What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (5 Viewers)

Just finished Swann's Way by Proust and it's a tossup what to read next -

1. Already have a copy of In The Budding Grove, the second part of Proust's In Search of Lost Time. Friends have said it's even better than Part 1. I find that hard to believe. Parts of Swann's Way are among the best writing I've ever read. I was kicking myself for not reading it sooner.

2. Roberto Bolano's Savage Detectives

3. Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.

It's more of choice between continuing with Proust or taking a break to read #2 or #3.

Tough call. Proust is amazing, but he's a reading-time sink (in a good way).

I usually like to change things up. Some people devour authors: they'll read everything Faulkner wrote, for example, before moving on.

I never do this. If a book really did it for (like Bolano's 2666) I'll keep that author asterisked in my mind, but might not go back for years.

Hence the tough call on Proust.
No question here...go with Blood Meridian.
Is it a quick read like The Road?I liked The Road but found it highly overrated. People say Blood Meridian is better.
:thumbup:

Just finished Swann's Way by Proust and it's a tossup what to read next -

1. Already have a copy of In The Budding Grove, the second part of Proust's In Search of Lost Time. Friends have said it's even better than Part 1. I find that hard to believe. Parts of Swann's Way are among the best writing I've ever read. I was kicking myself for not reading it sooner.

2. Roberto Bolano's Savage Detectives

3. Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.

It's more of choice between continuing with Proust or taking a break to read #2 or #3.

Tough call. Proust is amazing, but he's a reading-time sink (in a good way).

I usually like to change things up. Some people devour authors: they'll read everything Faulkner wrote, for example, before moving on.

I never do this. If a book really did it for (like Bolano's 2666) I'll keep that author asterisked in my mind, but might not go back for years.

Hence the tough call on Proust.
No question here...go with Blood Meridian.
Is it a quick read like The Road?I liked The Road but found it highly overrated. People say Blood Meridian is better.
I would not classify it as a quick read. But it the writing is better, the storytelling is deeper and the characters are unbeatable. The Road is a classic...but it's no Blood Meridian.

I'm proud to count myself a member of the contingent here who hypes Blood Meridian at every chance. It is a great book. I finally just got around to reading Suttree by McCarthy. It was o.k. -- very funny in parts, very humane, and Suttree is a great character. It just ultimately felt a little inconsequential -- basically McCarthy's take on the coming of age novel. Gothic, epic, better than pretty much every other contemporary writer, but not as good as his best stuff.

I also just read a hilarious novel: "How I Became A Famous Novelist." It's a good-hearted satire on the publishing industry, and the more books you read, the funnier the allusions and characterizations of other novelists in the book become. And instead of petering out at the finish like so many of these books do once the gimmick is played out, this one actually comes through with surprising heart and one final meta-joke at the end.

Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. I've got about 50 pages left, and I'm just finishing it to say I finished it. It chronicles the return of a human raised on Mars to Earth and his interactions with the folks here.

The first half was OK, but then it degenerates into descriptions of the Martian's new polygamy-based religion interspersed with a series of lectures on sex and religion from Heinlein via his stand-in, a character that (unimaginatively enough) is also an author.

I am definitely disappointed as I've seen this billed as a sci-fi classic.
It's a classic. Period. But its classification as such doesn't mean everyone will like it. I'd guess, based on your comments, that you take exception to the relative immorality of the "polygamy-based religion."

That's not what it is. At all.

Read it again. But this time, leave your own religion out of it.

Next up: Friday Night Lights
Post your thoughts afterward, best friend recommended it to me as one of the best books he ever read. Took me two years to finish it :confused:
I'll jump in here as I really liked this book. If you're from a part of the country where high school football isn't king like I am, then it's an eye-opening read. If you're from someplace like Odessa, then it'll make you want to kill Buzz Bissinger. He did a great job looking at the politics surrounding Permian football, the financial and racial inequities and the lack of concern for the kids' (both football players and non-football players) futures. Mixed in was the personal conflict he developed of liking the individuals, both players and adults, with whom he came in contact over the course of the season.One of my all time favorites.

I also just started "The Princess Bride." Loved the movie, and I was always curious how close the movie was to the book. I've only gotten through the introduction and most of Chapter 1 last night, but the author's introduction was worth the price of the book right there. Great story on how he discovered the original book, how he came to write the abridged version, and how it ties to the movie. Very interesting.

I also just started "The Princess Bride." Loved the movie, and I was always curious how close the movie was to the book. I've only gotten through the introduction and most of Chapter 1 last night, but the author's introduction was worth the price of the book right there. Great story on how he discovered the original book, how he came to write the abridged version, and how it ties to the movie. Very interesting.
:mellow: Never knew it was really a book. :clueless:

Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. I've got about 50 pages left, and I'm just finishing it to say I finished it. It chronicles the return of a human raised on Mars to Earth and his interactions with the folks here.

The first half was OK, but then it degenerates into descriptions of the Martian's new polygamy-based religion interspersed with a series of lectures on sex and religion from Heinlein via his stand-in, a character that (unimaginatively enough) is also an author.

It's a classic. Period. But its classification as such doesn't mean everyone will like it. I'd guess, based on your comments, that you take exception to the relative immorality of the "polygamy-based religion."

I have no moral objections to anything in Stranger, and I'm not religious at all. My objections are to the literary/entertainment aspects of the book.I just don't find the writing all that good, the story compelling, the characters interesting, or the social commentary insightful. The book did better when it focused on the story than when it shifted gears and had people start speaking in soliloquys after the Martian went off to see the world. Even when it was more focused on the storyline, the characterization was pretty weak IMO.

Anyways, since my original post, I still haven't made the time to take on the last 50 pages, and I usually enjoy reading fiction. Anyways, I definitely don't feel that this book merits another read.

I have no moral objections to anything in Stranger, and I'm not religious at all. My objections are to the literary/entertainment aspects of the book.I just don't find the writing all that good, the story compelling, the characters interesting, or the social commentary insightful. The book did better when it focused on the story than when it shifted gears and had people start speaking in soliloquys after the Martian went off to see the world. Even when it was more focused on the storyline, the characterization was pretty weak IMO.

Anyways, since my original post, I still haven't made the time to take on the last 50 pages, and I usually enjoy reading fiction. Anyways, I definitely don't feel that this book merits another read.
I'm with you. Read this going in with high expectations due to people saying it's a 'classic', was very underwhelmed by it. Heinlein had an interesting idea and then just let it devolve into some weird pseudo cult based on 'if it's feels good do it'. The characters were never really fleshed out, the conclusion was lacking, and it just seemed like I had wasted my time when I was done.Of course, perhaps I just didn't grok it.

I know that someone will take my man card for this, but I must be the only one that didn't like Blood Meridian. Tried two different times to read it and only made it about 150 pages before it bored me. Loved The Road and NCFOM. :shrug:

I know that someone will take my man card for this, but I must be the only one that didn't like Blood Meridian. Tried two different times to read it and only made it about 150 pages before it bored me. Loved The Road and NCFOM. :thumbup:
I couldn't get through 100 pages, as I've stated before. I've yet to try reading any of his other books.

I know that someone will take my man card for this, but I must be the only one that didn't like Blood Meridian. Tried two different times to read it and only made it about 150 pages before it bored me. Loved The Road and NCFOM. :thumbup:
I couldn't get through 100 pages, as I've stated before. I've yet to try reading any of his other books.
+1 It bored me.Also loved Road and NCFOM.

Both of those Blood Meridian comments are not surprising. The book is very difficult, confusing, wordy, etc in the beginning...it's very easy to get lost and that feeling that you need to re-read each page to 'get' something out of them is pretty frustrating. It's difficult just to know who is talking at many points. Trust me though...plow through that. Don't feel like you're 'missing' anything if you read 5 pages and feel like you couldn't give a recap of 1 single thing from those 5 pages. It'll make sense and it'll 'feel' right in short order.

The Road and No Country are much, MUCH more 'accessible'. You can dive right in and be hooked within 10 pages. Meridian is more laborious...but the payoff is better. In my opinion, Meridian is deeper, has more developed characters and themes that are much more interesting and discussion worthy than The Road or No Country.

Both of those Blood Meridian comments are not surprising. The book is very difficult, confusing, wordy, etc in the beginning...it's very easy to get lost and that feeling that you need to re-read each page to 'get' something out of them is pretty frustrating. It's difficult just to know who is talking at many points. Trust me though...plow through that. Don't feel like you're 'missing' anything if you read 5 pages and feel like you couldn't give a recap of 1 single thing from those 5 pages. It'll make sense and it'll 'feel' right in short order. The Road and No Country are much, MUCH more 'accessible'. You can dive right in and be hooked within 10 pages. Meridian is more laborious...but the payoff is better. In my opinion, Meridian is deeper, has more developed characters and themes that are much more interesting and discussion worthy than The Road or No Country.
Two of my favorite books of all time are "Blood Meridian" and "Infinite Jest." I couldn't get into either of them until the third or fourth time I tried to read them. Especially for IJ, it felt like going up to altitude a couple of times before finally making a try for the summit. Also, I read some of David Foster Wallace's essays to get me into his style of writing, and that helped me over the top.As much as I love Blood Meridian (and I'm not going to abbreviate it like I did Infinite Jest), I don't like to see people dismissing The Road in comparison to it. To me, The Road is incredibly powerful. While it might not be the literary accompishment that Blood Meridian is, it is also far more moving. They are both tremendous, just in different ways.The next book that I'm going to try for the third or fourth time to read is Pynchon's "Mason & Dixon." I really liked Gravity's Rainbow and powered right through it, but M&D seems to hang me up every time for some reason.

Both of those Blood Meridian comments are not surprising. The book is very difficult, confusing, wordy, etc in the beginning...it's very easy to get lost and that feeling that you need to re-read each page to 'get' something out of them is pretty frustrating. It's difficult just to know who is talking at many points. Trust me though...plow through that. Don't feel like you're 'missing' anything if you read 5 pages and feel like you couldn't give a recap of 1 single thing from those 5 pages. It'll make sense and it'll 'feel' right in short order. The Road and No Country are much, MUCH more 'accessible'. You can dive right in and be hooked within 10 pages. Meridian is more laborious...but the payoff is better. In my opinion, Meridian is deeper, has more developed characters and themes that are much more interesting and discussion worthy than The Road or No Country.
Yeah, I may try again some day. And I agree that it's pretty inaccessible, although I made it through Gravity's Rainbow, so I can read bat#### crazy stuff. :kicksrock:Glad to see I'm not the only one, anyway.

just started World War Z
Just finishing this up, I loved it. Alot of great dramatic set pieces throughout the different narratives.
I just finished this as well, and loved it. I always liked Studs Terkel, and thought the gimmick of using his style to write about a fictional future zombie apocalypse was brilliant. Can't wait for the movie either...Now I'm trying to dive into Mark Bowden's Guests of the Ayatollah, about the 1980 Iran hostage crisis. So far it's not grabbing me like a couple of his other books have, namely Killing Pablo and Black Hawk Down.
Will be interested to read your take on it.

I've avoided it to this point because of some tepid reviews when it first came out. But with everything going on in Iran right now and some things I've seen recently on Cronkite's coverage of the hostage crisis I've had my interest renewed.
Meh. Read a couple chapters then put it down, may revisit later. Trying to get into Collapse by Jared Diamond currently, though with a toddler and a newborn in the house, reading is a challenge.

The_Man said:
Tough As Nails said:
Both of those Blood Meridian comments are not surprising. The book is very difficult, confusing, wordy, etc in the beginning...it's very easy to get lost and that feeling that you need to re-read each page to 'get' something out of them is pretty frustrating. It's difficult just to know who is talking at many points. Trust me though...plow through that. Don't feel like you're 'missing' anything if you read 5 pages and feel like you couldn't give a recap of 1 single thing from those 5 pages. It'll make sense and it'll 'feel' right in short order.

The Road and No Country are much, MUCH more 'accessible'. You can dive right in and be hooked within 10 pages. Meridian is more laborious...but the payoff is better. In my opinion, Meridian is deeper, has more developed characters and themes that are much more interesting and discussion worthy than The Road or No Country.
Two of my favorite books of all time are "Blood Meridian" and "Infinite Jest." I couldn't get into either of them until the third or fourth time I tried to read them. Especially for IJ, it felt like going up to altitude a couple of times before finally making a try for the summit. Also, I read some of David Foster Wallace's essays to get me into his style of writing, and that helped me over the top.As much as I love Blood Meridian (and I'm not going to abbreviate it like I did Infinite Jest), I don't like to see people dismissing The Road in comparison to it. To me, The Road is incredibly powerful. While it might not be the literary accompishment that Blood Meridian is, it is also far more moving. They are both tremendous, just in different ways.

The next book that I'm going to try for the third or fourth time to read is Pynchon's "Mason & Dixon." I really liked Gravity's Rainbow and powered right through it, but M&D seems to hang me up every time for some reason.
Well, I actually made it through Mason and Dixon, though I felt like I was running the gauntlet. I was SO relieved to be through it when I finished. It wasn't pleasurable...it was work. Maybe I'm just not cut out for "modern literature."

