Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Marvel Cinematic Universe - WOW Loki is Good!; Black Widow in Theaters; "What if" Up Next


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

This is closer to my understanding.  Most of the last episode took place at a GRC refugee camp.  They are essentially fighting for justice for the refugees who were displaced by the blip.  The Global Relocation Council is some sort of international body that is supposed to help these refugees, and the Flag Smashers are fighting for equal or better treatment of some sort.  That said, there was also a mention earlier in the season about them being against borders and such. Its vague and confusing.

I don't want to be the guy who comes in here and trashes the show most people are enjoying.  Its has had some pretty good super-hero action scenes.  The story is very weak imo. Neither the villains nor the heroes are compelling or even interesting characters to me. Perhaps its an unfair situation given the hard act this show has to follow.  I thought WandaVision had a great combination of a fantastic story, creative, brilliant writing, great acting (multiple great performances from week to week) and great characters.  The story kept me on the edge to the point where one day I was working from home on a Friday and could not resist watching the new episode when I had some free time before noon.  Falcon/Winter Soldier is a total head-scratcher to me - so many parts of the story, characters, etc. just make no sense to me.

I agree with you that this show isn’t on Wanda’s level. Kmart Cap is a bit too obvious. I mean of course the medal of honors weren’t deserved and he and his buddy have war crimes in their background. It’s like they had to make that up just to make him more unlikable. I think just making him a hot head that jumps in without thinking would have been better. You can still make him snap without having to disparage him first to make sure everyone knows he’s evil. Karli is also just a weak criminal. I mean every shot of her they have to make her look so sad and reinforce that she’s really a good person but she's doing what’s necessary and you see her kill people with no care in the world. There also seems to be no real chemistry. Zemo might be the best character IMHO.

I’m still enjoying it, but it’s definitely not close to the movies and Wandavision. It’s way more forced and doesn’t flow as well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I agree with you that this show isn’t on Wanda’s level. Kmart Cap is a bit too obvious. I mean of course the medal of honors weren’t deserved and he and his buddy have war crimes in their background. It’s like they had to make that up just to make him more unlikable. I think just making him a hot head that jumps in without thinking would have been better. You can still make him snap without having to disparage him first to make sure everyone knows he’s evil. Karli is also just a weak criminal. I mean every shot of her they have to make her look so sad and reinforce that she’s really a good person but she's doing what’s necessary and you see her kill people with no care in the world. There also seems to be no real chemistry. Zemo might be the best character IMHO.

I’m still enjoying it, but it’s definitely not close to the movies and Wandavision. It’s way more forced and doesn’t flow as well.

I agree, KMart Cap was inherently unlikable when he appeared with the costume and shield after Sam "retired" it with the Government's approval. To turn around a very short time later and have the image of white privilege hold the shield already had viewers against him. A slow build up of "hey, he's not really such a bad guy, he's just a puppet of the government" to the Shielding would have been a better character arc. That along with the aforementioned fact that he has a very punchable face.

As mentioned earlier Zemo is great and I hope he is heavily featured in Black Panther 2.  Even if it is just a return to jail (which I doubt because I think he'll be on the loose), I don't think Zemo's story is finished in this series.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, greeklightnin said:

Pretty obvious who the power broker is at this point. 

Mephisto? 

14 hours ago, stbugs said:

.

I’m still enjoying it, but it’s definitely not close to the movies and Wandavision. It’s way more forced and doesn’t flow as well.

Agreed. Right now while it's not iron fist level, it's below most of the Netflix shows, maybe on the same tier as Luke Cage season 2 (I liked 1 better). Will still watch but whereas WV was a "wakeup on Friday and watch it immediately" level, F&WS is"watch when I get to it" level. It could get better.  Sam is still my favorite character. bucky, Zemo, Sharon and the wakandans are great too.

I fully expect Loki will be on WV level.

Edited by -OZ-
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bucky (Sebastian Stan) is streets ahead in terms of acting ability.  That scene alone where he explains why Sam giving up the shield is such a problem for him was a home run.

Boy I wish they make him the new Luke...

I've taken to watching the prior week's ep on Thursday night, and I am enjoying the series.  I think expecting WV is a mistake.  If you expect Winter Soldier and Civil War, you are probably not going to be disappointed.

Edited by Psychopav
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Psychopav said:

Bucky (Sebastian Stan) is streets ahead in terms of acting ability.  That scene alone where he explains why Sam giving up the shield is such a problem for him was a home run.

Boy I wish they make him the new Luke...

I've taken to watching the prior week's ep on Thursday night, and I am enjoying the series.  I think expecting WV is a mistake.  If you expect Winter Soldier and Civil War, you are probably not going to be disappointed.

Its funny. I never realized how horrible of an actor Anthony Mackie was until this series.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jobarules said:

When Joel Kinnaman out-acts you, you got problems.

Sometimes you are perfect for a part. He was. Even Keanu Reeves has had his moments. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cut Mackie some slack, he just never recovered after B-Rabbit took his life......

