What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official EJ Manuel (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Bills coach Doug Marrone revealed that E.J. Manuel suffered a sprained left knee in Sunday's Week 15 win over Jacksonville.

The Bills expect Manuel to be fine -- he didn't miss any snaps against the Jags -- but it's quietly the third knee injury of Manuel's rookie season. Manuel's on-field performance has been thoroughly up and down in 2013, and his health has also been shaky. The Bills will definitely throw support behind Manuel for 2014, but it's very questionable whether he's a franchise quarterback. He has not been as good as Mike Glennon in Tampa.

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter

As a Bills homer I'm still cautiously optimistic that EJ can be the guy. He missed most of the preason and over a month of the regular season with a knee, so I think that has held back his development but he certainly has the poise, attitude, and arm strength of a franchise guy. Its quite obvious he can't play well in hostile enviroments yet, he has had some serious clunkers on the road where he can get skittish in the pocket. At times he will sail short passes mind-boggling high, but I don't think its a stretch to believe he can iron out those kinks in his game by next season.

Remember the bills drafted two recievers early last year as well, and both woods and goodwin have shown promising flashes as rookie wideouts. I think there will be money/picks spent on the o line next year as well, and can see him being a low QB1/high QB2 next season.

The rotoworld blurbs in general seem to have lost objectivity that last two seasons. Not sure how they divy up writing the updates, but its painfully obvious sometimes of a bias. Even worse, its more common to see them beech, moan, and openly hope for a larger/smaller role for a particular player than give a honest opinion of the situation going forward. Thats what message boards are for, not news sites. But still, I havent found a better site for up to date FF news so it will still be a daily read for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Coach Doug Marrone said he's "110 percent confident" E.J. Manuel (knee) will start in Week 17.

Manuel won't play in Sunday's game against the Dolphins due to a lack of mobility. The rookie is dealing with his third knee injury of the season, but the Bills aren't shutting him down. "Every snap, every time we can get him in there, that type of experience, the better and better he gets," said Marrone.

Source: buffalobills.com

Rotoworld:

E.J. Manuel "isn't sure yet" if his most recent knee injury will require surgery.

According to Manuel, all he has planned for now is "physical therapy and strength training." A new operation would be Manuel's second since being the No. 16 overall pick of last April's draft. It's definitely an issue. If Manuel goes under the knife, it would be a major setback were he not ready for OTAs. Few players need a full offseason program more than Buffalo's shaky rookie signal caller.

Source: Bills on Twitter

Rotoworld:

E.J. Manuel underwent a clean-up procedure on his left knee earlier this month.

The "in-and-out" operation is related to the "minor" knee sprain Manuel suffered in Week 15. It's the same knee he had operated on in August. Speaking after Week 17, Manuel claimed he was unsure if he'd go under the knife, saying only "physical therapy and strength training" were planned. However, it sounds like the surgery was performed shortly after the season ended. Manuel appears well on track to be ready for the Bills' offseason program, but It's definitely a concern for a player who suffered three knee injuries as a rookie, and was shaky — at best — as the Bills' starting quarterback. Manuel can't afford to miss any practice reps ahead of 2014.

Source: Tim Graham on Twitter
E.J. Manuel (left knee scope) plans to wear a brace in 2014.

"I’ll probably have to wear a brace from here on out," Manuel said Thursday. "When you have some defenders come down on you, you don’t want to have to risk getting whatever type of knee injury. I’ll have a brace, but it won’t inhibit me still being able to take off and run." Manuel mentioned Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning as players who wear braces, but left out Robert Griffin III. RGIII's brace appeared to inhibit him at times in 2013. Manuel needs to do whatever he can to avoid further knee injuries, but wearing a brace is never ideal.

Source: buffalobills.com

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Louis Riddick calls the Bills' quarterback situation "one I could see going off the rails in a bad way very quickly."
Riddick is an avid game-tape watcher and has quickly become one of our favorite football analysts. He believes there are "not many excuses left for Buffalo to not start seriously contending in their division." It's true that the Bills have pieces in place to be an AFC East contender, particularly on defense and in the run game. E.J. Manuel played nearly as poorly as a rookie as Geno Smith, but hasn't received half as much criticism because E.J. plays in a far smaller market. Manuel will have to improve in a major way as a sophomore to prevent GM Doug Whaley from going back to the drawing board at quarterback in 2015.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Louis Riddick calls the Bills' quarterback situation "one I could see going off the rails in a bad way very quickly."
Riddick is an avid game-tape watcher and has quickly become one of our favorite football analysts. He believes there are "not many excuses left for Buffalo to not start seriously contending in their division." It's true that the Bills have pieces in place to be an AFC East contender, particularly on defense and in the run game. E.J. Manuel played nearly as poorly as a rookie as Geno Smith, but hasn't received half as much criticism because E.J. plays in a far smaller market. Manuel will have to improve in a major way as a sophomore to prevent GM Doug Whaley from going back to the drawing board at quarterback in 2015.

Manuel completed 59% of his passes and threw more TD's than INT's, not close IMO.

Rotoworld:

Manuel completed 59% of his passes and threw more TD's than INT's, not close IMO.
And he had less practice time due to injury.

msudaisy26 said:
cstu said:
Rotoworld:

But he also had conservative play calling and an easier schedule. I think it was pretty close overall, neither was very good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bills also didn't have a dedicated QB coach last year. That would probably work for Peyton or Brady, but for a rookie with limited practice time under his belt due to injury and a veteran in camp last year, I'm sure we will see an uptick in his play this year.

msudaisy26 said:
cstu said:
Rotoworld:

But he also had conservative play calling and an easier schedule. I think it was pretty close overall, neither was very good.
Their schedules are the exact same except 2 games. The Bills got the Jags and Chiefs. The Jets got the Titans and Oakland.

cstu said:
Rotoworld:

Really? i put both in the same bucket. Both played ok at times and showed some talent. Both need to show quite a bit of improvement this year or teams will move on.

msudaisy26 said:
cstu said:
Rotoworld:

Their schedules are the exact same except 2 games. The Bills got the Jags and Chiefs. The Jets got the Titans and Oakland.
Manuel missed 6 1/2 games, and he also faced the Jets twice while Geno faced the Bills twice instead.

msudaisy26 said:
cstu said:
Rotoworld:

Manuel missed 6 1/2 games, and he also faced the Jets twice while Geno faced the Bills twice instead.
Thanks for making my case. The Jets were the better team. I wouldn't say Manuel was good or even average but he wasn't nearly as bad Geno. Both could still turn out to be good.

msudaisy26 said:
cstu said:
Rotoworld:

Thanks for making my case. The Jets were the better team. I wouldn't say Manuel was good or even average but he wasn't nearly as bad Geno. Both could still turn out to be good.
The Jets were the better passing defense? That's news to, well, everyone who deals in reality.

Sorry, but you have no case.

msudaisy26 said:
cstu said:
Rotoworld:

Smith wasn't that bad all things considered

Manuel's season was almost identical to Drew Brees first starting season per game (and Brees had a season to prepare and no injuries).

Jury is ALWAYS still out after any QB's rookie season, especially one riddled with injury. There is a reason these guys used to sit for a couple of years before playing.

In 2013 the Bills ran 1116 total offensive plays. 546 rushing attempts to 522 passing attempts. With a rookie QB who missed a good part of the season with injury.

The Bills ran the 3rd most offensive plays in 2013. Just behind the Patriots (who set a new record in 2012 using similar up-tempo system) and the Bronco's (Peyton did hurry plays up in 2013). That is a lot of opportunity with potential to improve on yards/play efficiency and possibly more total plays if they do. The Bills seem like a team on the rise and their skill players should be good because of the opportunity.

If Spiller could stay healthy all season, he is in line for some fantastic numbers. Jackson did phenomenally well for a 32 year old RB last season. Hard to expect him to be able to repeat that again. Any new RB to the Bill's will have some fantastic opportunity.

From what I saw of Manuel he looked good. Very decisive with the ball. They have a good coach now.

humpback said:
msudaisy26 said:
Rotoworld:

The Jets were the better passing defense? That's news to, well, everyone who deals in reality.

Did I say passing defense? You said the Bills had a easier schedule and it wasn't, I said the Jets were a better team and they were. Please stop putting words in my mouth. Manuel played better then Geno.

humpback said:
msudaisy26 said:
Rotoworld:

Did I say passing defense? You said the Bills had a easier schedule and it wasn't, I said the Jets were a better team and they were. Please stop putting words in my mouth. Manuel played better then Geno.
:lmao:

I said "he" had an easier schedule. We're talking about QBs and their passing stats here, so who gives a crap if the Jets may have had the better team? Passing defense is what's relevant.

msudaisy26 said:
What am I thinking. We all know that pass defense is the only thing that affects a quarterback.
No idea.

Of course I never said that pass defense is the only thing that affects a QB, but you don't think it's the most relevant stat to look at? What would you pick, rush defense?

Fact- EJ Manuel faced easier passing defenses than Geno Smith last year. That's only one factor that probably had some impact on the overall stats of the two, but go ahead and ignore it if you'd like.

New coach + rookie + weakened OL was enough to scare me off of Manuel last year, but when he did play he was impressive. At least to me. He'll be an interesting play next year. Lots of potential. At this point tThere are other QBs I'd rather have as my QB2, but I won't be upset if Maneul is on my roster. If Geno Smith is on my roster, something really, really bad will have happened to my draft. Do not want.

New coach + rookie + weakened OL was enough to scare me off of Manuel last year, but when he did play he was impressive. At least to me. He'll be an interesting play next year. Lots of potential. At this point tThere are other QBs I'd rather have as my QB2, but I won't be upset if Maneul is on my roster. If Geno Smith is on my roster, something really, really bad will have happened to my draft. Do not want.
I agree with you, he reminds me a bit of Cam Newton. The dude is a bear, the Bills need to draft Mike Evans.

I'll take him as a late flyer.

If we are comparing Geno to EJ (2013 rookies), I'll throw out Mike Glennon. He looked much better than both on a crummier team (albeit with a better #1 WR than the former two).

Rotoworld:

Bills coach Doug Marrone stated at the league meetings Tuesday that E.J. Manuel (knee surgeries) will be ready for all offseason workouts.
It's good news for Manuel, who wasn't ready to play in the NFL as a rookie and additionally suffered three separate knee injuries, two requiring surgery. He was outplayed by Thad Lewis. We're still surprised the Bills were so quiet on the free agent quarterback market. They arguably have a playoff-ready roster at every position save signal caller, right tackle, and free safety.

Source: Tim Graham on Twitter

Charley Casserly: 7 QBs in 2014 draft rate higher than EJ Manuel

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

A year ago, EJ Manuel was the first quarterback taken and the only one to go in the first round. But according to NFL Network contributor and former NFL general manager Charley Casserly, Manuel would be the eighth-best quarterback in the 2014 draft.

"I've got a lot of guys rated ahead of (Manuel) based on their college career and based on Manuel's college career," Casserly said on Thursday's Path to the Draft. "[Teddy] Bridgewater, [blake] Bortles, [Johnny] Manziel, [Derek] Carr, [Jimmy] Garoppolo and [AJ] McCarron -- I've got them all rated ahead of EJ Manuel coming out a year ago. And you know what, LSU quarterback [Zach] Mettenberger, I've got him ahead of Manuel, too."

Last April, the Bills traded down in the first round and got Manuel 16th overall. He started 10 games as a rookie, completed 58.8 percent of his passes with 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions, and ranked 37th in total QB value, according to Football Outsiders (which was better than Case Keenum, Matt Flynn and Joe Flacco).

But Manuel, who was slowed by a knee injury midway through the season, showed glimpses of franchise quarterback potential, and general manager Doug Whaley has stated repeatedly that the team isn't in the market for a quarterback.

And coach Doug Marrone, who, like Manuel, is heading into his second season, thinks we'll see a much-improved quarterback in 2014.

"It's going to be unbelievable," Marrone said, via the BuffaloNews.com's Tim Graham. "It's the biggest benefit that you can have.

"I love the way [Manuel's] going about his business right now. He's learned a lot. It was a new experience for him. ... He's a very bright kid, a very prideful kid. I think all those experiences that happened to him -- all the adversity, the challenges with the injuries, preparing for that first away game, the two-minute drive to win the game against Carolina -- all these things tell him, 'OK, I know what I have to do to get better.' ... He's hungrier now than he's been before."

It's worth pointing out that Casserly was the GM in Houston when the Texans used the first-overall pick in 2002 on David Carr, and was at the helm in Washington when the Redskins used the No. 3 pick in 1994 on quarterback Heath Shuler. If you're in the talent-evaluation business, those are two names whose NFL careers don't exactly freshen up your resume.

Then again, as PFT's Michael David Smith notes, "Just because a GM has made bad picks doesn't mean he lacks knowledge about the draft evaluation process."

Put another way: This is the latest example of why the draft is more art than science.

Rotoworld:

Bills GM Doug Whaley told reporters surrounding E.J. Manuel with as much talent as possible is a high priority.
"It’s a quarterback-driven league," said Whaley. "Our main focus is making sure E.J. progresses." Most mocks have the Bills taking a tackle at pick No. 9, but a North Carolina TE Eric Ebron would make sense as well. Buffalo has the roster to make a playoff push in 2014 if Manuel takes a leap forward. Based on his rookie-year performance, we're not overwhelmingly optimistic.

Source: Buffalo News

Rotoworld:

Bills GM Doug Whaley told reporters surrounding E.J. Manuel with as much talent as possible is a high priority.

"Its a quarterback-driven league," said Whaley. "Our main focus is making sure E.J. progresses." Most mocks have the Bills taking a tackle at pick No. 9, but a North Carolina TE Eric Ebron would make sense as well. Buffalo has the roster to make a playoff push in 2014 if Manuel takes a leap forward. Based on his rookie-year performance, we're not overwhelmingly optimistic.

From what I did see, EJ has the potential to be a franchise qb. But he has to stay healthy.

Ebron would be a decent pick but Mike Evans seems even better.

Rotoworld:

"Its a quarterback-driven league," said Whaley. "Our main focus is making sure E.J. progresses." Most mocks have the Bills taking a tackle at pick No. 9, but a North Carolina TE Eric Ebron would make sense as well. Buffalo has the roster to make a playoff push in 2014 if Manuel takes a leap forward. Based on his rookie-year performance, we're not overwhelmingly optimistic.

From what I did see, EJ has the potential to be a franchise qb. But he has to stay healthy.

Ebron would be a decent pick but Mike Evans seems even better.
I liked him as a dynasty value pick last season. I like him a bit less now because he got injured and didn't really show well when he did play. On the other hand, he is still an upside player and it wouldn't surprise me if he improved tremendously. Basically, we will know by mid-season whether he has a future or not I think. I want to see him go downfield more and use more of the passing tree.

Rotoworld:

From what I did see, EJ has the potential to be a franchise qb. But he has to stay healthy.Ebron would be a decent pick but Mike Evans seems even better.
I liked him as a dynasty value pick last season. I like him a bit less now because he got injured and didn't really show well when he did play. On the other hand, he is still an upside player and it wouldn't surprise me if he improved tremendously. Basically, we will know by mid-season whether he has a future or not I think. I want to see him go downfield more and use more of the passing tree.
I'll wait until the end of the year to assess. Unless he looks really good or really lost.

Agree on what you want to see from him, more than running given his injury history. Really I just want to see intelligent play.

This can only help EJ a ton. Watkins is a playmaker with the ball in his hand and a great RAC guy. This gives EJ two pretty good WRs to work with.

Buffalo Bills GM reaffirms commitment to EJ Manuel

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley quadrupled down on his faith in EJ Manuel."We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

Whaley's actions in the first two rounds of this weekend's NFL draft underscored his faith in Manuel. Whaley traded a future first-round pick for receiver Sammy Watkins.

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

In the second round, he added offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, who slid out of the first round due to injury issues, but could help keep Manuel off the turf. Whaley then added two more late-round offensive linemen, traded slot receiver Stevie Johnson and swapped a future pick for running back Bryce Brown.

The trade for Watkins was the type of move a team makes when it believes it's one player away from contending. Thanks to instability at the quarterback position, the Bills haven't been one player away in more than a decade.

Whaley believes in Manuel, and the GM is willing to bet his 2015 future that his 2013 first-round pick can make the leap in 2014.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

Its so funny when teams think they are "one player away." Nobody is ever "one player away." The Bills could turn this ship around quickly I think. Woods looked very good last year. If Watkins can get up to speed and Manuel can stay healthy, I really like their offense and defense.

Rotoworld:

Coach Doug Marrone said it's now "like a light going off" when talking with the Bills quarterbacks about the offensive playbook.
E.J. Manuel was wildly inconsistent as he digested OC Nathaniel Hackett's offense during his rookie campaign. Now he's in the "advanced stages" of the scheme, according to Marrone. After adding Sammy Watkins and Mike Williams to weaponry that already included C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson, Robert Woods, and a rock-solid offensive line, supporting cast is no longer an excuse. The Bills are betting the house that Manuel can take a major leap forward.

Rotoworld:

Coach Doug Marrone said it's now "like a light going off" when talking with the Bills quarterbacks about the offensive playbook.

E.J. Manuel was wildly inconsistent as he digested OC Nathaniel Hackett's offense during his rookie campaign. Now he's in the "advanced stages" of the scheme, according to Marrone. After adding Sammy Watkins and Mike Williams to weaponry that already included C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson, Robert Woods, and a rock-solid offensive line, supporting cast is no longer an excuse. The Bills are betting the house that Manuel can take a major leap forward.

I'm not convinced that Nathaniel Hackett isn't part of the problem....

Rotoworld:

ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak said second-year QB E.J. Manuel struggled with accuracy during OTAs.
Rodak said Manuel had "multiple" passes sail high during the Bills final practice and that had been "a trend during the three weeks of OTAs." The Bills are loaded at offensive skill positions, but Manuel has to play better for Buffalo to reach their full potential. We are not optimistic he will.

Source: ESPN.com

Users who are viewing this thread