What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

Manziel clearly has a TON of warts / red flags / issues / call them what you will. But suggesting he doesn't have the arm and athleticism to even belong in the NFL pretty much does prove that you just have an axe to grind, guy.
He clearly showed it given his opportunities last year.
Believe me, I sat in the pub and laughed at every play while he piled up DST point after point to the profit of my FF teams for a couple weeks, but... he was hung over, unprepared, addicted, a dbag whom his teammates hated, and unconditioned, even his coaches likely wanted him to fail. We saw him at his worst. If he puts in the time, gains the respect of his teammates, learns the playbook, gets conditioned... I'm just saying let's see him at his best. The preseason will tell the tale.
I bet Josh Gordon loved him. "Party on duuuude!"

^ did you see any of the games he was in last year?

Kid cannot throw. Kid certainly cannot run and the kid looks like an 8th grader on the field.
Did you watch him in college at all? Look, he started two games last year and played a little in two more. He sucked. But so do a lot of rookies in their first few games. Plus, he clearly wasn't ready at all to be a professional -- he checked himself into freakin rehab after the season.

I'm not a Manziel fan at all. I hate the Browns, and laughed at them for picking him. I think he's pretty likely to end up busting for a number of reasons.

But again, "lacks the physical talent to be even a marginal QB" is just wrong.
He has always looked like an 8th grader or playground QB/ That's his style and was young Favre's style too. Doesn't really matter if it works.

He was a college sensation. That gets you a shot in the NFL, always.

I get why people didn't like he or Tebow and all the major press they got for a different style of play and what some construed as arrogance versus confidence and all that. I don't understand the hatred continuing after either have eaten as much crow as they have.

Tebow went through an unemployed season and worked with a QB coach to improve his game. Manziel went to rehab and even sounds different like he really took a beating to his arrogance.

AFTER what they've been through, to me, people seem mean to still beat on the guys.

I live in Oklahoma-if you QBd the opposing team you're an enemy, if you steal the press you're the enemy...those two had plenty of haters here while Bradford still got love. I haven't heard bashing of these two in a long while. It was fun and even comical sometimes when you do that toward a rival. I get all that.

Now it just seems mean and I feel like there's only a handful still doing it. The landscape changed. Ya gotta adjust your hatred.

Tebow is a long time removed from Florida. Now he's just a good boy that has worked hard. The bashers look like bullies now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kid cannot throw. Kid certainly cannot run and the kid looks like an 8th grader on the field.
Did you watch him in college at all? Look, he started two games last year and played a little in two more. He sucked. But so do a lot of rookies in their first few games. Plus, he clearly wasn't ready at all to be a professional -- he checked himself into freakin rehab after the season.

I'm not a Manziel fan at all. I hate the Browns, and laughed at them for picking him. I think he's pretty likely to end up busting for a number of reasons.

Based on last year he is not even a backup qb in this league....what did you see that was different? He is a complete bust for a first round pick...His value is around a 5th at best????

What are the odds of him starting week 1? He is much more talented than McCown. Manziel offers the Browns a long term solution if he gets his act together. McCown is a very poor stop gap.

I know Pettine has said McCown has the lead, but l would venture to guess that the lead is not very big. Pettine has to keep Manziel as QB2 for the time being because of the nightmare of a rookie season. Sometimes things happen and people don't want to believe them to be true. Manziel has had a great off season so far. He sought out help to become a better person and in turn it should lead to him being a better QB.

This is going to be an interesting story line in camp.
Sweet Jesus we have come full circle again.
In what sense? Manziel was awful as a rookie. He was immature and looked out of place. I get there is some hate for the way he carried himself and how he thought things would come easy to him even in the NFL. He only appeared in 3 games and struggled mightily as he was no where near ready to be a competent NFL qb last year.

This however is a new year. The Browns have not replaced Manziel. They still have a stop gap veteran in front of him. There is an opportunity for Manziel to become the starter in Cleveland at this point. Whether he grasps that opportunity is up for debate, but to think this is over is being naive.
In the sense that people ie. you, are still trying to hype up this kids talent. Forget his off the field stuff, he simply doesnt have the size, speed or arm to be even a marginal NFL qb. Add in the off the field stuff and he is a disaster, a complete bust. This thread has now come full circle. Go read some of the earlier posts and you will see what I mean. People are still expecting him to beat out everyone and become the starter, just like one year ago. When the fact his he is not "much more talented" as McCown as you said.
His size is on par with Russell Wilson or Drew Brees, his arm strength was the best in the 2014 QB class and I'd say is better than half the league and he's got 4.68 wheels. How many starting QB's in the league are faster than that? Less than 5?

Other than that, great point.

If you want to question is head, accuracy, or something else - then go ahead. But make a coherent point without including the stuff you obviously know nothing about.
did you watch him play? And you thinking he had the best arm in that class is completely laughable and takes away any creditability you think you have.

Manziel clearly has a TON of warts / red flags / issues / call them what you will. But suggesting he doesn't have the arm and athleticism to even belong in the NFL pretty much does prove that you just have an axe to grind, guy.
Believe me, I sat in the pub and laughed at every play while he piled up DST point after point to the profit of my FF teams for a couple weeks, but... he was hung over, unprepared, addicted, a dbag whom his teammates hated, and unconditioned, even his coaches likely wanted him to fail. We saw him at his worst. If he puts in the time, gains the respect of his teammates, learns the playbook, gets conditioned... I'm just saying let's see him at his best. The preseason will tell the tale.
I bet Josh Gordon loved him. "Party on duuuude!"
Yeah that was a real match made in heaven hell.

Given those two opportunities against playoff caliber talent. You sound stupid dude.
you realize that most divisions and play off spots are decided by a game or so right. also, you realize he will have to play against playoff teams ever year, he does not just get to play bad teams.

Did you watch him in college at all? Look, he started two games last year and played a little in two more. He sucked. But so do a lot of rookies in their first few games. Plus, he clearly wasn't ready at all to be a professional -- he checked himself into freakin rehab after the season.I'm not a Manziel fan at all. I hate the Browns, and laughed at them for picking him. I think he's pretty likely to end up busting for a number of reasons.

Based on last year he is not even a backup qb in this league....what did you see that was different? He is a complete bust for a first round pick...His value is around a 5th at best????
We passing final judgement on the guy after a whopping 35 pass attempts? There is a pretty long list of good NFL QBs who were as bad as Manziel 35 passes into their careers.

Eli should have been cut after his rookie year too following this logic.

The Ravens taunted and teased him so bad, there's articles on the subject that are pretty funny. A DL laughing so hard he stood up before the snap and was flagged for offsides.

As Peyton set the NFL world on fire with 4,5,6 TD games, Eli almost matched him with as many INTs.

Kurt Warner-who lost his job to this guy- and Tom Coughlin were extremely supportive at a time when everyone beat on him. The OL has had a few articles about them picking him up and dusting him off.

For everything terrible about Manziel's rookie season-lately I've been like hmmm some of you do still support the guy hmmm

It'll be interesting to see.

What are the odds of him starting week 1? He is much more talented than McCown. Manziel offers the Browns a long term solution if he gets his act together. McCown is a very poor stop gap.

I know Pettine has said McCown has the lead, but l would venture to guess that the lead is not very big. Pettine has to keep Manziel as QB2 for the time being because of the nightmare of a rookie season. Sometimes things happen and people don't want to believe them to be true. Manziel has had a great off season so far. He sought out help to become a better person and in turn it should lead to him being a better QB.

In what sense? Manziel was awful as a rookie. He was immature and looked out of place. I get there is some hate for the way he carried himself and how he thought things would come easy to him even in the NFL. He only appeared in 3 games and struggled mightily as he was no where near ready to be a competent NFL qb last year.This however is a new year. The Browns have not replaced Manziel. They still have a stop gap veteran in front of him. There is an opportunity for Manziel to become the starter in Cleveland at this point. Whether he grasps that opportunity is up for debate, but to think this is over is being naive.
In the sense that people ie. you, are still trying to hype up this kids talent. Forget his off the field stuff, he simply doesnt have the size, speed or arm to be even a marginal NFL qb. Add in the off the field stuff and he is a disaster, a complete bust. This thread has now come full circle. Go read some of the earlier posts and you will see what I mean. People are still expecting him to beat out everyone and become the starter, just like one year ago. When the fact his he is not "much more talented" as McCown as you said.
His size is on par with Russell Wilson or Drew Brees, his arm strength was the best in the 2014 QB class and I'd say is better than half the league and he's got 4.68 wheels. How many starting QB's in the league are faster than that? Less than 5?

If you want to question is head, accuracy, or something else - then go ahead. But make a coherent point without including the stuff you obviously know nothing about.
did you watch him play? And you thinking he had the best arm in that class is completely laughable and takes away any creditability you think you have.
Read some of the analysis on his pro day passing workout and get back to me. He has as much natural arm talent as any QB in last year's class. If he busts, which I think he probably will BTW, it'll be because of what's above his shoulders, not what's underneath them.

The Ravens taunted and teased him so bad, there's articles on the subject that are pretty funny. A DL laughing so hard he stood up before the snap and was flagged for offsides.

As Peyton set the NFL world on fire with 4,5,6 TD games, Eli almost matched him with as many INTs.

Kurt Warner-who lost his job to this guy- and Tom Coughlin were extremely supportive at a time when everyone beat on him. The OL has had a few articles about them picking him up and dusting him off.

For everything terrible about Manziel's rookie season-lately I've been like hmmm some of you do still support the guy hmmm

Ya but Eli actually had/has NFL talent. This guy does not. Not sure how you compare the two although it sounds like you think he can play at Eli's level?

Did you watch him in college at all? Look, he started two games last year and played a little in two more. He sucked. But so do a lot of rookies in their first few games. Plus, he clearly wasn't ready at all to be a professional -- he checked himself into freakin rehab after the season.I'm not a Manziel fan at all. I hate the Browns, and laughed at them for picking him. I think he's pretty likely to end up busting for a number of reasons.

Eli should have been cut after his rookie year too following this logic.The Ravens taunted and teased him so bad, there's articles on the subject that are pretty funny. A DL laughing so hard he stood up before the snap and was flagged for offsides.

Ya but Eli actually had/has NFL talent. This guy does not. Not sure how you compare the two although it sounds like you think he can play at Eli's level?
Pretty sure that all anyone is suggesting is that it's too early to make a definitive call either way on Manziel. Or anyone after a mere 35 pass attempts for that matter.

Given those two opportunities against playoff caliber talent. You sound stupid dude.
you realize that most divisions and play off spots are decided by a game or so right. also, you realize he will have to play against playoff teams ever year, he does not just get to play bad teams.
You realize he was thrown to the wolves in his first two games against playoff caliber talent, right? This isn't talking about a career, or even entire season, but a two game sample size against playoff talent? He didn't even get a chance to play a bad team.

In what sense? Manziel was awful as a rookie. He was immature and looked out of place. I get there is some hate for the way he carried himself and how he thought things would come easy to him even in the NFL. He only appeared in 3 games and struggled mightily as he was no where near ready to be a competent NFL qb last year.This however is a new year. The Browns have not replaced Manziel. They still have a stop gap veteran in front of him. There is an opportunity for Manziel to become the starter in Cleveland at this point. Whether he grasps that opportunity is up for debate, but to think this is over is being naive.

Read some of the analysis on his pro day passing workout and get back to me. He has as much natural arm talent as any QB in last year's class. If he busts, which I think he probably will BTW, it'll be because of what's above his shoulders, not what's underneath them.
I think asking this guy to read is way too much for him.

So I provide a reasoning for comparison and your reply is "not sure how you compare the two"

There's so many high school kids littering the board today

So I provide a reasoning for comparison and your reply is "not sure how you compare the two"

There's so many high school kids littering the board today
You need to insert the word "dropouts" somewhere in that last sentence.

sure thing i-tough guy. There are very mixed reports about him. Most are either boom or bust. Watching him play gives me everything i need to know. He throws ducks and does not have a clue. Couple that with his off field problems and he is looking at a very short tenure in the league. Do you think he is worth a first round pick?

sure thing i-tough guy. There are very mixed reports about him. Most are either boom or bust. Watching him play gives me everything i need to know. He throws ducks and does not have a clue. Couple that with his off field problems and he is looking at a very short tenure in the league. Do you think he is worth a first round pick?
You continue to miss the point entirely. 35. NFL. Pass. Attempts. Isn't. Enough. To. Say. For. Sure. That. He. Sucks.

could I take a page from the wells report and say he probably and most likely sux?
He's probably too much of a spoiled immature doosh to put in the work necessary to succeed at the NFL level and lead a professional team IMO.

Flat out saying he doesn't have NFL-level physical tools is dumb, though. As is calling his career done based on 35 pass attempts.

Don't really know where the arm strength this is coming from, but Carr and Savage have stronger arms, for sure.

His arm talent is below average. Can he chuck it 70 yards? Maybe. But he can't throw the 15 yard out. I'm a Raiders fan, if I thought Manziel had a better arm than Carr, I might cry myself to sleep.

He can throw it 40 yard into a crowd, and Mike Evans can save his bacon by tearing it away from cornerbacks, and all the hillbillys can yell, "Johnny Football is magic!!!" In retrospect, people should have given Evans more credit for Johnny's magic.

He doesn't look anything like an NFL player. Wilson and Brees do. Johnny looks like a high school kid that stole a uniform.

His physical tools, for an NFL QB, are probably in the 15-20th percentile. Maybe less.

I haven't seen him make an NFL throw in the NFL yet.

I have my doubts that JF is going to make it in the NFL. However, we did only see a small sample size.

The excuses need to stop though. He was not thrown to the wolves. He played in games near the end of the season. It's not like he started and struggled in week 1. He had many months of practice in the NFL to perform better than he did.

Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo has spent only a short time with Johnny Manziel, but so far, he likes what he's seen.

"Johnny's been great,'' DeFilippo said after the second rookie camp practice Saturday, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "He's been fantastic. What he wants to talk about, before he stepped foot back in this building is his business. All I know is Johnny the football player, and he's been awesome. He's been working hard, very hard with myself and (quarterbacks coach Kevin O'Connell), and doing what we want him to do on the field."

Manziel was discharged from inpatient rehab April 11 after 10 weeks, and all indications are that he's been making positive changes to his life off the field.

"All I know is this: from the moment he stepped in this building from the last two weeks, he's been nothing but a consummate professional,'' DeFilippo said. "He's spent every hour that he's been allowed to spend in this building. We give them worksheets every Tuesday and every Friday, and they're done to the unbelievable detail that we need an NFL quarterback to do. From that standpoint, like I said I can't predict the future, but all I can do is tell you right now Johnny Manziel is putting himself in a position to be a quarterback in the NFL."

DeFilippo, who found success with quarterback Terrelle Pryor in Oakland, stressed that he won't make any drastic changes to Manziel's playing style.

"I'm the last guy - the last guy - that's going to take Johnny Manziel's athleticism away from him, " DeFilippo said. "I will not do that. I refuse to do that. Okay? And I told Terrelle Pryor the same thing. 'That's part of your game. Now, we need to refine the other part to make you the complete quarterback.'''

Article by Clifford Holroyd

^ that seems oddly familiar

"Johnny and Robert are very similar," Shanahan told USA TODAY Sports. "They're both talented guys who can make plays with their legs. But there comes a time in the NFL when they're going to keep you in the pocket, and you're going to have to have that ability to make the throws with your arm and mind.

"And Johnny, just like Robert, has that arm talent and intelligence to do that."

Manziel has been everything Shanahan had hoped.

"Perception becomes everyone's reality, but Johnny has been here working his tail off day and night, doing everything we ask," Shanahan said. "He's really attacked it every day, done a good job even as each week gets harder as we throw a lot more at him.

"I've been very impressed."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/05/30/johnny-manziel-brian-hoyer-kyle-shanahan-robert-griffin-iii/9778181/

Rotoworld:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot doesn't think Johnny Manziel has "much of a chance" to start Week 1.

This is speculation, not reporting from Cabot's sources within the Browns. It's also what the Browns probably want everyone to think as they take pressure off Manziel and let him focus on football. While Josh McCown is the odds-on favorite to start Week 1, Manziel has the far higher ceiling and the Browns need to find out if he can recover from the rookie-year disaster. Expect JFF to make starts this season, even if they don't come in September.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
May 11 - 9:56 AM

^ that seems oddly familiar

"Johnny and Robert are very similar," Shanahan told USA TODAY Sports. "They're both talented guys who can make plays with their legs. But there comes a time in the NFL when they're going to keep you in the pocket, and you're going to have to have that ability to make the throws with your arm and mind.

"And Johnny, just like Robert, has that arm talent and intelligence to do that."

Manziel has been everything Shanahan had hoped.

"Perception becomes everyone's reality, but Johnny has been here working his tail off day and night, doing everything we ask," Shanahan said. "He's really attacked it every day, done a good job even as each week gets harder as we throw a lot more at him.

"I've been very impressed."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/05/30/johnny-manziel-brian-hoyer-kyle-shanahan-robert-griffin-iii/9778181/
This wrecked RG3's game (some blame to injury) and is an old old adage that isn't really true. Old Flutie ran around plenty as did Young and Elway.

Old Randall was probably the most grossly adjusted player.

Just let the guy do his thing.

If you need to draft linemen with better feet, do it.

ghostguy123 said:
Faust said:
Well, yeah. Seems obvious to me that if he shows even the slightest glimmer, he should start.

All the other options are guaranteed to suck, so what is the worst that could happen? They lose the games they were gonna lose anyway?
i understand your reasoning, but the coach, GM, and the rest of the team believes they can win now. Manziel will have to clearly outplay McCown in order to see the field.

Here is my guess to when Manziel will start....

Cleveland has some favorable matchups to start the season. They play a road game vs the Jets who had a massive amount of changes to their team. That is probably a 50/50 game. They then are at home to play the lowly Titans and Raiders. This first month of the season will be interesting.

The scenarios will be as follows.

-Start 0 and 3 with that favorable schedule and you have to start Manziel in week 4.

-A 1 and 2 start and 'poor' QB play may start to think about making the change but probably will give McCown another week.

-A 1 and 2 start with 'average' play from McCown will for sure buy him another game in week 4.

-Start 2 and 1 or 3 and 0 and it will for sure buy McCown time for sure.

The make or break point for the Browns and for McCown:

-In weeks 4, 5 and 6 you have SD, Bal, and Denver. A rough patch there and you will see Manziel in week 7 vs the Rams.

My guess is week 7 Manziel will be under center.

I don't think Pettine is going to be super worried about "developing" Manziel. Given Haslem's impatience with coaches, he probably just plays the best guy and tries to win and keep his job.

I don't think Pettine is going to be super worried about "developing" Manziel. Given Haslem's impatience with coaches, he probably just plays the best guy and tries to win and keep his job.
Good point.

Although Pettine could possibly buy more time if Manziel starts to show improvement and look like a starting NFL qb. He could use the I am developing our qb for the future ala Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr and we will start winning more games as he gets better.

Good point.

Although Pettine could possibly buy more time if Manziel starts to show improvement and look like a starting NFL qb. He could use the I am developing our qb for the future ala Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr and we will start winning more games as he gets better.
The Browns won some last year. I don't think this unit is afforded a 4 win season of forgiveness. I would guess they want playoffs or at least playoff race in December

Good point.Although Pettine could possibly buy more time if Manziel starts to show improvement and look like a starting NFL qb. He could use the I am developing our qb for the future ala Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr and we will start winning more games as he gets better.
The Browns won some last year. I don't think this unit is afforded a 4 win season of forgiveness. I would guess they want playoffs or at least playoff race in December
Agreed. Pettine needs to make the playoffs, or be very close, or he's likely gone. Not saying it's a smart way to run things, but that's evidently how Haslem's gonna roll.

Rotoworld:

A league source told Yahoo Sports that Browns coach Mike Pettine "was ready to move on" from Johnny Manziel when Manziel checked himself into rehab following an abysmal rookie season.

A separate league source told Yahoo's Charles Robinson that owner Jimmy Haslam, GM Ray Farmer, and new OC John DeFilippo "still believe Manziel can be salvaged." Despite his head coach's skepticism, there is still enough support inside the Browns' building that Manziel will get a long look in his second NFL training camp. His lone real obstacle to be Cleveland's starter is Josh McCown, who turns 36 in July and and committed 18 turnovers in 11 starts last year.

Source: Yahoo Sports
May 15 - 11:30 AM

If you do a google news search of Manziel it's pretty interesting. With all the results presented geesh he's still polarizing. Going solely from headlines(which match comments here) Johnny football went from "cut, trade, dumped" to possible starter in about two weeks.

That's really amazing.He must look real good

Anyone comes within 10 miles of saying something positive.. or even neutral about JFF - panther has an anxiety attack.

Coaches had written him off before camp and are now singing praises. I didn't think it was possible but he might be the week 1 starter. That being said, I don't think he stays healthy even if he is able to perform. That happy feet thing he does will get him killed in the NFL.

This storyline is going to be interesting. Has Manziel really changed his ways that much? And if he has then he will easily be starting in place of Mccown before too long.

Let's say he changes his life, no drugs, partying etc. Fully devoted himself to football and his spare time is taken up with helping kids who have cancer or something else humanitarian.

He's still an undersized scrambler who made his mark in college on broken plays and chucking it to Evans. I doubt his talent to be a competent NFL QB more than his ability to stay clean.

Users who are viewing this thread