What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (8 Viewers)

Gibson and Trammell got canned.
Neither one of them belongs coaching a team. Love and respect their heritage but both have had miserable runs as managers. Gibby probably ended up on the short end of the stick with La Russa coming in but the same song could be sung for Trammell with DD going to Detroit. Outside of the pen fiascos, Ausmus has kept the team on a pretty even keel throughout the season even if he has times where I doubt him.

Pretty much a must win game for the Tigers if they want to win the division outright. Otherwise the Tigers may be playing an extra game or two prior before the divisional series.

Something has got to give tonight in the Sox-Royals game. Danks has owned the Royal in his career, but the Royals have owned the Sox this year.

Nolasco has a ERA of like 6.00 when he's not pitching against Detroit, amiright?

I'll say it again, regardless of outcome that's another impressive start from Lobstein. Far exceeded expectations this year.

Nolasco has a ERA of like 6.00 when he's not pitching against Detroit, amiright?

I'll say it again, regardless of outcome that's another impressive start from Lobstein. Far exceeded expectations this year.
We would be lucky to even be in the wild card hunt without Lobstein.

@Tom_Gage: plausible thought - Omar Vizquel leaves #Tigers to manage elsewhere, Trammell returns to Detroit as a coach - he and Ausmus are friends

Yeah I don't get that feeling that this is the year.

I don't think I'll ever get that feeling though until the Tigers have three World Series wins, and are up 14 with two outs in the 9th. :mellow:

This year was much less frustrating than last year IMO. I think last year I had a lot higher expectations though, which is probably part of it.

I put it all behind me for the postseason though, and the Tigers are in the postseason. If they have to play a tiebreak for the division, so be it.

So as near as I can figure out this is how Ausmus has pitching set up

If there is a game 163 it will be Verlander

If there is a wildcard game: It will be Scherzer

If they won a wildcard game: It would be Verlander/Price/Scherzer/Porcello/Verlander

If they win division: Scherzer/Price/Verlander/Porcello/Scherzer
So if we lose tonight (as seems likely) and the Sox beat KC (..we can hope the lead holds up): Then we need to win one of two games for the division title. We win tomorrow with Price, we take the division. Or worst case, we lose again and KC wins, then we need to win a one-off with KC.

We can win one of the next two behind Price and then potentially JV, right? Right? If not, we don't deserve it.

So as near as I can figure out this is how Ausmus has pitching set up

If there is a game 163 it will be Verlander

If there is a wildcard game: It will be Scherzer

If they won a wildcard game: It would be Verlander/Price/Scherzer/Porcello/Verlander

If they win division: Scherzer/Price/Verlander/Porcello/Scherzer
So if we lose tonight (as seems likely) and the Sox beat KC (..we can hope the lead holds up): Then we need to win one of two games for the division title. We win tomorrow with Price, we take the division. Or worst case, we lose again and KC wins, then we need to win a one-off with KC.

We can win one of the next two behind Price and then potentially JV, right? Right? If not, we don't deserve it.
This is where I'm at with it. They should have won the World Series last year, what happened was ridiculous. Giants were a juggernaut the year before, I'm having less problem with that one than I am with 2006 and last year. I always enjoy the playoffs though, and will again this year regardless of what happens. Playing in October is pretty awesome and it's not something I take for granted as a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
GAME INFORMATION

Who: Detroit Tigers (89-72, 1st in AL Central) vs. Minnesota Twins (70-91, 5th in AL Central, 19 games behind Detroit)

When: 1:08 p.m.

Where: Comerica Park in Detroit

TV: Fox Sports Detroit

Radio: 97.1 The Ticket and the Detroit Tigers radio network

STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers

LHP David Price (14-12, 3.36 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Twins: 4-3, 2.84 ERA

Minnesota Twins

RHP Kyle Gibson (13-11, 4.50 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Tigers: 2-2, 6.86 ERA

STARTING LINEUPS

(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B

2. Torii Hunter, RF

3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B

4. Victor Martinez, DH

5. J.D. Martinez, LF

6. Alex Avila, C

7. Nick Castellanos, 3B

8. Andrew Romine, SS

9. Ezequiel Carrera, CF

Minnesota Twins

Not available yet.

GAME NOTES

-- Tigers speedy outfielder Rajai Davis isn't in the starting lineup today, which certainly isn't a surprise given the severity of injury he suffered Saturday night. Davis was diagnosed with a Grade 1 sprain of the pubic symphysis (a pelvic strain) after he jumped awkwardly out of the batter's box in the second inning.

-- With Davis sidelined, Tigers manager Brad Ausmus is going with Ezequiel Carrera in center field, as opposed to utility player Don Kelly, who would likely be the better defensive option. Carrera is widely considered to have a better bat.

-- Tigers starter David Price, today's starter, is 2-1 with a 3.18 ERA in three starts this season against the Twins. He gave up five runs and eight hits in 5 2/3 innings to the Twins on Sept. 17.

-- The Tigers own a one-game lead over the second-place Royals in the AL Central Division heading into the final game of the regular season. They can clinch the division with a win today or a Royals loss.

-- First pitch between the Royals-White Sox is scheduled for 2:10 p.m. -- about an hour after the start of the Tigers-Twins game. If the Tigers lose, they'll likely be waiting before determining whether a Game 163 is necessary.

-- If the Tigers lose today, the Royals can force a one-game tiebreaker Monday at Comerica Park. The winner of that game would go to the AL Division Series. The loser would host the wild-card game Tuesday.

-- Detroit's magic number to clinch the division is down to one. The magic number represents the combination of wins by the leading team and losses by the second-place (or tied) team that would clinch the division title.

-- The Royals, who clinched a postseason berth Friday night, hold a one-game lead over the Oakland Athletics for the first wild-card spot. The Athletics hold a one-game lead over the Seattle Mariners for the second wild-card spot.

-- The forecast in Detroit tonight calls for partly to mostly sunny skies with temperatures warming into the low to middle 70s degrees. No rain is expected tonight.

tri-man 47 said:
thank you, thank you, thank you, Sox.

Well, we still control our own destiny.
If we can't win 1 of 2 against the Twinks to win the division, we might as well forget about taking three series from Baltimore, LAA, and the Nationals. I think I would need at least 30-1 odds to even consider putting money down on this team winning the WS.

Price's pitch count is way up early. Kyle Gibson looks like a Cy Young winner.....
Just got home, and other than the score, pitch count was what I checked. 73 pitches through 4 innings. "Anibal Sanchez, white courtesy phone ...Anibal Sanchez, white courtesy phone."

109 pitches through 7. 1-0 lead. Ausmus, time to earn your keep here. Price pitching well: Bring him out for the 8th? (I'd think so) But then what? Sanchez? Soria? Or the ol' party line of Joba then Joe. S's >>>> J's. Show us your wisdom, coach.

Users who are viewing this thread