whatever insurance agent you are working with immediately.
I was thinking the exact same thing. If ever a circumstance called for umbrella insurance, it is being a landlord

Had a plan to buy a new car at years end, but there's a slow leak in my AC line on the car I was going to trade in; which fixing it will cost about 25% of what the car is work....so now I have to buy a car within a month or so (depending on how slow the leak is - just topped the freon off)....sucks. Especially b/c we're looking at the brand new model pilots. I hate having to buy something that brand new....but the new model fits everything we're looking at.

Even with just one rental property worth maybe 65k?

I thought people were saying your net worth should be nearing 7 figures before considering umbrella? I am not close to that

Although what, 200 a year for up to a million? Sounds like a great deal actually.

Remember if you can't pay for your car in three years or less you're buying too much car.

The 5 and 7 year auto loans are devastating for the consumer but now 5 is the most common and it's rare to see people do 3.

I personally won't ever do a car loan again. One was enough. 3 year loan I paid in 18mo
Wouldnt a lot of this depend on the interest rate and of course your own personal financial standing?

I could pay for a car right now out of my savings, but I didn't want to deplete my savings.

It seems a lot of people in here would take the longest possible loan they could if the interest rate was low enough, and keep contributing the extra to their retirement funds. I would not be in favor of that. I also like having things paid off, but I also do not want to deplete the savings ya know.
On a home I can understand having the 30 year loan and not paying it of, that assert isn't plummeting in value like a car.On a car just like any other consumer item, you want it off your ledger sheet fast.
interest rate is relevant.

Had a plan to buy a new car at years end, but there's a slow leak in my AC line on the car I was going to trade in; which fixing it will cost about 25% of what the car is work....so now I have to buy a car within a month or so (depending on how slow the leak is - just topped the freon off)....sucks. Especially b/c we're looking at the brand new model pilots. I hate having to buy something that brand new....but the new model fits everything we're looking at.
freon 5 minutes before taking it for the trade.

"As is"

personally I'd feel guilty selling it to a consumer. Not so much to a dealer who can fix it easily enough.

I thought people were saying your net worth should be nearing 7 figures before considering umbrella? I am not close to that

Although what, 200 a year for up to a million? Sounds like a great deal actually.
Look at potential liability. So yeah, as an attorney I'd tell you to get it.

No, you seem to fit the bill with a rental. If you own a dog it's a slam dunk imo.

Absolutely. Its liability insurance, not property insurance.

"As is"

personally I'd feel guilty selling it to a consumer. Not so much to a dealer who can fix it easily enough.
yeah, i'm not messing with selling it to a consumer. either trading it in to the dealership or carmax

So is the going rate on this umbrella insurance roughly 200 bucks a year for up to a million in coverage?
Mine looks like its $48 per property for $2MM aggregate, $1MM each occurrence.
Cool thanks. I will have to ask my insurance agent about that.

Seems like with rental property it's a good idea even with a much lower net worth just due to the increased risk of some jackwad tenant doing something stupid.

So is the going rate on this umbrella insurance roughly 200 bucks a year for up to a million in coverage?
Umbrella coverage varies but generally costs more based on number of properties and vehicles owned, as well as driving records. Remember, you can kill someone on your boat or motorcycle... Be sure they are endorsed on the umbrella policy.

1) no, you don't need to buy a new car - you might want a new car but repairs or buying used and inexpensive are options if that situation arises.It's interesting to see different perspectives on this stuff. For a guy like dentist, whose goal includes retiring as soon as possible, insuring as much as possible and being more conservative makes a lot of sense. For a guy like me, I'd guess our net worth is a quarter of what he has - but we are virtually assured of a nice pension and not looking to totally stop working in the next 25 years, more risk can be taken.
Sorry, by new I meant new to me. Meaning if your car is totaled you may need a car of some sort. Obviously you can get a car very inexpensively if needed. I guess I want to be prepared to buy the car that's going to work for me for the next 10 years if something happened to mine instead of needing an interim vehicle.

Pensions make for very interesting equations when it comes to figuring a retirement out. They sound great, yet at the same time I kind of like choosing my own adventure with my own investments. I agree that with a solid pension you could certainly take some gambles with your Roth IRA or other assets.

Man trading a car in to a dealership and buying a car at a dealership is a total double smack on the wallet.
Go look at AcerFC's car buying thread. Makes the purchasing easy.

With respect to the trade in, it's just not worth my time to facilitate selling it by myself to make an extra grand or so. :shrug:

Man trading a car in to a dealership and buying a car at a dealership is a total double smack on the wallet.

With respect to the trade in, it's just not worth my time to facilitate selling it by myself to make an extra grand or so. :shrug:
You may be surprised with the amount you can make selling your car on your own. We recently bought a new car and considered three options with our old one.

1) We looked up what they we listed at on Ebay/Craigslist/Autotrader. About 10K.

2) Took it to Carmax. Offer was 4K.

3) Trade in on new car. Offer was 3K.

We listed it and sold it within a week for $9200.

Except it's ugly.

Seriously though, buying a brand new model adds some risk, there are always bugs to be worked out in something brand new

You may be surprised with the amount you can make selling your car on your own. We recently bought a new car and considered three options with our old one.

1) We looked up what they we listed at on Ebay/Craigslist/Autotrader. About 10K.

That seems like a pretty unusual spread. The two times I've done this Carmax ended up giving me very close to Bluebook and market value, and the dealership matched Carmax's offer.

That seems like a pretty unusual spread. The two times I've done this Carmax ended up giving me very close to Bluebook and market value, and the dealership matched Carmax's offer.
Carmax told us it was considered "high mileage" and they would send it to auction. We had the dealer at their bottom dollar before we said anything about a trade in, so there were no games to be played there. This was an 08 CRV with 165,000 miles on it. Ebay still seems to be at 9-10K.

Carmax told us it was considered "high mileage" and they would send it to auction. We had the dealer at their bottom dollar before we said anything about a trade in, so there were no games to be played there. This was an 08 CRV with 165,000 miles on it. Ebay still seems to be at 9-10K.
I need to do this now. Didn't have the car we were trading in with us when we ended up buy our 2014 Pilot. I know you get more selling it yourself but it just isn't something I look forward too. Same with buying the car. Didn't really care that I got a lower price than everyone, just wanted a good price without getting bent over.

Cool thanks. I will have to ask my insurance agent about that.

Seems like with rental property it's a good idea even with a much lower net worth just due to the increased risk of some jackwad tenant doing something stupid.
Might be cheaper to increase your various underlying policies to 1M.

Damn that's a lot of miles on an 08, that's some serious driving!

This was an 08 CRV with 165,000 miles on it. Ebay still seems to be at 9-10K.

I've got some contacts with a used car dealership and he says you should expect about $1-2k above KBB/auto trader. Not sure if yours was a one off or not, but my KBB is only $5500....and I've been checking craigslist for similar makes/models/mileage.

Except it's ugly.

Seriously though, buying a brand new model adds some risk, there are always bugs to be worked out in something brand new
I hear ya

I used to use craigslist and it was great, but it has turned into a crapfest of crap people and I can never get anything done using it anymore.

I was directed towards a facebook classified group for my local area, as in within a 5-10 mile radius of where I live, and it has been fabulous. Not just for cars but anything really. Since people are so close it's much easier to get people to come see stuff, and also to go see stuff. Plus since people's names are attached to the stuff they have it makes scamming way harder.

I haven't sold a car yet, but I have sold like 5 other things all in less than 24 hours for each.

I will check out the car thread. I think I did read a little on it where he sent out a message to like 5 places just going with the best price someone would offer. Good idea.

Dealerships suck compared to private party cause of their awesome convenience of financing they are able to give people. My ex brother in law is a car salesman, and he is the absolute textbook definition of the dweeb you expect to come running out to you when you go look around and dont want to be bothered. If ya get him a little drunk on occasion he will tell ya how big of a ripoff it is to trade in a car, to buy a car from them, and how much of a jackpot it is for them when BOTH happen.

Users who are viewing this thread