What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (11 Viewers)

Because nothing about the Josh Gordon situation is allowed to be straightforward...

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m

Caveat on the Gordon guilty plea -- old drug policy could trigger suspension for first-offense DUI based on other substance-abuse issues.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4m

But a suspension under the old policy won't be automatic. Under the new policy, two-game suspension for first-offense DUI will be.
So apparently there is still a chance he could still get suspended for the DWI under the old policy. But his odds are better than with the new policy's automatic suspension.
yeah, that's what I didn't understand . I thought he was already in Phase 3 of the substance abuse policy and any mis-step triggeed a longer suspension.
If Gordon is to be evaluated under the old policy, doesn't it open up the possibility of the dreaded indefinite suspension (e.g. Justin Blackmon)? i.e. Probability of being suspended for the DUI goes down, whereas the potential magnitude of the suspension rises.

Per Rotworld:

Josh Gordon has pled guilty to DWI charges in Wake County, North Carolina, and been sentenced to 12 months of unsupervised probation.
He must also pay a $390 fine. The league's new drug policy mandates a two-game suspension for players who are convicted or plead out in drunk-driving cases, but Gordon's arrest occurred under the old policy. Per Profootballtalk, he'll only be subject to a fine, and won't have his current 10-game ban lengthened. NFL.com's Albert Breer reports Gordon has been "assured" that's the case. It means he's still on track to return in Week 12, and no longer has any outstanding legal issues. Now hopefully Gordon can stay on the straight and narrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh Gordon escapes new suspension by pleading guilty to DUI charges

Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT

Some portions of the new drug policy will be retroactive. Some wont.

Browns receiver Josh Gordon has pleaded guilty to driving while impaired. Under the new drug policy, a first offense will trigger a two-game suspension. Under the old drug policy, a first offense results in no suspension and a maximum fine of $50,000.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon pleaded guilty now to ensure that he will not receive a two-game suspension for the DUI charges.

The guilty plea was submitted by Gordons lawyer; he was not required to appear personally in court. In exchange for the plea, Gordon received a 60-day suspended sentence. He also must pay a $100 fine. His drivers license has been suspended.

Gordon is expected to be suspended a total of 10 games under the new substance-abuse policy. Previously, he had been suspended for the entire 2014 season.

Like I said 40 or so pages ago, the DWI IS no big thing after all.

Now maybe we can move on.

Look at the first sentence here: " some portions of the new drug policy will be retroactive and some won't"

If that isn't illustration enough about how all over the board the league is with this whole hot mess, nothing is.

Through it all, with the latest crap storm we have going on, Gordon looks like Saint Peter compared to Ray Rice, AP, Hardy and McDonald.

He takes his suspension for something that will no longer be failure, the DWI is already ancient history, and no big deal.

Gordon owners have him in their back pocket for money time, and non owners are moving on to the Peterson threads.

Not to derail the thread, but how will this affect someone like Justin Blackmon? Would his indefinite ban be lifted?
I believe he is a lost cause.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/josh-gordon---do-i-believe-i-have-a-drug-problem--definitely-not--204600616.html

To back up that claim, Gordon said on the interview that he went to Cliffside Malibu, a rehabilitation center in California, after he was told of his positive test. And Gordon said the center's determination was he wasn't an addict.

so when is this vote on the new testing policy? when is it effective?
i think it was already voted on by the players' union. they voted in favor of HGH testing and the new marijuana threshold, and those will be in effect this season. the new marijuana policy is retroactive for those currently serving suspensions, hence gordon's reduction.

EDIT: or see the post above me which is probably way more accurate. i just heard this from sports talk radio last week.

Yeah, what the players voted on last week was a term sheet, not an actual policy. The proposed policy hasn't been drafted yet, as far as I know.

i think it was already voted on by the players' union. they voted in favor of HGH testing and the new marijuana threshold, and those will be in effect this season. the new marijuana policy is retroactive for those currently serving suspensions, hence gordon's reduction.

EDIT: or see the post above me which is probably way more accurate. i just heard this from sports talk radio last week.
This is correct, it was already unanimously approved by the NFLPA. They lawyers are writing up the final approved deal for certification by both parties. When it is certified it will be a done deal.

This is already done, it is literally dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

This is correct, it was already unanimously approved by the NFLPA. They lawyers are writing up the final approved deal for certification by both parties. When it is certified it will be a done deal.

This is already done, it is literally dotting the i's and crossing the t's.
This is incorrect, unless something happened today that I missed.

The player reps voted on a set of terms that they would allow the NFLPA to negotiate into a new policy. The language of any new policy isn't finished, and therefore hasn't been finalized, or even close to it.

Poor reporting has led to this misconception.

There is no new deal in place, and based on recent reports, it may be several weeks before one is in place, if it gets done.

Ojaays said:

Now that's not EXACTLY what you said, it it?

You said he'd plead it down or get it dismissed, and if he didn't, any suspension wouldn't come until well down the road.

Let's not hurt yourself patting yourself on the back, because you had no idea that the league was going to negotiate a new drug policy with this loophole in it. :rolleyes:

Ojaays said:

Now that's not EXACTLY what you said, it it?

You said he'd plead it down or get it dismissed, and if he didn't, any suspension wouldn't come until well down the road.

Let's not hurt yourself patting yourself on the back, because you had no idea that the league was going to negotiate a new drug policy with this loophole in it. :rolleyes:
He probably rearranged the stickers on his Rubik's Cube too.

cvnpoka said:
Jerry Curl said:
chad in Indy said:
Not to derail the thread, but how will this affect someone like Justin Blackmon? Would his indefinite ban be lifted?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/josh-gordon---do-i-believe-i-have-a-drug-problem--definitely-not--204600616.html

To back up that claim, Gordon said on the interview that he went to Cliffside Malibu, a rehabilitation center in California, after he was told of his positive test. And Gordon said the center's determination was he wasn't an addict.
This is what concerns me. How many people who are not addicts get DUIs? Isn't that a pretty big red flag that you MIGHT have a drinking problem? To me, this sounds like well paid denial for purposes of PR.

THANK GOD!!! Now we don't have hear all of the HATERZ clinging on to that last thread of hope that he gets more games tacked on to his 10. B..b..b..ut what about his DUI??!?! Doesn't that come with a lifetime ban? Nope. End of story. Clean slate. Looking forward to a new chapter. Maybe he stays clean maybe he doesn't. One thing is for certain. The HATERZ are running out of ammunition. Click click. Empty chamber.

Looking at the Browns schedule for Weekw 12-16, is it really worth hanging on for the whole regular season? Bengals and Panthers D are very tough matchups.

12 11/23 @ATL - 0.0 - 13 11/30 @BUF - - - - 0.0 - 14 12/7 IND - - - - 0.0 - 15 12/14 CIN - - - - 0.0 - 16 12/21 @CAR -

I'm all in on Gordon. I'd have to have a serious roster issue to drop him. If not, I have no problem managing minus one slot. Gordon was the No. 1 receiver last year. If i have only 25% chance to get that guy in the playoffs I will risk that.

If I can't manage my team minus 1 slot, I am a poor fantasy player. Championships are won by taking risks.

I had to face Gordon in the playoffs last season and narrowly escaped, I don't want to drop him and have to face him in the playoffs again. Yes I'm holding onto him.

THANK GOD!!! Now we don't have hear all of the HATERZ clinging on to that last thread of hope that he gets more games tacked on to his 10. B..b..b..ut what about his DUI??!?! Doesn't that come with a lifetime ban? Nope. End of story. Clean slate. Looking forward to a new chapter. Maybe he stays clean maybe he doesn't. One thing is for certain. The HATERZ are running out of ammunition. Click click. Empty chamber.
What an eccentric performance.

Looking at the Browns schedule for Weekw 12-16, is it really worth hanging on for the whole regular season? Bengals and Panthers D are very tough matchups.

12 11/23 @ATL - 0.0 - 13 11/30 @BUF - - - - 0.0 - 14 12/7 IND - - - - 0.0 - 15 12/14 CIN - - - - 0.0 - 16 12/21 @CAR -
Gordon has played very well in his last 3 games against the Bengals. And while the Panthers D is one of the league's best, it's a long season. Who knows how many injuries they may have on D by then or what will be at stake for both teams in week 16.

