What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (8 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel's ability to drive the football with arm strength is a "concern for a lot of people."
Cosell is tight with a number of NFL coaches and typically has spot-on info. "When you watch Johnny Manziel on film," Cosell said, "when he had to make throws that were at the intermediate or deeper levels -- I'm talking about throws that required a little bit of arm strength -- he had to put his entire body into making those throws. And that was a concern. Because in the NFL you won't get clean pockets, you won't get the same kind of functional space you get in college. And he had to work so hard to throw the football down the field, that I'd be anxious to see how he throws (at his Pro Day). And my guess is they'll structure his Pro Day tomorrow to try to show that he can drive the football. Because that is a concern for a lot of people." We'll have another Manziel post after Thursday's workout.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

Looking fowrard to it: Link

Media CoverageNFL Network: 90 minutes of live coverage from 10:30 am to Noon CT.

ESPN: Live reports during NFL Insiders at 2:30 pm CT; NFL Live at 3:00 pm CT

Gruden's Quarterback Camp: ESPN will debut the series with Johnny Manziel on Thursday evening at 6:00 pm CT. Coverage will include the film session and onfield workouts. Here is a preview of the show.

Streaming: ESPN will have a Live Feed on Watch ESPN beginning at 10:30 am CT.

Manziel's pro day is sure to be the most hyped pro day in the history of QBs casually throwing the ball around in their pajamas. It remains to be seen whether Manziel will be able to quiet concerns about his size with a stellar workout on Thursday.

What looks like an advance copy of Manziel's pro day script came across our Twitter feed this evening (we'll let you determine the authenticity):

@pandrewwar I have manziel's pro day script! pic.twitter.com/hnb19LsQn6

— Kevin Lewis (@bbslugger)

March 27, 2014
Also of note, A&M's star WR Mike Evans will be one of the players catching passes from Manziel during the workout. We'll be watching his performance closely (along with all of the NFL scouts).

Rotoworld take:

Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel will wear a helmet and shoulder pads during the throwing portion of his pro day, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.
This is unique. In fact, we are not sure if this has ever been done. Manziel has worked with George Whitfield and Kevin O'Connell in preparation for the workout, and it will be the first time he has thrown in front of evaluators during the pre-draft process. As we say with every quarterback pro day, do not read too much into the results. Some might highlight a "bigger than expected arm" today, but he consistently threw downfield this season with the Aggies. Arm strength is not an issue.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

I'm a fan of this, by the way. Don't think it's a big deal either way, but sure, put him in a helmet. Like to see QBs going versus DBs at their pro day, just to let them demonstrate ball placement (outside shoulder, etc.).

So what's the low range of where he could go in the draft?

And what are people really expecting?
4-32

i bet he goes in the early teens
5-32, Browns are not taking Johhny Football.

Going somewhere in the mid teens sounds right to me too.
Browns fans sure are sure where their team is going. Wish I was as confident in my team.

----Not sarcasm by the way.
I hope we are right that we are not taking a QB at 4, I was sure we weren't going to take Weeden in the 1st round at 22 and that didn't work out so well.

Gonna be no middle ground with this guy. He's either going to spend the next ten years flipping everyone the bird as he takes the NFL by storm, or he's going to go full Hindenburg in stadiums around the country.

I love it. Seriously I don't see attitude as much as awesome swagger. The game is played with pads and helmet. They should run 40s in full equipment in my opinion. Johnny Manziel is right.

After seeing some of Bortles and Bridgewater's Pro Day (and Manziel's thus far), I actually think Manziel has a bigger arm and throws the best deep ball. Again, these are controlled environments so I'm just comparing what I've seen strictly in pro days.

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing some of Bortles and Bridgewater's Pro Day (and Manziel's thus far), I actually think Manziel has a bigger arm and throws the best deep ball. Again, these are controlled environments so I'm just comparing what I've seen strictly in pro days.
But is he putting his whole body into the throw or is it pure arm strength?

No question it looks like he has a more live arm than Bridgewater (wasn't close, ball jumps out of his hand), just isolating out that attribute.

Burmeister told Mayock he thought his arm may even be better than Bortles.

He can drop the ball in the bucket (nice arc and timing), finished with a pass that was about 60 yards in the air.

Warner pointed out a mechanical flaw several times where he drops his elbow and sidearms it at times when he tries to get more velocity.

I was more impressed with his arm strength than I expected to be. It wasn't perfect, he was behind or short on a few passes, but he was generally very accurate and hit his receivers in stride, especially on the intermediate routes.

Wasn't expecting to see former President Bush (senior) and his wife at the work out.

I think he would be a good fit in MIN, putting a running QB next to Peterson, the next-gen Tarkenton.

Jeremiah said he is the most likely to be special (I think he said Manziel was his #2 prospect, not just among QBs, but overall [[?]], if true, that is saying a lot in this stacked class), but also has the most questions, Bortles and Bridgewater have a straighter path to be solid, but in his opinion lack Manziel's upside.

Mayock asked some tough questions after the work out, brought up how he missed progression reads where WRs were wide open, he agreed and said he is coachable and knows he needs to improve in some areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
But is he putting his whole body into the throw or is it pure arm strength?
He's got a whip. Not a rifle, but a whip. Arm strength won't be the problem, if there is one.

ESPN's Ron Jaworski said he was very impressed by Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel's workout.
In fact, Jaworski called it "magnificent" and believes the quarterback's stock will go up after this pro day. Jaworski has been one of Manziel's toughest critics, even saying he would not select the quarterback in the top three rounds of the draft. However, that changed immediately after the workout, as Jaws revealed he would use a top three round pick on Manziel and mentioned he loved that the Aggie wore pads and a helmet while throwing.

Oy. Jaworski has almost zero cred with me. He knows passing, but always is playing for the camera.

Mayock at least sounds like if you asked him about these guys in your living room, he'd give the same answers.

He did what does. He is a gamer.

Like Watkins, I'm hoping he gets to a team that is not starting from scratch. Houston, Minny, St. Louis, AZ would be good spots. I cringe @ Jax and Oak.

ESPN's Ron Jaworski said he was very impressed by Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel's workout.
In fact, Jaworski called it "magnificent" and believes the quarterback's stock will go up after this pro day. Jaworski has been one of Manziel's toughest critics, even saying he would not select the quarterback in the top three rounds of the draft. However, that changed immediately after the workout, as Jaws revealed he would use a top three round pick on Manziel and mentioned he loved that the Aggie wore pads and a helmet while throwing.

Oy. Jaworski has almost zero cred with me. He knows passing, but always is playing for the camera.

Mayock at least sounds like if you asked him about these guys in your living room, he'd give the same answers.
What a dimwit. Surprised he's not part of some concussion lawsuit.

That workout oozed confidence. For those that didn't see it:

Came out in shoulder pads, helmet, long camo shorts. Gave a talk to the NFL people before he started. Hip-hop music playing during workout. Ran full plays, with multiple receivers running patterns.

Very different, very bold, very confident, very not afraid of the process, not afraid to do his own thing. Some people might not like that, but when people think about the mindset they want their QB to have, this is what it looks like. This is the kind of workout Favre might have, if he was 21 years old.

Arm looked really good.

He's small. The athletes huddle up every play, with various water boys and trainers standing around. It looks like 4 athletes in a huddle, with a bunch of little white guys giving them water, but one of the trainers is wearing a helmet for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread