What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (3 Viewers)

Am slowly working my way through the GOT series, 3/4 through book 2, hope to use my christmas vacation to kick most of book 3.

Anyways, have been on a comedy book audio-kick lately, here are four I've made it through and my grades. All were read by their authors:

Why we suck - Dennis Leary - Grade B: typical Leary ranting with some personal stories mixed in. Entertaining

I Drink for a reason - David Cross - Grade B: I really enjoy intelligent and quirky humor, which Cross delivers, sometimes very randomly, throughout the book. Most random chapters and hodge-podge stories and exerpts of the four, some hit, some miss the mark but mostly entertaining.

Bossypants - Tina Fey - Grade C: very feminist slant on working as a female in the entertainment/comedy business. I like Tina, but it wasn't very funny.

Bedwetter - Sarah Silverman - Grade C-: I like Silverman's style of intelligent, potty humor, but this book was mostly about her life coming from a middleclass family with a long section on her bedwetting which was pretty serious and sad. The book wasn't that funny, but some sections on her relationsship and stories with other comics, such as Dave Attell and Louis C.K. were funny at times.

Upcoming audiobooks in this genre I haven't gotten my hands on yet will be: Zombie Spaceship Wasteland (Patton Oswalt), and Skanks for the Memories (Dave Attell).

The Right to be Wrong - Seamus Hasson

Guy has some interesting ideas. Not sure I agree with all of them, but certainly some food for thought.

Just started The Exorcist. :scared:
Stick with it. It's been awhile, but IIRC, it starts very slow for a pretty long while then really gets rolling. I think the first quarter to a third can be tough sledding. But like I said it's been awhile.I just finished The Passage. I'll read the next book, but not as good as I expected from reading the back cover synopsis.

In the past I month I read a few recent non-fiction titles on health care and diet:

Critical Condition, by Donald Bartlett and James Steele: a couple of Pulitzer-winning investigative journalists examine the American health care system, pre-Obamacare. Predictably, they find a lot wrong. Most of the work is centered on the changes in healthcare that resulted from the increased role that Wall Street played in decision-making starting in the 1980s. I think it was an engaging tutorial on the modern state of American health care but unfortunately because it was written in 2004, it's probably somewhat obsolete.

Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance, by Atul Gawande: This is a collection of essays grouped under broad subject categories that includes topics such as hospital infection control, Third World healthcare, and the ethical dilemmas facing physicians that assist with executions. Gawande is a thoughtful guy, his writing style simple and direct, but I think this collection would have been better served by eliminating spurious subject the headings. Some real insight could have been plumbed from some of the stories beyond trying to connect them to 'diligence' or 'ingenuity'.

The Jungle Effect: A Doctor Discovers the Healthiest Diets from Around the World, by Daphne Miller: I picked this up from the library after seeing it recommended in one of the Paleo/Primal diet threads. Here, Dr. Miller makes the case that the ancestral diets of certain disease 'cold spots' - places where modern disease occur much less frequently than average - are central to the health of those local populations. It's pretty convincing stuff, as she seamlessly connects anecdotes from people living in these areas with citations to scientific studies showing the benefits of particular nutrients that are enriched in the 'cold spot' diets (Omega-3 fats, for example).

The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan: Pollan writes like a star of literary fiction, and even though his topic here has by now been covered ad nauseum by several other books and documentaries (Food Inc, King Corn, etc.), this is still worth the read. I did get a little bored during his philosophical ramblings in the lead-up to his hunting experiences, but the first and second sections in particular are an incisive treatment of what is wrong with the American food production system and also how it can be improved.

Just finished Free Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy. In a nutshell, a non-fiction book on how helicopter parents are doing it wrong by worrying about the wrong kinds of risk. The philosophy of the book lines right up with my parenting belief, so I knew I wouldn't gain much from it, but I hoped that it shared info or stats about the real risks. It did, but I had to wade through a lot of preachiness and cutesy writing to get there. I recommend the philosophy advocated by the book, but wouldn't recommend the book.

Last night, I just figured out how to get Kindle books from my library onto my iPad while sitting on my couch. With that, just started Ready Player One reco'd by this thread.

Just finished Free Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy. In a nutshell, a non-fiction book on how helicopter parents are doing it wrong by worrying about the wrong kinds of risk. The philosophy of the book lines right up with my parenting belief, so I knew I wouldn't gain much from it, but I hoped that it shared info or stats about the real risks. It did, but I had to wade through a lot of preachiness and cutesy writing to get there. I recommend the philosophy advocated by the book, but wouldn't recommend the book.

Last night, I just figured out how to get Kindle books from my library onto my iPad while sitting on my couch. With that, just started Ready Player One reco'd by this thread.
This looks interesting. So what are some of the "real" risks you're alluding to?

'shuke said:
'ODoyleRules said:

This looks interesting. So what are some of the "real" risks you're alluding to?
Basically, fears of abduction (whether at the playground, bus stop or walking to school), dangerous toys, bad TV, tainted halloween candy are way overblown and there is little to worry about. Since the author came into the spotlight for letting her 9 yo kid ride the NYC subway by himself, the book focuses on abduction risks. On this risk, kids are 40x more likely to get killed in a car crash than be abducted by a stranger. And, if you wanted to get your kid abducted and put him on a random street corner, you'd have to wait about 25,000 days for that to happen (I need to double check this stat, but its an absurdly long time). It's not out to dismiss that there aren't some risks out there, but there's no reason for kids to live a sheltered life fearing an event that is extremely rare and random.

Just finished King's Dead Zone. Thought it was ok, but nothing great. I'm surprised to see a lot of people around here citing it as one of their favorite King books.

Next up: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Just finished King's Dead Zone. Thought it was ok, but nothing great. I'm surprised to see a lot of people around here citing it as one of their favorite King books.

Next up: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Word from the wife is the first 50 pages are really meh, then it picks up and doesn't let you go.My reading time has suffered with a video game addiction flare-up.

I'm still working through Oblivion by DFW.

I ordered a copy of The Book of Evidence by John Banville almost a month ago and still haven't cracked the spine. This needs to happen, ASAP.

Currently reading The Sound And The Fury. I haven't been this confused since reading Ulysses.
The Benjy and Quentin sections are incredibly confusing (intentionally) but you need to embrace that going in. Faulkner attempts to get inside the mind of someone with no concept of time, and someone on the verge of suicide. The first time you read the book you should probably use sparknotes or something to help you understand the first 2 sections. It's well worth it though, because the book is incredible.
It was very good. I did end up using Sparknotes which helped a lot.Next up, Moby ****.
Only half way in at this point and this may be the most boring book ever.

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Good stuff. First book in a new series and one I'll definitely catch more of. Great characters and really well-done setting. It will be interesting to see where it goes in volume two.

Dead Man's Walk & Comanche Moon - Interesting but nothing special. They did a good job of putting the relationship between Gus and Call into perspective (particularly Dead Man's Walk). However I found it difficult to understand how they got such reputations as tremendous Texas Rangers.

They had something like two direct encounters with any of the principle "bad guys", Ahumado, Buffalo Hump, Kicking Wolf, Blue Duck and all of them, except Blue Duck, died of old age. And the Indians pretty much got the better of the Rangers at every turn. I am sure Gus and Call handled the routine cattle rustlers, horse thieves, bandits & Indians with great skill but I would have thought they would have taken down at least one 'Boss' level character.
I guess it's more because they survived than anything else.

I am still unclear on Call's underlying motivation for the way he treated Maggie. It was arbitrary and cruel although it makes his personality in LD more understandable.

Also these books were significantly more violent than Lonesome Dove. By orders of magnitude. The tortures the Indians employ and the general misogyny were painted in vivid detail and plausibility. I found that to be very uncomfortable, even gratuitous, at times. In contrast to what I said about the decent entertainment value of the violence in The Hunger Games (post 4590) the violence in these books were far more difficult to read simply because they have a basis in reality unlike The Hunger Games.

