Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread


Recommended Posts

put Brady against SF front 7 and he'll crumble like he did vs NYG. the WR's are really weak, steroid user edelman is always hurt, he's slower now, he doesn't look the same sans the steroids. 

o-line is pretty bad, this team is smoke and mirrors at the moment. as they play against better and better teams in the future ( playoffs, etc) they'll be exposed.

the lunacy of considering the defense one of the best ever, after Chubb just beat the living daylights out of them ,  is comical.I don't recall the 2000 ravens giving up that kind of rushing yards against anyone.or Legion of Boom. they were GASHED by Chubb - a bad team with a bad QB runs all over the Pats .not a good sign moving forward.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright. I figure this is as good of a place to do this as any. I've been on the Brady and Patriot hate train for a very long time. What we saw last night was the poise of a legendary QB and coach,

I heart BB when he talks X's and O's. Just heard radio interview with Hoodie and morphed into 15 minute discussion on Randy Moss. Said Moss is the smartest receiver he's ever seen.  Mentioned tha

Yeah, well he literally tried to **** our daughter, so he's not as high on my list as yours.

46 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

put Brady against SF front 7 and he'll crumble like he did vs NYG. the WR's are really weak, steroid user edelman is always hurt, he's slower now, he doesn't look the same sans the steroids. 

o-line is pretty bad, this team is smoke and mirrors at the moment. as they play against better and better teams in the future ( playoffs, etc) they'll be exposed.

the lunacy of considering the defense one of the best ever, after Chubb just beat the living daylights out of them ,  is comical.I don't recall the 2000 ravens giving up that kind of rushing yards against anyone.or Legion of Boom. they were GASHED by Chubb - a bad team with a bad QB runs all over the Pats .not a good sign moving forward.

 

You mean the 2000 Ravens that allowed 39 points to the 7-9 Jags including almost 300 receiving yards and 3 TD to Jimmy Smith?

Or the 2013 Seahawks who gave up 158 rushing yards to Mike James and 134 yards to Zac Stacy in back to back weeks?

THOSE TEAMS?

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tanner9919 said:

put Brady against SF front 7 and he'll crumble like he did vs NYG. the WR's are really weak, steroid user edelman is always hurt, he's slower now, he doesn't look the same sans the steroids. 

o-line is pretty bad, this team is smoke and mirrors at the moment. as they play against better and better teams in the future ( playoffs, etc) they'll be exposed.

the lunacy of considering the defense one of the best ever, after Chubb just beat the living daylights out of them ,  is comical.I don't recall the 2000 ravens giving up that kind of rushing yards against anyone.or Legion of Boom. they were GASHED by Chubb - a bad team with a bad QB runs all over the Pats .not a good sign moving forward.

 

I'm pretty sure minimizing running back yards is not the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

You mean the 2000 Ravens that allowed 39 points to the 7-9 Jags including almost 300 receiving yards and 3 TD to Jimmy Smith?

Or the 2013 Seahawks who gave up 158 rushing yards to Mike James and 134 yards to Zac Stacy in back to back weeks?

THOSE TEAMS?

Ha !  Hey Tanner, don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Ravens Will Win By 2 Scores and Compile Over 500 Yards of Offense

it’s a site covering the Ravens, but that’s still bold. One guy predicts at least 28 points for BAL. 

On the off chance this actually happens, the guy will look like a genius. 

If he's completely wrong, no one will remember in a month. 

In football parlance, he "made a business decision."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Patriots D seem to have the most trouble with QB's that run.

... but it's been a while since they last played a running threat QB. Mahomes last year?

Key will be keeping LJ in the pocket and making him throw the ball.

They will accomplish that by not rushing past him on the ends and holding their ground in the middle. Sprinkle in some well times blitzes.

On the other side of the ball, I'm hoping the offense can start to click a little better. 

I understand them wanting to get the run game going but I think if it isn't productive early they should turn Brady loose  ...

go with the old "no huddle" spread 'em out, RB out wide, type stuff. White / Watson / Edelman to all have big games.

Yeah, everybody knows you're throwing the ball when White is on the field. They still can't stop you. Give him the dang ball!

Pats 27 / Bal 20

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 3:52 PM, Bossman said:

Patriots D seem to have the most trouble with QB's that run.

... but it's been a while since they last played a running threat QB. Mahomes last year?

Key will be keeping LJ in the pocket and making him throw the ball.

They will accomplish that by not rushing past him on the ends and holding their ground in the middle. Sprinkle in some well times blitzes.

On the other side of the ball, I'm hoping the offense can start to click a little better. 

I understand them wanting to get the run game going but I think if it isn't productive early they should turn Brady loose  ...

go with the old "no huddle" spread 'em out, RB out wide, type stuff. White / Watson / Edelman to all have big games.

Yeah, everybody knows you're throwing the ball when White is on the field. They still can't stop you. Give him the dang ball!

Pats 27 / Bal 20

Pretty much saw what I expected from BAL last night ... and this NE defense is no different than it's been for the last couple of years.

Slooooow LB play which leads to TE's, pass catching RB's and running QB's giving them fits. Not so much the pass catching RB's on this night but TE's were running loose on them. I thought they did a much better job containing LJ in the second and 3rd qtr. although He still gashed them at times. (Van Noy peeking around the back side as LJ sprinted thru the hole that Van Noy should have been guarding. Can't coach stupid.)

What's worse, had BAL not gifted NE the muffed punt and later fumble ... this game wouldn't have even been close. Pretty much gifted the Pats 10 points early.

Penalty on the FG try? That's not Patriot football. That was a gift 4 points that might have helped NE momentum at that point I guess.

On offense, I predicted the spread "no huddle" which they went to out of the gate and it was eventually clicking to the point NE had BAL on their heels ... until the untimely Edleman fumble returned for 7.

Had Edleman not fumbled, BAL was having issues on D ... and I could see that ending in 7 for Pats there. So 14 point swing would have made that a different game.

Bottom line tho, looking past the mistakes / turnovers by both teams, Pats were out game-planned and out played on both sides of the ball.

Pats offense was moving the ball well at times but I just don't think Pats D has the players to match up with BAL offense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Pretty much saw what I expected from BAL last night ... and this NE defense is no different than it's been for the last couple of years.

Slooooow LB play which leads to TE's, pass catching RB's and running QB's giving them fits. Not so much the pass catching RB's on this night but TE's were running loose on them. I thought they did a much better job containing LJ in the second and 3rd qtr. although He still gashed them at times. (Van Noy peeking around the back side as LJ sprinted thru the hole that Van Noy should have been guarding. Can't coach stupid.)

What's worse, had BAL not gifted NE the muffed punt and later fumble ... this game wouldn't have even been close. Pretty much gifted the Pats 10 points early.

Penalty on the FG try? That's not Patriot football. That was a gift 4 points that might have helped NE momentum at that point I guess.

On offense, I predicted the spread "no huddle" which they went to out of the gate and it was eventually clicking to the point NE had BAL on their heels ... until the untimely Edleman fumble returned for 7.

Had Edleman not fumbled, BAL was having issues on D ... and I could see that ending in 7 for Pats there. So 14 point swing would have made that a different game.

Bottom line tho, looking past the mistakes / turnovers by both teams, Pats were out game-planned and out played on both sides of the ball.

Pats offense was moving the ball well at times but I just don't think Pats D has the players to match up with BAL offense.

Edelman holds on to the football and that is a COMPLETELY different football game. NE had gained momentum, the offense was starting to tire out the Ravens defense, and the NE defense was much better than the first quarter. The game was atypical in that NE was the one shooting themselves in the foot. BAL had several drives that would have been over if not for dumb NE penalties. I didn't realize the center can raise his head to simulate a snap and draw the offense offsides.

You want to say that BAL gifted NE points, but want to discount that NE gifted BAL points as well. It's still only one game, and IMO against more traditional offenses the defense will be fine (but not to the level of earlier this season). Guess what . . . the entire NFL looks slow compared to Lamar Jackson.

Yes, BAL looked better on the surface, but there were a lot of little things that exaggerated that. The FG turned into a TD on the offsides penalty. White slipping and not getting into the end zone. The hands to the face penalty that would have stopped a Ravens drive for a 3 and out. Obviously the Edelman penalty. There were a handful of plays that could have swung the game NE's way, so IMO the game was much closer than the score or the time of possession indicated.

I also think if there is a rematch in NE things will be much different. While NE's schedule hasn't been great, the Ravens schedule was also pretty light. BAL still needs to face HOU, SFO, BUF, LAR, and PIT (always a tough rivalry game). The point being, NE could get the rematch game at home, and as I posted in one of the other threads, one leg injury to Jackson and the Ravens would become an entirely different football team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been listening to the annual sky is falling talk on sports tv / radio. Apparently folks forget that NE has a dud early to mid season pretty much every year and most years things still turn out fine. They end up getting blown out on the road, lose to a pretty poor team somehow, or have a bunch of turnovers and blow a home game out of the blue in a game they should have won.

2019 BAL 20-37
2018 TEN 10-34
2017 MIA 20-27
2016 SEA 24-31
2015 PHI 28-35
2014 KCC 14-41
2013 CIN 6-13
2012 SFO 34-41
2011 BUF 31-34
2010 CLE 14-34
2009 NOS 17-38
2008 PIR 10-33
2006 MIA 0-21
2005 LAC 17-41
2004 PIT 20-34
2003 WAS 17-20
2002 NYJ 17-30
2001 MIA 10-30

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Been listening to the annual sky is falling talk on sports tv / radio. Apparently folks forget that NE has a dud early to mid season pretty much every year and most years things still turn out fine. They end up getting blown out on the road, lose to a pretty poor team somehow, or have a bunch of turnovers and blow a home game out of the blue in a game they should have won.

2019 BAL 20-37
2018 TEN 10-34
2017 MIA 20-27
2016 SEA 24-31
2015 PHI 28-35
2014 KCC 14-41
2013 CIN 6-13
2012 SFO 34-41
2011 BUF 31-34
2010 CLE 14-34
2009 NOS 17-38
2008 PIR 10-33
2006 MIA 0-21
2005 LAC 17-41
2004 PIT 20-34
2003 WAS 17-20
2002 NYJ 17-30
2001 MIA 10-30

The 2012 loss to SEA is the one chaffed my biscuits .... 

 You mad bro?

I was so mad, .... I wanted to stab Sherman with a pencil.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I really thought this was the week the Patriots would start to shine on offense.

After being humbled vs BAL and coming off a bye in which Sanu and Harry were able to practice in full ...

I'm pretty disappointed at how inept they still looked and I'm not sure the O-line is the only reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bossman said:

I really thought this was the week the Patriots would start to shine on offense.

After being humbled vs BAL and coming off a bye in which Sanu and Harry were able to practice in full ...

I'm pretty disappointed at how inept they still looked and I'm not sure the O-line is the only reason. 

It's 95% the OL. They have no run game with same RBs they ran very well with end of last year. And Brady is lucky to ever have any time to throw. 

The other 5% I would say is Brady being off. 

If Wynn doesn't help solve this problem it's a Balto-KC championship game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tombonneau said:

It's 95% the OL. They have no run game with same RBs they ran very well with end of last year. And Brady is lucky to ever have any time to throw. 

The other 5% I would say is Brady being off. 

If Wynn doesn't help solve this problem it's a Balto-KC championship game. 

Agree it’s the offensive line. Brady looked off but really the o-line has been the issue with the Pats the whole season

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ravens bills and eagles games all looked like this. They play small ball when they play good teams that can stop the run and get to Brady with a 4 man rush. Against the ravens they did a lot more curls with sanu, this time was screen after screen after screen, but that's more zone vs man.  They mix in some runs and take a deep shot if the safety cheats up (which worked exactly zero times this week) but one of the reasons the defense works so well is the offense gets them in position to pin their opponent inside the 5.  

That's not to say that peak Brady couldn't have thrown a few more intermediate passes, especially if he had gronk or... anyone besides just Edelman and white.  The eagles secondary might be bad but they're only bad if you've got receivers who are better than their d backs, and they were bracketing Edelman all game.  

Sometimes it looks inaccurate but that's because Brady throws away from the defender which is how they always win the turnover battle. 

You might remember Romo showing McDaniels talking to Brady and looking at pictures then running over to the other players to tell them about some genius adjustment.  Then Brady comes out and on the very next play he... throws the exact same route to James white in the right side flat that he'd thrown incomplete a couple times already, except this time it connected for about a 5 yard gain.

It's not an accident that they're throwing these crappy little dump offs, it's a big part of what they're trying to do. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tombonneau said:

It's 95% the OL. They have no run game with same RBs they ran very well with end of last year. And Brady is lucky to ever have any time to throw. 

The other 5% I would say is Brady being off. 

If Wynn doesn't help solve this problem it's a Balto-KC championship game. 

I don't know if it's the Boston media that has every turned into Debbie Downers on NE or what. In their last 16 games, NE has gone 14-2. If they beat DAL this week, they will up that mark to 15-1. Sure, the offense hasn't looked great and there are reasons for that.

There has been a revolving door at receiver between last year and this year. Last night was Harry's first game, Sanu's second game, and Watson has only played in a few games. Sanu is coming off a tweaked ankle, Dorsett has been dinged on and off, and Brady doesn't appear to be a fan of Meyers.

The OL has been a patchwork quilt. Newhouse is the second worst qualifying LT according to PFF. Wynn, even if he is league average, would be a huge improvement.

As outlined several times in several places, last year the Pats had 5 OL starters healthy and extremely productive and had to road grader tight ends in Gronk and Allen. Their TE's this year have been abysmal at blocking. Michel is not a guy that can make things happen on his own. I wasn't a fan when they drafted him, and it's clear his knee issues are worse than they anticipated. Bottom line, I doubt the team can go into dominating run mode like they did last year.

We are still almost two months away from the playoffs and they have plenty of time to fix some of their issues. If the Pats can get the #1 seed, they play WAY BETTER at home. Between last year and this year, they are 9-6 with a +5.7 scoring differential on the road and 13-0 with a +17.2 scoring differential at home.

It's also possible that KC and BAL have to face each other in the playoffs . . . assuming the Chiefs end up winning the West. If they lose tonight, they will be 8-8 in their last 16 games (9-7 if they don't) and the Raiders schedule is pretty soft other than their game with the Chiefs. 

If the Chiefs do start playing better, they would likely end up as the 3 seed (meaning they would have to go on the road to BAL if the Chiefs win their first post season game and if the Ravens are the 2 seed). All of that is a little premature, as we are a long way away from playoff seeding discussions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

It's all about whether or not they can sort things out before the playoffs, because the current offense is "one and done".

I remain hopeful due to the looming arrival of Wynn and more playtime for Sanu and Harry, but the current product is pretty weak.

Not singling you out, but what is getting lost here is the defense is now what the offense used to be. For example . . .

NE had over 600 yards of offense and did not punt once in the SB against the Eagles . . . and lost. They scored 33 points against the Dolphins last year . . . and lost. Between last year (7-0) and this year (1-1), they are 8-1 against playoff teams (this year based on current seedings).

In their last 16 games, the defense has allowed 10 or fewer point 8 times and 14 or fewer points 12 times. Since the Miami Miracle, the only game the Pats have allowed more than 14 points was the game against the Ravens.

I get that playoff teams will be better caliber teams, but the offense still has time to put the same offensive unit on the field (which they haven't been able to do at all this year). The point being, an average offense with that defense should still be able to win games.

The Ravens are clearly playing very well, but they still have to play at LAR, at BUF, and at CLE (who already beat the Ravens this year) and home against SFO and PIT (with a home game against NYJ mixed in). IMO, I don't think the Ravens will be running the table. We'll have to see, obviously, but BAL looked very mediocre in close wins against ARI, CIN, and PIT early on. They may be peaking too early.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Not singling you out, but what is getting lost here is the defense is now what the offense used to be. For example . . .

NE had over 600 yards of offense and did not punt once in the SB against the Eagles . . . and lost. They scored 33 points against the Dolphins last year . . . and lost. Between last year (7-0) and this year (1-1), they are 8-1 against playoff teams (this year based on current seedings).

In their last 16 games, the defense has allowed 10 or fewer point 8 times and 14 or fewer points 12 times. Since the Miami Miracle, the only game the Pats have allowed more than 14 points was the game against the Ravens.

I get that playoff teams will be better caliber teams, but the offense still has time to put the same offensive unit on the field (which they haven't been able to do at all this year). The point being, an average offense with that defense should still be able to win games.

The Ravens are clearly playing very well, but they still have to play at LAR, at BUF, and at CLE (who already beat the Ravens this year) and home against SFO and PIT (with a home game against NYJ mixed in). IMO, I don't think the Ravens will be running the table. We'll have to see, obviously, but BAL looked very mediocre in close wins against ARI, CIN, and PIT early on. They may be peaking too early.

Without looking at matchups the rest of the way, playoff seeding, and predicting the future ...

just would be much more comforting if this offense was more efficient than 3 FG's and a trick play TD to win a game.

This defense is good but not as good as the numbers would have you believe. Need the offense to figure it out ... hopefully sooner rather than later.

Really missing Gronk these past 2 games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Parking this here for future reference since the argument of the AFC East being terrible is brought up so often in discussions of the Belicheck/Brady Patriots.   Here are the records going back to 2002 and in those 17 years the Patriots record in the AFC East is a total of 4 games better than the non-divisional conference games.   Their AFC East winning percentage is virtually identical to their NFC winning percentage.   I know others have pointed it out but this will serve as an easy reference point to link back to.

Patriots Record by Season

Edited by yabahos
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yabahos said:

Parking this here for future reference since the argument of the AFC East being terrible is brought up so often in discussions of the Belicheck/Brady Patriots.   Here are the records going back to 2002 and in those 17 years the Patriots record in the AFC East is a total of 4 games better than the non-divisional conference games.   Their AFC East winning percentage is virtually identical to their NFC winning percentage.   I know others have pointed it out but this will serve as an easy reference point to link back to.

Patriots Record by Season

Yeah, but the Patriots only have to win one home game to get to the AFCCG each year, so clearly they benefit from playing in the AFC East. I don't care what their record says. They wouldn't do that every year in another division. No way, no how. It's not even open for debate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Yeah, but the Patriots only have to win one home game to get to the AFCCG each year, so clearly they benefit from playing in the AFC East. I don't care what their record says. They wouldn't do that every year in another division. No way, no how. It's not even open for debate.

David, you do a really good job of cutting through the clutter of misinformation.

Then you turn around (many times in the same post) and go to the same hyperbole you rail against. 

Relax. You're not changing anyone's mind. Most folks who hate a team/program will do so no matter what you say. No reason to stoop to their level like a damned Yinzer.

signed,

Ravens fan

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

David, you do a really good job of cutting through the clutter of misinformation.

Then you turn around (many times in the same post) and go to the same hyperbole you rail against. 

Relax. You're not changing anyone's mind. Most folks who hate a team/program will do so no matter what you say. No reason to stoop to their level like a damned Yinzer.

signed,

Ravens fan

I don't generally post smack in other threads, but since this one is in a Patriots-only thread I felt compelled to go there. I get that 45 states in the country want the Patriots to crash and burn, as do much of the sports media. As you said, haters gonna hate and no one will convince them otherwise. But it's all good. None of what any of the stuff anyone posts is going to change the results on the field.

I have more of an issue with the sports talking heads, as they should know better. As you said, guys that post here are typically a fan rooting for another team. This morning I watched Get Up and the panel slammed the Patriots something fierce . . . and Mike Greenberg had to be the voice of reason by finally chiming in that they are 9-1, how bad could they be?

I forgot who it was, but someone this week had NE ranked 6th in his power rankings. I don't so much care who ranks teams where in a made up hypothetical exercise, but his rationale was that NE isn't a good team, they haven't beaten anyone, and they are frauds and have been for years.

I saw some discussion on them this morning from NFL Game Day Prime, and Deion Sanders was on point (as he usually is). The discussion was centered around how the Eagles lost the game, NE did nothing to win it, and PHI gave the game away. Primetime's position was NE doesn't always look good but they win, and people need to give credit to NE for making Wentz and the PHI offense look bad. The discussion started to turn to Wentz was missing key pieces on offense, and again Sanders jumped in saying there is not a team in the league that doesn't have players out with injuries.

Anyhoo, this NE defense still putting up impressive overall, even if NEW ENGLAND fans don't want to acknowledge it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I don't know if it's the Boston media that has every turned into Debbie Downers on NE or what. In their last 16 games, NE has gone 14-2. If they beat DAL this week, they will up that mark to 15-1. Sure, the offense hasn't looked great and there are reasons for that.

There has been a revolving door at receiver between last year and this year. Last night was Harry's first game, Sanu's second game, and Watson has only played in a few games. Sanu is coming off a tweaked ankle, Dorsett has been dinged on and off, and Brady doesn't appear to be a fan of Meyers.

The OL has been a patchwork quilt. Newhouse is the second worst qualifying LT according to PFF. Wynn, even if he is league average, would be a huge improvement.

As outlined several times in several places, last year the Pats had 5 OL starters healthy and extremely productive and had to road grader tight ends in Gronk and Allen. Their TE's this year have been abysmal at blocking. Michel is not a guy that can make things happen on his own. I wasn't a fan when they drafted him, and it's clear his knee issues are worse than they anticipated. Bottom line, I doubt the team can go into dominating run mode like they did last year.

We are still almost two months away from the playoffs and they have plenty of time to fix some of their issues. If the Pats can get the #1 seed, they play WAY BETTER at home. Between last year and this year, they are 9-6 with a +5.7 scoring differential on the road and 13-0 with a +17.2 scoring differential at home.

It's also possible that KC and BAL have to face each other in the playoffs . . . assuming the Chiefs end up winning the West. If they lose tonight, they will be 8-8 in their last 16 games (9-7 if they don't) and the Raiders schedule is pretty soft other than their game with the Chiefs. 

If the Chiefs do start playing better, they would likely end up as the 3 seed (meaning they would have to go on the road to BAL if the Chiefs win their first post season game and if the Ravens are the 2 seed). All of that is a little premature, as we are a long way away from playoff seeding discussions.

Well, I live in Krakow, so the Boston talk radio can't infect me. 😛 But I just call it like I see it. Hopefully Wynn solves the issues. They just needs to be average, as you allude to. I'm not a chicken little writing the season off, they virtually already have a bye locked up, just saying if that kind of performance shows up in January,  the D better be close to pitching a shutout.

I'll also say that I think part of the whinging of NE fans about a 9-1 team now has to do with the ticking clock with Brady as well. Only so many bites of the apple left. So pissing away a season because you lack sufficient OL depth to protect your 42 year-old QB is a bit of a bitter pill. Especially when you've spent almost 20 years watching Dante S. turn castoffs into Pro Bowlers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

Well, I live in Krakow, so the Boston talk radio can't infect me. 😛 But I just call it like I see it. Hopefully Wynn solves the issues. They just needs to be average, as you allude to. I'm not a chicken little writing the season off, they virtually already have a bye locked up, just saying if that kind of performance shows up in January,  the D better be close to pitching a shutout.

I'll also say that I think part of the whinging of NE fans about a 9-1 team now has to do with the ticking clock with Brady as well. Only so many bites of the apple left. So pissing away a season because you lack sufficient OL depth to protect your 42 year-old QB is a bit of a bitter pill. Especially when you've spent almost 20 years watching Dante S. turn castoffs into Pro Bowlers.

I look at things differently. At this point, I don't think TB12 is a top tier option at QB compared to the rest of the league for a number of reasons. One, I have grown tired of him griping about things. Sure, it would be nice to have a true, high priced WR1 . . . but then they would need to trim payroll elsewhere to accommodate that (and come up with $15-18 million a year to get an established guy if one is even out there). Given the way the team is constructed, the receiving corps should be could enough to score 17-20 points a game or more on their own, but Tom seems to have no interest in working with young receivers. Meyers and Harry could be decent contributors on the offense, yet Tom doesn't seem to want to integrate them. They can also use White and Burkhead on routes, so there should be enough puzzle pieces to cobble together some offense.

I also sense Brady isn't as engaged as in the past, and I think he gets too frustrated and gives up on plays too soon on occasion. Last night it seems like he rushed throws for pressure that wasn't really there. Sure, an incompletion is better than a sack or a turnover, but I felt there were plays that he looked deep when he could have hit someone underneath for some yardage to avoid third and long situations. I also think they need to do a better job scheming based on the guys on the field vs. plays in the playbook because of the limitations they have offensively at the moment.

The other thing is I don't think Brady is consistently as good skill wise anymore. No shame in having some diminished skills after 20 years, but he needs to be better more often (or in big spots). What doesn't make sense to me is why they haven't gone out and picked up a BLOCKING TE to help in the run and passing games. LaCosse and Watson can't block (and neither can Newhouse for that matter), so until they fix things they will sputter offensively.

As I mentioned earlier, a lot of it isn't Brady's fault. The receiving options are only ok and they don't really have a great outside option. Dorsett is fast but can only be used situationally. The verdict is out on Harry, but if Brady isn't going to look at those two very often, it may not matter if they get open if he doesn't see them.

IMO, the only way the run game is going to improve is to go no huddle and pass effectively and then mix in a run or an audible. But that does not play to having Michel on the field. So I have very little faith that they will be able to establish a consistent running game. With Michel on the field, their best bet is to hope Wynn can get Michel to a 4.0 ypc and set up some play action. But they aren't going to have a 150 yard game on the ground.

So 17-20 points from the offense, a key turnover or two (or a score) from the defense and they should be in the 20-24 point range (maybe more against inferior teams). Yes, the defense will have to be "on" most weeks to win that way, but Brady and the offense won't be able to blow teams out based solely on the offense. They may need the GOAT to win them a game in crunch time, but they won't get the guy that had 500+ yards basing in the PHI SB. But if the defense is going to give up 30+ points this version of the team will be hard pressed to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

 I get that 45 states in the country want the Patriots to crash and burn, as do much of the sports media. As you said, haters gonna hate and no one will convince them otherwise. But it's all good.

Anyhoo, this NE defense still putting up impressive overall, even if NEW ENGLAND fans don't want to acknowledge it.

Waiiit!  45 states? I thought there were FIFTY states, not 46?????

Edited by Truebluey
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

Waiiit!  45 states? I thought there were FIFTY states, not 46?????

Alternatively, which of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut are not being lumped into the Patriots' viewing area alongside Massachusetts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Alternatively, which of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut are not being lumped into the Patriots' viewing area alongside Massachusetts?

At the time I lived in Connecticut, there were more Jets and Giants fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

It's all about whether or not they can sort things out before the playoffs, because the current offense is "one and done".

I remain hopeful due to the looming arrival of Wynn and more playtime for Sanu and Harry, but the current product is pretty weak.

I hate to say this (as a Patriots hater) but nobody from the AFC is beating New England in the playoffs if they're the 1 seed.  It just isn't happening.  

Edited by fred_1_15301
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

At the time I lived in Connecticut, there were more Jets and Giants fans.

CT HATES the Patriots for playing them for chumps in the Hartford Stadium debacle. 

 

Although I laughed so hard at the dumb CT polis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 8:36 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

I hate to say this (as a Patriots hater) but nobody from the AFC is beating New England in the playoffs if they're the 1 seed.  It just isn't happening.  

I think the Ravens can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, simey said:

I think the Ravens can.