 

Seems like they are just trying to give a little screen time to what happened after blip before moving on to bigger moments.  Moving some pieces around and addressing some loose ends in a buddy cop movie.  I feel like this may end up leaving a lot more open leading into the future then WV did.  Which is funny since everyone expected WV to do that and turned out to be very self contained.

I'm enjoying it, seems on par with some of the middle of the road AoS or Netflix show seasons.  I think it was mentioned previously but I think this was supposed to be first of the D+ shows and if it had been, it may be better received and not the letdown it feels after WV.

Plus Loki looks just as WTF as WV was.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

Cut Mackie some slack, he just never recovered after B-Rabbit took his life......

 

Seems like they are just trying to give a little screen time to what happened after blip before moving on to bigger moments.  Moving some pieces around and addressing some loose ends in a buddy cop movie.  I feel like this may end up leaving a lot more open leading into the future then WV did.  Which is funny since everyone expected WV to do that and turned out to be very self contained.

I'm enjoying it, seems on par with some of the middle of the road AoS or Netflix show seasons.  I think it was mentioned previously but I think this was supposed to be first of the D+ shows and if it had been, it may be better received and not the letdown it feels after WV.

Plus Loki looks just as WTF as WV was.

Holy crap, I never realized Clarence, I mean Mackie went to private school. How did I miss that?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's episode was better than the previous. But I really hate it when writers get military stuff so clearly wrong. Senators holding a hearing in which they "recommend" against a court martial, then issue a separation with OTH characterization of service, then talk about retirement? :wall: 

It was cool to see Elaine. 

I refuse to believe there isn't a "twist" coming with Sharon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, B Maverick said:

Cut Mackie some slack, he just never recovered after B-Rabbit took his life......

 

Seems like they are just trying to give a little screen time to what happened after blip before moving on to bigger moments.  Moving some pieces around and addressing some loose ends in a buddy cop movie.  I feel like this may end up leaving a lot more open leading into the future then WV did.  Which is funny since everyone expected WV to do that and turned out to be very self contained.

I'm enjoying it, seems on par with some of the middle of the road AoS or Netflix show seasons.  I think it was mentioned previously but I think this was supposed to be first of the D+ shows and if it had been, it may be better received and not the letdown it feels after WV.

Plus Loki looks just as WTF as WV was.

What do you mean "very self contained"? It leads directly to DS2, Monica is part of CM2 and future movies, Darcy will continue to have a role, and there were skrulls. Not to mention SWORD in general. 

We expected more, including some big reveals. But it's very connected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's get some thoughts on the power broker's identity. Guesses I've heard or seen:

1. Sharon

2. Red skull

3. GEN Ross

4. Jerry seinfeld

5. Doctor Doom

Right now I'm betting #3 even though he seems unlikely to support the flag smashers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, -OZ- said:

What do you mean "very self contained"? It leads directly to DS2, Monica is part of CM2 and future movies, Darcy will continue to have a role, and there were skrulls. Not to mention SWORD in general. 

We expected more, including some big reveals. But it's very connected.

Yes it was connected to the rest, but it was a story from start to finish.  It was similar to the early MCU movies like IM 1 and Thor and not so much like IW and Endgame. Actually it was a lot more like the Netflix shows.  You had your story of her dealing with her grief and now she is ready to move on.  The rumors (Mephisto, Dr Strange, FF) all made people expect more and probably wanting more of a cliffhanger.  At the end it wasn't as expansive.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nick Vermeil said:

New wings 

Good one!!! 

I had thought out a whole long reason why Sam needs a suit or serum to be the next Captain and of course the simplest answer is right there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Capella said:

New bad ### Captain suit. 

I want it to be a new vibranium Captain suit so bad. In my mind Sam has all the characteristics of a great Captain, but he isn't a super solider and he needs to be. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 7:31 PM, GroveDiesel said:

And remember the Asian man that Bucky befriended after he murdered the man’s son? And the emotional struggle Bucky was going through? Yeah well, the writers sure didn’t. Who cares about their backstory, they’re now just pawns in the Discount Cap story.

Gee, I wonder who Bucky had in mind after his talk with Sam? Very subtle.

I did actually like this episode a lot more than most of the episodes though, even if it was a total stereotypical “character development and introspection right before the Final Act” type episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Gee, I wonder who Bucky had in mind after his talk with Sam? Very subtle.

I did actually like this episode a lot more than most of the episodes though, even if it was a total stereotypical “character development and introspection right before the Final Act” type episode.

I enjoyed it but damn it did make me feel like I was watching Summer Rental. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jobarules said:

The training montage of Falcon struggling catching the shield AFTER literally catching it everytime in the scene before was laughable. 

Nonsense, it was a throwback montage.  They even had him doing the Apollo Creed hands while he ran.  I expected Rocky to come running up alongside him.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll admit I was bored last night watching the latest episode.  I kept looking at the clocking wondering how long this was going to last.  Everything seems disjointed; as if there are 2 different shows they mashed together.  I wish Loki would hurry up. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2021 at 3:12 PM, -OZ- said:

Let's get some thoughts on the power broker's identity. Guesses I've heard or seen:

1. Sharon

2. Red skull

3. GEN Ross

4. Jerry seinfeld

5. Doctor Doom

Right now I'm betting #3 even though he seems unlikely to support the flag smashers.

Newman is the obvious answer.  We think that the diloposauraus killed him when it actually gave him the power to travel through time and spit mind destroying venom. 

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2021 at 4:12 PM, -OZ- said:

Let's get some thoughts on the power broker's identity. Guesses I've heard or seen:

1. Sharon

2. Red skull

3. GEN Ross

4. Jerry seinfeld

5. Doctor Doom

Right now I'm betting #3 even though he seems unlikely to support the flag smashers.

I think you are right. I love the MCU, but if I am honest I never read a single comic book and most likely would have never have watched a MCU movie if my husband wasn't an Marvel nerd growing up. 

We watched the episode again this morning and he thinks Ross is the power broker and sent Val to recruit the new Captain. He also said that he is 75/25 on whether that is a vibranium captain suit or new wings in the case.

The guy that Sam told to keep the broken wings does play Falcon in the comics when Sam becomes Captain America. He thinks this is where they are taking these characters. Sam gets a Captain suit to make him more of a super solider and the new guy fixes the wings and takes over as Falcon. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

I think you are right. I love the MCU, but if I am honest I never read a single comic book and most likely would have never have watched a MCU movie if my husband wasn't an Marvel nerd growing up. 

We watched the episode again this morning and he thinks Ross is the power broker and sent Val to recruit the new Captain. He also said that he is 75/25 on whether that is a vibranium captain suit or new wings in the case.

The guy that Sam told to keep the broken wings does play Falcon in the comics when Sam becomes Captain America. He thinks this is where they are taking these characters. Sam gets a Captain suit to make him more of a super solider and the new guy fixes the wings and takes over as Falcon. 

That would be fine with me as long as there's still a falcon. It would make more sense that a vibranium suit would come out of wakanda. Nice favor they owed Bucky huh?

 

He needs to exit the MCU and move over to Star Wars imo. He's being wasted here. Get your heads out of your asses Disney!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd rather Sam remains the Falcon and Bucky takes on the shield. He is the super soldier after all and what better way to fulfill a redemption arc for him than to take on the shield and responsibility of Captain America. Plus, he was the OG sidekick. He should be the heir apparent. I know that doesn't fit into the narrative of recognizing and rewarding the sacrifices of those with a different skin color though so I get why they are doing what they are doing.

Edited by cap'n grunge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

I'd rather Sam remains the Falcon and Bucky takes on the shield. He is the super soldier after all and what better way to fulfill a redemption arc for him than to take on the shield and responsibility of Captain America. Plus, he was the OG sidekick. He should be the heir apparent. I know that doesn't fit into the narrative of recognizing and rewarding the sacrifices of those with a different skin color though so I get why they are doing what they are doing.

It's going to be Sam. Bucky even said something about how he never considered the significance of a black Cap.  Then you have the other black dude who was a super soldier and spent decades in prison as a scapegoat.  "The stars and stripes mean nothing to me".  Might give him reason to reconsider things. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I think the box has a whole new suit (along with the upgraded wings).  I think it will have some of the Red White and Blue in it, but also black that pulses purple when it absorbs energy.  If Sam isn't taking the serum (which I don't think he ever would), then he is going to need some tech to keep up.

Julia Louis Dreyfus showing up as Contessa (later Madame Hydra, also an assistant director of SHIELD, maybe they repurpose her here as the Power Broker) was the top part of the episode for me.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes.  Not sure if she is going to end up building a Femme Force or perhaps recruit Zemo and KMart Cap into some version of the Thunderbolts. Lots of options with that. Right now I'm leaning towards she is the Power Broker, has recruited Sharon to her side (they were in Femme Force together but often at odds) and she wants KMart Cap close by so she can try to extract the serum from him (unfortunately like they did Bradley).

I thought it was another good episode, I think they are handling the racial elements well. I don't think Mackie is as strong an actor as Stan, but I thought he connected really well with Karli and again with Bradley.  Regardless, it's going to be hard for this show to dig out of the number 3 slot of the first offerings compared to WandaVision and what I'm hoping for from Loki.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:
On 4/16/2021 at 9:47 PM, Capella said:

New bad ### Captain suit. 

Vibranium, energy absorbing, Red, white, blue, and black, with wings.

Then he basically becomes a hybrid Captain America/Iron-Man/Black Panther/Falcon

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

Then he basically becomes a hybrid Captain America/Iron-Man/Black Panther/Falcon

Captain black falcon man

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

how satisfying was it seeing captain dorkmerica busted down and kicked out of the military with no benefits up to me that sob rots in a jail take that to the bank brohans 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corporation changed the title to Marvel Cinematic Universe - WOW Loki is Good!; Black Widow in Theaters; "What if" Up Next

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...