What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

BobbyLayne said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Not that I care but someone was going to post this eventually.

----------

http://bustedcoverage.com/2015/11/08/fun-johnny-manziel-returns-during-am-trip/

Updated: 13 hours ago

2Fun Johnny Manziel Returns During A&M Trip

Same old. Disappointing, on a personal level.
What disappoints you about this?
Alcoholic with a lot on the line throwing it away again. It's not football, I know, but then again maybe it is.
Exactly what sort of behavior do you expect from an addict?

Alkies, gamblers & junkies relapse and disappoint. It's what they do. It. Does. Not. End

:shrug:

Not judging him, not condemning him, not saying he's an immature or lacks self-control. He may not be any of those things. He's got a disease, he's out of control. He will #### his life up, & take people down with him.

That's what alkies/gamblers/junkies do. It is an endless cycle.

If you have an alcoholic, gambler or junkie on your life, get away. Don't get sucked into their vortex. Or choose to love them or support them unconditionally. Just don't act surprised or disappointed when the cycle starts up again.

WGAF about a celebrity or athlete? It has no effect on my life. Is it sad & pitiful & senseless? Yup.

Johnny Manziel is an alcoholic. He will #### his life up. That's what alcoholics do. Or they battle every day. Expecting a cure is pointless. If he wakes up tomorrow and decides that's it, I'm never drinking again, he has that battle every day for the rest of his life. He'll wake up in 15 years and he'll still want a drink.

Does. Not. End. But you can always choose to fight that battle.
From what I can tell there.. he was at a friends house hanging out. Some chicks took selfies and apparently one got his chain.

Is there something I am missing here?

eta - I also missed where we confirmed he was an alcoholic? Do we know alcohol was what he was in rehab for? I was actually assuming it was for drugs.
:fishing: :fishing: :fishing:
Not at all.. Skip Bayless seems to be the primary source accusing him being an alcoholic. Rock solid...

If we was in rehab for coke, I don't see the problem with him having a beer or few. :shrug:

eta - If he has indeed been confirmed as an alcoholic obviously my stance would shift to less/no tolerance.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ actually his dad is the main source

edit to add: If he is a coke head you honestly dont see the harm in drinking?

^ actually his dad is the main source

edit to add: If he is a coke head you honestly dont see the harm in drinking?
Link to Manziel's dad saying he is an alcoholic?

I recall him being worried/concerned about his son drinking... but so were my parents. Even in the quote his dad acknowledged it is only speculation? Granted the last I saw it was years ago so perhaps I have it wrong?

eta - and no, I don't have a problem with it if he doesn't have a problem with it. Between him and whoever is setting the guidelines for that. :shrug:

Found quote. Dad not happy his son drinks.. this is not a diagnosis.

“I don’t know where the anger comes from,” Paul said. “I don’t think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if he’s mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that he’s got demons in him. You can only speculate because you can’t go in there.”

Tom Reed @treed1919
Mike Pettine: "we're tasked with winning football games. It's disservice to other players just to play young guy to see what he has."

11:06 AM - 10 Nov 2015
Oh baloney.

When you're the worst football team in the league by a good margin you're tasked with building up that franchise to be in a position to win, with some regularity, down the line - not win the odd game here and there.

Mike, your team isn't good enough to win games.

"You think you can win on talent alone? Gentlemen, you don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."

I'm not saying that as a justification for the Browns starting Manziel, but to say that they're in "win now" mode is preposterous.

Thing is you've got 52 other guys you've got to evaluate and develop as well. And if your QB can't execute your offense, how do you find out about your other players?

Plus, at this point I think what you're finding out about JFF isn't whether you've got a Russel Wilson, it's whether you've got even a Mark Sanchez.

Like, you're running an offense designed to make things simple and easy for JFF, and it's working -- the easy first look reads are open and Johnny's still not seeing them and bailing on plays...

ETA:

Ryan Burns ‏@FtblSickness 20h20 hours ago

"NFL quarterbacks- the throws that are there, early, in the pocket, on the first read, you gotta take." Mike Pettine today, echoing @sgw94.

zftcg said:
SBNation's Stephen White breaks down the tape and says Johnny Manziel is failing football 101.

(White is always a fun read folks.)
Came here to see if anyone else posted this link. Great analysis by White. I really came out of that Cinci game thinking he looked OK. White set me straight.
It was a decent article. That said showing still pics is a bit deceving imo
There are gifs of most of the plays he discusses.

zftcg said:
SBNation's Stephen White breaks down the tape and says Johnny Manziel is failing football 101.

Came here to see if anyone else posted this link. Great analysis by White. I really came out of that Cinci game thinking he looked OK. White set me straight.
It was a decent article. That said showing still pics is a bit deceving imo
It was more than a decent article. The still pics are damning evidence for JF. Cleveland has to move on from Johnny at the end of the season. The article is a little deceiving since no QB is going to hit the right receiver every play but the article easily shows that JF is awful.

I really think that when the Browns give up on Manziel, they should draft this guy.

He wouldn't even have to change color schemes.
Height
6-0
Weight
And that could be generous. Do they really want another Qb that can't see over the offensive and defensive lines very well? The NFL isn't college and the 'short' Qb's that have been consistently good in the NFL in recent history are few and far between.

Sig mentioned this article a few times so thanks for posting the link.

Tremendous breakdown of Manziel's game by former NFL DL Stephen White. Very in-depth, here is one blurb that gives a great insight but head to the link to see the photos and gifs that give visual evidence:

------------

"... Barnidge (red circle and red arrow, because come the hell on) is wide ### open up the seam on a play that looks to have been drawn up to get Barnidge wide ### open up the seam. The short slant route underneath and behind Barnidge gets the linebacker to sit. There is nobody behind him to stop Barnidge from catching a touchdown.

This was not a hard read, and it would not have been a hard throw. The rush did not force Manziel to take off and run on this play either; he did that #### on his own.

That's why the Browns' coaching staff can't trust him and why Pettine wasn't happy even though his team had just scored.

Points are too precious in the NFL to give away some fo' sho' for some I don't know, but that's exactly what Manziel does every time he gives up on good plays and takes off running. When they draw up plays specifically to beat the opponent's coverage, offensive coordinators want the damn ball to go where it's supposed to because the plays work as designed. But they just don't know what they're going to get, even when you give Manziel the perfect frigging play."

http://pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/11/manziel_impresses_vs_steelers.html

Johnny Manziel impresses Pittsburgh Steelers defense​

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers knew what Johnny Manziel would try to do. They just didn't think he'd do it that well.

In one of the best performances of his career, the Cleveland Browns' second-year quarterback went 33 of 45 for 372 yards, a touchdown an interception.

He also ran the ball three times for 17 yards and pulled himself off the Heinz Field grass after six sacks in the Steelers' 30-9 win on Sunday.

Though Manziel was soundly beaten, his pocket presence, scrambling ability and toughness stood out to the Steelers.

"I thought maybe we'd be able to bang him out, but we sacked him a bunch and he stayed in there," Steelers free safety Mike Mitchell said. "He was game."

Manziel's most impressive play of the game came on 1st and 10 at the Steelers' 12 toward the end of the third quarter. Pittsburgh linebacker Jarvis Jones had Manziel by the jersey with the pocket collapsing on the quarterback, only for him to spin away, outrun Cameron Heyward and Arthur Moats before getting dragged down just before the goal line.

"And you're like 'Damn, this kid can escape,'" Moats said.

What more fully impressed Moats though, was Manziel's ability to keep his eyes downfield. It's a habit most young quarterbacks don't display, Moats said, and bodes well for the former Texas A&M star's NFL career

Consequently, the Steelers owe much of their success in sacking Manziel to solid coverage in the secondary.

Mitchell laughed as he said Manziel tested the defensive backs' cardio.

"His scrambling, it's really elite, something special," Mitchell said. "I knew he was going to be good at it, didn't appreciate that he was going to be that good at it."

Manziel has been the subject of controversy largely since the Browns drafted him 22nd overall in 2014. He checked into rehab this past February, was pulled over while driving with his girlfriend after they had both been drinking in October and appeared to make a partying return to College Station, Texas last week, per a series of others' social media posts.

But he was all right on Sunday.

Said Moats: "I feel like he definitely has a very promising future."

He actually looked very solid against Pittsburgh. Looked like a legit NFL QB for the first time.

I still feel he is a career backup in the big picture. But let's see if he has turned a corner. I think between the ears he will implode, and it will be what it will be. But he is getting a legit shot to make this his team and grab hold of the QB position for this franchise.