They certainly look like they’ve got the goods to do it but for as good as LJ has been playing, he’s still very young.  We’ve seen what BB does to young QBs second time around.  I’m pretty sure all of the teams that have beaten BB/Brady in the playoffs had a veteran QB (Manning brothers, Flacco, Foles).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 8:36 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

I hate to say this (as a Patriots hater) but nobody from the AFC is beating New England in the playoffs if they're the 1 seed.  It just isn't happening.  

Don't look now, but since the Pats started with what could have been one of the easiest first half schedules in recent memory, they have been outscored 56 to 50 in their last 3 games vs BAL, PHI, and DAL.  They were crushing their opponents because they were getting leads, forcing their opponents to abandon the run.  They have one of the best pass defenses, and they are susceptible to the run.  Luckily for them, they face HOU, KC, CIN, BUF, and MIA down the stretch.  The only teams left with decent running games are HOU and BUF.  If the playoffs started today, NE would be the #1 seed, and the rest in the AFC would be BAL, HOU, KC, BUF, and PIT.  Of this list, the only team without a chance is PIT IMO.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Don't look now, but since the Pats started with what could have been one of the easiest first half schedules in recent memory, they have been outscored 56 to 50 in their last 3 games vs BAL, PHI, and DAL.  They were crushing their opponents because they were getting leads, forcing their opponents to abandon the run.  They have one of the best pass defenses, and they are susceptible to the run.  Luckily for them, they face HOU, KC, CIN, BUF, and MIA down the stretch.  The only teams left with decent running games are HOU and BUF.  If the playoffs started today, NE would be the #1 seed, and the rest in the AFC would be BAL, HOU, KC, BUF, and PIT.  Of this list, the only team without a chance is PIT IMO.  

Would you bet against BB in Foxboro in the playoffs?  In the past 3 games, they still won 2 of them and the defense played very good (with the exception of the Ravens game).  Quite honestly the only team in the AFC that I think has a legit shot to beat the Patriots in Foxboro.  They have a full combination of offense, defense and coaching that could match the Patriots. I think all of the other teams in the AFC have at least one major deficiency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I think all of the other teams in the AFC have at least one major deficiency.

Though I do agree it's not smart to bet against BB in Foxboro, NE has it's own major deficiency.  They are 23rd in rushing yards, and are 30th in YPC.  Only MIA and NYJ have lower YPC's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way to discount what the Ravens are doing.  At a minimum, they have a 30%-40% chance of beating the Patriots if the game is in Foxborough.  But Lamar is young and could choke.  And Belichick is probably spending more than 50% of his time right now studying and strategerizing against the Ravens.  The Patriots will be prepared.

Edited by Don Hutson
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheWinz said:

Though I do agree it's not smart to bet against BB in Foxboro, NE has it's own major deficiency.  They are 23rd in rushing yards, and are 30th in YPC.  Only MIA and NYJ have lower YPC's.

Whatever deficiencies the Patriots have, they make up for it with their huge coaching advantage.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Whatever deficiencies the Patriots have, they make up for it with their huge coaching advantage.  

Just pointing out that NE does have a glaring weakness.  But yes, if any coaching staff can mask weaknesses, it's BB

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheWinz said:

Just pointing out that NE does have a glaring weakness.  But yes, if any coaching staff can mask weaknesses, it's BB

I still can't rule out BB in the playoffs but I'm willing to admit that he has his toughest challenge in the last 15 years. His offense is completely inept and I'm not sure the defense is talented enough to overcome that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I still can't rule out BB in the playoffs but I'm willing to admit that he has his toughest challenge in the last 15 years. His offense is completely inept and I'm not sure the defense is talented enough to overcome that.  

If anyone can do it, it will be Belichick.  Unreal how much he has masked the deficiencies on defense. They have basically faced three really good/great offenses this season, and two of them have taken them to the woodshed (and the third had a bad day due to awful rain). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bossman said:

LOL ... from a NFC East / Cowboys fan?

How does your foot taste?

Hardly a fair comparison.....the eagles, cowboys, and giants have at least been relevant in the last decade.....when was the last time the Jets, bills, Phins were relevant, at all?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...