What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (1 Viewer)

Went on a UFO binge the last two night. 

Have any of you watched “Unacknowledged” (2017) or the more recent Close contact of the 5th kind?

Pretty compelling stuff. I’d be interested in hearing others opinions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like new seasons of How the Universe Works and Space's Deepest Secrets have started. Sometimes they repackage episodes to make them look new but these seem to be new ones.

Went on a UFO binge the last two night. 

Have any of you watched “Unacknowledged” (2017) or the more recent Close contact of the 5th kind?

Pretty compelling stuff. I’d be interested in hearing others opinions. 
I watched Unacknowledged, thought it was okay.  I have a hard time with these conspiracy theory UFO docs. You'd think if there were this many sightings we'd have at least one really good quality video, as Elon Musk pointed out so well on Twitter recently. I'll buy into the possibility of anything, but a lot of the "evidence" they provide is tenuous at best. Still, an interesting watch.

Though I will say one of my friends once met a retired Navy commander who swore up and down he'd watched a UFO emerege from the ocean in front of their ship (said witnessed by dozens of crew members, all of whom were told to keep their mouths shut.)  Who knows with these things. 

I watched Unacknowledged, thought it was okay.  I have a hard time with these conspiracy theory UFO docs. You'd think if there were this many sightings we'd have at least one really good quality video, as Elon Musk pointed out so well on Twitter recently. I'll buy into the possibility of anything, but a lot of the "evidence" they provide is tenuous at best. Still, an interesting watch.

Though I will say one of my friends once met a retired Navy commander who swore up and down he'd watched a UFO emerege from the ocean in front of their ship (said witnessed by dozens of crew members, all of whom were told to keep their mouths shut.)  Who knows with these things. 
Yeah. They started to lose me when they got all conspiracy theory against the 1%ers. It was pretty objective until then. 

Im mean the government has already come out and said this stuff is not from this earth so I don’t think UFOs are a conspiracy anymore. 

As far as video, I don’t know about your phone, but mine SUCKS at taking video of things far away. 

The doc also had plenty of good (but not spectacular) video. 

A HS friend (not close) is a UFO-ologist. Has made a bunch of films that are more on the doc/evidence side than conspiracies. Out of the Blue and recently The Phenomenon are worth watching if that's your thing. He travels all over talking to people who have had first hand accounts...mostly aircraft pilots- commercial and military.

Putting aside the OP’s post about the dude from Israel’s claim...  it’s pretty nuts to consider we might be living in the time that the evidence for Alien life might be too overwhelming to overlook.  The first COVID bill, and the “pork” added to it of the requirement for the Government to release its UFO info is producing some very interesting stuff.  The first 2 links revolve around the Tick Tac UFO Navy videos.  These have been out for a bit (2yrs-ish) but it’s fascinating stuff. The third link is about what’s soon to be released, that one might be what breaks the dam.......

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/tic-tac-ufo-video-q-and-a-with-navy-pilot-chad-underwood.html

https://www.history.com/videos/uss-nimitz-tic-tac-ufo-declassified-video

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/03/23/ufo-report-covid-bill/
@STEADYMOBBIN 22  I Posted the above in the UFO thread and it went largely ignored but crazy times where living in imo. 

Im mean the government has already come out and said this stuff is not from this earth so I don’t think UFOs are a conspiracy anymore. 
Is this true? I haven't seen any official recognition of UFOs as alien crafts from our government, only that some of them are truly of unknown origin, which is a huge difference. 

Is this true? I haven't seen any official recognition of UFOs as alien crafts from our government, only that some of them are truly of unknown origin, which is a huge difference. 
The official government term is "unidentified aerial phenomena" 

My take on aliens:  Its approaching 100% that intelligent life exists outside of Earth.  Its approaching 0% that we ever come into contact with said intelligent life.

The vastness of both time and space make it extremely unlikely that we would stumble across intelligent life, and vice versa.

Ingenuity is fully unfolded under Percy and getting ready to drop roughly 5" to the ground and power up it's solar panels. Flight might be within the next week or two if all goes right (needs to drop and not fall over).

This is a proof of concept experiment...so it will just be hovering about 10' up for 30 or so seconds. I think it has a camera, but not sure they have other plans.
Ingenuity has landed safely! (Picture)

Now it has to survive a cold night and charge itself up. They're saying first flight will be next Sunday, April 11. If it goes well, it will take increasingly longer- up to a few hundred feet- flights over the next month. Has 2 cameras on board, so should be some great pictures from those 

"Video" of the rotor blades spinning.

🍿 :popcorn:

Last I heard, they were saying the first flight might happen the 11th, which is this Sunday!
I saw the still pictures the other day and I got all scurred cause there seems to be a lot of debris on the solar panels. Hope it has little to no impact. 

I saw the still pictures the other day and I got all scurred cause there seems to be a lot of debris on the solar panels. Hope it has little to no impact. 
I saw that too.  Dust is a real MFer on Mars.  Not enough atmospheric pressure to really lift debris in most cases, so where it settles, it tends to stick.

