What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (6 Viewers)

Cams contract is not a starting qb contract. Starting to get feeling Pats are in love with 1 or 2 QBs prospects not named Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields.

whether that’s Jones, Lance, or Trask is anyone’s guess but I would not be surprised to see them move up to take Wilson or Fields either.

They have filled out their roster nicely except for O Line - they can afford to trade this years first, next years first and more to move up to nab that qb and still be in great shape. 

And I don’t think it’s too far fetched to see them in on Russell Wilson or DeShaun Watson by giving up multiple firsts and a couple of players.
A major advantage Pats have is we are used to getting nothing from first two rounds. So giving away several first and second rounders to get something decent would delight us. 

bostonfred said:
At this point if I'm fournette Carson or Conner I'm suddenly very interested in playing here.  Jonnu Henry brown bourne all big time upgrades in run blocking and they will be able to break big runs but won't need 20 carries to do it. Could extend their careers. 
Pats talking to Carson as we speak

Dynasty & Redraft: Patriots TE Hunter Henry - Bill Belichick cares nothing about your fantasy football team
This should be the name of this thread for real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats talking to Carson as we speak
Now that is a player who would be awesome in that offense. Much better runner and receiver than Fournette. Just kind of seems like overkill though with Harris and Michel there. (Cue conspiracy theorists who believe one of those backs will go to Seattle in a Russel Wilson deal)

Listening to the radio today has been interesting. Many of the callers are looking to move multiple picks and mostly flotsam and jetsam to get Watson (not gonna happen). The hosts are adamant that they need to trade the 15th pick for Jimmy G (which I wouldn’t love because if he becomes available it wouldn’t take that to acquire him). Some folks think Gilmore and the 15th pick would net them a Top 5 pick (no way . . . Not nearly enough). People bickering over who they should move up for. Folks complaining why didn’t they restock the offense like this when Brady was still around (apparently they never heard the term SALRAY CAP before). Folks alternating between them being a SB contender and a .500 team. 

In other news, Jay Glazer says the Pats aren’t close to being done in free agency. 

No truth to the rumor the Celtics decided not to use their $28.5 million traded player exception and gave it to the Patriots instead. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to the radio today has been interesting. Many of the callers are looking to move multiple picks and mostly flotsam and jetsam to get Watson (not gonna happen). The hosts are adamant that they need to trade the 15th pick for Jimmy G (which I wouldn’t love because if he becomes available it wouldn’t take that to acquire him). Some folks think Gilmore and the 15th pick would net them a Top 5 pick (no way . . . Not nearly enough). People bickering over who they should move up for. Folks complaining why didn’t they restock the offense like this when Brady was still around (apparently they never heard the term SALRAY CAP before). Folks alternating between them being a SB contender and a .500 team. 

In other news, Jay Glazer says the Pats aren’t close to being done in free agency. 
Yeah some real crazy talk re Watson, no way do they have the juice to even come close IMO

That’s odd. Seems redundant with Michel and Harris on roster.

James White needs to be replaced, they need that quick back who can catch passes in this offense. Wonder if that will be a draft target.
Maybe I'm out of touch, but why aren't they trying to re-sign White with all this money?

Pretty interesting spending spree. Definitely looks like a run heavy build, which makes sense with BB in charge watching the entire league shift to 4/2 type fronts defensively. Time to shift and run the ball down teams throats. Sure looks like a team being built for a rookie QB to be eased in. As much as I'd love to land Watson and think BBs drafting history makes it easy to send lots of 1st/2nd rounders, it doesn't seem likely.  

This is the year to strike for a young QB. Deep class; 15 overall is a decent piece of capital to package up to move up to 8ish for a top target. Maybe Harry gets dumped in that package for a big win by BB on draft day? (imo, by the end of the season Harry started to show he wasn't as soft as he appeared early in the season. I'm not sold on him being a complete bust but adding him to a deal would still feel like a coup)

How any knowledgeable fan can listen to sports radio is beyond me lol

Maybe I'm out of touch, but why aren't they trying to re-sign White with all this money?
Because they are more into running the ball than passing it to RBs. White doesn't run that well (as a runner) and didn't seem to work well with Cam. And he's 29 (which is getting up there in RB years. Who knows, he may want more than they want to pay him and / or maybe he wants out of NE. Remember, he didn't even get to 500 YFS last year. Maybe BB doesn't think he is worth the money without TB there.

How any knowledgeable fan can listen to sports radio is beyond me lol
Well, one of the ways I think about it is this.  (And my assumption is you're listening to your own local sports radio show.)  It is like background talk and once in a while a nugget comes out and you perk up and pay attention to it then.  Otherwise, it's like elevator music.

IMO, the sooner NE realizes there is a reason why Cam is 8-17 in his last 25 starts, the sooner they can move on to going back to winning football. He had a passer rating under 75 in 11 of those games and had under 200 yards passing in 12 of them. He's also only thrown 8 TD in his last 19 games (with 13 INTs). Yeah, sure, he's had some rushing TD (12), but 20 total TD in 19 games is nothing to write home about.

What is latest rumors? I heard maybe Chris Carson or Leonard Fournette at RB. And maybe a return of Kyle Van Noy. 

Any other rumors of potential signings?

Also, does the Bourne signing signal Edelman not playing this year?

When we see the actual contracts, I expect nearly all of them will have healthy signing bonuses and hardly any first-year money (probably the minimum).

That's the mechanism which allows the Patriots to go all-in signing anybody and everybody they want and push the cap hits into the presumed bountiful-TV-contract-years-to-come

What is latest rumors? I heard maybe Chris Carson or Leonard Fournette at RB. And maybe a return of Kyle Van Noy. 

Any other rumors of potential signings?

Also, does the Bourne signing signal Edelman not playing this year?
LOL. I love absolute questions when there is a lot of gray zone for things that could go in multiple directions. Yes, NE is said to be in on Fournette and Carson (and RBs in general). Van Noy is unsigned and I am sure they've spoken to his agent. If he wants max money, he probably will talk to 30 other teams to see if he can get it. Edelman is not healthy and could be done. Or he could be not healthy and get better. The Pats are said to be still in on some of the receivers. If they add someone else, they could just opt to move on from Edelman. We are still 6 months away from the start of the season . . . maybe he gets better, maybe he doesn't. No one could answer that one right now. They now have a ton of receivers on the roster, so who knows what they will do with them all (cut them? trade them? send to the practice squad?).

The one thing I heard discussed today is that given the inability to meet with college players, NE is more into established players than rookies at this point. Maybe that means they trade picks for established players. Or maybe they trade back 10 times and pick up picks in next year's draft. I am hearing NE and MIA are battling each other for Andrews and Karas would likely end up on the team that doesn't get Andrews. They are also in on the center the Raiders released today.

When we see the actual contracts, I expect nearly all of them will have healthy signing bonuses and hardly any first-year money (probably the minimum).

That's the mechanism which allows the Patriots to go all-in signing anybody and everybody they want and push the cap hits into the presumed bountiful-TV-contract-years-to-come
As I mentioned once or twice already, NE doesn't have many people signed past this season . . . meaning they have a blank canvas to go after just about anyone and start slotting the cap hits in future seasons. Last I saw, they still had $49 million in cap space for this season (but there are contracts that have been signed that aren't included yet). Agholor, Anderson, Brown, and Henry have no associated cap hits listed yet. The other guys do. They also have plenty of candidates now to rework deals or move on from (which would free up more cap space).

I like the Hunter Henry + Jonnu Smith combo at TE. Tight ends are the most underpaid position (except maybe quarterback) - these guys add more to the team (especially the passing game) than a comparably priced WR (like, say, Nelson Agholor).

If you're going to spend on 2 big TEs then you have to have a plan for how you're going to use them in your offense (otherwise you wind up in a Witten-Bennett or VDavis-DWalker kind of situation where the 2nd TE is underutilized & not helping the team much). But I think the Pats do.

All the moves have now led to people and media types to concoct ways for Deshaun Watson to end up on NE. Jeff Howe explained his cap it is so low this year (like $10M), the Pats could trade for him and still have money left to keep binge signing players. 

IMO, the sooner NE realizes there is a reason why Cam is 8-17 in his last 25 starts, the sooner they can move on to going back to winning football. He had a passer rating under 75 in 11 of those games and had under 200 yards passing in 12 of them. He's also only thrown 8 TD in his last 19 games (with 13 INTs). Yeah, sure, he's had some rushing TD (12), but 20 total TD in 19 games is nothing to write home about.
My rational brain sees your logic here, but tilts when I think about why BB and McD don't seem to be following your script...unless they have a pending QB power move in the draft (I'm discounting Russell and Deshaun fantasies).

Anyone other than Hoodie and this free agency I'd consider a probable disaster. History has shown a very very low success rate for top-o-the-market FA signings, which pretty much all of these were - relative to the talent landed. That said, I think Hoodie & Co. are much better than the vast majority of teams in assessing organizational, culture and roster fits from the league scrap heap, and this is the first year where they had this muh latitude to poach other rosters. We'll see if the day-1 FA curse strikes them, as it has so many others, but I'm not going to bet against them making all these new pieces fit into a new highly-competitive pie.

Anyone other than Hoodie and this free agency I'd consider a probable disaster. History has shown a very very low success rate for top-o-the-market FA signings, which pretty much all of these were - relative to the talent landed. That said, I think Hoodie & Co. are much better than the vast majority of teams in assessing organizational, culture and roster fits from the league scrap heap, and this is the first year where they had this muh latitude to poach other rosters. We'll see if the day-1 FA curse strikes them, as it has so many others, but I'm not going to bet against them making all these new pieces fit into a new highly-competitive pie.
It's not just the top of the market players they got, it’s the ability to lure veterans later like they did when Brady was here.  They were going to have a hard time competing for that linebacker on a one year minimum contract that used to be a staple of their rosters.  These signings will help them get deals later. 

NE in on Golladay, Samuel, and Keenan Cole. Said to have been offered an early second for Gilmore. 
If the goal is to move up in the draft what they get for Gilmore (I am assuming he will be dealt) becomes that much more important...not sure anyone is going to give up more than that at his age and knowing he wants a new deal. 

We won’t know exactly how things stand until all the new contracts are filed and reported. But with multiple guys taking $1 million first year salaries with bonuses, NE is estimated to still have $35-40M in cap room left. And they still have guys they can extend, renegotiate, or cut to free up more space. 

I guess how much cap room they have left depends on who is listing it. Jeff Howe said $35-40M. Mike Reiss says $15-20M. Patscap says $30M. Spotrac says $37M. OTC says $21M.

I guess how much cap room they have left depends on who is listing it. Jeff Howe said $35-40M. Mike Reiss says $15-20M. Patscap says $30M. Spotrac says $37M. OTC says $21M.
Last night over the cap had them at 33 million. I think they are guessing because the Trent Brown contract shouldn’t be that high since I heard he took pay cut. I thought contract was around ten million? 

Last night over the cap had them at 33 million. I think they are guessing because the Trent Brown contract shouldn’t be that high since I heard he took pay cut. I thought contract was around ten million? 
1 year for $11M is what was announced at the time.

The question circling the web has been what would it take to acquire Watson. The framework for an answer has mostly been something like 3 firsts, a second, and Gilmore.

The question circling the web has been what would it take to acquire Watson. The framework for an answer has mostly been something like 3 firsts, a second, and Gilmore.
Makes no sense to me, they would all be low 1st rounders(highest being 15 this year). Plus Watson has to waive his no trade and Pats haven't been on any of his destination lists that I have seen. This is nothing but talk show fodder IMO

Gilmore makes zero sense for the Texans...they are rebuilding and in tough cap shape...Gilmore doesn't help in either area...with the 15th pick this year and the probability they have built themselves into a playoff level team again (i.e. their #1's should not be overly high) I just don't think they have enough to wow the Texans (and I hope I am very wrong).

Makes no sense to me, they would all be low 1st rounders(highest being 15 this year). Plus Watson has to waive his no trade and Pats haven't been on any of his destination lists that I have seen. This is nothing but talk show fodder IMO
All along I have felt Watson was never an option (and still do). Just ways to fill up air time or get clicks on articles or tweets. Once they get done dreaming about Watson, things generally move to NE is shaping up to look a lot like SF . . . which invariable leads to Jimmy G ending up on NE. While he's an upgrade passing wise over Cam, I still don't love that idea. He hasn't been able to stay on the field and IMO has been average when he's played. quite frankly, he isn't worth $25-26M a year for the next 2 years.

PFF had Jimmy G with a 67.5 rating and Cam at 70.9 in 2020. JG was rated at 77.8 in 2019 and 62.6 in 2018. Newton was rated 70.9 in 2018 and 66.5 in 2017. Call me skeptical if Garoppolo is supposed to be the answer to the QB riddle. Both of these guys should not be expected to be the guy to lead a team looking to make a deep run.

All along I have felt Watson was never an option (and still do). Just ways to fill up air time or get clicks on articles or tweets. Once they get done dreaming about Watson, things generally move to NE is shaping up to look a lot like SF . . . which invariable leads to Jimmy G ending up on NE. While he's an upgrade passing wise over Cam, I still don't love that idea. He hasn't been able to stay on the field and IMO has been average when he's played. quite frankly, he isn't worth $25-26M a year for the next 2 years.

PFF had Jimmy G with a 67.5 rating and Cam at 70.9 in 2020. JG was rated at 77.8 in 2019 and 62.6 in 2018. Newton was rated 70.9 in 2018 and 66.5 in 2017. Call me skeptical if Garoppolo is supposed to be the answer to the QB riddle. Both of these guys should not be expected to be the guy to lead a team looking to make a deep run.
I think the fan base thinks that BB will sprinkle his coaching dust on Jimmy G and unlock something. That plus the constant Jimmy G talk from the local media and it has really snowballed. I personally would rather just start fresh with someone in the draft, this year or next. 

Louis Riddick tweeted that teams that have spent the most in free agency have all improved over the last few seasons:

Top Free Agent Spender
2020 Dolphins +5 Wins
2019 Jets +3
2018 Bears +7
2017 Jaguars +7
2016 Giants +5

Wonder if that means Andrews is gone...with all the $ the Pats have been throwing around you would think if both parties wanted it to happen it would be done by now.
Evidently Andrews already let Pats know he is interested in testing market. So this must mean the Pats didn’t offer him as much as he wanted. I’d be interested to see how Karras ranks for centers according to Pff grade. I don’t have subscription though.

Users who are viewing this thread