Bleacher Report NFL

@BR_NFL

Browns are starting QB Johnny Manziel for the rest of season, according to multiple reports pic.twitter.com/7fLcsQDNQH

9:48 AM - 17 Nov 2015
This makes sense for the Browns. They have to figure out what they have.
They have a talented QB with an alcohol use disorder who by the look of the TMZ video relapsed during the bye week. Pass.
Can someone here backup this "alcohol use disorder" with a diagnosis? Until this is shown, these statements are HUGE assumptions. Seems it is true only because we keep repeating it?

Obviously the kid drinks a lot. So did I. So did everyone I knew at his age, including pro athletes.

I've asked a few times, the only thing I have seen so far is a vague quote from a concerned dad..... and Skip Bayless. Was the rehab for alcohol or drugs? My assumption was drugs... but I have yet to see it verified one way or another. :shrug:

And :lmao: @ the media trying to rake him over the coals about this video while he is trying to support a local Food Bank charity.

He had an extended stay in rehab less than a year ago -- whatever he was or wasn't in there for he probably shouldn't be dabbling in any recreational substances at all at this point. The underlying issues leading to the substance abuse are certainly still there, and swapping out coke for booze (or whatever he was / is using) doesn't exactly make anything better. It's certainly a considerable red flag moving forward.

Bleacher Report NFL

@BR_NFL

Browns are starting QB Johnny Manziel for the rest of season, according to multiple reports pic.twitter.com/7fLcsQDNQH

They have a talented QB with an alcohol use disorder who by the look of the TMZ video relapsed during the bye week. Pass.
Can someone here backup this "alcohol use disorder" with a diagnosis? Until this is shown, these statements are HUGE assumptions. Seems it is true only because we keep repeating it?

Obviously the kid drinks a lot. So did I. So did everyone I knew at his age, including pro athletes.

I've asked a few times, the only thing I have seen so far is a vague quote from a concerned dad..... and Skip Bayless. Was the rehab for alcohol or drugs? My assumption was drugs... but I have yet to see it verified one way or another. :shrug:

And :lmao: @ the media trying to rake him over the coals about this video while he is trying to support a local Food Bank charity.
Okay. Substance use disorder, not necessarily alcohol. He checked himself into rehab so he's got a use disorder of some kind. Either way, if this video is from the bye week (and it might not be), then I would be very concerned about this. He doesn't seem to have bitten the bullet, does he?

Bleacher Report NFL

@BR_NFL

Okay. Substance use disorder, not necessarily alcohol. He checked himself into rehab so he's got a use disorder of some kind. Either way, if this video is from the bye week (and it might not be), then I would be very concerned about this. He doesn't seem to have bitten the bullet, does he?
That is what I am trying to determine.

Everyone is piling on him drinking - but if drinking wasn't the problem, and if there isn't anyone (clinically) telling him not to drink.... then who cares? He would be in the uber minority at his age if he wasn't drinking on a weekend he has off. :shrug:

Tom Reed @treed1919
Mike Pettine: "we're tasked with winning football games. It's disservice to other players just to play young guy to see what he has."

11:06 AM - 10 Nov 2015
Hmmmmnn.

----------------

http://www.scout.com/nfl/browns/story/1615810-manziel-starting-not-so-fast#.VlSkbvUfsM0.twitter

Johnny Manziel starting...not so fast as Mike Pettine might be reconsidering

​After being named as the rest of the season starter for the Browns, Mike Pettine might be reconsidering the move to Johnny Manziel based on Manziel's off the field actions

BEREA—After naming Johnny Manziel the starter for the remaining six games, Mike Pettine sounded as though he’s contemplating changing his mind—at least for this week’s game with the Baltimore Ravens on Monday Night Football.

Pettine was asked on Tuesday about the video that surfaced showing Manziel partying over the weekend.

“Seen it,” Pettine said. “Still in the process of gathering information. I think we’ll try to get all parties involved this afternoon and we’ll move forward from there.”

Pettine was asked if Manziel would still start on Monday against the Ravens.

“I’m not in a position yet to answer that,” Pettine said.

When pressed further Pettine said he will have the answers on Wednesday.

“I’m not going to get into that,” Pettine said. “We’re still in the process of getting all the information available before we would act on anything. “

Pettine said ‘all parties involved’ included the other coaches and Manziel.