I saw that too.  Dust is a real MFer on Mars.  Not enough atmospheric pressure to really lift debris in most cases, so where it settles, it tends to stick.
I read that's part of the reason they went with radioactive battery for the rover, vs solar for the previous one that died after the huge dust storm covered up it's panels.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:48 PM, El Floppo said:
"Video" of the rotor blades spinning.

🍿 :popcorn:

Last I heard, they were saying the first flight might happen the 11th, which is this Sunday!
Expand  
Slight glitch with one of the tests, first flight delayed to the 14th at the earliest.
Passed a test on Friday (getting the wings spinning at flight speed- 2400rpm). They're doing more diagnostics about next step with the flight happening as early as tomorrow, monday but hopeful for within the week.

The failed test had to do with Ginny switching to flight mode prematurely, so it shut dow- I assume automatically since data transmission wouldn't allow real time interaction.

Sounds like they have a second Ginny on earth (like the movie Contact) to run tests on for just this kind of thing.

Passed a test on Friday (getting the wings spinning at flight speed- 2400rpm). They're doing more diagnostics about next step with the flight happening as early as tomorrow, monday but hopeful for within the week.

The failed test had to do with Ginny switching to flight mode prematurely, so it shut dow- I assume automatically since data transmission wouldn't allow real time interaction.

Sounds like they have a second Ginny on earth (like the movie Contact) to run tests on for just this kind of thing.
"NASA’s Ingenuity helicopter is slated to attempt the first-ever powered flight on another world at 3:30AM ET on Monday. The twin-blade rotorcraft will try to ascend 10 feet above ground and hover in place for 30 seconds while cameras on NASA’s Perseverance rover record the historic attempt from a distance."

We should get the data/photo/vids later on Monday, maybe Tuesday. I think they start with stills and stills comped into vids as low res immediate grabs. But there are some hi res cameras going on Percy and Ginny- we should get those later.

Watching live JPL right now...

SUCCESS!

They just showed (live, whole they received it to huge cheers in the control room) an image from Ginny looking down at her own  shadow on the ground below, and a few still combined to make video from Percy showing Ginny on the ground and then lifting up, hovering (with small dust cloud flying around below) and landing again.

I'm sure those will become public shortly...I'll link if so.

Wow...they snuck this one in without any warning. Not as exciting as Ginny, but I was looking forward to it.

MOXIE (another trial science experiment) successfully converted oxygen- about 5g...enough for 10 mins breathable for one astronaut- from Mars' CO2 rich atmosphere. This is the first time that's been done.

MOXIE is toaster sized and will do this up to 9 more times to test varying conditions. The goal is get a big version up there some day- to produce breathable air, but also to produce oxygen for rocket fuel so they don't have to lug it there for the trip back.

Article

This didn't get the reaction/discussion it deserved... The Muon potentially changing how we understand the established laws of physics? 
Not sure. Skeptics say the results could be chalked up to experimental error, but others say the results brought the study of particle physics back from the dead.  Last I read that it will take a couple of years to verify the results. It "feels" true. Seems entirely plausible that there is a sea of undiscovered background particles that interact with others. My own testing took place in my 20's and involved ingesting a ton of psychedelics, so I believe there is something unknown going on that influences reality....or it was just the acid.

Holy crap...fast and furious up there.

Ginny successfully flew again this morning. Higher, longer and with some lateral movement.

Still from Percy

Still looking down (you can see Ginny's legs in the corners)
I wonder how they are going to do the autonomous navigation thing with Ginny.  Must be nerve wracking to send the command to fly to spot X, then wait and see if she gets there.  And all it takes is one bad landing on a rock due to a gust of wind and she'll topple over and never right herself.

An amazing feat to fly a helicopter on another planet with an atmosphere as thin as on Mars.

I know they have to be super careful but it seems to me the longer that thing is just sitting there w/o moving the likely hood that something goes wrong. Get her up and flying around already! 

I'm half kidding. Pretty sure Nasa knows more than SteadyMobbin on teh interwebz. 

I wonder how they are going to do the autonomous navigation thing with Ginny.  Must be nerve wracking to send the command to fly to spot X, then wait and see if she gets there.  And all it takes is one bad landing on a rock due to a gust of wind and she'll topple over and never right herself.

An amazing feat to fly a helicopter on another planet with an atmosphere as thin as on Mars.
I wonder if Percy is capable of using it's robot arm to pick Ginny up. Not sure how long they plan on having the rover hang out with Ginny- might be for all of its tests and flights; pretty sure they use percy as a transmitter for Ginnys data.

The US space agency's Ingenuity Mars helicopter has now made its third successful flight on the Red Planet.

On Sunday, the little chopper rose to a height of 5m before speeding off laterally for 50m - half the length of a football field. 

Ingenuity then came back to its take-off spot, for a total flight time of 80 seconds.

Sunday's sortie was the most ambitious yet, but engineers say they plan to push the technology harder still.

They want to find the chopper's limits, even if that means crashing it in the process.

Ingenuity then came back to its take-off spot, for a total flight time of 80 seconds.
Very cool, but why not get Ginny to land someplace else? Didn't want to risk it? Also I wonder what the on board? flight time is with the batteries onboard? Don't want to drain too much cuz of the stupid dust storms that can block out the sun necessary for solar recharging.

Users who are viewing this thread