What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (8 Viewers)

If Manziel goes anywhere in the top 10, it might just be the single biggest reach in draft history. The guy has second day talent at best not to mention highly questionable leadership and judgement.
I love when people identify themselves this way. Makes it easier around here.
Unlike some others, I will also readily admit when I am wrong. I just don't want my team anywhere near him on draft day. Especially if it's going to cost a top 10 pick to get him.
Unless your team has a franchise QB, I don't understand why you would say this. I don't know what he will do in the NFL, and neither do you. I know one thing, he is a game changing playmaker that will bring a lot of attention to a franchise. Basically everything you would want out of a top 10 pick. Haters gonna hate.......
He is 6ft 200lbs, character issues and concerns about his arm strength. Thats why people may be hesitant.
Video game numbers in the best conference in college football.
So now he'll be facing 16 LSU's every season. Do you like that prospect?

If Manziel goes anywhere in the top 10, it might just be the single biggest reach in draft history. The guy has second day talent at best not to mention highly questionable leadership and judgement.
Unlike some others, I will also readily admit when I am wrong. I just don't want my team anywhere near him on draft day. Especially if it's going to cost a top 10 pick to get him.
Unless your team has a franchise QB, I don't understand why you would say this. I don't know what he will do in the NFL, and neither do you. I know one thing, he is a game changing playmaker that will bring a lot of attention to a franchise. Basically everything you would want out of a top 10 pick. Haters gonna hate.......
He is 6ft 200lbs, character issues and concerns about his arm strength. Thats why people may be hesitant.
History has shown that doesnt translate to anything in the pros.

So now he'll be facing 16 LSU's every season. Do you like that prospect?
Or 16 Alabama's?

This is actually kind of true. Tebow is a good example. Now Johnny Football is a far better prospect than Tebow but if you look at the history of Heisman QBs vs other positions, the hit rate is much lower in the pros.

This is actually kind of true. Tebow is a good example. Now Johnny Football is a far better prospect than Tebow but if you look at the history of Heisman QBs vs other positions, the hit rate is much lower in the pros.
Cam.

Last 16 Heisman QBs, 1 playoff win...

Hint: he played college ball in the state of Florida. So Danny Wuerffel! Thanks for playing folks, and now lets move on to our next po wait, what?

No, Wuerffel, who played for the Florida Gators, never did it. And of course you know the answer to this quiz, but cant get up the nerve to blurt it out. Go on, say his name, SAY IT.

Among the past 16 quarterbacks to win the Heisman, there has been a grand total of one NFL playoff win as a starter. And that winner was Tim Tebow. The magic happened in Jan., of 2012, as the Broncos beat the Steelers in OT, 29-23, on Tebows 80-yard bomb to Demaryius Thomas.

This says more about the Heisman winners than it does Tebow, Im afraid. One has to go back to Vinny Testaverde, who won the Heisman in 1986 at the University of Miami, to find someone who had a modicum of NFL success. And before him there were plenty, but since 1987 there havent been many Heisman quarterbacks who have done much, NFL playoff-wise.
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/of-the-past-16-qbs-to-win-the-heisman-guess-whos-the-only-one-with-an-nfl-playoff-victory-as-a-starter/

Yes, Cam is a good QB. And maybe he makes it 2 Heisman QBs. But when Vinny Testeverde is your best Heisman QB ever...

Cam is 6'6 270 lbs with the strongest arm in the NFL.
Wait. What were we talking about?

Cam's Heisman Year:

2,854 passing yards. 30 TDs, 7 INTs. 1,473 rushing yards. 20 TDs.

Manziel's Heisman Year:

3,706 passing yards. 26 TDs, 9 INTs. 1,410 rushing yards. 21 TDs.

Manziel's NON-Heisman year:

4114/37/13 passing and 686/8 rushing.

Improved completion percentage from 68% to 69.9%.

Not exactly germane to the Heisman discussion, but it shows that the kid is improving as a passer.

All the Heisman means to me is that lighting up CFB doesn't necessarily mean lighting up the NFL. I actually like Manziel and would live to see my Vikes draft him cause his ceiling is absurd. But CFB success isn't the best argument for a QB prospect. You have to look at measurables, arm strength, tape etc.

Manziel's NON-Heisman year:

4114/37/13 passing and 686/8 rushing.

Improved completion percentage from 68% to 69.9%.

Not exactly germane to the Heisman discussion, but it shows that the kid is improving as a passer.
The team who takes the "chance" is going to get a gamer. I don't see how people can be skeptical about the kid's ability to play football.

I hope he lights up the NFL, gets caught smoking weed, donates 25% of his bonus to orphans and another 25% to his buddies still playing at A&M, gets a prominent tattoo denigrating the league and cures cancer. I hope he makes Roger Goodell's head explode.

Yes, the league will slap him down; the league always wins. But he can still become our William Wallace. "They can garnish our paychecks but they'll never take..... OUR FREEDOM!"

The suggestion that his winning the Heisman is a negative sign for his pro prospects is plain silly. It's not a positive either, granted. It means next to nothing.

The suggestion that his winning the Heisman is a negative sign for his pro prospects is plain silly. It's not a positive either, granted. It means next to nothing.
this. You can ignore the award if you're trying to guess the future.

Hint: he played college ball in the state of Florida. So Danny Wuerffel! Thanks for playing folks, and now lets move on to our next po wait, what?

No, Wuerffel, who played for the Florida Gators, never did it. And of course you know the answer to this quiz, but cant get up the nerve to blurt it out. Go on, say his name, SAY IT.

Among the past 16 quarterbacks to win the Heisman, there has been a grand total of one NFL playoff win as a starter. And that winner was Tim Tebow. The magic happened in Jan., of 2012, as the Broncos beat the Steelers in OT, 29-23, on Tebows 80-yard bomb to Demaryius Thomas.

This says more about the Heisman winners than it does Tebow, Im afraid. One has to go back to Vinny Testaverde, who won the Heisman in 1986 at the University of Miami, to find someone who had a modicum of NFL success. And before him there were plenty, but since 1987 there havent been many Heisman quarterbacks who have done much, NFL playoff-wise.
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/of-the-past-16-qbs-to-win-the-heisman-guess-whos-the-only-one-with-an-nfl-playoff-victory-as-a-starter/

Yes, Cam is a good QB. And maybe he makes it 2 Heisman QBs. But when Vinny Testeverde is your best Heisman QB ever...
Roger Staubach would disagree.

Palmer was good for a few years.

Paul Hornung is a HOFer.

But yes, overall it's a horrible list for NFL QBs.

At this point in my life I'm not really a fan of any individual player like I was when I was a kid. That said, I watched Manziel play once last season and became an instant fan. I would LOVE for this guy to do well in the NFL. And if he wants to play the villain all the better. I have no idea whether or not his style of play will succeed in the pros, but if he can bring half the magic he does at A&M then the Raiders would do well to draft him.

(Caveat: I know jack squat about the college game or scouting, I'm basing this all on emotion.)

2014 NFL Draft: Johnny Manziel to discuss NFL decision with family

By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

January 6, 2014 7:00 pm ET
Johnny Manziel has long been expected to forgo his final two years of eligibility and enter the 2014 NFL Draft, but the Texas A&M quarterback told ESPN he is still undecided about whether to return to the Aggies for next season.

Manziel intends to meet with his family this week before making a final decision. Underclassmen have until Jan. 15 to declare for this year's draft.

Manziel was in Pasadena, Calif., for Monday night's BCS title game between Auburn and Florida State.

"I want to make the right decision that's best for me and my family," Manziel told ESPN.

Manziel is currently the No. 8-rated overall player eligible this year, according to NFLDraftScout.com ratings. He is likely to be a top 10 selection should he elect to leave school, but the quarterback class received a strong boost with juniors Teddy Bridgewater from Louisville and UCF's Blake Bortles announcing they will forgo their final years of eligibility.

Bridgewater has been NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated quarterback since May, but Bortles shot to the top of analyst Dane Brugler's Mock Draft after announcing his decision. Fellow analyst Rob Rang projects Manziel going to the Oakland Raiders with the fifth pick, but only lists Johnny Football as No. 17 on his Big Board.

Whenever he elects to enter the NFL, Manziel will certainly be one of the most polarizing prospects. While it only takes one team with a top 10 selection to fall in love with Manziel, there are many others who will have concerns about his arm strength, ability to translate his game to the NFL and Manziel's lengthy history of off-field distractions.