Pettine said he has talked to Manziel, but wouldn’t disclose what the discussion involved.

“Yeah we talked about it last night.”

The issue isn't so much the drinking as the refusal to follow the orders and seeming want to thumb his nose at his employer by disobeying them publicly. The affliction is douchebaggery, not alcoholism.

Wow. He was named starter and told to keep a low profile during the BYE but apparently didn't and now he 'could' get benched.

------------

.Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak 2m2 minutes ago

#Browns coach Mike Pettine considering benching QB Johnny Manziel after video of him partying surfaces during bye. http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2015/11/24/browns-coach-mike-pettine-expresses-disappointment-frustration-in-johnny-manziels-off-field-behavior-considering-benching-him/ …

.Zac Jackson@AkronJackson 22m22 minutes ago

NFL quarterbacks don't get grounded.

.Tom Withers@twithersAP 4m4 minutes ago

Johnny Manziel could be benched for off-field behavior (from @AP) http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:04beb4263f4e436b863bed5a710bc32c …

.AP NFL@AP_NFL 8m8 minutes ago

Browns coach says Johnny Manziel's behavior 'very disappointing,' may bench QB http://apne.ws/1I8Mxz2 @twithersAP

.Nate Ulrich@NateUlrichABJ 10m10 minutes ago

#Browns QB Johnny Manziel in danger of losing starting job after party video, photos surface online: http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-qb-johnny-manziel-in-danger-of-losing-starting-job-after-party-video-photos-surface-online-1.643015 …

Look. You know what Johnny is. He's probably the most talented QB you have on the team. Your team sucks. Either cut him and take a real moral stand or play him. Benching him just creates more turmoil. It doesn't teach a lesson.

Browns gonna Brown though

Really don't know why you even keep the guy then. He is who is he is and isn't changing. And he's not talented enough to be worth the headaches. As with McCown, he's not a long term NFL starter. And he's not the best QB on that roster right now

For someone that 'couldnt wait to get out of the college scene'......odd way of showing it.

I remember this from 2014 before the draft that had the most underclassmen in NFL history. It stood out to me at the time because I thought it was a great insight.

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/steelers-gm-draft-class-could-be-most-immature-in-30-years-022014

Steelers GM: Draft class could be 'most immature' in 30 years Kevin Colbert had some interesting things to say on a draft class which includes 102 underclassmen​...Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert believes the 2014 NFL Draft class is one of the deepest he’s seen in recent history, it “almost might be the most immature” group he’s studied over his 30 years in NFL. He let the football world hear his thoughts on Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

"Experience has told us that a lot of these younger players aren't ready for this," Colbert said. "It's a huge leap. I don't think a lot of them understand that until they actually get on a playing field and see the increase in the quality of play."
I also remember this one.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/21/2014-nfl-draft-rumors-monday-morning-quarterback

...Why this is a bad year to stake your reputation on a quarterback.

As I said, I’ve been traveling to measure what smart people think about Manziel. In so doing, and in talking to a few of the decision-makers whose necks will be on the line, I’ve reached a conclusion about the position and the men who are charged with picking the passers this year.

It is a torturous decision, as the coach of a quarterback-needy team told me. As a GM, if you take a quarterback in the first round, any of them, you’re going to go home and not sleep well that night. If you pass on a quarterback with some spellbinding tools—Manziel, for instance—you’re going to go home and not sleep well that night, fearing what you’ve passed up.

The issue isn't so much the drinking as the refusal to follow the orders and seeming want to thumb his nose at his employer by disobeying them publicly. The affliction is douchebaggery, not alcoholism.
Seems to be the case. Kid is pissing away his second chance.

Bleacher Report NFL

@BR_NFL

That is what I am trying to determine.

Everyone is piling on him drinking - but if drinking wasn't the problem, and if there isn't anyone (clinically) telling him not to drink.... then who cares? He would be in the uber minority at his age if he wasn't drinking on a weekend he has off. :shrug:
Anyone with any kind of substance use disorder is putting themselves in harms way. Manziel's issues have gotten in the way of his functioning at work in ways that most people who drink do not. He gets named the starter and decides to party this week. He's putting his career at risk with this type of behavior. Would be very different if he did not have a use disorder. Stop enabling him! Haha. He isn't really walking the walk. I think it was alcohol he had an issue with too by the way

Users who are viewing this thread