What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (7 Viewers)

Pats should be able to make several more moves once they cut that bloated DL and send him and his greedy fat ### wife Bianca out of town.

I will take BJ Raja, Edleman, Guion, Bailey and Avant over retaining Vince.
What's awesome about the Browner move is that the Pats can cover up his deficiencies on deep balls with safety help over the top with Revis shutting down the other half of the field. Leaves BB lots of room to do what he does best: lay the lumber.

This is shaping up to be a physical, shutdown defensive backfield.
I liked the Revis signing but I don't love this signing as much. It makes me think the Patriots are just trying to copy the Seahawks blue print to beat the Broncos. It also reminds of back in 07 when the Giants beat the Patriots in the super bowl and for the next 5 years it seemed like every pass rusher got a huge amount of money as a free agent from teams that were trying to copy the Giants concept. I guess my point is it usually doesn't work to copy another team. It works best when you follow your own system and get players that fit that system. Then again I am just a fan.
I'd agree, except that this does make sense in the overall context of what the Patriots have been missing and the makeup of the top teams they will have to beat to get to a Super Bowl. Denver is the most likely problem for the Pats to get to the Super Bowl, and the defensive backfield they've put together this offseason, if it stays healthy, should be strong enough to handle the Denver offense.

While this may look like a copycat scenario, I think it's more a function of what they perceive as the primary need to be able to get at least one game deeper. I tend to agree that this has been a weakness of the D for the past few years, and these signings ( and I'll state that Browner without Revis would not be that great ) will change that in a huge way. Revis can take one side, give safety help to Browner, Denard, Ryan or even Arrington on the slot. Collins to cover the TE or RB. I think you see a major uptick in coverage sacks this year.

Should be fun to watch.

Edelman may be back with the Pats huh? Maybe every other team realized that he is a product of the system and nothing more. Maybe Pats fans will realized he has just as much of a checkered injury history as Amendola but because he stayed healthy one year in the Patriots offense now he is a stud.

Both have played five seasons and Amendola has played 10 fewer games (For as much as he is hated for injuries, Amendola has missed less than 11 games in a season only once), played on a worse team for four of his five seasons and has 76 more catches than Edelman and the exact same amount of 16 game seasons at one. This after Edelman had 105 catches last year, so you are going to tell me with a straight face the Edelman is more valuable? The fantasy and football world amuses me sometimes.

Edelman has the exact same chance of getting hurt as Amendola and is only half a year younger than him too. Amendola is getting the same exact treatment as Edelman was last year, no respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
let's get this season started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps

quit talking #### about vince, you idiots
Vince was ineffective last year and out of shape which led him to getting hurt. He gave them nothing last year but doesn't want to restructure the last year of his deal? I blame his fat ### wife as she is driving this move but he comes out of this badly. The pats will be in much better shape releasing him provided they can sign the right 3 guys will the saved money.

ps

Vince was ineffective last year and out of shape which led him to getting hurt. He gave them nothing last year but doesn't want to restructure the last year of his deal? I blame his fat ### wife as she is driving this move but he comes out of this badly. The pats will be in much better shape releasing him provided they can sign the right 3 guys will the saved money.
You blame his wife and call her names? I love big and bad people without class on the internet. What does calling a mans wife name have to do with him wanting billionaires to honor their end of a deal?

ps

Vince was ineffective last year and out of shape which led him to getting hurt. He gave them nothing last year but doesn't want to restructure the last year of his deal? I blame his fat ### wife as she is driving this move but he comes out of this badly. The pats will be in much better

shape releasing him provided they can sign the right 3 guys will the saved money.
You blame his wife and call her names? I love

big and bad people without class on the internet. What does calling a mans wife name have to do with him wanting billionaires to honor their end of a deal?
She is his business manager and has no clue how the NFL works. All NFL contracts work the same way and what veteran doesn't have to rework the last year of their contract when they are sitting on a huge cap number? Asking for a release is dumb business because Vince will make less money elsewhere compared to what he would make with a restructured deal with the Pats. They are making it personal instead of making a smart business decision. I'm responding in kind.

ps

Vince was ineffective last year and out of shape which led him to getting hurt. He gave themnothing last year but doesn't want to restructure the last year of his deal? I blame his fat ### wife as she is driving this move but he comes out of this badly. The pats will be in much better

shape releasing him provided they can sign the right 3 guys will the saved money.
You blame his wife and call her names? I love

big and bad people without class on the internet. What does calling a mans wife name have to do with him wanting billionaires to honor their end of a deal?
She is his business manager and has no clue how the NFL works. All NFL contracts work the same way and what veteran doesn't have to rework the last year of their contract when they are sitting on a huge cap number? Asking for a release is dumb business because Vince will make less money elsewhere compared to what he would make with a restructured deal with the Pats. They are making it personal instead of making a smart business decision. I'm responding in kind.
Said much better this time then when you called his wife a bad name.

Vince does deserve what he is being paid. A lot of times people forget they are paid for what they have done not what they will do. By them asking Vince to take less they are forgetting what he has done for them. It is more than a respect thing on his end, it's a business decision too. Taking a restructure is fine, taking less is not unless you have done nothing in the NFL, and we all know Vince was a huge part of this teams success.

These owners as a whole are greedy SOBs and we all know it, they use these players up then throw them away then get mad when they want more money. By Vinces outrage I have a huge feeling they wanted him to take less not restructure and i already said why he doesn't deserve less. Vinces wife does not deserve the name calling.

People can complain all they want about players deserving to be paid, that they should reap the rewards of having performed well, and that owners should honor their commitments. That's great, but that's not realistic. On the flip side, players would then have to honor their contracts and not hold out because they ended up as All Pros on rookie contracts that paid them peanuts.rethren

The fact of the matter is, given the CBA and that players can get cut at any time, payment and salaries really are doled out on promise and future production not past performance. That's just the way it is. You really can't blame teams for cutting older guys with huge cap numbers that most times could not possibly live up to their cap number. If someone told you your house was worth $200,000, would you pay $1 million for it? Of course not.

I find it strange that in the most physical of the major sports, with the most contact, and with the greatest chance for serious life debilitating injuries that the players ever went for a system that they could get cut at the drop of a hat. IMO, they are the most at risk and the most likely to get hurt BY FAR of the major sports (except maybe car racing if that is considered a major sport). The large majority of the league gets paid far less than their superstar brethren, and most guys only play for a few years. And guys on special teams are just plain nuts to play for the few bucks they get to be kamikazes.

Yet baseball players who mostly stand around for 3 hours a game and occasionally endure nagging injuries get 9 figure, multiyear deals that are guaranteed? What's wrong with this picture? I am clearly over simplifying things, but IMO players in the NFL need to fight for guaranteed contracts. Who knows what that would do to the fabric of the game and the end product on the field, but than we would not have to discuss the "plight" of Vince Wilfork.

If they resign Edelman I hope its a team friendly deal. They didn't pay Welker, they sure as hell shouldn't pay third string Welker either.

Man, what a game changing set of acquisitions for the Pats. This year showed us that a good defense beats a good offense. And with Revis and Browner the Pats might have put together one of the best defenses in football. They need

Wilfork to shore up the run. He ain't going anywhere.

Here's what seems to be going on with Wilfork. He and Pepper Johnson were proverbial BFFs. Johnson wanted a larger coaching role with the Pats, never got one, and resigned and went to Buffalo. Brandon Spikes also was tight with Pepper . . . and signed with Buffalo. Sounds like Wilfork is not thrilled Pepper is gone and also wants to play for him in Buffalo. Thus why he wants to be released.

I am not sure how much damage there is between big Vince and the Pats, and maybe they can work out their difference. But I have a hard time seeing him playing for $7.5 million with an $11.8 million cap hit this year, especially if he is disgruntled. I've always liked Wilfork, but at this point he needs to come with a lower price tag or NE would be better served spending the money elsewhere.

I know it would be hard to replace him, but it's still possible that the team would be better off getting other guys at other positions than just having Vince. I don't know who they would slot in if Wilfork got cut either.

Man, what a game changing set of acquisitions for the Pats. This year showed us that a good defense beats a good offense. And with Revis and Browner the Pats might have put together one of the best defenses in football. They need

Wilfork to shore up the run. He ain't going anywhere.
I love the Browner signing even more because they added Revis...they are not asking Browner to come in and be the man...he will be their #2 and now Dennard, Ryan and Arrington become that much more effective in their roles...also, if Browner does flourish and Ryan and Dennard continue to develop they can let Revis walk if his price-tag gets too high...as for the rest of the D adding to the pass-rush should be priority #1...a legit pass-rush to go with the beefed up secondary can potentially take this D to a level where they can win playoff games should the O falter...they need to replace Vince but while you won't equal him I think it should not be too difficult to add a solid veteran along with a high-pick to what they currently have...offensively some depth to the interior O line is needed as is another quality TE...someone who has the ability to block and be a legit passing threat...WR is the big mystery right now...even if they bring back Edelman they need another solid veteran...I don't want to see a rookie WR brought in...they broke in three last year and Brady does not need to go thru that again...

Here's what seems to be going on with Wilfork. He and Pepper Johnson were proverbial BFFs. Johnson wanted a larger coaching role with the Pats, never got one, and resigned and went to Buffalo. Brandon Spikes also was tight with Pepper . . . and signed with Buffalo. Sounds like Wilfork is not thrilled Pepper is gone and also wants to play for him in Buffalo. Thus why he wants to be released.

I am not sure how much damage there is between big Vince and the Pats, and maybe they can work out their difference. But I have a hard time seeing him playing for $7.5 million with an $11.8 million cap hit this year, especially if he is disgruntled. I've always liked Wilfork, but at this point he needs to come with a lower price tag or NE would be better served spending the money elsewhere.

I know it would be hard to replace him, but it's still possible that the team would be better off getting other guys at other positions than just having Vince. I don't know who they would slot in if Wilfork got cut either.
I agree for the most part, but I am not sure he is hell bent on leaving and I think a major part of his unhappiness is due to the fact that he had the 6 yr rookie contract and had to wait so long to get his money. I think in his mind he feels the team owes him the money for the last yr of his contract. Combine all that with the above and I think there is a good chance he will now knowingly take less to play for someone else out of principal.

If that is the case then it is too bad, he is as good as gone and we need to move on. He has been a great player for us (until last year) and in return he has been paid in excess of 50mil for his services. Sorry Vince, don't let the door hit ya............

Sweet! Guy is such a weapon, would've been a big loss. It's official: Pats are knocking it over the green monstah! Wilfork? Allen? who's next baby.

Britts gort the size but not sure about the legs... one or 2 more guys, a decent draft, including TE and we should be in business. I'm not sure about Thompkins future with the team, could be a casualty. Blount would be important to have back too. Let's just suppose that Gronk is Gronk, Dobson and Boyce are good, Edelman and Amendola running around, Vereen, Ridley, Blount... oh boy! One more good sized receiver and a TE.... we're in.

I say you go back to what won you 3 Superbowls - a good offense with a smart QB that doesn't make mistakes, and a very good defense that keeps games close even against the best offenses. Getting very close to that formula... Just get a good pass rusher and it's on.

Last edited:
LaFell is in the fold, 6 feet 2 freakin inches!! lol Had his best year last year, how good is he? Any thoughts?
Meh, I understand Cam isn't near the passer that Brady is but LaFell has never wowed me when I watched Panther games. To put it a little clearer, a guy like D. Moore could be a good player if he wasn't in Oakland, D. Alexander jumped off the page when he was healthy and proved it when he got into a good spot. In my eyes Lafell won't be much better in New England

Forget Lafell and Britt. Those guys are junk. The 2nd year guys and Edelman are fine. With Amendola watching from the sideline in sweats of course. Gronk will be back and everything will be fine.

I don't see LaFell as anything more than as depth for the sophmores. Not a huge fan of resigning Edelman and then getting some mediocre depth.

Granted, they were in a pretty bad way last year, the rookies were collectively healthy not once so some depth is needed.

Guess my hope now is one of the good TEs falls to the Pats in the second round.

Lafell has 3 qualities the 3 young guys cant claim...hes a good blocking WR, he runs good routes and he is healthy. Add in Danny's frailty and Im glad the Pat's signed this supposedly "not very good" mediocre "depth".

I say you go back to what won you 3 Superbowls - a good offense with a smart QB that doesn't make mistakes, and a very good defense that keeps games close even against the best offenses. Getting very close to that formula... Just get a good pass rusher and it's on.
This is what I've been thinking…maybe BB finally realizes that the SB winning formula is a stout defense and a great game managing offense that isn't required to put up 30+ points to win. They can now focus their draft on areas other than the defensive backfield.

Forget Lafell and Britt. Those guys are junk. The 2nd year guys and Edelman are fine. With Amendola watching from the sideline in sweats of course. Gronk will be back and everything will be fine.
I love the story that goes with Amendola always being hurt, yet he and your prototypical health specimen in Edelman has has played 16 games in a season in as many seasons in the NFL as Amendola has. For what its worth that is the same as Harvin too. All have played 16 games once in their 5 year careers.

I want to :wall: everytime people act like Amendola is any more of an injury risk than Edelman. How quickly people forget Edelman has always sucked or been hurt until Amendola went down and he caught 100 balls at a position that will get those catches regardless if the person is blind. Amendola played through a groin injury instead of letting it heal/repaired and he still gets ripped. Another thing fans say that makes me want to :wall: .

Oh, and LeFell ain't any good, don't kid yourselves. Amendola got more catches than him on limited time with an injury. Dude is not a playmaker or exceptional in talent in any way. Wasted move as Dobson can give u the same thing.

I think they signed LaFell in case Dobson is slow to recover from his surgery, I'm not sure how anyone can fault them for going after depth the way last year turned out at the position.

Britt is in town today, signing him to an incentive based contract would be great.

Outside of looking for a TE & LB, I would think they are going to be loading up on DL and OL in the draft.

I think they signed LaFell in case Dobson is slow to recover from his surgery, I'm not sure how anyone can fault them for going after depth the way last year turned out at the position.

Britt is in town today, signing him to an incentive based contract would be great.

Outside of looking for a TE & LB, I would think they are going to be loading up on DL and OL in the draft.
Agree on LaFell, but Britt is another story. Injuries and baggage, nothankyou.

You can sign Britt to a contract where it doesn't hurt you if you need to cut him because he is pulling crap. The guy has talent and has been stuck on a crappy team, being in the right environment might turn things around and is a low risk, high reward move .

You can sign Britt to a contract where it doesn't hurt you if you need to cut him because he is pulling crap. The guy has talent and has been stuck on a crappy team, being in the right environment might turn things around and is a low risk, high reward move .
Exactly. The knees worry me, his attitude doesn't. When is the last time someone with a bad attitude and creating problems was around for long in NE?

The Pats WR situation is very interesting...there are a ton of moving parts...right now Edelman is your best and only reliable wide-out but he only has one healthy season under his belt...Amendola under-performed last year...how much was injury-related is up for debate and you have to be fearful of further injuries as history shows he has a tough time staying on the field...this is a huge year for him if he wants to remain a Patriot...right now you can be optimistic about the second year WRs but you can't go into the year trusting them...Dobson looks like he could be a good one but he has a very scary foot-thing going on...Boyce is still an unknown...Thompkins was a nice find for an UDFA but he seemed to regress as the season went on and it seems like he juggles almost all of his catches...I like adding WRs like LaFell and possibly Britt to the mix...there are no guarantees with these guys but it gives the Pats more options and pushes all the young kids (and Amendola) to raise their game...in a best-case scenario I would like to see them add one more quality veteran, hope Amendola can look like he did in last year's opener than let the youngsters and guys like LaFell fight it out for the remaining slots...

The Pats WR situation is very interesting...there are a ton of moving parts...right now Edelman is your best and only reliable wide-out but he only has one healthy season under his belt...Amendola under-performed last year...how much was injury-related is up for debate and you have to be fearful of further injuries as history shows he has a tough time staying on the field...this is a huge year for him if he wants to remain a Patriot...right now you can be optimistic about the second year WRs but you can't go into the year trusting them...Dobson looks like he could be a good one but he has a very scary foot-thing going on...Boyce is still an unknown...Thompkins was a nice find for an UDFA but he seemed to regress as the season went on and it seems like he juggles almost all of his catches...I like adding WRs like LaFell and possibly Britt to the mix...there are no guarantees with these guys but it gives the Pats more options and pushes all the young kids (and Amendola) to raise their game...in a best-case scenario I would like to see them add one more quality veteran, hope Amendola can look like he did in last year's opener than let the youngsters and guys like LaFell fight it out for the remaining slots...
You must be missing the part where Edelman is not any more reliable than Amendola and how much of it was injury related with Amendola? For someone claiming to be a Patriots fans if you watched any of the games you could clearly see his routes were not as good as he is used to because of the groin. Edelman is the best WR yet he has 76 fewer catches than Amendola and played 10 more games over five years. Edelman and LaFell is a complete waste of money given the depth at WR in the draft.

Best receiver and playmaker on the team is Vereen, but thats another thread.

Edelman knows the Pats system and because of that better than the rookie WR they would get in the second round for the next couple if years.

Edelman knows the Pats system and because of that better than the rookie WR they would get in the second round for the next couple if years.
Could have drafted Cooks or Beckham at the end of the first, now if they do it they would not be able to roster all their WRs and waste a quality pick on a position with too many players.

Edelman

Amendola

LaFell

Dobson

Boyce

Thompkins

Harrison

Teams normally keep 5 or 6 right? I am hoping they trade Amendola to Carolina, San Diego, Kansas City or Tampa Bay then draft a big outside playmaking WR like Benjamin in the 2nd or 3rd.

whats the latest on Gronk's rehab? Will he be ready to start the year?
looks pretty good in this recent snip. season's still 6 months out.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24481519/video-rob-gronkowskis-rehab-appears-to-be-coming-along-well
Looks pretty good walking in a hallway from waste up as anyone I have ever seen. Is that a gangsta limp or an injury limp?
you know how we do

You must be missing the part where Edelman is not any more reliable than Amendola and how much of it was injury related with Amendola? For someone claiming to be a Patriots fans if you watched any of the games you could clearly see his routes were not as good as he is used to because of the groin. Edelman is the best WR yet he has 76 fewer catches than Amendola and played 10 more games over five years. Edelman and LaFell is a complete waste of money given the depth at WR in the draft.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the part where I stated this about Edelman ("but he only has one healthy season under his belt") and this about Amendola ("hope Amendola can look like he did in last year's opener") covers that...also, after watching what Brady had to go thru breaking-in three rookie WRs last year it would seem like a dicey strategy to duplicate when he has a window that is closing...

So NE faithful, what is the WR hierarchy going to look like this year? Seems very clouded right now.

if they amputated Gronk's leg you would be correct.

BRIAN: Brothers! Brothers! We should be struggling together!

FRANCIS: We are! Ohh.

BRIAN: We mustn't fight each other! Surely we should be united against the common enemy!

EVERYONE: The Judean People's Front?!

BRIAN: No, no! The Romans!

Random thoughts:

Edelman and Amendola are both inj prone and that is why we need both

Doubt NE could get much for Amendola and it appears much more likely than not he will be here again this year and I am fine with that

How can you not like the Edleman and Lafell signings? My guess is neither got huge guaranteed money

Lafell insurance for Dobson inj? That seems like a logical assumption

Lafell = Donald Jones? Not saying I am convinced of it, but I have to admit the thought is in the back of my mind

Yes the draft is loaded with WRs and I would love, love to see Brandin Cooks in a Pats uniform, but we added 3 rookie wrs last year and with the recent FA signings it seems

unlikely we will take a wr early in the draft. Again, I am fine with that, there are plenty of other more pressing needs

If we get Gronk back playing effectively by the 2nd half of the year, I for one will be thrilled. I don't think he is ever going to be the same, but even if he is close he can still be an effective player

Am I the only one who thinks we need a big time Center?

I love the story that goes with Amendola always being hurt, yet he and your prototypical health specimen in Edelman has has played 16 games in a season in as many seasons in the NFL as Amendola has. For what its worth that is the same as Harvin too. All have played 16 games once in their 5 year careers.

I want to :wall: everytime people act like Amendola is any more of an injury risk than Edelman. How quickly people forget Edelman has always sucked or been hurt until Amendola went down and he caught 100 balls at a position that will get those catches regardless if the person is blind. Amendola played through a groin injury instead of letting it heal/repaired and he still gets ripped. Another thing fans say that makes me want to :wall: .

Oh, and LeFell ain't any good, don't kid yourselves. Amendola got more catches than him on limited time with an injury. Dude is not a playmaker or exceptional in talent in any way. Wasted move as Dobson can give u the same thing.
don't even think you're up to the level of TROLL. Why don't you watch what you're typing a little better- makes you look like you're just a troll wannabe and/or don't even know what you're seeing or if you've actually watched a Patriots game at all. Edelman has been dynamic with the ball in his hands, since day 1. They resigned him because he's an excellent player, a top punt returner as well. Have you ever seen him in open space? It doesn't sound like it. He's pretty good, actually very good.

You defend Amendola and then suggest he be cut a few posts later? lol go away

don't even think you're up to the level of TROLL. Why don't you watch what you're typing a little better- makes you look like you're just a troll wannabe and/or don't even know what you're seeing or if you've actually watched a Patriots game at all. Edelman has been dynamic with the ball in his hands, since day 1. They resigned him because he's an excellent player, a top punt returner as well. Have you ever seen him in open space? It doesn't sound like it. He's pretty good, actually very good.

You defend Amendola and then suggest he be cut a few posts later? lol go away
Troll? Obviously I'm trolling providing facts and others info. I made my case for Amendola, I am a fan. He is the best WR you have on your team and the guy some of you Patriot fans claim loyalty to in Edelman, was the guy you didn't think could hack it a year ago. Now the roles are switched in who is disliked.

Edelman has 76 fewer catches then Amendola coming off 105 catch season in ten more games played over 5 years, so I see the dynamic you are talking about.

I said I hope they trade Amendola, doesn't mean I think he is any less talented or is not the best WR on the team. Angry Patriot is an understatement for your handle to say the least, don't get so upset with football discussion.

Like I said anytime someone like you are anyone wants to say Edelman is the better WR than Amendola, it makes me want to do this :wall: . Goes to prove that some fans are what have you done for me lately fans.

Users who are viewing this thread