What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (7 Viewers)

He used his feet very well, somewhat wise. Buying time, forcing the D to cover for far too long.

It's very hard to defense.

Everyone is going to say the DEs gotta be disciplined and not let him get past them but he is a playground QB getting out of the pocket. Easier said than done.

He had to play maybe 2 quarters today and hand it off for the other 2, but he was very calm too. I didn't expect that either.

He may have to win some games, sure but as long as the D only needs 14-20ish points his job is pretty simple and he can probably do it. Very low pressure low stress, nice spot for him.

I don't know how he'll do if he's gotta put up 35 (which would mean colossal failure by a top secondary) but these easy games will give him confidence til then.

All the critics can harp on things-maybe some junk like take away the two bombs and what did he do? But this is another step and he is about following the script perfectly since last year. Ways to go to be studly or even a franchise QB, but yet another step. Kudos to him.

The kid does well this thread is a ghost town.

Next game he struggles, guaranteed 4 more pages of haterade.
i didn't get to watch the game, but by all accounts he did well. and they got the win. looking forward to actually watching him do it again.

still have concerns about his playing style and how long it can be viable.

i didn't get to watch the game, but by all accounts he did well. and they got the win.looking forward to actually watching him do it again.

His playing style so far has been different then I expected. He is getting outside the pocket and throwing down field as opposed to scrambling. That is a positive.

i didn't get to watch the game, but by all accounts he did well. and they got the win.looking forward to actually watching him do it again.

His playing style so far has been different then I expected. He is getting outside the pocket and throwing down field as opposed to scrambling. That is a positive.
Deiken and Donovan both said the same thing on the radio broadcast today which makes me hopeful that he's starting to get it.

i didn't get to watch the game, but by all accounts he did well. and they got the win. looking forward to actually watching him do it again.

he fumbled two more times, but the browns got them this time.

It was a very conservative game plan for Cleveland after getting the big lead early. Johnny only had 17 attempts and I think 3 of them were throw aways. He had a 133.9 QB rating.

Manziel was not asked to do a ton but definitely made a couple of great throws. Tough for anyone to question his arm strength at this stage as he has more than enough to make all throws especially those big ones down the field to keep a D honest.

All around Manziel had a very good game and will only get more comfortable with playing time. There is no way McCown makes that 2nd TD throw on the roll out that Johnny did.

Even the haters will have to admit that Johnny has made some huge strides from last year to this year. There is still plenty of room to grow but at least it looks as though he has a shot and the upside still remains high. He stepped in and won the home opener and will gain support from his team-mates as he already had this off season.

Keep in mind Manziel is a first rounder and is 22 years of age who has started a grand total of 3 games. The fact Merril Hoge or anyone else was writing him off so quickly was not only ridiculous but just plain dumb. There is a lot left to be written but he looks much improved.

I think it would be dumb to not see what they have in Manziel now.
Didn't we just see? Are you implying that he's going to do great things NEXT game? How do you envision this working?

So far, he hasn't shown anything to prove he's better than back-up material. This "see what they have" stuff has been tried 5-6 times already.

Didn't we just see? Are you implying that he's going to do great things NEXT game? How do you envision this working?

So far, he hasn't shown anything to prove he's better than back-up material. This "see what they have" stuff has been tried 5-6 times already.
Yeah, but you KNOW McCown isn't the long term answer. Manziel, ehhh...

If they go back to McCown, then you're still sitting on a "probably not, but maybe" in Manziel a year from now. I personally wouldn't have invested a 1st rounder in the guy, but that horse already left the barn. Might as well see what Maziel can do with all of the practice reps and game snaps IMO, and if he can't hack it move on next offseason.

If they go back to McCown, then you're still sitting on a "probably not, but maybe" in Manziel a year from now. I personally wouldn't have invested a 1st rounder in the guy, but that horse already left the barn. Might as well see what Maziel can do with all of the practice reps and game snaps IMO, and if he can't hack it move on next offseason.
here's the problem

Manziel could be worse than McCown. McCown has had some success in this league, at least once.

I do not think this coach or GM feel safe enough to think long term. A bad season and they might just get canned. So they have to try and win the most games possible now. If McCown gives them that chance they have to start him rather than role the dice it Manziel to see if he is their man of the future. They are not sure they have a future.

that's my 2 cents anyway. You may be right from a removed point of view that seeing what Manziel is is the correct long term play, but if johnny is awful then determining he is not their future QB cold lead to determining that the coach is not their future coach

Hasn't he only started like 3 games? This team is going no where with either quarterback, but Manziel should be the starter. In my opinion Manziel has less than a 5 percent chance to be the long term answer for the Browns as the starting qb, but McCown has a 0 percent chance.

Coaches and Gm's dont want to get fired trotting out a qb like Johnny to try and win games. They know he stinks so whats the point?

Coaches and Gm's dont want to get fired trotting out a qb like Johnny to try and win games. They know he stinks so whats the point?
Well he just won a game. Also you could say the same thing about McCown.

here's the problem

Manziel could be worse than McCown. McCown has had some success in this league, at least once.

I do not think this coach or GM feel safe enough to think long term. A bad season and they might just get canned. So they have to try and win the most games possible now. If McCown gives them that chance they have to start him rather than role the dice it Manziel to see if he is their man of the future. They are not sure they have a future.

that's my 2 cents anyway. You may be right from a removed point of view that seeing what Manziel is is the correct long term play, but if johnny is awful then determining he is not their future QB cold lead to determining that the coach is not their future coach
Agreed -- and that's been a huge part of the problem in Cleveland. They're NEVER going to get anywhere with a continual revolving door at the top. Unless they start giving their coaches a reasonable window to try to turn things around long term, it'll continue to be a mess.

And really, is a 6-7 win season with McCown more likely to keep folks around than a 4-5 win season if Manziel implodes?

Last edited by a moderator:

here's the problem

Agreed -- and that's been a huge part of the problem in Cleveland. They're NEVER going to get anywhere with a continual revolving door at the top. Unless they start giving their coaches a reasonable window to try to turn things around long term, it'll continue to be a mess.

And really, is a 6-7 win season with McCown more likely to keep folks around than a 4-5 win season if Manziel implodes?
i do not know

but i can see how a coach who thinks his job is on the line would rather the safer play than the riskier one

I don't follow. So far this year one start and 1 win for Manziel who had a great qb rating and made a couple of highlight reel throws in only his 3rd start of his young career. To say he stinks at this stage is short sighted and dumb.

You or I have no idea if Manziel is going to end up stinking long term, but if I was the Browns franchise it would seem the smart play would let Manziel play and even play through some mistakes to know for sure or not what you have in him. Because truthfully you can only tell what you have when you actually start playing these guys on Sundays.

McCown is not a long term answer and he has 0 upside long term and I am not even convinced he gives you a better chance at winning games even this year.

I get the coaches and Browns were hesitant with Manziel based on that debacle of a rookie year, but he has grown leaps and bounds as evident by the word out of the locker room and what we saw in that first start.

here's the problem

i do not know

but i can see how a coach who thinks his job is on the line would rather the safer play than the riskier one
There isn't a safer play and if you are going to get fired for winning 4 or 5 games you are most likely going to get fired for winning 6 or 7

Users who are viewing this thread