What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (8 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Speaking Thursday, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam admitted the team has no idea whom its 2015 starting quarterback will be.
"We're going to continue to work really hard to find that quarterback who can make us a championship team," Haslam said. Haslam said the team is leaving open the possibility of using its first-round pick on a signal caller, as well as re-signing Brian Hoyer. Asked specifically about Johnny Manziel, Haslam didn't mince words. "Johnny has to show on and off the field that he can be a professional. He knows that." It's rare to see teams throw in the towel on a first-round quarterback after only one year, but Manziel could be a special case. A question mark based on ability alone, Manziel showed staggering immaturity as a rookie.

Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter
Jan 22 - 7:03 PM

Rotoworld take:

Citing nearly 20 Browns sources, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler and Pat McManamon report Johnny Manziel exhibited a "year-long pattern" of lacking commitment and preparation to football and a "continued commitment to nightlife" during his rookie year.

One player called Manziel a "100 percent joke." Team security reportedly found Manziel "drunk off his a--" the morning before the Browns' season finale. He was fined for missing a treatment for his injured hamstring and spent the Week 17 loss to Baltimore in Cleveland's locker room. During his first NFL start, "Several sources said Manziel either didn't know the plays in the huddle or didn't call them correctly." Sources also told Fowler and McManamon that since-departed OC Kyle Shanahan preferred Jimmy Garoppolo and Tom Savage to Manziel as a 2014 draft prospect. Fowler and McManamon claim Manziel still has some "support in the (Browns') building," though it's mostly "on the business side."

Source: ESPN.com
Jan 23 - 3:15 PM

Rotoworld take:

Citing nearly 20 Browns sources, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler and Pat McManamon report Johnny Manziel exhibited a "year-long pattern" of lacking commitment and preparation to football and a "continued commitment to nightlife" during his rookie year.

One player called Manziel a "100 percent joke." Team security reportedly found Manziel "drunk off his a--" the morning before the Browns' season finale. He was fined for missing a treatment for his injured hamstring and spent the Week 17 loss to Baltimore in Cleveland's locker room. During his first NFL start, "Several sources said Manziel either didn't know the plays in the huddle or didn't call them correctly." Sources also told Fowler and McManamon that since-departed OC Kyle Shanahan preferred Jimmy Garoppolo and Tom Savage to Manziel as a 2014 draft prospect. Fowler and McManamon claim Manziel still has some "support in the (Browns') building," though it's mostly "on the business side."

Source: ESPN.com

Jan 23 - 3:15 PM
It is almost a guarantee that Manziel has a serious substance abuse issue. Unless something changes, he will end up like Justin Blackmon.

Jamarcus Russell.
JaMarcus Russell may have been a bust, but his stats in his first year as a starter (77.1 passer rating, good TD/INT ratio) are an indication that he at least had enough talent to stick around for a few years as a backup.

Manziel, on the other hand, looks like a complete and total fraud. He has no idea what to do on an NFL football field.

The least professional party in this Manziel saga is the Browns front office and/or coaching staff. It seems obvious to me from the time they drafted him that their method for managing him was to leak anything negative about him to the public. I'f I'm Manziel I'm not only beyond upset but I can't go to work trusting anyone in that orginzation. I mean 20 something people speaking off the record, that's gross mismanagement and if I was a Browns fan would give me more pause over the direction of this franchise than Manziel.

Personally I think it's foolish to say he's worse than Jamarcus Russell or to suggest cutting him after he's played a whopping 6 quarters. If they wanted to trade him they probalby would not get much and some of that has to do with them going out of their way to float negative story's to the media. But they would find a buyer for sure and that buyer would inherit his guaranteed contract. If they cut him he'd never pass through waivers but if he did it would be a major win for him because he'd get his fully guaranteed pay from the Browns while reaching UFA. Even if he had to take meager pay for a year or two in hopes of re-establishing his value it would be a win. I believe this is a big part of the reason they choose to manage him with negative media leaks.

Now I will say he looked like a train wreck this year and he might be terrible his entire career, but I'm not ready to say that after 6 quarters. The last time I can recall a first round draft pick having such a horrible debut was John Elway and that turned out alright, not saying he's Elways but just saying you can't give up on a player and 1.5 games-not after you used a first round pick on them.

