What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fanduel Week 6 (1 Viewer)

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy
I've been half-assing an entry or two each week, but with my main fantasy team quickly falling out of contention I'm starting to see the appeal of the weekly fantasy game format. So this is my first week really taking a systematic approach to putting together some entries. Looks like Week 6 prices are up, though I haven't had a chance to really look through them much yet. Any big values stand out? I didn't realize that they put up the prices so early in the week, that definitely has to lead to some emerging values as the week goes on.

I'm not messing around with any head-to-head or big tournaments or anything like that. It's just 50/50s for me from here on out, I've played three so far this year, cashed in the first two and looks like I'll cash in the third after tonight. Definitely seems like the easiest way to consistently turn a profit.

I've also sort of employed a general strategy of taking mostly studs at QB, RB, and TE, grabbing cheap K and D, and then mostly playing matchups/taking fliers at WR. Seems to be working for me so far, so I'm going to stick with it as a general guideline until further review. With that said here's my first pass at a $60k lineup for week 6:

Matt Ryan

Jamaal Charles

Trent Richardson

Percy Harvin

Michael Crabtree

Andre Roberts

Heath Miller

David Akers

Arizona Cardinals

I'm sure I'll tweak it as the week goes on, but as of right now I wouldn't mind rolling into the week with a lineup like that. :shrug:

This is the toughest fanduel week for me so far. There don't seem to be many value picks like weeks past. The first couple of weeks you could always roll with an RG3 for cheap and there were always good RB's (Morris/Bush) and WR's(Wayne/James Jones) that you could plug in from the 6000-7000 range. They have adjusted everything up to make it pretty tough.

I only do the expert leagues, so I'm sure its a bit easier to fill a lineup with a 60,000 or 65,000 cap. Of course, everyone is in the same shoes with those caps too

0 for 3 in 50/50's last week finishing no worse than 30th. Really disappointing as I thought I assembled quality teams that should have placed. I guess I was close..

I'm a little gunshy this week have last hundreds in week 5. I'll take solace in a lot of people eating it due to terrible weeks by would be values.

So far after looking over the list I like D Moore for 5700. Possible shootout against ATL couple with him outplaying his price every week. Good move for 55k leagues.

Hypothetical question: If you were going to play $100 worth of games each week, would you rather play one $100 game, or 100 $1 games?

Hypothetical question: If you were going to play $100 worth of games each week, would you rather play one $100 game, or 100 $1 games?
100 $1 games. Can play a mix of 50/50, tournaments, and 3 or 5 man leagues. One $100 game can only double your money or lose it all at once.

Yeah I put a lineup together last night and found it much harder than usual to be happy with the team I was looking at when I was done.

I like the Sunday-only games, but this week the pool is especially thin with the following teams out of the mix: PIT, TEN, DEN, SD, JAX, CHI, NO, CAR. I may have to skip the Sun only games this week and keep PIT, TEN, SD and DEN players available.

Last edited by a moderator:
100 $1 games. Can play a mix of 50/50, tournaments, and 3 or 5 man leagues. One $100 game can only double your money or lose it all at once.
This is what I've been doing. 1/3 in Thursday games (split between tourneys & 50/50s), 1/3 in 1 PM games (split between 100/250 tourneys & 50/50s), 1/3 in Sunday (split between tourneys & 50/50s).The decision I've been struggling with whether to diversify lineups or not. Last week I had a bunch of different lineups in, and then changed them all to the same lineup for each time slot - mainly because I wanted to root for a certain set of guys during each time slot. Having too many lineups seemed to take some of the enjoyment out of it. However, if you pick a clunker, or if one of your guys goes down with an injury, it can tank all of your lineups. In that case, it is just like playing one big game instead of several small ones. This week I'm going to try to scale down on the big tourneys, but I just can't seem to resist clicking that "enter" button!This stuff is a bit too addicting for my own good.

