Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Physics and astronomy thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Juno mission is extended for another 3 years.  More splendid photos!!  The shot here is from only 9600 miles above the "surface"

Am I the only one who gets way too excited when this thread gets bumped? I love hearing about new discoveries in astronomy specifically and science in general. 

Yes, they showed the picture.   link

11 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Whomp.  

10 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

er. nevermind.

Did it blowed up?

21 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Are all systems nominal on Percy?

So far so good.

Should be getting ready to start moving soon..I think they were taking a couple weeks to get everything checked out. Iirc, the drone was going to be going up as one the first experiemnets.

37 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

5 minutes to attempted launch 

SpaceX Feed: https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1367250900041953280

Edited by Sinn Fein

News conference tomorrow to update status of Percy.

Sounds like they've been running checks of all systems,...just flexed the robot arm. Should be interesting.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, El Floppo said:

News conference tomorrow to update status of Percy.

Sounds like they've been running checks of all systems,...just flexed the robot arm. Should be interesting.

It was to relay all systems go and that they had taken their first test drive. JPL article here...some nice pics.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:10 PM, El Floppo said:

Artemis 1 is supposed to head to the moon to orbit and set up the planned 2024 manned trip back to the moon. All of conditional at this point on budget vis a vis the pandemic and new administration.

Biden team has approved the program continuing, thankfully. Will set a more realistic timeline than the overly aggressive/optimistic 2024 for boots on the moon.

Still looking to send the unmanned orion space craft around the moon and back, with several payloads of instruments in place for future manned trips. Might happen this year.

My son just signed up for AP Physics next year, I think I'm looking forward to it more than he is.  🤓

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Lehigh98 said:

My son just signed up for AP Physics next year, I think I'm looking forward to it more than he is.  🤓

My oldest had that his senior year and absolutely loved it. 

• Like 1

You think about how far stars are apart in general.

The chances of two stars colliding seems statistically small. The chances of two black holes colliding has to be nearly impossible, doesn't it? Unless a pair of binary stars went black hole simultaneously? And then what are the chances of THAT?

On 3/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, El Floppo said:
On 1/27/2021 at 1:10 PM, El Floppo said:

Artemis 1 is supposed to head to the moon to orbit and set up the planned 2024 manned trip back to the moon. All of conditional at this point on budget vis a vis the pandemic and new administration.

Biden team has approved the program continuing, thankfully. Will set a more realistic timeline than the overly aggressive/optimistic 2024 for boots on the moon.

Still looking to send the unmanned orion space craft around the moon and back, with several payloads of instruments in place for future manned trips. Might happen this year.

Artemis SLS rocket booster had a successful test burn today.

6 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Sounds like we might be getting helicopter/drone footage tomorrow afternoon?

Loves that undercarriage pic of the drone..

• Like 1

Images of the magnetic fields around a black hole and a jet from a star.  

Those are two of the most mind blowing images I've ever seen from a telescope.  Utterly in awe of these.

Edited by Sand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ingenuity is fully unfolded under Percy and getting ready to drop roughly 5" to the ground and power up it's solar panels. Flight might be within the next week or two if all goes right (needs to drop and not fall over).

This is a proof of concept experiment...so it will just be hovering about 10' up for 30 or so seconds. I think it has a camera, but not sure they have other plans.

Went on a UFO binge the last two night. 

Have any of you watched “Unacknowledged” (2017) or the more recent Close contact of the 5th kind?

Pretty compelling stuff. I’d be interested in hearing others opinions. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

Looks like new seasons of How the Universe Works and Space's Deepest Secrets have started. Sometimes they repackage episodes to make them look new but these seem to be new ones.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Went on a UFO binge the last two night. 

Have any of you watched “Unacknowledged” (2017) or the more recent Close contact of the 5th kind?

Pretty compelling stuff. I’d be interested in hearing others opinions. 

I watched Unacknowledged, thought it was okay.  I have a hard time with these conspiracy theory UFO docs. You'd think if there were this many sightings we'd have at least one really good quality video, as Elon Musk pointed out so well on Twitter recently. I'll buy into the possibility of anything, but a lot of the "evidence" they provide is tenuous at best. Still, an interesting watch.

Though I will say one of my friends once met a retired Navy commander who swore up and down he'd watched a UFO emerege from the ocean in front of their ship (said witnessed by dozens of crew members, all of whom were told to keep their mouths shut.)  Who knows with these things. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, foxco said:

I watched Unacknowledged, thought it was okay.  I have a hard time with these conspiracy theory UFO docs. You'd think if there were this many sightings we'd have at least one really good quality video, as Elon Musk pointed out so well on Twitter recently. I'll buy into the possibility of anything, but a lot of the "evidence" they provide is tenuous at best. Still, an interesting watch.

Though I will say one of my friends once met a retired Navy commander who swore up and down he'd watched a UFO emerege from the ocean in front of their ship (said witnessed by dozens of crew members, all of whom were told to keep their mouths shut.)  Who knows with these things. 

Yeah. They started to lose me when they got all conspiracy theory against the 1%ers. It was pretty objective until then. 

Im mean the government has already come out and said this stuff is not from this earth so I don’t think UFOs are a conspiracy anymore. 

As far as video, I don’t know about your phone, but mine SUCKS at taking video of things far away. 

The doc also had plenty of good (but not spectacular) video. 

A HS friend (not close) is a UFO-ologist. Has made a bunch of films that are more on the doc/evidence side than conspiracies. Out of the Blue and recently The Phenomenon are worth watching if that's your thing. He travels all over talking to people who have had first hand accounts...mostly aircraft pilots- commercial and military.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, dkp993 said:

Putting aside the OP’s post about the dude from Israel’s claim...  it’s pretty nuts to consider we might be living in the time that the evidence for Alien life might be too overwhelming to overlook.  The first COVID bill, and the “pork” added to it of the requirement for the Government to release its UFO info is producing some very interesting stuff.  The first 2 links revolve around the Tick Tac UFO Navy videos.  These have been out for a bit (2yrs-ish) but it’s fascinating stuff. The third link is about what’s soon to be released, that one might be what breaks the dam.......

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/tic-tac-ufo-video-q-and-a-with-navy-pilot-chad-underwood.html

https://www.history.com/videos/uss-nimitz-tic-tac-ufo-declassified-video

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/03/23/ufo-report-covid-bill/

@STEADYMOBBIN 22  I Posted the above in the UFO thread and it went largely ignored but crazy times where living in imo. 

1 hour ago, foxco said:

Edited by dkp993
22 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Im mean the government has already come out and said this stuff is not from this earth so I don’t think UFOs are a conspiracy anymore. 

Is this true? I haven't seen any official recognition of UFOs as alien crafts from our government, only that some of them are truly of unknown origin, which is a huge difference. 

• Like 1