The least professional party in this Manziel saga is the Browns front office and/or coaching staff. It seems obvious to me from the time they drafted him that their method for managing him was to leak anything negative about him to the public. I'f I'm Manziel I'm not only beyond upset but I can't go to work trusting anyone in that orginzation. I mean 20 something people speaking off the record, that's gross mismanagement and if I was a Browns fan would give me more pause over the direction of this franchise than Manziel.

Personally I think it's foolish to say he's worse than Jamarcus Russell or to suggest cutting him after he's played a whopping 6 quarters. If they wanted to trade him they probalby would not get much and some of that has to do with them going out of their way to float negative story's to the media. But they would find a buyer for sure and that buyer would inherit his guaranteed contract. If they cut him he'd never pass through waivers but if he did it would be a major win for him because he'd get his fully guaranteed pay from the Browns while reaching UFA. Even if he had to take meager pay for a year or two in hopes of re-establishing his value it would be a win. I believe this is a big part of the reason they choose to manage him with negative media leaks.

Now I will say he looked like a train wreck this year and he might be terrible his entire career, but I'm not ready to say that after 6 quarters. The last time I can recall a first round draft pick having such a horrible debut was John Elway and that turned out alright, not saying he's Elways but just saying you can't give up on a player and 1.5 games-not after you used a first round pick on them.
I am going to put most of this back on Show me the $$$. We have no idea how much the Browns may have been able to contain.

I'm sorry but he's untradable. Like the Tebow issue. Not good enough to contribute, circus like attention, some fans will love having him others will be furious.

I'm sorry but he's untradable. Like the Tebow issue. Not good enough to contribute, circus like attention, some fans will love having him others will be furious.
You read that whole article? Even with that article designed as a Manziel takedown he drew some postive remarks from "NFL Insiders". That combined with this low pay makes him absolutely tradeable.

They should trade him for anything they can get. With his partying ways, it won't be long till he fails a drug test.

You read that whole article? Even with that article designed as a Manziel takedown he drew some postive remarks from "NFL Insiders". That combined with this low pay makes him absolutely tradeable.
I'm guessing it's "nfl insiders" who were high on him out of college and are slow to change their minds. If he didn't have the off field issues maybe he'd get a 5th, but the risk of a negative impact on a team is too high to give up anything. Maybe someone will take a chance if/when he gets cut like Tebow but doubt any team would trade anything for him.

I'm guessing it's "nfl insiders" who were high on him out of college and are slow to change their minds. If he didn't have the off field issues maybe he'd get a 5th, but the risk of a negative impact on a team is too high to give up anything. Maybe someone will take a chance if/when he gets cut like Tebow but doubt any team would trade anything for him.
This incoming QB class blows.

14 QB's made more than $15 million a season and 17 made more than $11 million. Manziel is due about $2 million a season, about Bruce Gradwoski/Shaun Hill money. Basically the going rate for a low grade backup QB.

Granted he did not have off the field issues in but Blaine Gabbert sucked for a lot longer than 1.5 games, makes more than Manziel, and he got a 7th rounder in return.

Can't convince me after 6 quarters of admittedly terrrible football this guy is with this contract is not tradeable.

14 QB's made more than $15 million a season and 17 made more than $11 million. Manziel is due about $2 million a season, about Bruce Gradwoski/Shaun Hill money. Basically the going rate for a low grade backup QB.

Granted he did not have off the field issues in but Blaine Gabbert sucked for a lot longer than 1.5 games, makes more than Manziel, and he got a 7th rounder in return.

Can't convince me after 6 quarters of admittedly terrrible football this guy is with this contract is not tradeable.
Problem is that teams want a backup qb who's willing to help with film study, prep for the game and who generally gives a crap.

Problem is that teams want a backup qb who's willing to help with film study, prep for the game and who generally gives a crap.
True, usually with a project QB the reasoning is that the guy will put in the work to diminish the holes in his game. That isn't happening. Browns would be better off with Tebow, at least he's a high character guy and they can sponge off the money he draws.

They also like to roster and develop a player with upside to be more than a serviceable backup and I still think plenty of people in the NFL still believe he has that upside.

They also like to roster and develop a player with upside to be more than a serviceable backup and I still think plenty of people in the NFL still believe he has that upside.
We'll have to agree to disagree on his upside.

Gordon & Manziel are best buds, they took a ski trip to Aspen together. That's just great, that's just what a franchise player on the brink (Gordo) needed. Brilliant idea bringing them together.

Gordon & Manziel are best buds, they took a ski trip to Aspen together. That's just great, that's just what a franchise player on the brink (Gordo) needed. Brilliant idea bringing them together.
Dear god no, he took him on a ski trip!?!!?! We all know what goes on in Aspen. I would never let my loved one's visit that place!

What an awful thing to do! Inexcusable. No doubt, as you imply, Manziel is partly totally to blame for Gordon's issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell ya where. Some place warm. A place where the beer flows like wine and beautiful women instinctively flock that salmon of capastrano! I'm talking about a place called Aspen!

Dear god no, he took him on a ski trip!?!!?! We all know what goes on in Aspen. I would never let my loved one's visit that place!

What an awful thing to do! Inexcusable. No doubt, as you imply, Manziel is partly totally to blame for Gordon's issues.
Well there's really only two things to do in Aspen: ski and party.

I know, and I always hold it against people when they want to have fun on their off time. Especially when they think it is OK to invite others to have fun with them.. really where does it end?

Last edited by a moderator:

I know, and I always hold it against people when they want to have fun on their off time. Especially when they think it is OK to invite others to have fun with them.. really where does it end?
I wish I could quit you.

Aspen isn't your typical cocaine market.

Drug smugglers there work past retirement age and live in million-dollar homes; a gram of cocaine is nearly pure but will cost you double; and there is apparently no pressing need to carry weapons.

The town of 6,000 is so tightknit that when federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents began investigating a drug ring a year ago, they purposely didn't contact then-Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis or his successor, Sheriff Joe DiSalvo.

On Friday, federal authorities announced that a grand jury indicted six people from Aspen and four from Los Angeles in connection with a drug operation that funneled 200 kilograms of cocaine into Aspen over 15 years. Nine of the 10 have been arrested, and one Los Angeles resident remains at large.

"I was astonished at the amount of cocaine that was moving through there," DEA Acting Agent in Charge Steve Merrill said Friday.

DEA agents this week arrested five of the six Aspenites in town, the other Aspen resident in Dallas and three of the four Los Angeles suspe

Mat - I'm laughing at the above exchange but let me say 1. I love Aspen, and 2. It's an alcoholic & a guy hanging on to his career by a thread & a test tube. This ain't Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathau here!!!

Looks like there's video

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0LEViM7WshUABcAtXUnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N25ndmVnBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwNF8x?p=dumb+and+dumber+aspen&tnr=21&vid=5A99DF514A53D6DBD81D5A99DF514A53D6DBD81D&l=51&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608033370872875869%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11rjnvc8h&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2qnv8uo8RcY&sigr=11bvjq51l&tt=b&###=Dumb+and+Dumber+Aspen+Scene&sigt=10runb0pl&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Ddumb%2Band%2Bdumber%2Baspen%26ei%3DUTF-8%26hsimp%3Dyhs-001%26hspart%3Dmozilla&sigb=131hgs570&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Drug smugglers there work past retirement age and live in million-dollar homes; a gram of cocaine is nearly pure but will cost you double; and there is apparently no pressing need to carry weapons.

The town of 6,000 is so tightknit that when federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents began investigating a drug ring a year ago, they purposely didn't contact then-Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis or his successor, Sheriff Joe DiSalvo.

On Friday, federal authorities announced that a grand jury indicted six people from Aspen and four from Los Angeles in connection with a drug operation that funneled 200 kilograms of cocaine into Aspen over 15 years. Nine of the 10 have been arrested, and one Los Angeles resident remains at large.

"I was astonished at the amount of cocaine that was moving through there," DEA Acting Agent in Charge Steve Merrill said Friday.

DEA agents this week arrested five of the six Aspenites in town, the other Aspen resident in Dallas and three of the four Los Angeles suspe
Seriously.

On my annual trips to this place I can't help myself. One time I tripped and noticed the ground was covered in white stuff.

What's your point?

What's your point?
I think it's pretty clear that Manziel is the 10th member that remains at large.

Users who are viewing this thread