What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ways to improve the US by becoming more like the rest of the world (1 Viewer)

I'm a pretty big fan of the Ciesta in the afternoon.. I could definitely get down with a nap between 1-2 PM every day.

There's a lot of crap things about Euro countries though.. i've never been to a euro country i'd want to move to.

But there are a lot of islands I've been to where I'd like to move that admittedly do have euro influences.

Legalize and tax prostitution
Nobody?

Something that is already rampant and dangerous... Legalizing it, providing a safe environment, and taxing it... Besides the experience being better, it'll generate endless amounts of income.
I'd just further this to most drugs as well.
Drugs are mind altering, and while I wouldn't be against marijuana being legalized, I think the benefits of legalizing prostitution outweigh any argument against.

Nobody?

Something that is already rampant and dangerous... Legalizing it, providing a safe environment, and taxing it... Besides the experience being better, it'll generate endless amounts of income.
While we are at it. legalize pot in all 50 states along with sports betting as well. :thumbup:
No reason sports betting shouldn't be legal everywhere.
Can't risk it, people don't want the Gay Mafia forcing Tom Brady to be gay.

Nobody?

I'd just further this to most drugs as well.
Drugs are mind altering, and while I wouldn't be against marijuana being legalized, I think the benefits of legalizing prostitution outweigh any argument against.
The war on drugs has been a complete failure and contributes to much of the problems on our border. Not to mention prison numbers. Legalizing prostitution might have less arguments against but also carries fewer net benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
take pride in our own unique culture instead of denigrating it every chance we get.
Patriotism isn't thinking your country is the best. Patriotism is wanting your country to be the best.
Is it OK to think your country is the best but nowhere near perfect?
Whether we're the "best" or not is very debatable. But thinking we are leads to a lot of self-delusion. Much better to think that we're behind and need to work harder and smarter to catch up.

Can we compromise on the metric system? Celsius is crap for weather. If we can keep Fahrenheit for that, it's a go.

take pride in our own unique culture instead of denigrating it every chance we get.
Patriotism isn't thinking your country is the best. Patriotism is wanting your country to be the best.
Whether we're the "best" or not is very debatable. But thinking we are leads to a lot of self-delusion. Much better to think that we're behind and need to work harder and smarter to catch up.
It's "debatable" but anyone who thinks it, is "delusional?" Makes sense.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Ciesta in the afternoon.. I could definitely get down with a nap between 1-2 PM every day.

There's a lot of crap things about Euro countries though.. i've never been to a euro country i'd want to move to.

But there are a lot of islands I've been to where I'd like to move that admittedly do have euro influences.
Oh, man... ever been to Amsterdam?

Been to lots of Euro countries, including gay Paris.... Amsterdam is the balls. I would move there in a heartbeat. In fact, that's where I want to live when I retire.

1. Compulsory national service after high school
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

I'm all for $7 a gallon gasoline. And a 23% VAT.

Then we'll really start to look like Europe.
Man, when you are there you truly see the affects that has.

Viable public transportation (granted this is helped by the fact that most euro countries aren't as spread out as 'merica.

Almost all vehicles are 4-cylinder compact cars, many with manual transmission.. a lot more walking and biking.. and a lot more scooters/motorcycles... almost no pickups/SUV's

I'm all for $7 a gallon gasoline. And a 23% VAT.

Then we'll really start to look like Europe.
This has nothing to do with me wanting to get a beer and a burger in a park or town square. We aren't trying to be just like other countries, just pick out some areas to improve on.

1. Compulsory national service after high school
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
Eh. Call it what you want. Encourage it. Incentivize it. And so on. I believe people that give of themselves to the country better appreciate where they live. It doesnt have to be military service. Volunteer at hospitals. Public Works.

It's "debatable" but anyone who thinks it, is "delusional?" Makes sense.
We might be the best. But if you've already decided that you know that we are "for sure," then you're delusional. We're very good at self-delusion and equally poor at introspection. One of the ways that manifests itself is when people are angered by close looks into our darker corners.

Users who are viewing this thread