What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty League Rule Advice: Setting up Contracts/Salary Cap (1 Viewer)

Black

Footballguy
Quick Dynasty League questions: when you have Contracts/Salary Cap, 1. what rules do you use for increasing salaries after x number of years, etc.? 2. Is it performance based (top 10 RB increases salary by 50% after 3 years, etc)?3. What do you use for tracking Salaries and Salary increases?4. When a player is cut, do they go into a Free Agent Pool/Free Agent Draft, or a combined Rookie/Free Agent Draft?thanks!

From my league...1) We increase salaries 10% every year2) Salaries are based on the league members auction prices for that player. At the end of their contract you can choose to tag at the top 5, 10, or 15 salaries.3) MFL does this automatically, I believe?4) During the season, cut players go into the FA pool and can be won thru blind bids

Quick Dynasty League questions: when you have Contracts/Salary Cap, 1. what rules do you use for increasing salaries after x number of years, etc.? 2. Is it performance based (top 10 RB increases salary by 50% after 3 years, etc)?3. What do you use for tracking Salaries and Salary increases?4. When a player is cut, do they go into a Free Agent Pool/Free Agent Draft, or a combined Rookie/Free Agent Draft?thanks!
We don't use salaries, we use contract years. Each team has 100 years to hand out to their players (we have 40 player rosters, with idp).So:1- Each year their contract goes down by 12 - Everyone goes down by 1 regardless of how they finish the year3 - MFL, it handles everything for us. I know they do salaries too, because there is an option for that4 - Free agent pool. We have weekly blind bid pickups during the season and on set dates on the offseason. Ends up being 4 or 5 FA pickups during the offseason. Rookie draft is for rookies only.Hope that helps.

Our league is not a full dynasty league (a maximum of 5 players may be kept), but our rules would work just as well for a dynasty league.* Player salaries are fixed for the first two years.* After their second season, salaries increase based upon their performance. At a minimum, however, salaries increase by $5 their third year, and an additional $10 every year after that.* If a player finished outside the top-20 for their position, they only go up by the minimum amount.* If a player finished in the top-20, but outside the top-10, their salary is adjusted as follows: 1. Take the average cost of the 10 most expensive players in their position from the previous year's auction (this includes kept players as well). 2. Subtract the player's current salary (prior to the minimum increase) from that average. If the number is positive (i.e. the player's salary is smaller than the average top salaries), add either that or the minimum increase, whichever is larger. If the number is negative (i.e. the player's salary is greater), then add the minimum amount.* If a player finished in the top-10, use the same formula as above, but use the average cost of the 5 more expensive players.It looks a little complicated, but it's easy to set up with a spreadsheet. Essentially, players catch up to their market prices quickly, but if you pick up a player on the cheap who explodes that year, you can conceivably keep them for 5-7 years until they're no longer worth their escalating salary (we may actually have our first 8-year player this year, but 7 has so far been the longest in our 11-year league history). On the other hand, players bought at market prices tend to only be kept 2 or 3 years before they get tossed back because they could be repurchased for a similar amount of money or another replacement player could be had for a similar price.This was a specific design choice for our league, however, to keep teams from extended dynasties. Although we've had a couple of repeat winners, it prevents a team from long domination based upon a couple of really great pickups as they quickly go from "great discount" to "moderate discount" for their value. It still gives you an edge for drafting well for future use, but between the escalating salaries and the limited keeper numbers, it helps keep the playing field even (and makes the auction much more interesting, as well, which is important for a league of friends as ours is).

Quick Dynasty League questions: when you have Contracts/Salary Cap, 1. what rules do you use for increasing salaries after x number of years, etc.?2. Is it performance based (top 10 RB increases salary by 50% after 3 years, etc)?
I don't like a mindless function to increase salary automatically. While you do have to decide when a player isn't worth his new salary, there are other systems that accomplish the same goals while introducing more strategy and critical thinking than that.We have 3 year contracts at the winning bid price. After they finish year 2 of their contract, you can give them a contract extension to buy a 4th and/or 5th year. But doing so includes an immediate raise to their salary for year 3 and the extra years. Buying a 4th year costs (greater of 20%/$10 raise) and buying a 5th year (greater of 40% or $10). Anytime their contract is finished (whether 3, 4, or 5 years), you also have 1 Franchise Tag (minimum 20% raise/avg top 5 salaries at position) and 2 Transition tags (minimum 10% raise/avg top 10 salaries), though the tag stays on the player for 3 years, you don't get a new set every year. Other teams can bid the player up higher but you can let them go and get rookie picks as compensation (two 1sts for franchise, a single 2nd for transition).That's just one example of how you could do things and introduce more strategy. But in general I like the concept of making people have to put more into their decisions than just looking at the immediate coming year. I also think introducing Tags as a way of keeping players past a certain point adds another element to the mix. Sometimes I've had trades driven by the fact I wasn't going to have a Tag free for a player worth tagging, so I needed to move him for someone with years left on his contract.If using this exact system, you should consider adjusting amounts for roster size, salary cap size, etc. We have 45-55 player rosters and $500 cap space. Which I average out to about $10 of cap per roster spot, and the top fantasy players are generally worth in the $90-$100 range, just for comparison's sake. Walk through a minimum price player to see if you are ok with the salaries that result. For example in my system, you can still have great bargains for minimum price players who break out (Foster $1 for his first two years, then $11 for years 3-5, then jumps to a $76 franchise tag in year 6). Of course if it was AP who started out at maybe $65 as a first round RB rookie, then the same options would go different. Extending him to 5 years would jump his price to $86. You'd be better off letting him play out a 3 year contract then franchise tagging him and raising his price to a $78 franchise tag for a second 3 year contract, and then finally he hits $93 if you tagged him again for a third 3 year contract so you could keep him 9 years at cheaper prices throughout.
3. What do you use for tracking Salaries and Salary increases?
MFL tracks everything. It holds the salaries and sets winning BB or vet auction bids as salaries, shows the minimum for FCFS pickups. We have one column which shows years completed on present contract, and another which shows if they've been extended or tagged.At end of year I do have to go through all rostered players who were given the default min price and fill in the years manually, as it displays the minimum but doesn't actually put the number in the system. Then once that is done, there is a button to increment the remaining years.
4. When a player is cut, do they go into a Free Agent Pool/Free Agent Draft, or a combined Rookie/Free Agent Draft?
Player who is cut has his old contract wiped and is available in Blind Bidding waivers in season, or at the Vet Auction in August if during off-season.Tagged players can be cut, and it frees up the Tag for use on another player, but said team cannot reacquire the tagged player without the Tag being free to go back on him.Originally I had wanted waivers and free agency, where someone could first pick up the player at his previous contract from waivers, and if he clears waivers with no claims, then he goes into BB waivers. But IIRC, the option to wipe the contract details was going to apply as soon as he hit waivers or not at all, so we dropped the waiver part and now just have him go straight to Blind Bidding.

We have a year-round hard $$ cap with assigned contract lengths. We have a max length per player and a max number of years for the entire roster.1. player $$ remains the same throughout the life the contract. When contract expires, the owner has right of first refusal (match the new price to keep).2. N/A per 1.3. MFL4. We have a penalty for players cut in-season (we don't recoup the entire cap $, only a percentage). Recoup 100% of cap $$ if cut during off-season. Cut players go into the FA auction held annually after the NFL draft (no FA is available on the wire between the end of FFL season and FA auction). Players cut in-season are available on the wire for a set contract amount for current season only. End of current season, player goes back into the FA auction. No player claimed off waivers can be held longer than that season without going up for auction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread