What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL 3 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

sniffer (or anyone else) what are your thoughts on oliver?

saw you grabbed terrance west on the biggest disaster team in the league over him which was a strong sign you dont like his situation I suppose

Last edited by a moderator:

saw you grabbed terrance west on the biggest disaster team in the league over him which was a strong sign you dont like his situation I suppose
I thinks its highly unlikely that he is the starting RB for SD, he was ok for a couple of weeks, then hit a wall.

hes a backup

While Clevelans is a disaster, I think they remain a run strong team, crowell is a knucklehead and West provided decent value where I took him.

I was hoping to come back with Chris Ivory in round11 but there was a mini-run of RBs and I missed him by a couple of picks

Not BSS obviously, but I took West over Oliver in WSL1, and didn't have to think for five seconds about it ...

1. If Mathews isn't back (and FWIW I don't expect him to be) I'd put the likelihood at 90% the Chargers bring in one or more other options at RB, either via FA or the draft. If the Browns make any moves in their backfield at all it'll be, maybe, bringing in an H-Back or FB.
  2. CLE were 6th in the league in rush attempts, and that was with Hoyer playing half of a decent season under center. I fully expect them to run it 500+ times next year. Chargers were 23rd in rushes and have so many weapons in the pass game that they'd be silly to start playing ground-n-pound.
  3. West is a solid guy, capable 3-down back, and the guy nominally ahead of him on the depth chart is a knucklehead. He's one Crowell suspension or DGAF moment away from being their workhorse RB.
Between the two West is the better play and it's not all that close IMO. I can think of 4-5 other guys I'd take after West and before Oliver TBH.

1.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Dez Bryant, WR2 DAL

2.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Jeremy Hill, RB10 CIN

3.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Martellus Bennett, TE5 CHI

4.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Andre Ellington, RB19 ARI

5.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Ben Roethlisberger, QB9 PIT

6.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Colin Kaepernick, QB19, SF

Took the approach of getting a stud WR, 2 strong Top 20 RBs and a Top 5 TE.

Added 2 QBs at a position where things get sketchy after 22-25 guys go off the board.

Chosen shortfall (as you must choose one in 16-team leagues) is WR. I think WR is very deep and that I can recover from it. Time (and the next several rounds) will tell.
7.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Steve Smith, WR44, BAL

8.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Charles Johnson, WR51, MIN

9.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Legarrette Blount, RB35 NEP

10.08 Jeff Pasquino -- James Jones, WR59, OAK

Loaded up on WR depth, as you might expect after taking just Dez in first 6 rounds. Gives me 4 reasonable options that can all find the end zone and are the most consistent targets on their respective teams (as of December).

Was slightly sniped on Vereen vs. Blount (Vereen better in PPR as we saw Sunday) but Blount is the TD guy, so he's still worth a RB3 pick.

Definitely sniped on J. Blackmon - nice pick - and if it wasn't for being in WSL3 (trailing the other drafts) he might have lasted. Oh well, I still don't know if Goodell will reinstate him after a Mary Jane arrest last July (he has to be clean for a year, according to the reinstatement policy). We'll see, but I think he will be in Stage 3 and not back until around October. He's a WR1 when active though, so worth a gamble. If he gets reinstated for Week 1, he will be a Top 40 pick for sure, so worth a pick this late.

My team is OK - not loving the WRs, but still the goal is not to win every week, just not be last.

11.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Mohamed Sanu, WR63, CIN

12.08 Jeff Pasquino -- New England Patriots DST5

Added first defense and a WR5.

Wanted depth at WR, and grabbed the last WR that had at least 5 TDs last season, which is a big factor for me. I think Sanu had more targets than Green.

I took a hard look at West before taking Sproles for the points I know I probably get each week wih PPR. But West was right on my keyboard also. I went wih a little safer play but not nearly the upside IMO unless McCoy goes down.

I own OLiver in my dynasty and feel whatever I might get would be all bonus. And my RB's suck for a 16 team league overall. Forte. Knile Davis(really high on him but again need injury to charles and than I think he is top 5), Bernard Pierce and OLiver. Luckily only start 1 and I got Forte.

Matt Forte

Jeremy Maclin

DeAndre Hopkins

Martavis Bryant

Roddy White

This draft is setting up as a WR minimalist.
QB: Nick Foles, Alex Smith

RB: Matt Forte, Ryan Matthews, Reggie Bush, Ahmad Bradshaw

WR: Jeremy Maclin, DeAndre Hopkins, Martavis Bryant, Roddy White

TE: Charles Clay

DST: Lions, Chiefs

PK: Connor Barth

Through Round 14

Not sure at this point. I think Foles was great value at QB21 - I think he starts for the Eagles and they score a lot of points. Alex Smith is a starter and WR production can only go up. Between Matthews, Reggie, and Bradshaw, there should be a RB2BC in their somewhere - too much talent to leave of the field.

WRs are meh - considering they were picks 2-5 I should like them better. Need another 1-2 to account for theiir high variance. TE I am behind the 8 ball - hopefully I can find a sleeper and get some points.

OK guys. I'm going to state this both here and in the other WSL3 thread.

We have 5 rounds left, and we have 3 1/2 days left in the week.

I can tell that interest is waning here, and with some holidays impending (V-Day, President's Day), we should really shoot to wrap this up before the weekend.

To do that, we'll need to do about 20 picks a day, which is attainable - but only if people take the effort.

With 5 rounds left, PM lists should work well, especially if people can receive a list at the other end of the draft when we are at the opposite end.

So let's step it up and close this out by Friday - please.

Thanks

3.10 Peyton Manning QB(5) DEN

11.10 Ryan Mallett QB(29)

1.10 DeMarco Murray RB(6)

2.07 Adrian Peterson RB(9)

9.10 Frank Gore RB(36)

4.07 Julian Edelman WR(25) NE

5.10 Vincent Jackson WR(33) TB

7.10 Eric Decker WR(45) NYJ

10.07 Justin Blackmon WR(58) JAC

12.07 Justin Hunter WR(68) TEN

13.10 Kenny Britt WR(73)

6.07 Jason Witten TE(8) DAL

8.07 Jordan Reed TE(15) WAS

14.07 Chandler Catanzaro PK(10) ARZ

15.10 Caleb Sturgis PK(21) MIA

(11) Mallett: I think I #### the bed here and rushed this pick. Was targeting Mettenberg after continually passing on QB and when he went I think I pushed the panic button way too early. Not that I don't like Mallett and I don't think he will start, I just have a feeling I could have gotten him much later (as indicated by other drafts, he may not even get drafted). I think he resigns with HOU and is pulling the trigger. I debated between Mallett and Latimer here and should have gone the other way. Pretty big hiccup here.

(12) Hunter: I know everybody likes their teams as they draft, but I really liked what I had done up until the Mallett pick. Think I recovered here in the next two rounds and took a little heat off passing on Latimer by adding Hunter and Britt. I'm not ready to turn the page on Hunter, while he disappointed many last year I think the talent is there and can be used next year with Mettenberg's big arm and Hunter being given a chance to make more plays downfield. I'm still a believer, maybe way off base, but I could see him outperforming this draft slot (WR68).

(13) Britt: Seems to have figured things out and he will play somewhere probably back in saint lewey. Hunter/Britt remind me of each other. I think my last 3 WR's (Blackmon, Hunter, Britt) ooze big week top shelf WR talent and scream best ball value after round 10. Think I have a good best ball mix at WR right now. Might add a steady eddie later.

(14) (15) Catanzaro/Sturgis: After suffering through a couple survivors last year trying to find a PK at the end of the draft I decided I didn't want to do that dance anymore. Felt like I had a pretty solid core allowing me to go ahead and dedicate back to back picks here at PK. Both these guys finished in top 11 of FG's made and in top 20 overall.

Overall: Recent news said Manning is coming back. I think Mallett will start somewhere, heard that HOU would like him to come back but he may have to compete, which is ok, I think he comes out on top. None of my RB's have homes, but talent is there and will play somewhere. Could be the best 1-2 punch in this league when smoke clears. I'd roll into most leagues right now with my WR core, I have some stability mixed in with some high risk pop. I realize I'm rolling the dice with guys like Blackmon and Britt, but I'm not playing for second place. Love my TE combo in a year where there are 2 top guys and then anybody's guess after that. Not sure I'd rather have any other combo that doesn't include Gronk or Graham. Only regret overall is the Mallett pick and not adding something else there, hell even a DST would have been better value at this point.