If you're a fan of the series, they are worth a read but don't expect to recapture the magic of Lonesome Dove. I still haven't read Streets of Laredo but I'll get to it at some point soon.
Streets is as grim as the others. I'm with you as both are so bleak, they're hard to read. The writing itself is great, but damn I winced a bunch reading 'em. I originally read them in the order published, then did a reread a few years ago in chronological (for the story) order. Man oh man, McMurtry must have either been going through some crazy stuff he needed to bleed out or he's just a seriously messed up dude.Also agree that they don't match up to Dove but, then again, no other novel does either. The more I read (& I ain't hard to please), the more I'm convinced it's the Great American Novel.
I got to meet him. I spent about 15 mins talking with him. He comes across as a cranky old man. He has a rep of being an ###. Others that have had any interaction with him were surprised I lasted as long as I did.I just read "Empire of the Summer Moon", it is a good read and tells of the rise and fall of the Comanche Nation. It tells the story from the Fort Parker raid, captive Cynthia Parker and how her half-breed son Quanah Parker rose to prominence. A good look at the Texas Oklahoma Indian wars. There is some mention of the Texas Rangers and Charles Goodnight.

Haven't had the attention span that I normally do for books lately, and when that happens I will turn to recommended books from the 'young adult' section like HP and The Hunger Games. Was catching on my AV podcast lately and one of them highly recommend the Chaos Walking trilogy. I started The Knife of Never Letting Go over the weekend, and am digging it quite a bit so far.

Haven't had the attention span that I normally do for books lately, and when that happens I will turn to recommended books from the 'young adult' section like HP and The Hunger Games. Was catching on my AV podcast lately and one of them highly recommend the Chaos Walking trilogy. I started The Knife of Never Letting Go over the weekend, and am digging it quite a bit so far.
This looks interesting. Added to my wishlist. Thanks for mentioning it.

Currently reading The Sound And The Fury. I haven't been this confused since reading Ulysses.
The Benjy and Quentin sections are incredibly confusing (intentionally) but you need to embrace that going in. Faulkner attempts to get inside the mind of someone with no concept of time, and someone on the verge of suicide. The first time you read the book you should probably use sparknotes or something to help you understand the first 2 sections. It's well worth it though, because the book is incredible.
It was very good. I did end up using Sparknotes which helped a lot.Next up, Moby ****.
You've made it further than I ever did in Moby ****. I got about 50 pages into it before putting it down. Agree that it might be the most boring book I've ever attempted reading, and Melville is a pretty awful writer. Not sure why it's considered a classic.

You've made it further than I ever did in Moby ****. I got about 50 pages into it before putting it down. Agree that it might be the most boring book I've ever attempted reading, and Melville is a pretty awful writer. Not sure why it's considered a classic.
I had to read this on assignment when I was in high school. I finished it but, my God, was it a tough go. Melville goes off on distracting asides dozens of pages long that really add nothing to the story or reading experience. There's a good 300 page novel hidden in there somewhere, but damned if I could find it.

Good stuff. First book in a new series and one I'll definitely catch more of. Great characters and really well-done setting. It will be interesting to see where it goes in volume two.
I must have picked up this book and read the back cover at least 10 times. Good to hear someone promote it. It might make me finally pull the trigger.

But a great option in fantasy that minimizes the magic is the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Magic plays a very small role and the books focus much more on the characters. There are slightly less political machinations in Abercrombie's books, but more action and a faster moving story. He does carry the 'gray' characters that Martin is so famous for, where there is no such thing as pure evil or pure good. Plus, the series is done. And Logen is the best fantasy character I have ever read, with Glokta not all that far behind.
Enjoyed these, too. Loved Glokta. Think there's a prequel or sequel or two out there now, though, with Logen, isn't there? Haven't gotten to them yet.Given what shuke has said he's liked elsewhere in the thread, I think he'd like First Law. I think there are some parallels to both Martin and King in Abercrombie's trilogy.
He's written two stand-alone sequels and is working on a third. I think it's important to read them in publication order as there is definitely tie-in from one to the next, but outside of the trilogy his other stuff has self-contained stories. I like that he is also using a different style/approach with each of the follow-ons. The trilogy is your classic big quest story (though different in several great ways). Then his stand-alones have been a revenge story (Best Served Cold), a war story (The Heroes), and coming soon a western-style story (Red Country). Really great stuff.

