What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (2 Viewers)

Greg Cosell had a great little comment on him. He said he would make a video cut up of all the plays where Manziel ignored an open receiver, and did some crazy Johnny Football stuff, and ask Johnny to explain the play to him.

His point was Johnny was doing improvisational stuff when he didn't need to, and that living on the edge, when you didn't need to, was not a recipe for success. I certainly agree with that.
I haven't watched a ton of JM. Does he do this all that much more than other guys? He's not the only quarterback in history to miss that a receiver is open.

it's been asked before but are people just engaging in confirmation bias now?
Cosell doesn't strike me as that type.

Hey, when you become known as the magic man, scrambling and making things happen, it stands to reason that you might be a bit too quick to take off and try and make things happen.

Analyst: Johnny Manziel has 'bust written all over him'By Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

There is no shortage of opinions on both sides of the fence regarding Johnny Manziel's NFL potential, but few, if any, are sitting on it. The former Texas A&M star is reportedly a potential No. 1 overall pick to the Houston Texans, yet few dispute that his unconventional style and electrifying scrambling skills will make for a most trying transition into a pro-style offense that will call for more patience in the pocket than he is accustomed to.

ESPN analyst Merril Hoge put himself squarely on the side of the Manziel doubters in delivering some of the harshest criticism yet for the former Aggies star.

"He has absolutely no instinct or feel for pocket awareness. He has an instinct to run. That's a bad instinct if you're going to have that in the National Football League. You have to play in the pocket with traffic around you and throw it. When traffic comes around him, he runs, and that's dangerous in the National Football League," Hoge said. "His skill set does not transition to the National Football League, and it is a big, big risk. In fact, I see bust written all over him, especially if he's drafted in the first round."

There is little doubt Manziel will be drafted in the first round, particularly with roughly half the teams set to pick in the top 10 in the market for a new starting quarterback. The pre-draft narrative at the quarterback position holds that Manziel, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and UCF's Blake Bortles will be the first three passers selected. Yet, Hoge's criticism brings to mind a weeks-old report that, in spite of Manziel's athletic appeal, more than half of NFL quarterback coaches would prefer Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr to Manziel. And Carr might not even be a first-round pick.

Hoge was critical of Manziel in the areas that quarterback coaches hold dearest: decision-making, accuracy and pocket awareness.

The quarterback coach who, on draft day, is handed the task of molding Manziel into an NFL success might do well to keep some Tylenol handy. Too much excitement can cause headaches.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

I don't really care about Hodge one way or the other, but I agree. Actually it's basically what I've said about him for months. Many others have as well. He bails on good pockets and doesn't play within it. He doesn't anticipate passing windows well, either. Not sure why there is fuss about it.

Brees and Wilson have been very good for Manziel.

Did not know this department:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/page/hotread140319/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-difficult-project-teams-aware-high-stakes

Excerpt - "But now the 5-foot-11 Wilson has a Super Bowl title to his name and is likely a year or two away from a major contract extension. He's done plenty to reduce the stigma associated with short quarterbacks, and the 5-foot-11¾ Johnny Manziel, who could be one of the first picks in the draft this spring, is all but a lock to be the first QB under 6-foot to go in the first two rounds of the draft since Ted Marchibroda in 1953."

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Manziel wins 'Johnny Football' trademark caseBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

Pending a possible appeal, Johnny Manziel has apparently won a legal battle over the trademark rights to his nickname, "Johnny Football."

And the outside income that could result is no small matter.

The U.S. Trademark and Patent Office issued a letter this week to a company that filed for rights to the name three months before Manziel did, rejecting a claim from Kenneth R. Reynolds Family Investments that the phrase didn't refer to a specific person. According to espn.com, the letter reads: "Registration is refused because the applied-for mark consists of or includes a name, portrait, or signature identifying a particular living individual whose written consent to register the mark is not of record."

The letter included attached articles referring to Manziel as "Johnny Football."

Assuming a possible appeal or request for reconsideration by the Reynolds company fails, the move allows Manziel's company, JMAN Enterprises, to move forward with its claim for rights to the name. If Reynolds does neither in the next six months, the matter will be closed.

But the potential windfall for Manziel would be wide open.

The trademark would legally prevent merchandise peddlers from using the phrase "Johnny Football" without Manziel's consent. That means every apparel company that wants to put Johnny Football on a T-shirt, hat or coffee mug would have to negotiate with Manziel for a fee or royalty.

Something tells us the Johnny Football business will outlast the Johnny Football athletic career by a longshot.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Hoge savaged him. But he said 99% of the time he doesn't go to the right read in zone coverage.

Exaggerate much, Merrill?

He tends to be an extremist. He just said Watkins has the greatest combo of power, speed and hands he has ever seen for a college WR (including players like Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant in the NFL). I thought I liked Watkins, but that seems over the top.

Hoge savaged him. But he said 99% of the time he doesn't go to the right read in zone coverage.

Exaggerate much, Merrill?

He tends to be an extremist. He just said Watkins has the greatest combo of power, speed and hands he has ever seen for a college WR (including players like Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant in the NFL). I thought I liked Watkins, but that seems over the top.
Merrill Hoge is living proof of why the NFL is so worried about concussions now.

Yeah. Does anyone even listen to Hoge anymore? I mean anyone???

I see plenty (enough to know he can do it anyway) of stick throws from the pocket in the highlights I'm watching. Sure, he's running around in other highlights, scrambling, making plays, but since when is that considered a negative thing? There's nothing more frustrating for a defense than having everyone covered on 3rd and 7 only to see the QB take off for 8 yards.

Get him on a team with a good coaching staff, solid defense, and a running game where he doesn't have to do everything, and I think you have a playoff contender right away. Sometimes a guy can just play. Manziel can play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi0ij3CHjR0

Two nice throws from the pocket in the first 30 seconds of this highlight reel. Dime at 2:40. :shrug:

Lance Zierlein breaks down Manziel with a strong stat-driven approach.

I’ve heard questions about whether or not Manziel can beat a team from the pocket and to do that, he has to prove that he is accurate. Was he accurate from the pocket in college? Yes. Yes he was.

When Manziel threw from the pocket, he completed 73.6% of his passes for 3,429 yards, 9.95 ypa and 27 TDs. Can Manziel scramble and hurt you with his feet? Absolutely, but to assume that his passing game primarily revolved around scrambling and making passes outside the pocket would be a mistake.

Ive heard questions about whether or not Manziel can beat a team from the pocket and to do that, he has to prove that he is accurate. Was he accurate from the pocket in college? Yes. Yes he was.

When Manziel threw from the pocket, he completed 73.6% of his passes for 3,429 yards, 9.95 ypa and 27 TDs. Can Manziel scramble and hurt you with his feet? Absolutely, but to assume that his passing game primarily revolved around scrambling and making passes outside the pocket would be a mistake.
I just watched his Duke game and came away with a far different impression. Stats can lie. He has horrible mechanics, locks onto WRs and had inflated completion numbers do to short throws. He also had a near perfect pocket every time. His oline was incredible. Despite that he throws off his back foot and had very poor accuracy on passes over 15 yds. He only hit the guys who were running wide open. Mostly because they were so open they could adjust to the passes without the DB breaking them up. I saw very few NFL caliber throws I to tight spaces or throwing a guy open. He waits until the guy is wide open and can't anticipate well. He floats a lot of deep balls because he is always throwing off his back foot. I believe he throws off his back foot because he is always conflicted about running or passing.

I’ve heard questions about whether or not Manziel can beat a team from the pocket and to do that, he has to prove that he is accurate. Was he accurate from the pocket in college? Yes. Yes he was.

I have been following much of the Manziel debate on twitter and am starting to change my mind on him. I think I would be absolutely OK if the Vikings choose to draft him at 8. As Zierlein said NFL coordinators have been good at adapting their game plans to suite the strength of their QBs. Manziel has such a competitive drive and so elusive in and out of the pocket it is getting harder to imagine how he will not be successful in the league.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/page/hotread140319/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-difficult-project-teams-aware-high-stakes

Excerpt - "But now the 5-foot-11 Wilson has a Super Bowl title to his name and is likely a year or two away from a major contract extension. He's done plenty to reduce the stigma associated with short quarterbacks, and the 5-foot-11¾ Johnny Manziel, who could be one of the first picks in the draft this spring, is all but a lock to be the first QB under 6-foot to go in the first two rounds of the draft since Ted Marchibroda in 1953."
I never like comparing Manziel to Wilson, Wilson is thick and jacked like an RB... even though hes smaller he looks capable of taking big hits and being fine. Johnny looks skinny and frail, in those shirtless photos out there he has no muscle on him. I have no idea how he weighed as much as he did, the good thing is hes capable of filling out if he puts in the work.

Brees has always had a skin man build to him but you can still tell that he works out.

So where do we think Manziel will wind up in FF dynasty rankings? Top 3? Not starting material? Where are we at now???

KellysHeroes said:

I never like comparing Manziel to Wilson, Wilson is thick and jacked like an RB... even though hes smaller he looks capable of taking big hits and being fine. Johnny looks skinny and frail, in those shirtless photos out there he has no muscle on him. I have no idea how he weighed as much as he did, the good thing is hes capable of filling out if he puts in the work.

Brees has always had a skin man build to him but you can still tell that he works out.
I just meant in the sense it could cause scouts to rethink rigid positional measurable parameters.

I have a feeling Johnny will be a much better fantasy QB than an actual QB.......................I have a feeling that phrase has been uttered before. :nerd: :nerd:

Bleh. So a backup? That seems awful.
WHat exactly are you looking for from a rookie Qb??
Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, RGIII, Russell Wilson all were solid to top options right away. That's probably given If I am drafting a QB in rookie FF over a good RB or WR then I want at least a guy who won't kill you if you start him and ideally someone who gives you an advantage each week. That's what I want ideally. Otherwise I'll take another position in a one QB league.

Bleh. So a backup? That seems awful.
WHat exactly are you looking for from a rookie Qb??
Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, RGIII, Russell Wilson all were solid to top options right away. That's probably given If I am drafting a QB in rookie FF over a good RB or WR then I want at least a guy who won't kill you if you start him and ideally someone who gives you an advantage each week. That's what I want ideally. Otherwise I'll take another position in a one QB league.
I definitely wouldnt be drafting a QB in the 1str roound of this rookie draft

Meh, I'm going to stay away. I have the 2 and 6 picks in a 2QB dynasty. Not touching him with either. Too much bust potential. Probably kick myself.

KellysHeroes said:

The problem comes when reconciling Manziel's build with his game.

The people debating that it's a 10 ft. rim are hilarious. What they aren't accounting for is his running start, which allows him to jump a lot higher than the standing vertical at the combine. I've seen plenty of 6' tall guys dunking, nothing especially impressive about that. The video also only shows his successful dunks, not all the misses.
Let me know when he does a windmill or double-pump reverse, something with power. One advantage Manziel has is his huge hands allowing him better control of the ball.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt names Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel as his top prospect in this years draft.
"In process of updating my top 50 prospects list. Top 5 as it stands today: 1 Manziel, 2 Robinson, 3 Matthews, 4 Clowney, 5 Barr," Brandt Tweeted. Brandt has been very high on Johnny Manziel for some time now, to name Manziel as his top prospect could easily turn some heads. Brandt has compared Manziel to Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, only with better athletic ability. Manziel still remains a heavy underdog to unseat Bortles as Houston's presumed No. 1 overall choice, but he'll have every opportunity to wow the Texans brass on Thursday at 11 a.m. in College Station.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt said he would rate Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "up there with" Matt Ryan in terms of football smarts.
Brandt ranks Manziel as the top prospect in this class and notes he frequently speaks to the quarterback, but it is a noteworthy statement nonetheless. Manziel's game is frequently criticized for his frenetic behavior, but we think there is plenty of intent to his game. He can be a very quick and decisive passer after his improvisational movements.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread