What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (15 Viewers)

I'm taking my 18yo to New Orleans next week. This morning:

Him: hey dad, let's drop by Haven hills on the way to New Orleans. 

Me: :oldunsure:  where do you think Haven hills is?

Him: it's down by the coast, on the beach.

Me: check again.

😶

So if there are all of these different Loki's that have been variants over time -- are there really numerous timelines, rather than just "the sacred timeline" that keeps getting referenced?  If OUR Loki is a "variant" how is he able to help remedy the sacred timeline -- if he was meant to help, then he is part of the plan . . . .

So if there are all of these different Loki's that have been variants over time -- are there really numerous timelines, rather than just "the sacred timeline" that keeps getting referenced?  If OUR Loki is a "variant" how is he able to help remedy the sacred timeline -- if he was meant to help, then he is part of the plan . . . .
Multiverses and alternate reality will lose me, and I suspect a lot of more mainstream fans, quickly.  If the sacred timeline will establish a single timeline as "the" timeline, and all the rest are corruptions, then that would be a good thing.  Lady Loki?  Really?  Have we had our fill of Loki with a couple of supporting roles, a couple of cameos, and a single episode of a TV seried?  Not thrilled with this development.

Multiverses and alternate reality will lose me, and I suspect a lot of more mainstream fans, quickly. 
Yeah, I’m just enjoying the ride for now without thinking too hard about it, but I hope they don’t lean into this too much into this kind of thing going forward. 

Wilson and Hiddleston are awesome in this but there was A LOT of talking in this episode. My son thought it was boring. I enjoyed the dialogue. The music at the end was fantastic.

Multiverses and alternate reality will lose me, and I suspect a lot of more mainstream fans, quickly.  If the sacred timeline will establish a single timeline as "the" timeline, and all the rest are corruptions, then that would be a good thing.  Lady Loki?  Really?  Have we had our fill of Loki with a couple of supporting roles, a couple of cameos, and a single episode of a TV seried?  Not thrilled with this development.
In general, I hate time travel.  It's just so hard to pull off well without letting your mind wander into all the different variables.  Even in things like Terminator or Back to the Future, I'm like "let it go".  That's the tact I'm taking with this.  Different timelines (multiverses) will be playing a larger role in the MCU in short order.

In general, I hate time travel.  It's just so hard to pull off well without letting your mind wander into all the different variables.  Even in things like Terminator or Back to the Future, I'm like "let it go".  That's the tact I'm taking with this.  Different timelines (multiverses) will be playing a larger role in the MCU in short order.
Agreed all around. I try not to overthink it. 

I'm rewatching ep 1 now. The part where the guy just being late for work as a nexus event just seems wrong. 

It was Lady Loki.  That was the spoiler someone on Facebook posted that I wish I had not seen, would have been a nice surprise (if you knew a Lady Loki existed). Loving the setup thus far.
End credits show her name is Sylvie. Lady Loki in the comics is dark haired but in the show she's blonde. Sylvie in the comics  becomes the enchantress, who uses green magic to well, enchant people. Very much what she is doing in series. She's also blonde.🤔

Well better buckle up because this is where it's going. Dr Strange will be 100% multiverse related and it seems like Ant-man will have something to do with it as well.

End credits show her name is Sylvie. Lady Loki in the comics is dark haired but in the show she's blonde. Sylvie in the comics  becomes the enchantress, who uses green magic to well, enchant people. Very much what she is doing in series. She's also blonde.🤔

Well better buckle up because this is where it's going. Dr Strange will be 100% multiverse related and it seems like Ant-man will have something to do with it as well.
And, to be fair, this is what marvel will need to do to keep the franchises going In perpetuity. Unlike Star Wars, where you can go back and forth in time for storytelling (good or bad), with the “hero” universes they all happen i a 40-50 year time frame of what we consider “the present”. So if you want to “reboot” iron man or any such hero with a different story arc, and you want to explain it, the multiverse is your best option.  The fact that they already did this in “into the spiderverce” and it looks like they are dipping into it here as well in Loki and the next strange and Spider-Man films seems like they are going to use this as the overarching “explainer” for new characters, mutants, or different stories for the same “Heroes”

the explanation doesn’t have to be perfect, it’s just a goober to explain why Shia leboof is the next iron man…

The nuclear plant?  My longer rides sometimes goes by there. Now I'm bummed I didn't even know they were filming here.

Yeah....i made that up.....because of your TVA joke.  :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I get that.  I don't mind time travel and alternate realities as long as they are somehow based in one main continuum, and as long as they are one-off plotlines and not ongoing intrusive story features.  It seems like Marvel has really muddied the water over the years in that regard, and that's where I lose interest.  When nothing ultimately matters, I stop being vested in the characters.

The characters are what Marvel is all about, after all.  Superhuman people overcoming human challenges.  Frankly, I'd rather have the next 10 years of X-Men battling prejudice against mutants, FF battling Dr. Doom and cosmic threats, and Spider-man and Daredevil battling Kingpin and protecting the neighborhood.

Nothing strange (see what I did there) about Dr. Strange dealing with multiverses of madness.  I just don't want it to be the primary focus on all the other franchises. 

Psychopav said:
Yeah I get that.  I don't mind time travel and alternate realities as long as they are somehow based in one main continuum, and as long as they are one-off plotlines and not ongoing intrusive story features.  It seems like Marvel has really muddied the water over the years in that regard, and that's where I lose interest.  When nothing ultimately matters, I stop being vested in the characters.

The characters are what Marvel is all about, after all.  Superhuman people overcoming human challenges.  Frankly, I'd rather have the next 10 years of X-Men battling prejudice against mutants, FF battling Dr. Doom and cosmic threats, and Spider-man and Daredevil battling Kingpin and protecting the neighborhood.

Nothing strange (see what I did there) about Dr. Strange dealing with multiverses of madness.  I just don't want it to be the primary focus on all the other franchises. 
Spider-Man battling a laundry list of various bad guys is great, but I loved the way marvel set up infinity war/endgame. There needs to be an arch that spans the universes of the different series in order to set up for something similar, or it gets boring. Otherwise you get the first few Spider-Man/X-men movies- antagonist shows up, battle ensues, culminates in a 15 minute resolution, movie over. New bad guy emerges, rinse repeat. I love the fact that you can watch all these movies and they tie in (while dealing with immediate movie plot) with a big resolution. The fact that they can now do these series to explore and develop characters just adds depth to the story. 
I get what you’re saying, but ultimately I think the multiverse will just be a tool to bring various characters together that culminates in another larger storyline like Secret Wars or something. 

The end credits for all but one language list the character as "The Variant".  Sylvie is the Enchantress in the comics, but in the "Loki" file where he reads up on himself (or herself as his sex is listed as fluid), you see the name Sylvie Lauferdottir (I'm sure I spelled the first part wrong) whereas he is Loki Lauferson.  The latter part of the name is the sex of the child (hence Thor Odinson). Loki/Sylvie is the child of a frost giant.  They could be pulling a swerve here and use it to introduce the Enchantress, but that's not the origin of the character from the comics.  They flat out said "It's another Loki" so I'm still going with Lady Loki, but I do recognize they can take creative freedoms and do what they want with it.

Spider-Man battling a laundry list of various bad guys is great, but I loved the way marvel set up infinity war/endgame. There needs to be an arch that spans the universes of the different series in order to set up for something similar, or it gets boring. Otherwise you get the first few Spider-Man/X-men movies- antagonist shows up, battle ensues, culminates in a 15 minute resolution, movie over. New bad guy emerges, rinse repeat. I love the fact that you can watch all these movies and they tie in (while dealing with immediate movie plot) with a big resolution. The fact that they can now do these series to explore and develop characters just adds depth to the story. 
I get what you’re saying, but ultimately I think the multiverse will just be a tool to bring various characters together that culminates in another larger storyline like Secret Wars or something. 
Secret Wars (or some variant) is where I think it will be heading.  Probably based more on the second generation rather than the original (or perhaps ingredients from both).  Gives a lot of freedom.

So the 1 in 14,000,000,000 chance that was End Game and the time stone itself don’t really matter because TVA?  
They did say Endgame was supposed to happen, so I guess the TVA allowed it?

Although in Ep1 it did look like Agent Carter was being taken into the TVA, perhaps as part of Steve Rodgers staying in that time line after returning the stones?

They did say Endgame was supposed to happen, so I guess the TVA allowed it?

Although in Ep1 it did look like Agent Carter was being taken into the TVA, perhaps as part of Steve Rodgers staying in that time line after returning the stones?

What I've having trouble with is if the Avengers were supposed to go back in time, then the sequence of events that gave Loki the Tesseract again were also supposed to happen. If that was supposed to happen then Loki in the TVA is the true timeline and the Marvel timeline where Loki dies by Thano's hand was an alternate timeline. Or am I missing something? 

What I've having trouble with is if the Avengers were supposed to go back in time, then the sequence of events that gave Loki the Tesseract again were also supposed to happen. If that was supposed to happen then Loki in the TVA is the true timeline and the Marvel timeline where Loki dies by Thano's hand was an alternate timeline. Or am I missing something? 
Perhaps the Avengers were supposed to go back in time but then when Loki escaped they were not supposed to go back in time again. Or just go with it. None of it makes any sense.

Good question. 

Perhaps the Avengers were supposed to go back in time but then when Loki escaped they were not supposed to go back in time again. Or just go with it. None of it makes any sense.
I think they said or alluded to the Avengers going back in time was supposed to happen, but Loki getting the tesseract was not.  Quick comment in Ep1.

So far I love it. I love the twist that the TVA may actually be the bad guys and mind controlling variants to do their bidding much like Loki did in the first Avengers. 