I must have picked up this book and read the back cover at least 10 times. Good to hear someone promote it. It might make me finally pull the trigger.
I don’t really care for sci-fi that gets hung up on the concept or technology at the expense of the story. In this book, humans have found an engine that has enough power to send us beyond the asteroid belt to Saturn but not yet further. The author doesn't really spend any time explaining how this engine works. They just take it as a matter of course and tell their story. I haven't seen many books that use this area of space exploration. Most of the epic stuff out there starts with humans spread all over the galaxy/universe. I like that this series has us confined to our solar system.

I had to read this on assignment when I was in high school. I finished it but, my God, was it a tough go. Melville goes off on distracting asides dozens of pages long that really add nothing to the story or reading experience. There's a good 300 page novel hidden in there somewhere, but damned if I could find it.
I had to read it for American Lit in college. I couldn't even stand the cliff notes. I guessed and got a B.

The Big Short by Michael Lewis

I've never quite embraced Lewis like a lot of other folks out there seem to. I like pretty much everything he writes (though Liar's Poker wasn't very good) but he doesn't completely pull me in like Krakauer does. Having said that, this book might just be his best yet. I still recall my finance prof giving us his interpretation of what was happening during the 2008 bloodbath every week in class, so I feel that I'm quite a bit more informed than I might have otherwise been. Even with a good amount of knowledge of what went down, this book had such great characters that I think it would stand up whether you knew everything there was to know about the collapse or were totally ignorant. Very engaging. Right there with Moneyball in terms of character development.

Has anyone read Boomerang? Any good?

I don’t really care for sci-fi that gets hung up on the concept or technology at the expense of the story. In this book, humans have found an engine that has enough power to send us beyond the asteroid belt to Saturn but not yet further. The author doesn't really spend any time explaining how this engine works. They just take it as a matter of course and tell their story. I haven't seen many books that use this area of space exploration. Most of the epic stuff out there starts with humans spread all over the galaxy/universe. I like that this series has us confined to our solar system.
This is what really makes me interested in reading it. Feels like human space travel might actually be plausible to those distances in the distant future (well, as plausible as a book like this can make it sound anyway).

buzzed through Ready Player One last weekend. an easy read and quite entertaining. seems like a perfect fit for a big budget hollywood movie and i think i'd like to see it on the big screen. liked the book overall but felt like it could have been meatier. the poster who said it is really more like a young-adult book nailed it. NTTIAWWT.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Here's a snippet from the NYT review:

I dare you not to fall in love with Ready Player One. And I mean head over heels in love--the way you fall for someone who is smart, feisty, and who can effortlessly finish your favorite movie lines, music lyrics, or literature quotes before they come out of your mouth.

Ready Player One expertly mines a copious vein of 1980s pop culture, catapulting the reader on a light-speed adventure in an advanced but backward-looking future.

The story is set in a near-term future in which the new, new form of the Internet is a realistic virtual multi-verse called the OASIS. Most human interaction takes place via goggles and gloves in millions of unique worlds, including the boring (and free) “public education” world from which our teenage protagonist must escape.

Our unlikely hero is an overweight trailer park kid who goes by Wade Watts in real life, and “Parzival” to his best friends and mortal enemies--all of whom he interacts with virtually. Just like the Arthurian knight that is his namesake, young Wade is on a quest for an incredible treasure guarded by mythical creatures. Specifically, the creator of the OASIS and richest man on the planet, James Halliday, stipulated in his will that his fortune be given to the first person who can find an “Easter egg” hidden somewhere in the OASIS. The catch? Every devilishly complex clue on this treasure hunt is rooted in an intimate knowledge of 1980s pop culture.

This leaves the people of the future hilariously obsessed with every aspect of the 1980s. The setup is particularly brilliant, because Ernie Cline seems to have a laser-beam knowledge of (and warm, fuzzy love for) every pop song, arcade game, and giant robot produced in the last thirty years. Seriously, this is a guy who owns and regularly drives a 1982 DeLorean that has been mocked up to look exactly like the time-traveling car in Back to the Future, complete with a glowing flux capacitor.

But Ready Player One isn’t just a fanboy’s wet dream. Real villains are lurking, threatening our hero with death in their ruthless hunt for the treasure. Worse, these corporate baddies are posers with no love for the game – they have movie dialogue piped in via radio earpieces, use bots to cheat at arcade games like JOUST, and don’t hesitate to terrorize or murder people in the real world to achieve their aims inside the OASIS.

As the book climaxes, a mega-battle unfolds with sobering life-or-death stakes, yet soldiered entirely by exciting and downright fun pop-culture icons. The bad guys are piloting a ferocious Mechagodzilla. Our good guy has to leave his X-Wing fighter aboard his private flotilla so that he can pilot an authentic Ultraman recreation. And how do you not grin when someone dons a pair of virtual Chuck Taylor All Stars that bestow the power of flight?

Cline is fearless and he lets his imagination soar, yet this pop scenery could easily come off as so much fluff. Instead, Cline keeps the stakes high throughout, and the epic treasure hunt structure (complete with an evolving high-score list) keeps the action intense. The plot unfolds with constant acceleration, never slowing down or sagging in the middle, to create a thrilling ride with a fulfilling ending.

Best of all, the book captures the aura of the manifold worlds it depicts. If Ready Player One were a living room, it would be wood-panelled. If it were shoes, it would be high-tops. And if it were a song, well, it would have to be Eye of the Tiger.

I really, really loved it.

Also just read The Walking Dead from issue 1-88 (gotta love torrents) in about a week. Highly Recommended. Michonne is a f'n BADASS.

I read Moby **** in its entirety about 5 years ago and it did nothing for me. I was mad at myself afterwards for not quitting on it.

Just finished rereading Crime and Punishment and I can heartily recommend that one for a "classic" experience. Dostoevsky can describe the human condition like no other author I've ever read.

I just started on The girl with the dragon tattoo. Are the 2nd and 3rd novels pretty good?

I read Moby **** in its entirety about 5 years ago and it did nothing for me. I was mad at myself afterwards for not quitting on it.

Just finished rereading Crime and Punishment and I can heartily recommend that one for a "classic" experience. Dostoevsky can describe the human condition like no other author I've ever read.

I just started on The girl with the dragon tattoo. Are the 2nd and 3rd novels pretty good?
I finally finished Moby ****. It never got better.I enjoyed Crime and Punishment but would rate The Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot ahead of it.

I am just finishing up The Picture Of Dorian Gray and have found it very interesting.

Looking for some suggestions for short story collections. Never really read any, but lately I have been busy and find myself not finishing books. Thought this might be a good idea since I could read a story or two before bed. Just picked up Brave New Worlds which has stories about dystopian societies. Been a few stories in there that I have liked so far. What else would you recommend - doesn't have to be a certain genre, as I am up for most anything.

Has "A Time To Betray" by Reza Khalili been mentioned in here yet? Finished it last week. One of the best books I've read in the last 10 years.

Looking for some suggestions for short story collections. Never really read any, but lately I have been busy and find myself not finishing books. Thought this might be a good idea since I could read a story or two before bed. Just picked up Brave New Worlds which has stories about dystopian societies. Been a few stories in there that I have liked so far. What else would you recommend - doesn't have to be a certain genre, as I am up for most anything.
You could always pick up an anthology type of thing. For example, one I liked was My Favorite Horror Story, which was a collection of short stories picked by some of the top authors in the horror genre, with a preface by each why they liked it.Joe R. Lansdale has some decent collections, and his genre is difficult to pinpoint. Not really high brow lit, just good story telling.

If you want to be blown away by the "modern day Poe", try Thomas Ligotti.

9 Stories, Salinger The Girl With Curious Hair, David Foster Wallace

Cathedral, Raymond Carver

Can't go wrong with any of them.

So 2011 was my worst reading year ever. Mainly due to work craziness, but also some laziness. Devoted to turn it around in 2012. Goal is 100 books this year. Bought a kindle, which will help when commuting and traveling.