Manziel led Texas A&M to a dramatic comeback victory over Duke in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl on New Year's Eve in what most expected to be his swan song with the Aggies. Teammate and fellow redshirt sophomore wide receiver Mike Evans announced he will forgo his final two years of eligibility, but Manziel has taken his time before making an official decision.

If Manziel elects to stay in college, he could face even steeper competition in the 2015 class, when Oregon's Marcus Mariota, UCLA's Brett Hundley and Stanford's Kevin Hogan will all be coming off their junior seasons -- and that's just in the Pac-12.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/of-the-past-16-qbs-to-win-the-heisman-guess-whos-the-only-one-with-an-nfl-playoff-victory-as-a-starter/Yes, Cam is a good QB. And maybe he makes it 2 Heisman QBs. But when Vinny Testeverde is your best Heisman QB ever...
Roger Staubach would disagree.

Palmer was good for a few years.

Paul Hornung is a HOFer.

But yes, overall it's a horrible list for NFL QBs.
Yea, I guess Vinny has the most yards.

Not sure why but I like the kid. He's got the tools of Wilson but not sure about the intangibles.
Not sure about the intangibles? Wilson has perhaps the best intangibles of any young QB. I doubt Manziel has Wilson's love of the game when he's out partying all the time.

Not sure why but I like the kid. He's got the tools of Wilson but not sure about the intangibles.
Not sure about the intangibles? Wilson has perhaps the best intangibles of any young QB. I doubt Manziel has Wilson's love of the game when he's out partying all the time.
Yea, no NFL stars have ever partied and had success. I mean that Cowboy dynasty must have hated the game.

Yea, no NFL stars have ever partied and had success. I mean that Cowboy dynasty must have hated the game.
Troy Aikman was never a part of that.

His character concerns aren't any worse than Favre, Marino, Roethlisberger....

He's a good ole boy, beer drinking bro (probable) DBag. No problem there.

Rotoworld:

ESPN.com reports that Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel will sign with Select Sports Group and enter the 2014 NFL draft.

Manziel will also sign with LRMR -- run by Maverick Carter -- to do his marketing. Over the past two seasons, the former Heisman winner threw for 7,820 yards and 63 touchdowns and rushed for 2,169 yards with 30 touchdowns. ESPN's Todd McShay projects Manziel to be the fourth overall pick, but has Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and UCF's Blake Bortles going higher. We expect Manziel to be a top-10 selection and see some of Tony Romo's game in him, specifically his preternatural improvisational skills.

Source: ESPN.com

Troy Aikman was never a part of that.
Exactly. QB is 80% mental, knowing what options the defense presents before you snap the ball. Insane ability will take you so far, and can be dazzling, but wont have consistent success at the pro level. Look at RG3 this year, his head was a mess and so was his game.

Hoping Mr Football can get it together.

I wish I could place a wager on Manziel getting play for the #1 pick. First week of April, that'd be my guess.

The best part of the draft, to me, is the late risers throwing everyone's projections out of whack. Right now, the assumption is that Manziel is probably a 1st rounder. That's not gonna hold. Barring another character bump in the road, I think he's a top 5 lock. And I think by April, that's just gonna be 'common knowledge'.

I just cannot see there not being some serious discussion in Houston about this kid. If Manziel is Brett Favre 2.0, the Texans have a chance to roar by the Cowboys for a decade. For Pete's sake, he's white, and the call him Johnny Football. If he has even a Dalton or Russell Wilson rookie year, they're a playoff team.

Was Aikman out partying all the time?

Equating the QB position to any other position is failure from the get go.

Manziel's physical traits don't scare me near as much as his attitude and psyche do. Wilson has a work ethic and drive that help him mitigate his height concerns.

You couple Manziel's slight build and his average arm strength with questionable judgment and a predilection for coping with stress via his fondness for the party life...and that's a pretty big risk. What's he going to do when he's got the face of the franchise pressure and gets a few pick 6's under his belt because he tries to sneak a few balls into places that he used to be able to back in college? Is he going to double down on his study habits and commitment to learning the craft or is he going to think that staying loose via a night on the town is the answer?

Is he a gamer? Absolutely. But that doesn't always translate. You are taking a gamble that the light will come on for him in terms of professionalism and maturity.

I just cannot see there not being some serious discussion in Houston about this kid. If Manziel is Brett Favre 2.0, the Texans have a chance to roar by the Cowboys for a decade. For Pete's sake, he's white, and they call him Johnny Football. If he has even a Dalton or Russell Wilson rookie year, they're a playoff team.
:goodposting:

Might be a nice time to speculatively pick up an aging Andre Johnson as well. Two or three QBs out there who could improve his value next year.

I wish I could place a wager on Manziel getting play for the #1 pick. First week of April, that'd be my guess.

The best part of the draft, to me, is the late risers throwing everyone's projections out of whack. Right now, the assumption is that Manziel is probably a 1st rounder. That's not gonna hold. Barring another character bump in the road, I think he's a top 5 lock. And I think by April, that's just gonna be 'common knowledge'.

I just cannot see there not being some serious discussion in Houston about this kid. If Manziel is Brett Favre 2.0, the Texans have a chance to roar by the Cowboys for a decade. For Pete's sake, he's white, and the call him Johnny Football. If he has even a Dalton or Russell Wilson rookie year, they're a playoff team.
Yep, the ball will start rolling after the Combine and will really start tumbling after free agency fades. I'll be more stunned if he's not picked top 5 than I will be if he is picked 1st.

Ken Stabler was a partying legend, at Bama and in the pros. Manziel is probably as talented as Stabler was (Stabler was underrated imo). The difference, and its a huge one is that Stabler dealt with a 1960s/70s sports media which is hardly the pressure cooker that today's media is. Has Manziel dealt with today's media? Hardly. He goes to a hick college in Texas where the local media treat him like a king and if that isn't cloistered enough, he takes online courses so he doesn't even have to interact with his peon classmates. He has no idea what it's going to be like when he throws a game losing interception and will deal with national NFL writers beating him down. A more talented Ryan Leaf just means a more delayed meltdown.

Ken Stabler was a partying legend, at Bama and in the pros. Manziel is probably as talented as Stabler was (Stabler was underrated imo). The difference, and its a huge one is that Stabler dealt with a 1960s/70s sports media which is hardly the pressure cooker that today's media is. Has Manziel dealt with today's media? Hardly. He goes to a hick college in Texas where the local media treat him like a king and if that isn't cloistered enough, he takes online courses so he doesn't even have to interact with his peon classmates. He has no idea what it's going to be like when he throws a game losing interception and will deal with national NFL writers beating him down. A more talented Ryan Leaf just means a more delayed meltdown.
Jeff George.

Yep, the ball will start rolling after the Combine and will really start tumbling after free agency fades. I'll be more stunned if he's not picked top 5 than I will be if he is picked 1st.
You think the combine is going to help johnny?

Not with his "play" ability as everyone knows what you are getting there..

But it will be the first time scouts and other NFL officials have a chance to speak one on one with him.. Will give them insight on where his mind really is.. :popcorn:

Manziel has been pretty well blasted by the media already. You can say he hasn't "dealt" with it well but it's never bothered him or affected his play. If anything, he seems to have the personality to just shrug off bad press, which he already did early this year.

Manziel has been pretty well blasted by the media already. You can say he hasn't "dealt" with it well but it's never bothered him or affected his play. If anything, he seems to have the personality to just shrug off bad press, which he already did early this year.
That was an hors d'oeuvres. I'll be happy to take the speculation about how he handles the NFL media back when he gets to the veal.

2014 NFL Draft: A&M's Manziel set for NFL decision

By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com

January 8, 2014 11:53 am ET
Johnny Manziel is expected to announce his decision to enter the 2014 NFL Draft as early as Wednesday.

The Texas A&M redshirt sophomore, the No. 2 quarterback in the NFLDraftScout.com rankings, said Monday during an appearance on the BCS national championship telecast, said he was making his final decision with his family. The next day, he reportedly aligned with LeBron James' marketing reps, SSG and ringleader Maverick Carter.

Manziel was only a two-year starter, but a prolific one to be sure. He was nine yards shy of becoming the first sophomore to total 10,000 yards from scrimmage.

Manziel promises to be one of the most polarizing prospects leading up to the May draft. While he has dazzled with his playmaking ability in college, questions remain about his arm strength and whether he possesses the leadership qualities to become the face of an NFL franchise following a tumultuous offseason after winning the Heisman.

Beyond answering questions related to his character and commitment to the team, Manziel's pro evaluation will put his pure passing ability and the impact of his modest frame and reckless, Favre-ian playing style under the microscope. Scouts told NFLDraftScout.com that Manziel's height concerns could be minimized by his relatively large hands (enhancing ball security and the spin he can put on the ball) and small-space agility to bounce into clean throwing windows to deliver the ball on time.

For the questions about Manziel's antics away from the game and any belief he is the entitled type unwilling to fully dedicate himself to NFL greatness, there is no doubt about Manziel's competitive edge. He fired back directly at critics on Twitter during his summertime string of sidetrips and signatures that made headlines and drew a suspension for the first half of the season opener. And his fire on the field needs no explanation. Coach Kevin Sumlin called him a one-of-a-kind leader, and teammates at A&M were, at least publicly, unanimously in Manziel's corner.

He racked up 7,820 yards and 63 TD passes and 2,169 yards and 30 touchdowns rushing. In the Aggies' first season in the SEC, Manziel erupted onto the scene with an upset win over No. 1 Alabama, won the Heisman and set the single-season record for total offense (5,116 yards).

That was an hors d'oeuvres. I'll be happy to take the speculation about how he handles the NFL media back when he gets to the veal.
He'll be under a microscope, which may not feel that much different than college. The only NFL media that might be as tough as all that is Boston and New York, and looks like he won't be in either place.

Media scrutiny is a weird thing to bring up, only because this kid might be as unfazed by it as any college kid since Tebow.

As per RotoWorld (via Gil Brandt), he will be entering the 2014 draft.

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel will forgo his final two years of eligibility and enter the NFL draft.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter
Jan 8 - 12:26 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, interviews.

The Heisman is a pretty arbitrary award. Trying to link future success or failure to that particular trophy is kind of silly.
exactly..

while i hope Johnny is successful in the NFL. trying to figure out heisman winner to future success wont work.

Heisman is given out to the guy with best stats normally on 1 of the best teams in the country.

remember eric crouch and such

My two cents is that he'll be a more accurate Mike Vick.

He'll make highlight plays that start out with people saying "No,no,no" and end with "Wow".

But his style of play will invite too many hits and you better plan on having a quality backup that can start 2-4 games a year in his place.

He'll make highlight plays that start out with people saying "No,no,no" and end with "Wow".

But his style of play will invite too many hits and you better plan on having a quality backup that can start 2-4 games a year in his place.
But that's just it. If Mike Vick was more accurate he wouldn't have to take off as much and would get hit less.

Mike Vick? Brett Favre? Where do people come up with these ridiculous comparisons. He doesn't have anywhere near the arm strength or running ability of Vick. Favre had a much better arm than Manziel could possibly hope to have. Even the Russell Wilson comparison is a joke. Wilson had tremendous success as a pocket passer on two separate programs and even considering his lack of height. The only comparison which made even a modicum of sense is the Doug Flutie comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, I have a tough time getting around the size/durability concerns.

No scouting report is going to convince me that he is going to avoid injury. Pretty much every position in the NFL, being smaller results in a lot more injuries.

But that's just it. If Mike Vick was more accurate he wouldn't have to take off as much and would get hit less.
Not sure I agree. His college comp pct was much higher and Manziel got hit a ton. Part of the reason for the comp pct is he runs around so much is waiting for recvers,

He won't throw the ball away.

He's just constantly lookign for the big play like the young Mike Vick was.

Mike Vick? Brett Favre? Where do people come up with these ridiculous comparisons. He doesn't have anywhere near the arm strength or running ability of Vick. Favre had a much better arm than Manziel could possibly hope to have. Even the Russell Wilson comparison is a joke. Wilson had tremendous success as a pocket passer on two separate programs and even considering his lack of height. The only comparison which made even a modicum of sense is the Doug Flutie comparison.
Those aren't the comparisons people were making to those players.

Users who are viewing this thread