What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (7 Viewers)

We had what looked to be a 6 or 7 year old in the theater last night. That was going to be an interesting ride home with questions for the parents I think :)
There was a 12 or 13 year old sitting right in front of me with his mom. She kept making him get up and leave and she would text him when it was okay to come back. Awful.

We had what looked to be a 6 or 7 year old in the theater last night. That was going to be an interesting ride home with questions for the parents I think :)
There was a 12 or 13 year old sitting right in front of me with his mom. She kept making him get up and leave and she would text him when it was okay to come back. Awful.
I would have grabbed the phone and chucked it towards the screen.

I would have grabbed the phone and chucked it towards the screen.
My hands were full. I scarfed down like three cans of tuna during the movie.

But seriously, parents. Just stop. If there's any question about taking your little bugger to see this, just wait until it comes out on bluray. Or just steal it at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh dear god that is awful. Just leave at that point and realize you are an idiot for not checking before hand. IMDB had everything clearly listed out.

The numbers are shocking considering it's rated R and Ryan Reynolds had been a box office flop more often than not. This could bounce his career back in a big way.

The numbers are shocking considering it's rated R and Ryan Reynolds had been a box office flop more often than not. This could bounce his career back in a big way.
My 1st thoughts exactly. Ryan Reynolds is like a cancer for movies in the last 5-6 years. Green Lantern, RIPD, there are a lot of them. Now he has a franchise hit, you can plan on DP2 and DP3 being in full swing after the returns this weekend. I would expect another within 24 months. There was an obvious thirst for some R Rated comic movies although Sin City and such have been so so in BO returns.

My daughter is starting preschool Monday. First 6.5 hours my wife and I have had alone in 3 years. Think I found the movie I want to see. Starts 11:45 with 1hr 48 min runtime. I think it's doable.

My 1st thoughts exactly. Ryan Reynolds is like a cancer for movies in the last 5-6 years. Green Lantern, RIPD, there are a lot of them. Now he has a franchise hit, you can plan on DP2 and DP3 being in full swing after the returns this weekend. I would expect another within 24 months. There was an obvious thirst for some R Rated comic movies although Sin City and such have been so so in BO returns.
The first Sin City was very cool but it didn't have the scaffolding in place to act as a catalyst like being part of the MCU.

Anyone going to go to Deadpool this weekend?

My daughter and I are going tonight.

Rotten Tomatoes is running at a solid 84% now after 146 reviews.
Saw it last night, very true to the source material. Which means it is a hard R rating. Very good, liked it a lot. Will need to have a second viewing because there were a lot of rapid fire inside jokes.

Anyone going to go to Deadpool this weekend?

My daughter and I are going tonight.

Rotten Tomatoes is running at a solid 84% now after 146 reviews.
Saw it last night, very true to the source material. Which means it is a hard R rating. Very good, liked it a lot. Will need to have a second viewing because there were a lot of rapid fire inside jokes.
There were a ton. The more you know about movies and general pop culture the better. I loved the green lantern jokes :)

Would someone who knows almost nothing about other movies, comic books and pop culture still like this movie?

Would someone who knows almost nothing about other movies, comic books and pop culture still like this movie?
I think so but there are a ton of inside jokes starting from the opening credits all the way to the fun end of credits scene (which really works if you are a fan of movies and understand the connotation) so one might not get as much out of it as another who is familiar with the material.

Just got back from Deadpool and we loved it.

It grabs you from the opening credits all the way through the end of credits scene (which is a must for any one who is a film buff to see).

For those wondering about younger kids, be cautioned, the material was very strong.

One question for those that have seen it

I know they could not say because of the rights with Disney, but are we to assume that the destroyed ship was a helicarrier from Cap 2?
No, why would you?According to the IMDB trivia page, it was what I assumed. It was kind of obvious I guess come to think of it.
It was not. It might've been a wink at one, but it was not one.

It grabs you from the opening credits all the way through the end of credits scene (which is a must for any one who is a film buff to see).

For those wondering about younger kids, be cautioned, the material was very strong.

I know they could not say because of the rights with Disney, but are we to assume that the destroyed ship was a helicarrier from Cap 2?
No, why would you?According to the IMDB trivia page, it was what I assumed. It was kind of obvious I guess come to think of it.
It was not. It might've been a wink at one, but it was not one.
They don't have the rights to call it a

helicarrier as I originally said, but the design was exactly what a helicarrier is, which is an air craft carrier with horizontal 4 turbines.
It was much more than a wink imo, it was clearly what they wanted everyone to realize it was.

Largest opening ever for an R rated movie, with the latest estimates coming in at $135m. It beat out The Matrix Reloaded from many years ago.

It also destroyed the previous February record of $85m (any rating) for last years 50 Shades of Grey.

Deadpool isn't Marvel Cinematic Universe, a new thread was fine.
It might be semantics at this point.