Peter King freeroll rough draft lineup:

Kevin Kolb

LeSean McCoy

Trent Richardson

A.J. Green

Andre Roberts

Vincent Jackson

Tony Gonzalez

David Akers

Miami Dolphins

Haden's back for CLE- AJ Green's a tough call this week.

Reggie Bush is a decent value, Larry Fitz is a no-brainer. DEF and K are tougher with not many $5k value picks.

Haden's back for CLE- AJ Green's a tough call this week.Reggie Bush is a decent value, Larry Fitz is a no-brainer. DEF and K are tougher with not many $5k value picks.
I'm not sold on my Green pick yet....but if there was a week to go up against Haden, I think this is the one.Fitz might be a no brainer....but Roberts is great value....and they are not worth starting together.

The decision I've been struggling with whether to diversify lineups or not. Last week I had a bunch of different lineups in, and then changed them all to the same lineup for each time slot - mainly because I wanted to root for a certain set of guys during each time slot. Having too many lineups seemed to take some of the enjoyment out of it.
I'm fairly new at this. Just joined two weeks ago. What I did last week is come up with a core list of players who I like at their price and mix and match the lineups. For example, last week I liked:QB: Ryan, Rivers, PonderRB: Lynch, Gore, Bradshaw, Ryan WilliamsWR: AJ Green, Harvin, Marshall, Demarius Thomas, Malcom Floyd, HixonTE: Gonzalez, Rudolph, Pitta.All my teams had some mixture of those players. Even though some of those picks bombed I had a really good week playing mostly 20 team 50/50's.I haven't looked really closely at this week yet but at first glance I don't see nearly as many good value picks. It might be harder this week.

I took a very early crack at it with one 60K lineup. I'll probably tweak it for other entries as the week goes on, but here was my first shot:

Big Ben

Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch

Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, Denarius Moore

Coby Fleener

Dolphins D

Mike Nugent

In general, I like a lot of the QBs in the 7,500 to 8,000 range. Rivers, Rothlisberger, Dalton, etc. I don't see any huge bargains in the lower priced guys but also don't see a surefire huge week from any of the premium guys, so sticking in the middle. Hoping Ben can take advantage of a mediocre Titans D. I'll probably save my bigger money entries for Sunday though, so will have to go with someone else. Leaning towards Rivers over Dalton.

I've had success spending big money at RB and have gone with Foster for each of the 3 weeks I've played. Sticking with him. Tougher to pick a 2nd guy this week, but chose Lynch as I think he'll get a ton of touches at home vs. the Pats whether his team is up or down. I also like Frank Gore vs. the Giants.

At WR, I went Julio as I kind of feel like he's due for his huge game after Gonzo and Roddy have gone off lately. Thomas looks like a real bargain at under 6k. Moore is a guy who is cheap but has the potential for a big week as Oakland will likely need to score a lot and he's their big play threat.

Wasn't sure what to do at TE, so first inclination was to go super cheap and play a hunch on Fleener vs. the Jets. He got 9 targets last week and I think he should see a similar amount again.

Dolphins have the lowest O/U of the week and the Rams O really struggles without Amendola. Wake is a good bet for a couple sacks against a bad OL. Went with the homer pick of Nugent at K. Bengals-Browns often end up playing close games and FGs play a big role.

'Ignoratio Elenchi said:
The variance is already incredibly high, playing in a single game of course maximizes your variance. Playing more games reduces your variance, other ways to reduce variance: Diversify your line ups, 50/50s are probably the lowest variance format, but if you don't like winning 1.8x your buy then I recommend moving to 3 man leagues (2.7x) and 5 man leagues (4.5x), the variance is of course higher but I've found them to be much softer than 10 man leagues. Also large field tournaments are an incredible waste of time.

First look

QB:

C. Ponder @ WAS (6.9k)

RB: Man if you have been riding cheap rbs all week that stops now, everyone is playing a tough defense this week.

A. Foster vs GB (9.4k)

R. Bush vs STL (7.2k)

S. Jackson @ MIA (6.1k)

A. Morris vs MIN (7.2k)

A. Bradshaw @ SF (7.1k)

WR: Normally able to roster 3 studs by saving everywhere else, impossible this week.

L. Fitzgerald vs BUF (7.6k)

J. Jones vs OAK (7.6k)

R. White vs OAK (7.5k)

P. Harvin @ WAS (7k)

B. Lloyd @ SEA (6.1k)

J. Maclin vs DET (5.9k)

B. Hartline vs STL (5.7k)

TE:

T. Gonzalez vs OAK (6.5k)

K. Rudolph @ WAS (5.8k)

A. Hernandez @ SEA (5.5k)

D. Pitta vs DAL (5k)

First thing I want to say is that I love these message boards! I've been a lurker for at least 10 years, but after reading about fanduel following week one I decided to join and get my free FBG subscrption. I deposited $100 at fanduel before week 2 and currently have $170(lost $50 in week 4)in my account, so my results so far have been meh. I didn't really know what to expect so I've entered everything from large tournaments to H2H. I've actually placed in the money 4 times in the large tournaments. Last week I finished 17/2790 and won myself a $100. I mostly just enter $2 and $5 dollar leagues. I was just looking over my results in the 50/50 tourneys and was kind of shocked at the results. I've been in 32 50/50s

I've finished in the money in 7/10 in expert

7/9 in standard

Only 6/13 in beginner(so I am avoiding beginner in anything) I'm also avoiding H2H. I've scored in the 130-160 range and have lost all 7.

With all that said, as others have also mentioned the prices in week six are all up, but I still see some value(not much at RB though) This week I like

QB-Kolb, Ryan, Manning, Vick, Luck, Dalton, A. Smith and call me crazy, but I think Weeden($6100) should have a good game vs Cincy. The top QBs usually score around 30 points, so if you can find a cheaper guy with a good matchup that will score you 20, you can make that up at RB and WR.

RB-McCoy, TRich, Peterson, Matthews, Bush and maybe Turner, McGahee or Law Firm. If you enter some Thursday leagues Mendenhall is pretty cheap at $6100. Foster is always a good option, but you got to pay.

WR- Seems like all the studs have tough matchups, but I like Fitz, Harvin, Jones, White snd D. Thomas. I like a lot of the cheaper WR this week DJAX, Maclin, Crabtree, Floyd, Hartline, Roberts, T. Smith, Moore, Hawkins, Garcon, Kerley and Avery.

TE- Not many guys I like this week. V. Davis, Gonzo, Daniels, Rudolph and Celek

K-Always some good options at 5k. Nugent, Graham, Henery and Feely

D-Arizona at 5k vs Buff seems nice. I also like Atl and Miami. Seems like a tough week for D's.

A couple of value players this week:

Big Ben @ TEN $7700 - QB 13 in cost. Avging almost 300yds and 2tds/game. TEN D is horrible vs the pass

Christian Ponder @ WAS $6900 - Theyre playing WAS. Nuff said.

Kevin Kolb vs BUF $6400 - ARZ RBs scare me a bit off of this one, but BUF D is epic bad

Mendenhall @ TEN $6100 - Big Ben should have a good day, and they will run to protect the lead

Donald Brown @ NYJ $5800 - Avging 4.0 yds/carry and the Jets are 31st against the run.

Antonio Brown @ TEN $6400 - Leads team in targets, will outshine Wallace again

Desean Jackson vs DET $6200 - Avging 78yds/game, should bounce back against the Lions

Denarius Moore @ ATL $5700 - Palmer will have to air it out, DHB should be back which will help

Andre Roberts vs BUF $5200 - Hes playing against Buffalo

Heath Miller vs TEN $5700 - TEN has allowed 7tds to TEs this year

Jermaine Gresham @ CLE $5400 - With Haden back, Dalton could go to Grisham often

Kicker - pick em

DST - If Cassel is out, I like TB ($5000) vs KC

Can anyone explain the advantages/differences in choosing an "expert" league vs a "beginner" league? Looks like the payouts are the same to me. Why wouldn't I want to play in a beginner league regardless of how good or bad I am?

