What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the best fantasy team you could assemble right now (1 Viewer)

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy
Guys in my league did this a few years ago and it was a fun little discussion/timewaster. You have to put together the best fantasy team made up of current players, but you can only select players who all went to the same university. So, for example, if you pick Michigan, you can have Tom Brady, Mario Manningham, Braylon Edwards, etc...

You have to narrow it down to a "starting lineup" consisting of 1 QB, 2 RB, and 3 WR/TE (so it doesn't necessarily make sense to just pick a school based on the sheer volume of players they've sent to the NFL).

Which college would result in the best fantasy team?

Cal is one that comes to mind pretty quickly because you'd get balanced picks at each position.

QB: Rodgers

RB: Best, Lynch, Forsett, Vereen

WR: DJax, LaVelle Hawkins

TE: Tony Gonzales

K: Longwell

IDPs: Asomugha, Fujita, Cameron Jordan

I remember when Miami had the future NFL dream team in the early 2000s, but IIRC, there wasn't really a good QB candidate on that squad.

Cal is one that comes to mind pretty quickly because you'd get balanced picks at each position.QB: RodgersRB: Best, Lynch, Forsett, VereenWR: DJax, LaVelle HawkinsTE: Tony GonzalesK: LongwellIDPs: Asomugha, Fujita, Cameron Jordan I remember when Miami had the future NFL dream team in the early 2000s, but IIRC, there wasn't really a good QB candidate on that squad.
Yeah, there's no Miami QBs in the league, but I'm not entirely sure they couldn't compete anyways:Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Santana MossJimmy Graham (Or maybe Winslow or Shockey)Frank Gore, Willis McGahee

The mind immediately goes to the U but that would leave you with no QB

SEC schools would probably be great on IDP but incomplete on offense. Arkansas would have you loaded at RB but empty everywhere else.

I guess you have to start with a good QB and go from there.

UGA

QB: Stafford

RBs: Moreno, ??

WR: AJ Green, Hines Ward

TE: McMicheal??

man, this is tough

Cal is one that comes to mind pretty quickly because you'd get balanced picks at each position.QB: RodgersRB: Best, Lynch, Forsett, VereenWR: DJax, LaVelle HawkinsTE: Tony GonzalesK: LongwellIDPs: Asomugha, Fujita, Cameron Jordan I remember when Miami had the future NFL dream team in the early 2000s, but IIRC, there wasn't really a good QB candidate on that squad.
Yeah, there's no Miami QBs in the league, but I'm not entirely sure they couldn't compete anyways:Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Santana MossJimmy Graham (Or maybe Winslow or Shockey)Frank Gore, Willis McGahee
Wow, the TE production at Miami is incredible. Don't forget about Greg Olsen.Another one I just thought of is Pitt. Some of these players are a stretch due to transfering, although they did play ball at one time or another for the Panthers:QB: Flacco (transferred to Delaware), Tyler PalkoRB: McCoy, LaRod Stevens-HowlingWR: Fitzgerald, Jonathan BaldwinIDPs: Darrelle Revis, Shawntae Spencer

Florida would be pretty good everywhere but RB.

QB: Rex Grossman, Tim Tebow

RB: Earnest Graham

WR: Percy Harvin, David Nelson (breaking out on the Bills), Jabar Gaffney, Caldwell/Louis Murphy

TE: Aaron Hernandez

Tennessee seems a bit underrated... odd combination of boom or bust types

QB Peyton Manning

RB Arian Foster Hardesty

WR Meachem Denarius Moore Stallworth

TE Witten

IDPs Berry Mayo Haynesworth

Ole Miss is surprising decent:

QB: Eli Manning

RB: Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Dexter McCluster

WR: Mike Wallace, Michael Spurlock

IDP: Patrick Willis

Michigan----

QB: Brady, Henne, Mallett

RB: Minor, lol

WR: Edwards, Manningham, Arrington, Avant, Breaston

TE: none, would run 4 wr sets, lol

K: Feeley

P: Mesko

KR: Woodson

I dont need a RB cuz my line will give Brady all day to throw to a good set of WRs.

