What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (4 Viewers)

Welker averaged 7.2 receptions and 80.2 yds/gm in the regular season and 7.7 catches and 76.2 yds/gm in the post season.

Edelman has averaged 6.4 receptions and 69.8 yds/gm in the regular season since becoming a starter. But 8.2 catches and 102.8 yds/gm in the post season.
I think Edelman is hitting his groove.  Sure, he's gotten lit up with big hits, like Welker, but I get the sense this guy will be productive for several more years.

I think Edelman is hitting his groove.  Sure, he's gotten lit up with big hits, like Welker, but I get the sense this guy will be productive for several more years.
Edelman is literally the only WR signed for next year, so there are nothing but ??? on who else will be there and whether Gronk will be back. Lots of uncertainty.

Edelman is literally the only WR signed for next year, so there are nothing but ??? on who else will be there and whether Gronk will be back. Lots of uncertainty.
...and lots of cap, draft picks and options.  I'd love them to get Brown or Beckham but that will never happen.

...and lots of cap, draft picks and options.  I'd love them to get Brown or Beckham but that will never happen.
Lots of draft picks, yes. (Plus their 2018 draft class all returning from IR.) Not so much on the cap space. They have $16 million available based on who they have signed without any tweaking. That ranks 23rd in the league. Average is $34 million. The Colts have $107 million in cap space.

I don't see them ponying up the money to pay OBJ and there is flat out no way PIT would trade Brown to NE. So I agree with you there.

Lots of draft picks, yes. (Plus their 2018 draft class all returning from IR.) Not so much on the cap space. They have $16 million available based on who they have signed without any tweaking. That ranks 23rd in the league. Average is $34 million. The Colts have $107 million in cap space.

I don't see them ponying up the money to pay OBJ and there is flat out no way PIT would trade Brown to NE. So I agree with you there.
They have to sign Trenton Brown (top priority), S Gostkowski, and maybe bring back J McCourty if they think JC Jackson
if they think he is no better then a #3 CB.  Then decide on how to restock the WR's- draft or FA's or re sign the three that could leave.

If they trade for a WR it will be another "guy" that they turn into a better then average player. 

EDIT to add- Trey Flowers is a FA

Last edited by a moderator:
They have to sign Trenton Brown (top priority), S Gostkowski, and maybe bring back J McCourty if they think JC Jackson
if they think he is no better then a #3 CB.  Then decide on how to restock the WR's- draft or FA's or re sign the three that could leave.

If they trade for a WR it will be another "guy" that they turn into a better then average player. 
I'm a maybe on Brown. He was good but not great. Ranked as the #37 OT by PFF this season. He was very valuable for what they paid him (peanuts). If he wants near the top of the market money, he won't be back. They have the kid they drafted from Georgia in the first round coming back (Isaiah Wynn).

I hope they try to keep Flowers, but given their track record I am not all that hopeful.

My fear is they bring in a crop of retreads, reclamation projects, and rookies at receiver and Brady goes on another round the world caravan and doesn't show up until training camp. Their offense could be a disaster to start the season. But things could also go the other way too. Gronk could stick around, Gordon could get reinstated, and one or two of the receivers could come back. 

I'm a maybe on Brown. He was good but not great. Ranked as the #37 OT by PFF this season. He was very valuable for what they paid him (peanuts). If he wants near the top of the market money, he won't be back. They have the kid they drafted from Georgia in the first round coming back (Isaiah Wynn).

I hope they try to keep Flowers, but given their track record I am not all that hopeful.

My fear is they bring in a crop of retreads, reclamation projects, and rookies at receiver and Brady goes on another round the world caravan and doesn't show up until training camp. Their offense could be a disaster to start the season. But things could also go the other way too. Gronk could stick around, Gordon could get reinstated, and one or two of the receivers could come back. 
Great at pass blocking, not sure about the run part. I'll have to disagree with that ranking. He handled any pass rush from the left which allowed the right side
to chip or stunt. Agree about Flowers. BB might decide to plug n play another guy there.

I think they do SOMETHING to give Brady a good shot at another ring, WR wise. They need a 6'2" burner for the outside, even if Brady doesn't have 
chemistry with him. They just need the threat.    

Why Tim Dwight wasn;t used more in that....quick cut/slot man?  He was far faster than both Welker/Edelman.(Big10 100m champ)

Oh well.

Edelman has that stop and accellerate thing totally down, his accelleration out of a cut is amazing.  Nobody can hang with that as we are seeing. I do think he has better hands than Welker but wouldn't argue that.

Every team needs a guy like Julian Edelman

Going forward?? Not sure if this has been discussed but Edelman is signed through 2020 and he is going to be 33 in May. From a dynasty lens is he a hold/buy/sell?  Is he so much different based on his situation and style that he can play for a couple more seasons and give buyers reasonable wr2 numbers? Bill seems to be a year early than a year late on aging players not named Brady. How secure is Edelman? Does the Super Bowl change Bill moving on from him sooner than later?
I think he's good to 2020 but he takes a lot of hits. It won't be a gradual drop off. In dynasty PPR he is a hold.

Lots of undersized WR's available in the draft this year.

With Edeleman advancing in age, wonder if NE takes one to develop this year (with one of their 15 draft picks).

Lots of undersized WR's available in the draft this year.

With Edeleman advancing in age, wonder if NE takes one to develop this year (with one of their 15 draft picks).
They have Braxton Berrios coming off of IR. 5'9" 190#, was drafted in the 6th round.
It's just him and Edelman that are coming back. Every one else is a free agent. Slater is just a special teamer.

Loved Welker but IMO Edelman > Welker. 
Yeah I thought edelman was a poor man's Welker but he's moved way up.  

The other comp i think is interesting is hines ward.  Former quarterback, natural football player but not huge, became a tough slot guy whose postseason success will probably get him in the hof. It's not likely edelman will catch him on regular season numbers, and ward was a better blocker, but they both have that it factor where you never really saw them on the list of most talented receivers in the nfl but they were always good but could just take over a game when they were needed.  

They have Braxton Berrios coming off of IR. 5'9" 190#, was drafted in the 6th round.
It's just him and Edelman that are coming back. Every one else is a free agent. Slater is just a special teamer.
Pretty likely that amendola is available this off season if they want to go back to that well.  Would be awesome schtick if the players gave him a gift, wrapped in news clippings of the Miami miracle, and inside was an autographed framed photo from the superbowl.  

Pretty likely that amendola is available this off season if they want to go back to that well.  Would be awesome schtick if the players gave him a gift, wrapped in news clippings of the Miami miracle, and inside was an autographed framed photo from the superbowl.  
Amendola was inconsistent and took a pay cut several times. To replace Edelmen you need that and to be as tough as nails.
I do not not know how tough Amendola is, but it's not Edelmen tough. 

Amendola was inconsistent and took a pay cut several times. To replace Edelmen you need that and to be as tough as nails.
I do not not know how tough Amendola is, but it's not Edelmen tough. 
Ah, sorry. I didn't understand what you meant.  I think the pats bring amendola back but not to replace edelman. I also think they're hopeful gordon comes back. 

If i had to pick one receiver in this free agency class, though, it would be Jamison Crowder 

Ah, sorry. I didn't understand what you meant.  I think the pats bring amendola back but not to replace edelman. I also think they're hopeful gordon comes back. 

If i had to pick one receiver in this free agency class, though, it would be Jamison Crowder 
I don't think they bring back Amendola unless it's for $1 mill a year. Agree with Crowder as Edelmen's (eventual) replacement.

Patriots signed Julian Edelman to a two-year extension through 2021.

The deal includes an $8 million signing bonus and $12 million guaranteed. Edelman was entering the final year of his deal, but this extension will keep him under contract through his age-35 season. Edelman showed no signs of slowing down last season, catching 74 passes for 850 yards and six touchdowns in just 12 games. With Rob Gronkowski gone, Edelman should be leaned on even more moving forward.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 21, 2019, 10:53 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Julian Edelman is expected to be sidelined the first three weeks of training camp with a left thumb injury.

Edelman was spotted with a brace on the thumb at his youth camp over the weekend, and it's now being revealed he's going to miss a large chunk of camp. The good news is Edelman should still be ready in time for Week 1. However, this is just another injury in a long line of them for the 33-year-old. Braxton Berrios and Dontrelle Inman will soak up plenty of slot reps early in camp.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jul 22, 2019, 10:17 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Julian Edelman (active/NFI) is recovering from a broken left thumb.

Per Rapsheet, Edelman's injury occurred three weeks ago while playing catch. Clearly the injury is more serious than the tight-lipped Patriots had let on (the team described it only as "mild trauma"). Either way, the veteran slot receiver is expected to be up and running by Week 1. Fantasy owners bullish on Edelman's potential for massive volume in a thinned-out Patriots receiving corps can still draft him with confidence.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jul 25, 2019, 8:21 AM ET

Patriots activated WR Julian Edelman (thumb) from the active/NFI list.

Meanwhile, teammate Demaryius Thomas (Achilles’) has not yet been removed from the PUP list. Although coach Bill Belichick has remained silent on Edelman’s participation, the 33-year-old was spotted in practice with full pads and uniform. As it stands, New England could (unexpectedly) open the season with both Edelman and Josh Gordon in their starting unit.

SOURCE: Field Yates

Aug 19, 2019, 5:59 PM ET

Julian Edelman caught 6-of-11 targets for 83 yards in Week 1 against the Steelers.

Edelman easily led the Patriots in targets, with Josh Gordon and Phillip Dorsett only getting four each. His thumb injury was a non-issue after missing most of training camp. Edelman's slot role is secure, but he has a lot of competition playing with Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon in three-wide sets. The Dolphins are a cake matchup for Edelman in Week 2.

Sep 8, 2019, 11:56 PM ET

Wow, newest Edelman post from 2012?

Anyway, with the AB release, I see Edelman has jumped to low end WR #1 from low end WR #2 / WR #3.

Define “long term.”
Ros. Running and pass pro is going to be a problem. 

I own and love Edelman. But if the D isn’t worried about the run or deep ball they will focus on White, Edelman and putting Brady on his back. 

Ros. Running and pass pro is going to be a problem. 

I own and love Edelman. But if the D isn’t worried about the run or deep ball they will focus on White, Edelman and putting Brady on his back. 
Lol at Brady being hit 

it’s against the rules Brah 

Users who are viewing this thread