Or does it lock you out of those after a certain number of wins or $ won?

Can anyone explain the advantages/differences in choosing an "expert" league vs a "beginner" league? Looks like the payouts are the same to me. Why wouldn't I want to play in a beginner league regardless of how good or bad I am?Or does it lock you out of those after a certain number of wins or $ won?
The only differences the starting budget, beginner is 65k, standard is 60k and expert is 55k. And no, if you win X amount of games it doesn't lock you out of a tier.From my experience, the beginner ones are a wash, you can have everything you want so everyone ends up with a very similar roster. I find the expert ones to be just as soft as the standard ones, but i definitely prefer standard. Having to make tough choices at WR is a chore.

Can anyone explain the advantages/differences in choosing an "expert" league vs a "beginner" league? Looks like the payouts are the same to me. Why wouldn't I want to play in a beginner league regardless of how good or bad I am?Or does it lock you out of those after a certain number of wins or $ won?
The only differences the starting budget, beginner is 65k, standard is 60k and expert is 55k. And no, if you win X amount of games it doesn't lock you out of a tier.From my experience, the beginner ones are a wash, you can have everything you want so everyone ends up with a very similar roster. I find the expert ones to be just as soft as the standard ones, but i definitely prefer standard. Having to make tough choices at WR is a chore.
Thanks. If there's a higher budget, seems like a "beginner" is more likely to spend it on higher-priced buys instead of the best ones for that week. As in, they might feel weird having a lot of $ left over and talk themselves out of a good lineup.Then again, the people who enter those leagues aren't necessarily beginners, anyway. But I appreciate the info.

A few value guys that are finding their ways into my "1st cut" lineups.

QB:

Big Ben (7700)

Ponder (6900)

Luck (7900)

RB:

McGahee (6200)

Law Firm (5800)

Mendenhall (6100)

Bush (7200)

WR:

D. Thomas (6800)

Wayne (7400)

Harvin (7000)

Brown (6400)

Kerley (5000)

TE:

Miller (5700)

Gonzo (6500)

K:

Graham (5000)

Walsh (5200)

DT:

Steelers (5000)

Tampa (5000)

I've found this link from Dodds in another thread to be quite useful in researching guys for matchup data.

My strategy is to look for the value guys and stay away from the longshots if I can. RB - looking for the least amount of timeshare with an eye on receptions. WR - looking at high target guys, trying to avoid ATL wideouts, since I haven't hit on them yet! TE - targets & matchup. DT - starting to pay attention to points scored against & matchups. K - not going to spend more than 5000-5200 & will look for Herman's rankings to validate my "gut".

Also, the only big tourneys I'm going to play are the $1-$2 variety.

Here's to having everyone finish in the $$ this week!

:banned:

I took a very early crack at it with one 60K lineup. I'll probably tweak it for other entries as the week goes on, but here was my first shot:

Big Ben

Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch

Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, Denarius Moore

Coby Fleener

Dolphins D

Mike Nugent

In general, I like a lot of the QBs in the 7,500 to 8,000 range. Rivers, Rothlisberger, Dalton, etc. I don't see any huge bargains in the lower priced guys but also don't see a surefire huge week from any of the premium guys, so sticking in the middle. Hoping Ben can take advantage of a mediocre Titans D. I'll probably save my bigger money entries for Sunday though, so will have to go with someone else. Leaning towards Rivers over Dalton.

I've had success spending big money at RB and have gone with Foster for each of the 3 weeks I've played. Sticking with him. Tougher to pick a 2nd guy this week, but chose Lynch as I think he'll get a ton of touches at home vs. the Pats whether his team is up or down. I also like Frank Gore vs. the Giants.

At WR, I went Julio as I kind of feel like he's due for his huge game after Gonzo and Roddy have gone off lately. Thomas looks like a real bargain at under 6k. Moore is a guy who is cheap but has the potential for a big week as Oakland will likely need to score a lot and he's their big play threat.

Wasn't sure what to do at TE, so first inclination was to go super cheap and play a hunch on Fleener vs. the Jets. He got 9 targets last week and I think he should see a similar amount again.

Dolphins have the lowest O/U of the week and the Rams O really struggles without Amendola. Wake is a good bet for a couple sacks against a bad OL. Went with the homer pick of Nugent at K. Bengals-Browns often end up playing close games and FGs play a big role.
hes 6800 this week

Also, for the long shot RB gamble:

Alex Green: (4500)

Definitely suspicious of the RB "value", but if you're looking for a longshot "swing for the fences" pick in a $1 tourney, he could be useful. I think he gets his shot in prime time over Starks.

My 55k Line up what do you think ?

QB Kevin Kolb BUF@ARI$6,400 needed a cheap Qb buff. sucks

RB William Powell BUF@ARI$4,500 Going to get carries for sure & once again Buff.

RB Rashard MendenhallPIT@TEN$6,100 Good back..,good value..,good match up

WR Percy Harvin MIN@W###7,000 the go to guy

WR Larry Fitzgerald BUF@ARI$7,600 once again Buff

WR Demaryius ThomasDEN@SD$6,800 gonna be a shoot out

TE Tony GonzalezOAK@ATL$6,500 against oakland ..,last week 14 targets & 13 catches

K Alex Henery it's good

D Arizona CardinalsBUF@ARI$5,000 Buff lol

My 55k Line up what do you think ?QB Kevin Kolb BUF@ARI$6,400 needed a cheap Qb buff. sucksRB William Powell BUF@ARI$4,500 Going to get carries for sure & once again Buff.RB Rashard MendenhallPIT@TEN$6,100 Good back..,good value..,good match up WR Percy Harvin MIN@W###7,000 the go to guyWR Larry Fitzgerald BUF@ARI$7,600 once again BuffWR Demaryius ThomasDEN@SD$6,800 gonna be a shoot outTE Tony GonzalezOAK@ATL$6,500 against oakland ..,last week 14 targets & 13 catchesK Alex Henery it's goodD Arizona CardinalsBUF@ARI$5,000 Buff lol
I think that's more Cardinals that I'd put in any lineup.

so let me get this right ? you guys think fitz is a bad play ?

if you think he is a good play ..,then that makes kolb a good play too right?

if i get 8 points out of powell i'm happy

and az. defense is beast.

8 points for a RB isn't much...is that a 50/50, h2h or tourney lineup?

Also, a WR could have a good game while his QB has a pedestrian game...while I think Kolb could be a good value play, Id use the savings on other positions where you can make up the difference. Starting a RB that you're hoping to get 8pts from is a bit risky, especially with the Fanduel trend of rising scores needed to finish in the money.

so let me get this right ? you guys think fitz is a bad play ?

if you think he is a good play ..,then that makes kolb a good play too right?

if i get 8 points out of powell i'm happy

and az. defense is beast.
that's where you are wrong, just because Fitz might be a good play, that doesn't mean Kolb will be good. Fitz can get 8/140 = 18pts

and Kolb can go for 220 yards and no tds... which is 8.8 pts... Not what I want from a QB

Thank you for the help guys..,the 55k is alot harder this week.

Is this better ? playing a buddy (nemesis) H2H

QB Alex SmithNYG@SF$7,000

RB Vick BallardIND@NYJ$4,500

RB Rashard MendenhallPIT@TEN$6,100

WR Percy HarvinMIN@W###7,000

WR Larry FitzgeraldBUF@ARI$7,600

WR Malcom FloydDEN@SD$5,900

TE Tony GonzalezOAK@ATL$6,500

K Greg ZuerleinSTL@MIA$5,300

D Arizona CardinalsBUF@ARI$5,000

or

QB Andrew LuckIND@NYJ$7,900

RB Vick BallardIND@NYJ$4,500

RB Rashard MendenhallPIT@TEN$6,100

WR Percy HarvinMIN@W###7,000

WR Demaryius ThomasDEN@SD$6,800

WR Malcom FloydDEN@SD$5,900

TE Tony GonzalezOAK@ATL$6,500

K Greg ZuerleinSTL@MIA$5,300

D Arizona CardinalsBUF@ARI$5,000

Who does not have Harvin in his lineup??? Gets boring after a while.

Of all the times I pick Jimmy Graham and he takes a ####. Was first in a big league with River/Graham still left on sunday night. ####.

Had Luck,Wayne,Harvin,Chicago D, yada yada yada and still lost by 40 heads up...unreal

$1 wth 50/50 Thu 60k

QB

Matt Ryan

RB

Vick Ballard

Rashard Mendenhall

WR

Victor Cruz

A.J. Green

Roddy White

TE

Tony Gonzalez

K

David Akers

D

Pittsburgh Steelers

I think I am 100% in the 50/50's, closest I came to not placing was 24/50. I have placed low in the big tourneys a couple of times, and also finished way out the money, but will definitely keep risking the 1 or 2 bucks each week with a chance to win $350 or $700. Doesn't seem to be any set strategy for the big tourney's, but I have noticed that at least two of the contest winners seemed to load up on 3 or 4 players from a good offense with a good matchup. Last week it was Eli/Bradshaw/Cruz. A week ago it was Ryan/Turner/White/Gonzo.

In last week's Fandual thread, I don't remember anyone really talking about Eli/Cruz. I gave Cruz some thought, but didn't have him in any of my lineups. Bradshaw was heavily discussed, with Dodds having him in all his example lineups.

I like Maclin A LOT this week going up against Detroit's secondary, seems to be one of the best values on the board at 5900. I also like Mendenhall at 6100, but could see the Steelers using more of a rotation this week so as to not over-work him. Seems like you have to find a way to invest the money for Fitz this week, in what could be a shootout vs BUF. Maybe this is the week to load up on the Falcons in the big tourneys, something like Ryan/Turner/Jones/Gonzo, and fill in the rest of the lineup with the best values possible. Turner should have a field-day against the OAK run D.

Draftstreet week 6:http://fantasy-footballu.com/draftstreet/?SSScrollPosition=38
I don't like Stafford at all this week. On the road against Philly. Not a great matchup. Seems like many better choices out there for QB this week. Also don't like Calvin, but if they try to cover him one-on-one, he could have a rather nice day, assuming Stafford is not on laying on his back.

'Ignoratio Elenchi said:
This is what I've been doing. 1/3 in Thursday games (split between tourneys & 50/50s), 1/3 in 1 PM games (split between 100/250 tourneys & 50/50s), 1/3 in Sunday (split between tourneys & 50/50s).The decision I've been struggling with whether to diversify lineups or not. Last week I had a bunch of different lineups in, and then changed them all to the same lineup for each time slot - mainly because I wanted to root for a certain set of guys during each time slot. Having too many lineups seemed to take some of the enjoyment out of it. However, if you pick a clunker, or if one of your guys goes down with an injury, it can tank all of your lineups. In that case, it is just like playing one big game instead of several small ones. This week I'm going to try to scale down on the big tourneys, but I just can't seem to resist clicking that "enter" button!This stuff is a bit too addicting for my own good.
If you're playing in more than 10 leagues, then you should be playing different lineups. I fielded 16 unique rosters last week although I was dreamcrushed by RGIII since he was on 10 of them. There is going to be some overlap between rosters, but that's ok. You should consider the entire roster a unique entry even if it shares every player but one with another lineup.edit: 16 rosters on ~200 entries

Users who are viewing this thread