What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (2 Viewers)

Not a Seahawks fan, but love seeing Lynch continually shoving it in the face of the media and NFL by not cooperating (or at the very minimum required). Even better when his teammates say he is a great "locker room guy" and good friend and teammate. This schtick is pure gold from Lynch.
If he were really a man of principle he wouldn't show up at all. Guess that costs too much.

Not a Seahawks fan, but love seeing Lynch continually shoving it in the face of the media and NFL by not cooperating (or at the very miminum required). Even better when his teammates say he is a great "locker room guy" and good friend and teammate. This schtick is pure gold from Lynch.
It's pretty hilarious. But on the other hand, the media is the conduit between the fans and the game. If every other player in the league did the same thing fans would be apoplectic. No postgame quotes, no accountability or explanations of actions on the field, no call-ins to radio shows, etc.

I tend to agree with Sherman's take- if the league wants him to be accountable to the media and by extension the public, the Commissioner's office should do the same.

If the reporters know he's going to act like this, then why bother and get mad when he does it?

Its kinda like that friend you have that you know whenever you invite him to do something, he's always got an excuse. Eventually, you just stop inviting them places.

That's what the media should just do with Lynch. Just ignore him.
Positively. Lynch is being a baby about it but they allow it to happen. He wants to be left alone? Fine. Pretend he doesn't exist.
Why do you think the media benefits him? He can get to the fans over twitter. #### the media. He doesn't need those ###holes at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a Seahawks fan, but love seeing Lynch continually shoving it in the face of the media and NFL by not cooperating (or at the very miminum required). Even better when his teammates say he is a great "locker room guy" and good friend and teammate. This schtick is pure gold from Lynch.
It's pretty hilarious. But on the other hand, the media is the conduit between the fans and the game. If every other player in the league did the same thing fans would be apoplectic. No postgame quotes, no accountability or explanations of actions on the field, no call-ins to radio shows, etc.

I tend to agree with Sherman's take- if the league wants him to be accountable to the media and by extension the public, the Commissioner's office should do the same.
I don't think you'd ever see players not talk. There's too many guys around the league that love the attention they get.

I have no problem with what Lynch does. I just think it's dumb for the media to always ##### about it. You know he isn't going to give you anything to write about, so just ignore him. They win by not wasting their time on him and he wins by not wasting his time pretending to care.

If the reporters know he's going to act like this, then why bother and get mad when he does it?

Its kinda like that friend you have that you know whenever you invite him to do something, he's always got an excuse. Eventually, you just stop inviting them places.

Positively. Lynch is being a baby about it but they allow it to happen. He wants to be left alone? Fine. Pretend he doesn't exist.
Why do you think the media benefits him? He can get to the fans over twitter. #### the media. He doesn't need those ###holes at all.
Those ###holes are the only reason this ###hole has a job. No media, no coverage; no coverage, no paycheck. Since Lynch's only other noteworthy skills are in the crotch-grabbing, hit and run, and DUI sectors of the economy, he ought to damn glad people still want to see him in the media.

Those ###holes are the only reason this ###hole has a job. No media, no coverage; no coverage, no paycheck. Since Lynch's only other noteworthy skills are in the crotch-grabbing, hit and run, and DUI sectors of the economy, he ought to damn glad people still want to see him in the media.
I forgot that's why Lynch has a job. It's because of the Rick Reilly column.

For those of you who are going with the "it's his job schtick". What do you think generates more buzz for the NFL, Lynch doing this or Lynch answering a bunch of stupid questions from Tara Lapinski or the guy walking around wearing a barrel and a GoPro camera.

For those of you who are going with the "it's his job schtick". What do you think generates more buzz for the NFL, Lynch doing this or Lynch answering a bunch of stupid questions from Tara Lapinski or the guy walking around wearing a barrel and a GoPro camera.
Because those are the only two people asking questions. And I assure you, the NFL is not pleased with this "buzz"...

I don't understand this statement, but I do know it's the one the media wants you to believe.

I think this is just a little more of my age showing, but I don't need my team to be accessible, quotable, or really anything outside of the game for me to enjoy watching the Seahawks play. I'm not saying my way of being entertained is the only way, but this just doesn't hit my demographic at all...not for actors, musicians, or anyone who I don't have direct interaction with.

Having said all of that, it seems to me a better way to connect is directly, like through twitter. The media just wants a job and couldn't care less about the player or the fan.

Because those are the only two people asking questions. And I assure you, the NFL is not pleased with this "buzz"...
He could have Walter Cronkite and Edward Murrow asking questions and it would end up lame. The whole week is about generating buzz, that what this is doing. Don't see any threads about Danny Amendola saying that he's just happy to be part of the game and he's going to take it one snap at a time.

The guy doesn't like doing it, there are 20 other attention whores on every team who want it.

I would think they will address this in the next deal with the NFL.

I don't understand this statement, but I do know it's the one the media wants you to believe.

I think this is just a little more of my age showing, but I don't need my team to be accessible, quotable, or really anything outside of the game for me to enjoy watching the Seahawks play. I'm not saying my way of being entertained is the only way, but this just doesn't hit my demographic at all...not for actors, musicians, or anyone who I don't have direct interaction with.

Having said all of that, it seems to me a better way to connect is directly, like through twitter. The media just wants a job and couldn't care less about the player or the fan.
Unless you're going to all 16 games + the playoff games in person, guess who enables you to watch the Seahawks play?

Unless you're going to all 16 games + the playoff games in person, guess who enables you to watch the Seahawks play?
Advertisers?

Advertisers?
No. Unless they're broadcasting the game directly ... in which case they're also part of the media!

And in any event, I don't believe anyone who says that all they need to do to enjoy the game is sit down for the opening kickoff, watch the game (ignoring any content that's not actual live footage), and be done with it as soon as the final whistle blows, never watching or reading anything else about the game. Reading and watching media coverage of the team- the locker room celebration, the profiles of the players, the analysis (including replay), the on-field interviews, the columns profiling the players and the team, the coverage of fellow fans and their reactions to the team ... it's a huge part of the experience Take away the media and it's just 106 idiots running around giving each other brain damage.

Advertisers?
No. Unless they're broadcasting the game directly ... in which case they're also part of the media!

And in any event, I don't believe anyone who says that all they need to do to enjoy the game is sit down for the opening kickoff, watch the game (ignoring any content that's not actual live footage), and be done with it as soon as the final whistle blows, never watching or reading anything else about the game. Reading and watching media coverage of the team- the locker room celebration, the profiles of the players, the analysis (including replay), the on-field interviews, the columns profiling the players and the team, the coverage of fellow fans and their reactions to the team ... it's a huge part of the experience Take away the media and it's just 106 idiots running around giving each other brain damage.
Yes. Brings so much more to the game to get a guy in a towel after the game telling me that he left it all on the field.

Guess what a lot of these guys don't have #### all to say.

Only one of these dumb ### interviews that I can even remember in the past 10 years was Lynch and Deion last year. That may even go for regular season.

Only one that I can even think of that comes close right now is drunk Joe Namath on the sidelines.

Advertisers?

Yes. Brings so much more to the game to get a guy in a towel after the game telling me that he left it all on the field.

Guess what a lot of these guys don't have #### all to say.
Right, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

That's just a small part of what the media does to enhance the experience of sports fans. It's moronic to say otherwise. And this is coming from someone who has no problem with what Lynch has done this week.

Let me put it this way- think of your favorite teams. Imagine the local and national media completely ignored them, other than to transmit the footage of the action. No more highlights on the local news, no more Sportscenter, no more RSN pregame and postgame, no more columns in the paper, no beat writers, in fact no sports section at all. Do you think you'd miss it? I know I sure would. Five years from now, what do you think the ratings and ticket sales would look like? If you think they'd be remotely close to their current levels you're out of your mind.

And that's without even getting into the fact that the broadcasts of the games themselves are also obviously a form of media.

The media is egging this on by continuing to approach this thug and ask him questions. And make no mistake...Marshawn Lynch is a great NFL RB but a classic thug punk.

Ignore him and he will just go about being the ### clown he is. But why subject us the fans to his childish unprofessional behavior? We don't need to hear him speak. He has nothing to add.

The media should let it go. Just leave the guy alone. He is a lousy interview! And a punk to boot. But man can he pound the rock!

Advertisers?

Yes. Brings so much more to the game to get a guy in a towel after the game telling me that he left it all on the field.Guess what a lot of these guys don't have #### all to say.
Right, that's exactly what I said.

That's just a small part of what the media does to enhance the experience of sports fans. It's moronic to say otherwise. And this is coming from someone who has no problem with what Lynch has done this week.

Let me put it this way- think of your favorite teams. Imagine the local and national media completely ignored them. No more highlights, no more Sportscenter, no more columns in the paper, no beat writers, no sports section at all. Do you think you'd miss it? I know I sure would. Five years from now, what do you think the ratings and ticket sales would look like? If you think they'd be remotely close to their current levels you're out of your mind.

And that's without even getting into the fact that the broadcasts of the games themselves are also obviously a form of media.
There are plenty of players dying to tell us all about themselves.

Why has the thread title not been changed yet? Marshawn Lynch shows up at camp " I am only here so I won't get fined!!!"

Advertisers?

You missed the point, but that is ok. It is all an attempt to sell the brand, and you are getting caught up in a branding issue, do you not realize that? The sense of moral outrage over this stuff is hilarious.

I couldn't care less what Marshawn Lynch thinks of a reporter's question. Do I enjoy getting to see a side of the players that I wouldn't normally see? Yeah, of course, I am football fan. Do I think anybody benefits from forcing players to answer asinine questions? Nope.

Advertisers?

You missed the point, but that is ok. It is all an attempt to sell the brand, and you are getting caught up in a branding issue, do you not realize that? The sense of moral outrage over this stuff is hilarious.

I couldn't care less what Marshawn Lynch thinks of a reporter's question. Do I enjoy getting to see a side of the players that I wouldn't normally see? Yeah, of course, I am football fan. Do I think anybody benefits from forcing players to answer asinine questions? Nope.
I have no moral outrage, I think the league should give Lynch and others a pass if they want it and the media is going way overboard with the whining. I think we're mostly in agreement here. I was speaking to the argument others seemed to me making that the media wasn't a key part of the sports fan experience. I totally disagree with that.

Yup. Which is why I don't have a problem with Lynch in particular, and I love Sherman calling out the hypocrisy of the league front office which seems to think it has zero accountability to the media and by extension the fans.

Yup. Which is why I don't have a problem with Lynch in particular, and I love Sherman calling out the hypocrisy of the league front office which seems to think it has zero accountability to the media and by extension the fans.
Agreed. Said it before but as soon as the NFL gets a chance they'll address this policy somehow. There's no way that this is the way it needs to work.Most players are not like Lynch and would love the attention. The league isn't going to come crashing down because Pete Prisco's feelings get hurt because Lynch doesn't want to sit with him talk to his dumb ###.

I would think a great article from one of these hacks would be to try and figure out why Lynch got so bitter. Instead they write stuff like "can't wait for his 5 minutes of fame to be up, in 5 years he'll by dying for my attention".

Some of these sports writers over inflated egos make the athletes look modest.

Advertisers?

I have no moral outrage, I think the league should give Lynch and others a pass if they want it and the media is going way overboard with the whining. I think we're mostly in agreement here. I was speaking to the argument others seemed to me making that the media wasn't a key part of the sports fan experience. I totally disagree with that.
I think you are lumping all media interactions together, and it is a straw man argument. No one is saying that there should be NO access.

Wait, what?

I find this all a little odd. He sat for an E:60 piece about around last year or so, didn't he?

What changed since then?

I thought his act yesterday was childish and boorish, and I'm a pretty big fan of Lynch, even with all his problems. He's been like this all year, for sure, but I'm not really sure that the ™BeastMode stuff and all that wasn't some weird marketing thing, which Kam Chancellor tacitly addressed in his interview by insisting over and over that Lynch wasn't marketing and that he was the real deal. I thought Kam protested too much about something he wasn't asked.

Like most here, I felt no outrage, but Lynch seemed contrived and petulant.

I find this all a little odd. He sat for an E:60 piece about around last year or so, didn't he?

What changed since then?

I thought his act yesterday was childish and boorish, and I'm a pretty big fan of Lynch, even with all his problems. He's been like this all year, for sure, but I'm not really sure that the ™BeastMode stuff and all that wasn't some weird marketing thing, which Kam Chancellor tacitly addressed in his interview by insisting over and over that Lynch wasn't marketing and that he was the real deal. I thought Kam protested too much about something he wasn't asked.

Funny, he explained exactly what it was on that show. The media has not earned Marshawn's trust and the relationship is a two way street. Just because you're some hack journalist doesn't give you free access and that trust must be earned. It's why he trusts Michael Robinson to do interviews, and Deion Sanders for that matter.

I actually love it. Screw the Media, they try to twist stuff all the time and create stories bigger than what they should be. Deflate gate, ad nauseum....

And Marshawn knows it-you think he has forgotten all the stuff written about him for his past transgressions?

Gun charge-Thug

Ran over a woman in his car on a rainy night at 330am(you don't think she was drunk walking in front of the car on the corner?)

I don't trust the media at all, and I think Lynch is getting the last laugh.

:lmao:

Advertisers?

What changed since then?

Funny, he explained exactly what it was on that show. The media has not earned Marshawn's trust and the relationship is a two way street. Just because you're some hack journalist doesn't give you free access and that trust must be earned. It's why he trusts Michael Robinson to do interviews, and Deion Sanders for that matter.
I remember that, and coming away with that impression, but doesn't that seem odd to you? I distinctly thought it was kind of a paradox at the time. To complain about trust and the media while doing a long-form TV interview? I mean, I can see it, but...

I don't want to get too hung up on it, I just thought he did himself poorly yesterday.

eta* BTW, watched that interview twice. I really am kind of a huge appreciator of what he does on the field. He's unreal.

What changed since then?

I remember that, and coming away with that impression, but doesn't that seem odd to you? I distinctly thought it was kind of a paradox at the time. To complain about trust and the media while doing a long-form TV interview? I mean, I can see it, but...

I don't want to get too hung up on it, I just thought he did himself poorly yesterday.

eta* BTW, watched that interview twice. I really am kind of a huge appreciator of what he does on the field. He's unreal.
To me, I get it. If you were to talk to the media about one of your deep, dark secrets would you expect them to cover it honestly or to develop a headline to sensationalize it to generate the most revenue? I know what the shareholders want, and it's usually what they get.

What changed since then?

Michael Silver too.

Deadspin posted an article related to media outlets getting frustrated with Marshawn's antics. Deadspin Article :lmao:

No wonder he doesn't talk to these hacks. They are making him look like the bad guy for simply not wanting to take a serious interview with a bunch of snakes in the grass.

If he came across as intelligent it would be better, but he sounds ignorant.

Agreed. I love his antics. He's the opposite of Chad Johnson, and I find it much more amusing.

Because the media is largely filled with entitled douchebags?
Man, you seem to be angry at everyone all the time. Who hurt you?

People like Skip Bayless and this dooshbag calling for the skittles boycott make up a teeny tiny percentage of sports media. The vast majority of them are decent people working an exhausting job for middle class paychecks because they love sports. Why do they make you so mad?

People like Skip Bayless and this dooshbag calling for the skittles boycott make up a teeny tiny percentage of sports media. The vast majority of them are decent people working an exhausting job for middle class paychecks because they love sports. Why do they make you so mad?
Mad? :lmao:

Guilty by association.

And while you may very well be right that the majority are decent people, they sure do collectively ask a rather large number of stupid questions, write a rather large number of stupid agenda driven articles, and must just be flat out annoying to have to deal with on a regular basis for the players.

Mad? :lmao:
Yeah, that's generally what's going on when someone lashes out at a bunch of people for no apparent reason. That or insecurity, I guess. Whatever floats your boat :shrug:

:shrug: doesn't seem difficult to change the rules, require the teams to put X number of players available for interviews and not make people who don't want to talk to the media do so. Although the Patriots would find a way to circumvent the rule.

:shrug: doesn't seem difficult to change the rules, require the teams to put X number of players available for interviews and not make people who don't want to talk to the media do so. Although the Patriots would find a way to circumvent the rule.
Agree. The front office is the problem here. That and the impotence of the player's union.

Users who are viewing this thread