OLine - Jake Long, Jeff Backus, Jon Goodwin, Steve Hutchinson, David Baas

Then my D would give up no points.

Woodson, L. Hall, J. Hall, Harris, Woodley, Graham, Foote, Branch.

Then my coverage of my team would kill everyones...

Anchor: Eisen

Reporter: Shefter

The mind immediately goes to the U but that would leave you with no QBSEC schools would probably be great on IDP but incomplete on offense. Arkansas would have you loaded at RB but empty everywhere else.I guess you have to start with a good QB and go from there.UGAQB: StaffordRBs: Moreno, ??WR: AJ Green, Hines WardTE: McMicheal??man, this is tough
To add to UGA...(not that it helps a whole lot)QB: StaffordRB: Moreno, Danny Ware, Kregg LumpkinWR: AJ Green, Hines Ward, MassaquoiTE: Ben Watson, McMichael, Leonard PopeK: John KasayIDP: Champ Bailey, Thomas Davis

Tennessee seems a bit underrated... odd combination of boom or bust typesQB Peyton ManningRB Arian Foster HardestyWR Meachem Denarius Moore StallworthTE WittenIDPs Berry Mayo Haynesworth
I'd say this team would be the easy winner if they were all healthy.

Tennessee seems a bit underrated... odd combination of boom or bust types

QB Peyton Manning

RB Arian Foster Hardesty

WR Meachem Denarius Moore Stallworth

TE Witten

IDPs Berry Mayo Haynesworth
Tennessee looks strong.My dark horse: Arkansas--utilizing the triple wishbone, my DMAC, Hillis, Felix Jones combo will run over you all day (nevermind I have none of the other positions).

Georgia Southern: Yea, rob Bironas is the only player in the league from there, but he could outscore some teams on some weeks.

Kansas State: Josh Freeman, Jordy nelson, Darren Sproles, and Daniel thomas.

Someone ought to set up a MFL league and plug in the top 32 or so and let it run all year and see who would win in an all-play league.

LSU:

QB-M.FLYNN

RB-ADDAI, RIDLEY, KEILAND WILLIAMS

FB-HESTER

WR-BOWE, LAFELL, D.HENDERSON, E.DOUCET

G-N.LIVINGS, S.PETERMAN

C-T.MCCLURE

T-A.WHITWORTH

DLINE U HAS-DORSEY, T.JACKSON, M.SPEARS, KYLE WILLIAMS, D.NEVIS, HOWARD GREEN

LB-BRADIE JAMES, K.SHEPPARD

DB-C.WEBSTER, P.PETERSON

S-LANDRY, R.CLARK, D.MCCRAY, C.STELTZ

'Trizzler said:
Cal is one that comes to mind pretty quickly because you'd get balanced picks at each position.QB: RodgersRB: Best, Lynch, Forsett, VereenWR: DJax, LaVelle HawkinsTE: Tony GonzalesK: LongwellIDPs: Asomugha, Fujita, Cameron Jordan
IDP also Desmond Bishop, Syd'Quan Thompson. WR2 is a problem but that will be solved soon with Marvin Jones coming out next year. Go Bears!

Purdue

QB - Drew Brees, Kyle Orton

RB - Kory Sheets, Can we dust off Alstot?

WR - Keith Smith and John Standeford were in camps this year, does that count? Brees could probably make them look decent.

TE - Dustin Keller, Kyle Adams (we need bodies at this point)

IDP - Shaun Phillips, Ray Edwards, Ryan Kerrigan (at least we can rush the passer)

Auburn has:

QB- Newton, Campbell

RB- Tate, R. Brown, Cadillac

WR- Aromashodu, Obomanu

No TE to speak of

Some good Defensive players. Dansby, Ratliff, Fairley, Spikes, Rogers

Not the best, but worth a mention.

'Bonka said:
No mention of Texas?

QB McCoy, Young

RB Charles, Benson, Ricky

WR Shipley, Williams (oof)

TE Finley

K Dawson

Some solid defensive players as well. Can find a list of current players in the NFL here, as of last year, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Longhorns_football
At the link below you can find a regularly updated list. Somewhere on the site they keep track of weekly performance as well. I think Texas with a healthy Charles wins this.http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/active-nfl.html

Hook Em'

Oklahoma:

QB: Sam Bradford

RB: Adrian Peterson, DeMarco Murray

WR: Mark Clayton, ?

TE: Jermaine Gresham

K: Garrett Hartley

IDP: Kelly Gregg, Curtis Lofton, Gerald McCoy

Close...

Last edited by a moderator:
Illinois:

QB: Matt Schaub

RB: Rashard Mendenhall, Pierre Thomas, Mikel Leshoure

WR: Brandon Lloyd, Arrelious Benn

TE: Michael Hoomanawanui, Jeff Cumberland

K: Neil Rackers

IDP: Vontae Davis

Could be a contender if they had a TE

Edit: as is pointed out below, Schaub went to Virginia, my bad... replace him with Jeff George :excited:

USC:

QB: Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassell, Carson Palmer?

RB: Reggie Bush, Joe McKnight, Lendale White?

WR: Steve Smith (PHI), Mike Williams (SEA), Damian Williams, Keary Colbert

TE: Fred Davis

K: David Buehler

IDP: Brian Cushing, Sedrick Ellis, Clay Mathews, Ray Maualuga, Troy Polamalu, Terrell Thomas

University of Spoiled Children

QB - Sanchize, Cassel, Leinart

RB - R. Bush, McKnight, A. Bradford

WR - Steve Smith (PHL), Big Mike Williams, Damian Williams, P. Turner

TE - Fred Davis, Jordan Cameron

and if you don't think that is good enough, their O Line and DST will KILL the opposition

FSU:

QB: Christian Ponder

RB: Leon Washington, Lorenzo Booker, Greg Jones

WR: Anquan Boldin

TE: none of note

K: Seabass, Graham Gano

IDP: Ernie Sims, Darnell Docket, Antonio Cromartie, Geno Hayes, Lawrence Timmons

FSU:QB: Christian PonderRB: Leon Washington, Lorenzo Booker, Greg JonesWR: Anquan BoldinTE: none of noteK: Seabass, Graham GanoIDP: Ernie Sims, Darnell Docket, Antonio Cromartie, Geno Hayes, Lawrence Timmons
Preston Parker might be WR2, but he was kicked out of FSU.

Va Tech:

QB: Michael Vick, Tyrod Taylor

RB: Ryan Williams, ?

WR: Eddie Royal, Josh Morgan

TE: Jeff King

K: ?

IDP: Brandon Flowers, Darryl Tapp, DeAngelo Hall, Kam Chancellor

Texas Tech would be able to run their old college offensive playbook decently well

QB: Graham Harrell

RB: Baron Batch

WR: Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Michael Crabtree

Virginia

QB: Matt Schaub

RB: Thomas Jones, Jason Snelling, Cedric Peerman

WR: Kevin Ogletree

TE: Heath Miller

IDP: James Farrior, Chris Long, Chris Canty, Ahmad Brooks, Ronde Barber

I think Toledo comfortably has the best team from the MAC, at least from the sense of filling up a lineup

QB: Bruce Gradkowski

RB: Chester Taylor

WR: Lance Moore, Stephen Williams

Kicker/Punter: Brett Kern

NC State:

QB P.Rivers

RB Andre Brown (practice squads count? :) )

WR J.Cotchery

TE none

PK S.Hauschka

Yuck. If only Tory Holt hadn't retired.

Defense is better:

DL Mario Williams, Willie Young

LB Stephen Tulloch, Manny Lawson, Nate Irving

DB Adrian Wilson, Brian Williams

Kanasa State's not horrible

Q Freeman

R Sproles, Daniel Thomas, Rock cartwright

W Jordy Nelson, Brandon Banks (Was)

T Mastrud (Mia)

Notre Dame:

QB: Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen

RB: Ryan Grant

WR: Golden Tate, Arnaz Battle, Maurice Stovall

TE: John Carlson, Athony Fasano, Kyle Rudolph

IDP: Justin Tuck

'Trizzler said:
Cal is one that comes to mind pretty quickly because you'd get balanced picks at each position.

QB: Rodgers

RB: Best, Lynch, Forsett, Vereen

WR: DJax, LaVelle Hawkins

TE: Tony Gonzales

K: Longwell

IDPs: Asomugha, Fujita, Cameron Jordan
IDP also Desmond Bishop, Syd'Quan Thompson. WR2 is a problem but that will be solved soon with Marvin Jones coming out next year. Go Bears!
Keenan Allen!Trying to be unbiased, it seems like the two best teams in this thread are Cal and Tennessee, assuming full health for both teams.

QB: Rodgers vs. Peyton

RB1: Best vs. Foster

RB2: Lynch vs. Hardesty

WR1: D-Jax vs. Meachem

WR2: Hawkins vs. D. Moore

Flex: Forsett vs. Stallworth

TE: Gonzalez vs. Witten

Cal grades better at QB, RB2, WR1. Tenn better at RB1, WR2, TE. I'll call Flex a push, since both are pretty worthless.

Oklahoma State is one RB short of being interesting:

QB: Brandon Weeden

RB: Kendall Hunter

WR: Justin Blackmon, Dez Bryant

TE: Brandon Pettigrew

You could build an entire starting defense out of the IDPs Bama has in the NFL right now and it would probably be one of the better units in the NFL, but yeah.

If Flacco can count toward Pitt (went to Pitt before transferring to Delaware), they'd have a decent lineup:

QB Flacco

RB McCoy & D.Lewis/L.S. Howlings

WR Fitzgerald, J.Baldwin

TE D. Dickerson

ETA: Oops, just noticed that one was mentioned a year ago.

Bo would roll over in his grave. No Mich Rb in NFL. We have a mean run n shoot offense.

. Jason Avant Philadelphia Eagles Wide ReceiverDavid Baas New York Giants CenterJeff Backus Detroit Lions Offensive Tackle Quarterback New England PatriotsTom BradyAlan Branch Seattle Seahawks Defensive TackleSteve Breaston Kansas City Chiefs Wide Receiver Safety New York GiantsStevie BrownBraylon Edwards Seattle Seahawks Wide ReceiverJay Feely Arizona Cardinals Place kicker Linebacker Pittsburgh SteelersLarry FooteJonathan Goodwin San Francisco 49ers CenterBrandon Graham Philadelphia Eagles Defensive End Cornerback Cincinnati BengalsLeon HallDavid Harris New York Jets LinebackerChad Henne Jacksonville Jaguars Quarterback Guard Tennessee TitansSteve HutchinsonTim Jamison Houston Texans Defensive EndJake Long Miami Dolphins Offensive Tackle Wide Receiver San Francisco 49ersMario ManninghamMike Martin Tennessee Titans Defensive TackleZoltan Mesko New England Patriots Punter Center San Diego ChargersDavid MolkJonas Mouton San Diego Chargers LinebackerLaMarr Woodley Pittsburgh Steelers LinebackerCharles Woodson Green Bay Packers Cornerback

Stanford could be a potential in 2-3 years if Gerhart didn't play behind ADP and fumble every other touch

QB: Andrew Luck

RB: Toby Gerhart

TE: Coby Fleener

WR: Doug Baldwin, Greg Camarillo

Users who are viewing this thread