Starting off with a recent bio of TE Lawrence and a collection of Don Delillo short stories.

Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts is really good. The title is a little misleading as it's not a bunch of traditional ghost/horror stories, but would probably be better-described with "speculative fiction" (which is damned near as meaningless a term as "alternative" is to music). Hill writes really well and there are some stories in this book that are among the creepiest/touching/odd I've ever read. The "boxes" & um..."balloon" stories give me chills just thing about them.

James Joyce's Dubliners and Ha Jin's The Bridgegroom are a couple of my favorite short story collections.

It took me about five months, but I finally finished reading Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy. Took a long time to get through, but well worth it. Most of the Civil War stuff I've read focused on the eastern theatre, and only some of the bigger battles in the west. Loved the detail that Foote applied to all of the battles.

Over the holidays, read The Big Scrum: How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football. I love Teddy Roosevelt and football; so, I thought would be a perfect combo, but I was kind of disappointed. The book probably could have been done in an article. The act of TR "saving football" is only a few pages in the book. TR does not even graduate college until about halfway through the book. But my view is as someone who has read Edmund Morris and several other books about TR, so someone who has not read a lot about TR may find it more interesting, as I feel like most of the book was recounting stuff I already read/knew.

Also started Destiny of the Republic.

Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts is really good. The title is a little misleading as it's not a bunch of traditional ghost/horror stories, but would probably be better-described with "speculative fiction" (which is damned near as meaningless a term as "alternative" is to music). Hill writes really well and there are some stories in this book that are among the creepiest/touching/odd I've ever read. The "boxes" & um..."balloon" stories give me chills just thing about them.
:blackdot:

buzzed through Ready Player One last weekend. an easy read and quite entertaining. seems like a perfect fit for a big budget hollywood movie and i think i'd like to see it on the big screen. liked the book overall but felt like it could have been meatier. the poster who said it is really more like a young-adult book nailed it. NTTIAWWT.
I gave this book a go and didn't like it that much. Maybe it's because I don't read too much science fiction, but there were so many details that were not believable about the future that I struggled with the credibility of anything. I'm a huge fan of 80's pop culture, but I didn't feel like they made any thing interesting out of the references, besides just a Chris Farley-esque "remember Capn Crunch cereal... that was awesome"

Reading King's 11/22/63. I think King is back on top of his game with this one. His last couple have been 'meh' imo, but I can't put this one down. Can barely keep my eyes open this morning because last night I told myself 'one more chapter and I'll go to bed' about 25 times.

I read a review a while ago on this thread about the book Those Guys Have All The Fun. Basically the history of ESPN. The review said it was a bunch of blowhards telling stories, or something to that effect. While I can't disagree with that, I thought i would give a further review, or some other things to consider.

Yes, there are a ton of blowhards telling 'war stories' about the good ole days, and blah blah blah. And yes, it can get a bit tiring at times. And yes the book is very long but...

If you have the patients to listen to all the blowhard stories, I think there are enough interesting stories, and behind the scenes info that made the book worth it for me. As an example, one of the ESPN employees told a story about covering a baseball game with Tug McGraw, and getting to meet his son Tim before Tim was a major country star. I also felt like there was a lot of 'background' info given regarding particular scandals that allows the reader to piece together some things they may not have understood. They tell the backstory behind ESPN getting MNF, and putting Tony Kornheiser in with the rest of the booth. They explained how that happened, then why it didn't work out. All I can say is, it is one of those situations where I didn't really understand why MNF football with TK failed, but I feel like I have a much better understanding of all the workings behind the scenes, and I found it interesting.

Yes, there is a lot to get through to get to the interesting parts, but I think it was worth it. I have been watching ESPN for 30+ years. There were always things that happened in that span where i was like... WTF? What happened to this guy? Why is this show not on anymore? Who though of that show? How did Tony Realy get on TV? The book answers all those questions and more. Unfortunately, maybe too much more, but I did find it worth the read.

They also have all the background info on just about every scandal that happened at ESPN so there is a bit of a TMZ factor if you are into that. A guilty pleasure of mine I suppose.

I read a review a while ago on this thread about the book Those Guys Have All The Fun. Basically the history of ESPN. The review said it was a bunch of blowhards telling stories, or something to that effect. While I can't disagree with that, I thought i would give a further review, or some other things to consider.

Yes, there are a ton of blowhards telling 'war stories' about the good ole days, and blah blah blah. And yes, it can get a bit tiring at times. And yes the book is very long but...

If you have the patients to listen to all the blowhard stories, I think there are enough interesting stories, and behind the scenes info that made the book worth it for me. As an example, one of the ESPN employees told a story about covering a baseball game with Tug McGraw, and getting to meet his son Tim before Tim was a major country star. I also felt like there was a lot of 'background' info given regarding particular scandals that allows the reader to piece together some things they may not have understood. They tell the backstory behind ESPN getting MNF, and putting Tony Kornheiser in with the rest of the booth. They explained how that happened, then why it didn't work out. All I can say is, it is one of those situations where I didn't really understand why MNF football with TK failed, but I feel like I have a much better understanding of all the workings behind the scenes, and I found it interesting.

Yes, there is a lot to get through to get to the interesting parts, but I think it was worth it. I have been watching ESPN for 30+ years. There were always things that happened in that span where i was like... WTF? What happened to this guy? Why is this show not on anymore? Who though of that show? How did Tony Realy get on TV? The book answers all those questions and more. Unfortunately, maybe too much more, but I did find it worth the read.

They also have all the background info on just about every scandal that happened at ESPN so there is a bit of a TMZ factor if you are into that. A guilty pleasure of mine I suppose.
I read it and thought it was great.Equally great by the same author is "Live From New York". Same format but it's the history of Saturday Night Live

'Socrates11 said:
Reading King's 11/22/63. I think King is back on top of his game with this one. His last couple have been 'meh' imo, but I can't put this one down. Can barely keep my eyes open this morning because last night I told myself 'one more chapter and I'll go to bed' about 25 times.
I agree. Thanks to all in this thread for this recommendation. I liked it so much that I read "Under the Dome". Never been a Stephen King reader, but these two have me hooked.

I read it and thought it was great.Equally great by the same author is "Live From New York". Same format but it's the history of Saturday Night Live
I also bought the "Live From New York" book. That is either next, or #2 in my queue. I am warming up to the format.

Just finished Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. Fantastic book.

Are there any other good explorer / survival books? Finished 'The Lost City of Z' a couple months ago and really enjoyed it as well.
I really liked In the Heart of the Sea by Philbrick. Closely related to this, but much later in history is In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton. This is the story of the USS Indianapolis referenced by Quint in Jaws.

I liked In the Heart of the Sea better of these two.
Two good recommendations. You could also try Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King and Ghosts of Cape Sabine by Leonard Guttridge. Both compare well with the Shackleton story.
Thanks to both of you for these recommendations. Just finished up In Harm's Way. Got Tear's in Darkness (Bataan death march) queued up. Any other recommendations for these type of books?
Check out Laura Hildebrand's Unbroken about an American POW in Japan.
:goodposting: Excellent book.
Not a huge book guy - but, more-so recently with the the e-reader/Kindle.Hard for me to find a good book - not into the sci-fi stuff.

LOVED this book though. :thumbup:

Couldn't put it down and whipped though it.
Just got Unbroken for Christmas and flew through it. Great book. I've read several other WWII books and this ranks with the best of 'em. I personally like the war stories that follow a front line soldier's experience and describe what it was like to be there moreso than books that talk about the strategy and the numbers of the war. This was definitely in the former camp. The difference in this book vs. other WWII books is that the majority of Unbroken is not focused on combat experiences per se.

My goal is to read 50 books this year.

Just finished "The Coming of the Third Reich" Part 1.

Just started The Studs Terkel book on WWII.

Anyone want to join me in this contest and keep their lists here, that'd be fun I suppose.

Look for a recommendation for a fluff book after I get done with Terkel.

Users who are viewing this thread