Liked this weeks episode, didn't love it.  Great action.  Big reveal that TVA agents are all plucked Variants.  Have a feeling the next Thanos will be revealed by the end of the series.

Liked this weeks episode, didn't love it.  Great action.  Big reveal that TVA agents are all plucked Variants.  Have a feeling the next Thanos will be revealed by the end of the series.
I really liked it.  The answer to our earlier question is that she is Lady Loki and the Enchantress.  Changed her name and her destiny by being on the run from the TVA.  TVA as the baddies was assured as soon as they showed the statue of the timekeepers with the middle one looking very much like Kang the Conqueror.  He will be the next Thanos IMO.  Not as powerful as Thanos, but huge advantages in tech and being able to time travel puts things in his favor (especially as he likely created the TVA to have past events enhance his current position).

I really liked it.  The answer to our earlier question is that she is Lady Loki and the Enchantress.  Changed her name and her destiny by being on the run from the TVA.  TVA as the baddies was assured as soon as they showed the statue of the timekeepers with the middle one looking very much like Kang the Conqueror.  He will be the next Thanos IMO.  Not as powerful as Thanos, but huge advantages in tech and being able to time travel puts things in his favor (especially as he likely created the TVA to have past events enhance his current position).
Now this I could get behind.  Maybe what makes the timeline THE sacred timeline is the manipulation by Kang and his crew to ensure they put themselves in the best possible position.  As long as the story has a beginning, middle, end, and at the end we are left with just one version of Marvel to care about, I'm good with shenanigans in the middle part.

I missed this entirely (was drifting in and out after Loki and Sylvie got booted off the train). So ... Mobius is/was a Variant? Ravenna a Variant? The guy who didn't know what a fish was -- a Variant?
Apparently, yes.

I missed this entirely (was drifting in and out after Loki and Sylvie got booted off the train). So ... Mobius is/was a Variant? Ravenna a Variant? The guy who didn't know what a fish was -- a Variant?
Yep, all variants...presumably plucked from Earth from different time periods and/or universes.  If you noticed in episode 2 that Owen Wilson likes Jet Ski's from the 90s......he's most likely from the 90s.

Wasn't a big fan of this episode.  Kind of slow.  Some potentially nice reveals.  Played to much like it was a dream sequence and one of them would wake up and they were still on the train.  Hopefully it sets up a great and fun 2nd half of the season....

Wasn't a big fan of this episode.  Kind of slow.  Some potentially nice reveals.  Played to much like it was a dream sequence and one of them would wake up and they were still on the train.  Hopefully it sets up a great and fun 2nd half of the season....
Definitely possible considering what she said that stronger minds require a bigger fantasy. That said, I don’t get why she’d need to do that. If she has him out couldn’t she just grab the device and charge it up herself? The TVA girl was needed to find out how to get to the Timekeepers. Loki doesn’t have any real info that would help her just the device. I guess maybe she needed him under so he’d take the device out of wherever he hid it. That’s all assuming it’s a dream.

Definitely possible considering what she said that stronger minds require a bigger fantasy. That said, I don’t get why she’d need to do that. If she has him out couldn’t she just grab the device and charge it up herself? The TVA girl was needed to find out how to get to the Timekeepers. Loki doesn’t have any real info that would help her just the device. I guess maybe she needed him under so he’d take the device out of wherever he hid it. That’s all assuming it’s a dream.
Good questions.  With the pending apocolypse it just felt like one would wake up and they'd still be on the train before the device broke and were kicked off.  Wasn't even thinking about mind control and the fantasy.  Typically panic inducing dream sequence.  And yes, Sylvie did already do the wake up part to find drunk Loki getting ratted on....

Just meant the storyline didnt vibe like the others.  Still looking forward to whats next.

So Loki's a badass God of Mischief who can do magic and a couple of human guards can beat him up and toss him out a window?

Silvie: "I don't sleep on trains" <proceeds to sleep on a train>

And we all know Loki and Silvie aren't dying, so really, why worry about blowing up the big spaceship for drama's sake? Lazy writing.

Still, I do enjoy when Loki and Silvie banter. And Loki singing what I'm assuming was a Norwegian ballad was pretty awesome.

Awesome episode, the long FX/action sequence at the end was pretty dang sweet. Reminded me a lot of some things Agents of Shield used to do like Quake rescuing Lincoln at the end of season 2 but obviously the budget and effects are way bigger and more advanced. Loved Sylvie just walking away after the Ark blew up. Sad this is only 6 episodes, liking Loki even more than WandaVision.

Awesome episode, the long FX/action sequence at the end was pretty dang sweet. Reminded me a lot of some things Agents of Shield used to do like Quake rescuing Lincoln at the end of season 2 but obviously the budget and effects are way bigger and more advanced. Loved Sylvie just walking away after the Ark blew up. Sad this is only 6 episodes, liking Loki even more than WandaVision.
Nah not even close to Wanda vision imo

Users who are viewing this thread