I've never felt dread in a book like the scene in the survivalist bunker in "The Road." Great storytelling there. I could just feel evil encroaching in on their little piece of heaven.

Dennis Lehane's A Drink Before the War: Entertaining detective novel with the same central characters as his later work, Gone Baby Gone. Somewhat cliched, but the leads are likable, and the author has a gritty and honest take on race and politics in an inner city setting (Boston). I wasn't surprised to find out that in addition to writing the novels that became the movies Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River, he also wrote a few episodes of The Wire.

Anyways, I have Lehane's Shutter Island and will be taking that on sometime soon. It has also apparently been adapted to film.

Just finished two books by Dimitri Verhulst:

- Problemski Hotel:

Short stories about the life of asylum seeker in a asylum seekers centre in Belgium.

- Madam Verona Comes Down the Hill:

A widow looks back at here life, and tells funny and sad anecdote about the small village she lives in.

both very well written. I liked Problemski Hotel a little better but both are worth to read.

Currently reading Heinrich Mann: Man of Straw/Loyal Subject; good so fare abut a litte bit to slow. Maybe it picks up.

Finished Speaker of the Dead last night. I really enjoyed it.

I started The Gone Away World this morning on recommendations in here.
let me know what you think...I really enjoyed it, but the reviews have been mixed.
I only got a chance to finish the first chapter yesterday, but so far I found myself rereading a couple of paragraphs. I don't know if I'm just getting used to how the book is written or if I was just kind of in a funk. Its been interesting so far at least.
The first chapter is kind of misleading. Out-of-place might be a better description I suppose. Anyway...stick with it. Entertaining book.
Been kind of busy lately, finished the book last night. I really enjoyed it. It was good, fun story to read. I liked the author's sense of humor.

pantagrapher said:
kupcho1 said:
Taking Invisible Man and Giles Goat Boy to the beach next week.
I think I'm gonna tackle GGB after I finish up Sot-Weed Factor. You ever read Chimera? That one sounds pretty interesting, too.
Invisible Man and Chimera both get ;)

I'm proud to count myself a member of the contingent here who hypes Blood Meridian at every chance. It is a great book. I finally just got around to reading Suttree by McCarthy. It was o.k. -- very funny in parts, very humane, and Suttree is a great character. It just ultimately felt a little inconsequential -- basically McCarthy's take on the coming of age novel. Gothic, epic, better than pretty much every other contemporary writer, but not as good as his best stuff.

I also just read a hilarious novel: "How I Became A Famous Novelist." It's a good-hearted satire on the publishing industry, and the more books you read, the funnier the allusions and characterizations of other novelists in the book become. And instead of petering out at the finish like so many of these books do once the gimmick is played out, this one actually comes through with surprising heart and one final meta-joke at the end.
Have read everything that McCarthy has written, but...just could not get into Suttree. Abandoned it about 100 pages in. It is a "struggle" to read some of his prose and the payoff wasn't worth it.Loved the other early books, though.

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie - Great fantasy. Some of the best I've ever read. It's a very character-centric story told from six POVs. Violent, gritty, bleak; great from the first page to the last. Oh yeah, and it's complete. Big bonus points for that.

The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright - Top-notch book on al-Qaeda and the road to 9/11. Prepare to be frustrated by too many people sitting on their hands with information that may have led down an entirely different path. Also, IMO, Wright does a great job of staying out of the party politics side of the issue. Seemingly a very objective approach.

Just finished Imperial Life In The Emerald City by Rajiv Chandrasekaran. A pretty no holds barred look at life inside Iraq's green zone shortly after the occupation up to the turn over of the country from the CPA (Coalition Provincial Authority) to the Iraqi's. The missteps and in some cases complete disregard for the situation on the ground have been fairly well documented but it still never ceases to amaze me the incompetence of the many and the persistence of the few to accomplish what they could in the time they were given.

In the spirit of how I received this book (from my GB Britney Spears who offered it to me, he is on the West coast, I'm on the East coast) I will ship this to anyone interested in it. Shoot me a PM with pertinent information and I'll drop it in the mail to you when I can, probably this week or next.