The opening credits start with Marvel Logo scroll as they all do, whether Fox or Disney based.

Both are Marvel products just under different parents.

Marvel Entertainment takes care of non Disney productions

Marvel Studios takes care of Disney productions

This thread does not just follow Disney based productions, it follows all Marvel films, (Xmen, Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Avengers etc).

And the other thread just turned into the normal "I am smarter than you because I don't like this film" BS that so many threads turn into. At least here people can discuss the film with out that crap.

I thought it was great. Super funny. Actually wished there was more Deadpool and less origin story but they gotta do it I guess. Gets tiring even though I understand why they do it.

The opening credits start with Marvel Logo scroll as they all do, whether Fox or Disney based.

This thread does not just follow Disney based productions, it follows all Marvel films, (Xmen, Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Avengers etc).

And the other thread just turned into the normal "I am smarter than you because I don't like this film" BS that so many threads turn into. At least here people can discuss the film with out that crap.
Does Disney make any money off of this? I assume so since they own marvel.

Does Disney make any money off of this? I assume so since they own marvel.
I don't know the exact finances but I think Disney receives what is called a licensing fee as the rights to XMen, Spiderman and Fantastic Four were all sold off before Disney was in the picture.

If memory serves, when Disney purchased Marvel, they purchased it under an agreement that should Fox or Sony fail to make a movie within a reasonable time period, that the rights would revert to Disney.

Sony has let Spiderman go back to Disney partially, in what is termed a revenue sharing deal, but I think Fox still has full control over all XMen movies. It would not shock me though if Fox gives up control of Fantastic Four.

I wonder if there is any plan by Fox to try and build the mutant franchises into their own cohesive universe. I pointed out earlier that in Deadpool they went Russian with Colossus, which is counter to the X-Men franchise. I would love it if they at least tried to create some kind of continuity with the Fox end of the Marvel universe.

I wonder if there is any plan by Fox to try and build the mutant franchises into their own cohesive universe. I pointed out earlier that in Deadpool they went Russian with Colossus, which is counter to the X-Men franchise. I would love it if they at least tried to create some kind of continuity with the Fox end of the Marvel universe.
Because of Days of Future Past, everything we know has basically been scrubbed (via story line) so they have a clear paper if they want one.

But anyone who has seen Deadpool knows they could care less about fitting it into any bigger continuity. The movie overtly makes fun of the XMen time line at one point. :)

NewlyRetired said:
Chaka said:
Because of Days of Future Past, everything we know has basically been scrubbed (via story line) so they have a clear paper if they want one.

But anyone who has seen Deadpool knows they could care less about fitting it into any bigger continuity. The movie overtly makes fun of the XMen time line at one point. :)
Makes fun of pretty much all the Marvel properties...exactly like Deadpool should. Great movie, perfect for how Deadpool should be.

Just got back.  M##### F####### AWESOME!!!  Seriously, it wasn't just entertaining it was hilarious like laugh out loud funny from start to finish.  At the same time it managed to be terribly violent without being gratuitous and serious without, ever, at any point, taking itself seriously.  The closest film I can compare it to is Kingsman, which I also loved.

Great film.  Highly recommend.  Would watch again.

No, why would you?

Because

It looked exactly like a helicarrier from the Disney franchises

I don't know if discussed previously in this giganto thread, but can someone fill me on the teams in this battle?  

Team Cap:

Cap, Hawkeye, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch

Team Iron Man:

Iron Man, Black Widow, War Machine, Vison, Black Panther, Spider-Man

Last summer I was thinking that 2014 may have been the peak for this generation of Marvel movies (Winter Soldier & Guardians). But we get this plus Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange later this year. Guardians 2 and Infinity War still ahead... 

Team Cap:

Cap, Hawkeye, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch

Team Iron Man:

Iron Man, Black Widow, War Machine, Vison, Black Panther, Spider-Man

Last summer I was thinking that 2014 may have been the peak for this generation of Marvel movies (Winter Soldier & Guardians). But we get this plus Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange later this year. Guardians 2 and Infinity War still ahead... 
This year will be better than 2014

just looking at the teams, Cap shouldn't stand a chance.  too bad Thor is sitting this one out.

Um, why does spiderman look fake

And I guess they are ditching the story of the reality TV superheroes messing everything up
Looks like they're going CGI for Spidey's costume because they learned nothing from Green Lantern.

As for the storyline - I wouldn't expect Civil War to match up with the comics.  For one thing, that story would take more than a single movie to tell.  I'm guessing they're calling this Civil War because it's similar to the comic storyline in that you have Team Cap vs Team Iron Man, and that the government is wanting to step in to limit superhumans.  But I wouldn't expect it to match up much beyond that.

I will say that I never read Civil War, so I can't say for certain it won't, just that I would be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread