Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun***

Doctor Detroit

I can’t wait until Urena is usurped. They don’t hit enough yet but I think the pitching is on the cusp of being very good. 

I’ll be watching the minor league results a little closer in May and June this year, plenty of guys that should be in the rotation this summer. 

• Like 1

Mize looked like a vet getting out of those jams in the first and second. I think some fans are down on him but he’s just growing up in the big leagues. 

His stuff can be filthy, his splitter can dive away from righties and his four seam is hitting 97. He’s gonna have some growing pains but tonight was impressive on many levels. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 12:01 AM, FishTacoTuesday said:

Mize looked like a vet getting out of those jams in the first and second. I think some fans are down on him but he’s just growing up in the big leagues. 

His stuff can be filthy, his splitter can dive away from righties and his four seam is hitting 97. He’s gonna have some growing pains but tonight was impressive on many levels. 

I agree. The stats don't reflect how good he really is-has tons of movement on all his pitches. Once he learns how to pitch instead of just throwing he will dominate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raging weasel said:

The Baddoo magic has worn off and its looking like we'll be picking in the top 2 again. They need to find 2-3 bats just to be competitive-can't score and strike out way too much.

Maybe there will be some noisy call-ups in 2022, but covid reset this team's trajectory to 2023. Hopefully Boyd stays healthy and keeps this up into July, so he commands a haul. Don't think any of the other obvious trade candidates will net much though.

How are the prospects doing that we got in return for HOF pitcher Verlander, JD and David Price?  They should be part of the core by now.    Norris will be out of the league soon, Boyd is a decent 4-5 starter..and who did Tigers get for Verlander?

Avila has botched the rebuild.

Edited by Da Guru

9 hours ago, Da Guru said:

How are th prospects doing that we got in return for HOF pitcher Verlander, JD and David Price?  They hould be the core by now.    Norris will be out of the league soon, Boyd is a decent 4-5 starter..and who did Tigers get for Verlander?

Daz Cameron hit .214 in AAA, Franklin Perez has had 2 years of injuries and Jake Rogers is probably a bust. So best case a backup CFer for a HOFer.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Well it looks like there is no need to update the thread title.  Time to get rid of Al Avila, or that #1 pick won't end up meaning anything anyways.

Yep, they screwed up by giving him an extension instead of walking papers. In 5 years he's failed to draft a legitimate positional starter and got basically nothing from any of his trades.

They can't hit or score and the pitching prospects haven't developed as hoped. Not sure what the records for worst run differential and times being shut out are but pretty sure this team has a chance to break them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

He got Candelario from the Cubs for seventy crappy innings (and zero saves) for Justin Wilson. 

As a Cubs homer, that trade makes me wince.

You also got his son Alex in the deal right? The candy man is not that good but still better than anyone he got for Verlander. Guess that makes it a good trade.

1 hour ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

He got Candelario from the Cubs for seventy crappy innings (and zero saves) for Justin Wilson. 

As a Cubs homer, that trade makes me wince.

Candelario sucks

33 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I know the Tigers want to get Miggy his 3000/500 but, I mean, at some point you have to do something about this, right? He's hitting below .100.

They should buy out his contract, but they want their old circus pony out there and he probably thinks he can still hit.

7 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Sigh...of course he hits a 3 run bomb so I lose my bet against the tigers

Tigers need you to say something bad about every hitter in the lineup. Within a week they will go from epically bad to murderers row.

19 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Tigers need you to say something bad about every hitter in the lineup. Within a week they will go from epically bad to murderers row.

I ripped their offense Tuesday morning and to spite me they averaged 6 runs per game vs Boston.

• Sad 1

Driving home last night for some odd reason I turned the Tiger game on.  Miggy grounds a ball for a single and Jim Price said  "Looks like the big man is turning it around and has the buggy whip going" Miggy has 8 hits all year.  2 in first game and 2 last night.  

This Tigers team comes to battle, and they don't quit.

In today's game my heart stopped when Kimbrel grooved that fastball right down the middle to Cabrera, who was just a little late on it and hit a medium depth flyball.

I know that five years ago Cabrera would have launched that pitch to the moon. 

• Like 1

8 2/3 innings of Mize and Fulmer allowing one run and four hits combined. 

I think Fulmer needs to go back to the rotation next year, but he’s currently learning “the art of pitching.”

Best win of the year.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

I think Fulmer needs to go back to the rotation next year, but he’s currently learning “the art of pitching.”

Best win of the year.  

I like him in the pen, seems like he does better when only facing a batter once per day.  

14 hours ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

Best win of the year.  

Unless he's getting extended I think trading him at the deadline to a team in need of bullpen help makes the most sense. This team won't be competitive until after he's already gone and this is probably his peak trade value since the first window was missed.

3 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Unless he's getting extended I think trading him at the deadline to a team in need of bullpen help makes the most sense. This team won't be competitive until after he's already gone and this is probably his peak trade value since the first window was missed.

Sad but true. Meanwhile we'll get to see him save a game in the postseason while awaiting Avila's latest bag of beans to finally turn into something.

Only the 6th Tigers pitcher to throw a no hitter. I would have thought there were more, something. I never really thought about. 

Mullen 

Trucks 

Bunning 

Morris

Verlander 

Turnbull 

wasnt today also the galaraga anniversary? 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 7:08 PM, Leroy Hoard said:

Tiger pitching has had its highlights this year. But the offense and defense still look minor league in a lot of cases.

They gotta stop playing Goodrum at SS, he’s really terrible. 

They need a good glove veteran SS, the play there has to be the worst in baseball. Remember when we had six good SS prospects? Ugh. Castro isn’t good there either. 

Fulmer is ####### ridiculous. 💯 on the gun tonight. 

I want to see Baddoo more, hoping the bullpen can settle. Soto, Cisneros, and Fulmer sounds good when they are available, but almost everyone else is terrible. 

The starters have been the only consistent bright spot, which as far as the franchise goes, is key. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to see as much of Baddoo, Willi Castro, hill, Rogers, Parades, and Cameron as possible. 

Gotta find out who belongs Avs who does not. Baddoo is raw and can’t be sent down, so I get sitting him some when he’s slumping. The others need consistent playing time. 

Hill is elite defensively in CF so hopefully after he comes back he’ll continue to demonstrate better plate discipline. Same applies to Rogers really, he looks like a possible star if he can hit some more. 

Burrows looks decent in his debut. 

• Like 1

Burrows and Ramos DFA’d. I’d think Mazara would be next, he’s so bad. Ramos can still hit but he’s really bad at catcher now, really bad. 

Speaking of bad fielding, Tigers are -13 in defensive runs saved…at shortstop. To me the biggest organizational need is SS, and I’d pay Baez or Correa to be the next pudge. 

Mize is good, and he’s gonna get better. He reminds of of Aaron Nola, and let’s hope that’s his profile. As he grows as a pitcher I see him shuking hitters with his four+ pitch arsenal. 

Manning coming up on Thursday and a two game win streak. Good times. :banned: 

8 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Yeah I like what I’ve seen of Mize.  Not sure he will be a true Ace but certainly a solid 2 or 3

wasnt Parades a SS or am I misremembering?  

He’s a 3Bman, and pretty good there. He’s a below average SS, like the rest of these guys. Goodrum really should not be playing there at all. 

1 hour ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

He’s a 3Bman, and pretty good there. He’s a below average SS, like the rest of these guys. Goodrum really should not be playing there at all. 

Hoping they get their long term solution at SS in this draft.

Edited by Leroy Hoard

16 hours ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

I get that he is a limited defender at SS, but his bat is such an awkward fit at 3B. With the corners set starting hopefully about a year from now I think letting Paredes take his lumps at SS to see if he is a potential answer is the right move. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look at the next 22 games, against the 4 worst teams in the league:

11-twins

4-Rangers

3-Royals

4-Baltimore

It is not out of the question that the Tigers fight their way above .500 after that stretch, possibly slide into second place and gain several games on the White Sox.  

• Like 3