Finally getting my way through The World is Flat by Friedman.
Interested in your opinion on that one. Worth your time or did it just feel like a article/thought turned into a book?
Just finished Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by Perkins. Anyone else read this? Fascinating stuff.
Just started this - sounds interesting. Met an Iranian girl in a bar that recommended it.
That one caught my eye as well. Is the book an exaggerated memoir or roman a clef?

just started World War Z
Just finishing this up, I loved it. Alot of great dramatic set pieces throughout the different narratives.
I just finished this as well, and loved it. I always liked Studs Terkel, and thought the gimmick of using his style to write about a fictional future zombie apocalypse was brilliant. Can't wait for the movie either...
Loved World War Z. Had no interest but multiple coworkers praised it until I gave it a chance. Very glad I did. Quick read that captures you with a gritty realism within the world created.
I picked up "The Blind Side" to take on my vacation. I'll report back with a review.
Michael Lewis is a great author. I liked Liar's Poker, loved Moneyball, and also really enjoy many of his articles (especially one on New Orleans after the Hurricane and his recent breakdown of Shane Battier's impact on a basketball game). Blind Side is right in my wheelhouse and I enjoyed it. It's not as well written as Moneyball and won't capture you like many of his articles but it's worth a read if you have enjoyed any of his previous work.
Invisible Man is one of the few books I was unable to get through. Someday I'll give it another shot but for now it sits on my book shelf like an albatross. Did you make it through?

Finished up 1632 last night. Highly recommend to anyone that hasn't already done so. May have been the most entertaining book I've read all summer. Couldn't wait to start 1633 this morning...

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie - Great fantasy. Some of the best I've ever read. It's a very character-centric story told from six POVs. Violent, gritty, bleak; great from the first page to the last. Oh yeah, and it's complete. Big bonus points for that.

The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright - Top-notch book on al-Qaeda and the road to 9/11. Prepare to be frustrated by too many people sitting on their hands with information that may have led down an entirely different path. Also, IMO, Wright does a great job of staying out of the party politics side of the issue. Seemingly a very objective approach.
Glad you liked the Looming Tower. Agree that he did a very good job not blaming a particular party, but assuming that he was truly objective, and there's no reason to think he wasn't, I think it was clear that the CIA should take a whole lot of the blame, certainly more than the FBI, Clinton, Bush or anyone else. Geez, what arrogant jackasses they seemed to be.

Just finished Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by Perkins. Anyone else read this? Fascinating stuff.
Just started this - sounds interesting. Met an Iranian girl in a bar that recommended it.
That one caught my eye as well. Is the book an exaggerated memoir or roman a clef?
I think it was more of a roman a clef, but I guess it really depends on whether or not you believe the author. It's not a subject matter than you can easily research yourself and it's not like **** Cheney is giving detailed, honest talks on Halliburton. He does have a bit of an excitement for "getting out of the business" throughout the book, which may grate on you. I would say that this book might lean a little more toward exxaggerated memoir, although I buy the general stories, and his second book, The Secret History of the American Empire, is much closer to a roman a clef.

Finished up 1632 last night. Highly recommend to anyone that hasn't already done so. May have been the most entertaining book I've read all summer. Couldn't wait to start 1633 this morning...
Good to know. It seemed to get some bad reviews on Amazon, but sounded good to me. Thanks!

Just finished World War Z and Killing Pablo. Both were great, thanks for the recommendations. Z in particular was just a fantastic slice of a"dark future". And I thought Bowden did a great job going over the whole rise and fall of Escobar.

I'd like to pick up another Bowden. Which is better, Ayatollah or Doctor Dealer?

Invisible Man is one of the few books I was unable to get through. Someday I'll give it another shot but for now it sits on my book shelf like an albatross. Did you make it through?
Just got back from the future, and yes, I do make it through the book next week. :)
My literacy skills are not up to snuff (in the book thread). :thumbup: Good luck.

:pickle:

Need to get back on the reading wagon, it's been too long without a good book that kept me interested. I'll use this thread as a guide for my next trip to the library.

ConstruxBoy said:

Glad you liked the Looming Tower. Agree that he did a very good job not blaming a particular party, but assuming that he was truly objective, and there's no reason to think he wasn't, I think it was clear that the CIA should take a whole lot of the blame, certainly more than the FBI, Clinton, Bush or anyone else. Geez, what arrogant jackasses they seemed to be.
I completely agree. And I'm sure there are some wonderful reasons for the current system, but it makes me wonder if we wouldn't be better off with just one integrated organization combining the two. Especially since they seem to blurring their lines over the last several years.

Just read one of my son's young adult books, "The Hunger Games," which is totally compelling. It's pretty much "The Running Man" meets "Lord of the Flies." I highly recommend it. The sequel is due out next week.

Users who are viewing this thread