Gordon has played very well in his last 3 games against the Bengals. And while the Panthers D is one of the league's best, it's a long season. Who knows how many injuries they may have on D by then or what will be at stake for both teams in week 16.
Last year there were all kinds of reasons to bechn him - QB carousel, bad QBs, bad weather, wind, matchups.

So devil's advocate, with all the drama surrounding Gordon, is it possible people have lost sight of the possibility that he doesn't trot out there in Week 12 and dominate?

So devil's advocate, with all the drama surrounding Gordon, is it possible people have lost sight of the possibility that he doesn't trot out there in Week 12 and dominate?
Look, my whole thing about getting into this thread in the first place was to make the point that Gordon is Extremely fantasy relevant, until he isn't.

It has all played out, and , after much gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes, Gordon will play in our last 3 regular season games, for most of us those are division games and then the two playoff weeks.

Gordon was the only guy the Browns had that teams had to stop last year, and even with the worst QB situation in the league, he still led the league playing 14 games.

You don't sit that talent , unless he is injured, period.

Look, my whole thing about getting into this thread in the first place was to make the point that Gordon is Extremely fantasy relevant, until he isn't.

It has all played out, and , after much gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes, Gordon will play in our last 3 regular season games, for most of us those are division games and then the two playoff weeks.

Gordon was the only guy the Browns had that teams had to stop last year, and even with the worst QB situation in the league, he still led the league playing 14 games.

All I'm saying is sometimes you get in a fight over a girl and half way through you realize she's not worth the beating...

Look, my whole thing about getting into this thread in the first place was to make the point that Gordon is Extremely fantasy relevant, until he isn't.It has all played out, and , after much gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes, Gordon will play in our last 3 regular season games, for most of us those are division games and then the two playoff weeks.

All I'm saying is sometimes you get in a fight over a girl and half way through you realize she's not worth the beating...
And sometimes you learn her favorite thing is to receive brown dots.

I'm holding him unless he does something stupid. He's certainly not going to be on anyone else's team to give them a boost.

Flash Gordon (@JOSH_GORDONXII)

9/16/14, 6:19 PM

This new @SarchioneChevy 2015 Camaro SS got the ladies winking at me on my drive home ? lol

Download the official Twitter app here

Sent from my iPhone

By the way - 200 Pages. This reminds me of the first Star Trek movie where the Voyager probe ("Veeger") just kept going and going and going until it damn near was master of the Universe.
This thread is now 216 pages in just over 2 years and 2 months. His career might not measure up in real life, but Josh Gordon's gotta make the FBG Shark Pool Hall of Fame.

Does anyone else know a player averaging 1 page every 4 days for that long?

Strange to me that they seem to be retroactively changing his session-long suspension to be 10 games according to the new rules, but he pleads guilty on his DWI now to avoid other new rules. Shouldn't the new rules also be retroactively applied to all his offenses in the 2014 season, for better or worse? Confusing...

cvnpoka said:
Jerry Curl said:
chad in Indy said:

This is what concerns me. How many people who are not addicts get DUIs? Isn't that a pretty big red flag that you MIGHT have a drinking problem? To me, this sounds like well paid denial for purposes of PR.
lots?

Strange to me that they seem to be retroactively changing his session-long suspension to be 10 games according to the new rules, but he pleads guilty on his DWI now to avoid other new rules. Shouldn't the new rules also be retroactively applied to all his offenses in the 2014 season, for better or worse? Confusing...
very confusing. it's like he's getting different sets of rules from different time frames applied to him at the same time. doesn't sound like he's gonna push it though and will just take the 10. 6 or 8 would be nice though

Not really.

I'm holding him unless he does something stupid. He's certainly not going to be on anyone else's team to give them a boost.
I am also holding but aware that he now has ten weeks away from the team to do something stupid.

I'm not his mother but there's something not quite right about walking out of court where you've pleaded out a DUI and heading to a Chevy dealer to buy a Camaro...

If Josh does have a suspended Lic, its possible that his lawyer team was able to secure a "work" only Lic.

Very smart move to have acquired the dealer tags too!

I am also holding but aware that he now has ten weeks away from the team to do something stupid.

I'm not his mother but there's something not quite right about walking out of court where you've pleaded out a DUI and heading to a Chevy dealer to buy a Camaro...
I think it was tongue in cheek, since SarchioneChevy is the dealership he's working for now.

Users who are viewing this thread