:banned:

I know everybody likes their teams as they draft
:no: I hate this team.

Cam Newton

Jameis Winston

Mark Ingram

Todd Gurley

Charles Sims

Odell Beckham

TY Hilton

John Brown

Stedman Bailey

Marvin Jones

(Josh Gordon)

Dwayne Allen

Eric Ebron

San Fran D/ST

Cairo Santos

:X

QB Joe Flacco. Eli Manning

I am good with this duo. Not what I hoped for but the 5th round run screwed up all my plans. Rivers, Stafford, Big Ben to pair with Flacco would have been better

RB: Marshawn Lynch, Melvin Gordon.Darrin Sproles, TJ Yelden

I think Lynch is back and Gordon will have the biggest impact as rookie with the hands. Sproles will give me pts each week with his PPR. Yelden hopefully gets some carries and TD's. I dont mind the rookie thing here

WR: Jordy Nelson, Torrey Smith, Michael Crabtree, Marcus Wheaton, Jaelen Strong

Really like my 1-2-3 especially Crabtree where I got him. Wheaton is a good young WR but will he do more with Bryant also coming on. STrong is the type of WR that could come in and play like a Jarvis Landry a year ago

TE: Kyle Rudolph, Austin Sefrani-Jenkins

2 young talented but injured guys. This could help or kill me. I guess wait and see but the talent is there to help

D: Green Bay

I was hoping for SL to drop to me but will suffice with GB for now. My plan was to go D/PK with last 2 picks but tons of D still out there and none stuck out so grabbed Strong

PK: Tucker, Succop

I was disappointed again here with the run coming earlier than I thought where I was going to try to start it. But got left behind. Zeurlein was the guy I was hoping to get but at least I know Succop will have a job and at a certain point, this does not happen at the PK position. A few guys drafted ahead would be in that category and I will go safe over the team. Tucker is always a stud.

Stinkin Ref said:

9.10 Frank Gore RB(36)

13.10 Kenny Britt WR(73)

(11) Mallett: I think I #### the bed here and rushed this pick. Was targeting Mettenberg after continually passing on QB and when he went I think I pushed the panic button way too early. Not that I don't like Mallett and I don't think he will start, I just have a feeling I could have gotten him much later (as indicated by other drafts, he may not even get drafted). I think he resigns with HOU and is pulling the trigger. I debated between Mallett and Latimer here and should have gone the other way. Pretty big hiccup here.

(12) Hunter: I know everybody likes their teams as they draft, but I really liked what I had done up until the Mallett pick. Think I recovered here in the next two rounds and took a little heat off passing on Latimer by adding Hunter and Britt. I'm not ready to turn the page on Hunter, while he disappointed many last year I think the talent is there and can be used next year with Mettenberg's big arm and Hunter being given a chance to make more plays downfield. I'm still a believer, maybe way off base, but I could see him outperforming this draft slot (WR68).

(13) Britt: Seems to have figured things out and he will play somewhere probably back in saint lewey. Hunter/Britt remind me of each other. I think my last 3 WR's (Blackmon, Hunter, Britt) ooze big week top shelf WR talent and scream best ball value after round 10. Think I have a good best ball mix at WR right now. Might add a steady eddie later.

(14) (15) Catanzaro/Sturgis: After suffering through a couple survivors last year trying to find a PK at the end of the draft I decided I didn't want to do that dance anymore. Felt like I had a pretty solid core allowing me to go ahead and dedicate back to back picks here at PK. Both these guys finished in top 11 of FG's made and in top 20 overall.

Overall: Recent news said Manning is coming back. I think Mallett will start somewhere, heard that HOU would like him to come back but he may have to compete, which is ok, I think he comes out on top. None of my RB's have homes, but talent is there and will play somewhere. Could be the best 1-2 punch in this league when smoke clears. I'd roll into most leagues right now with my WR core, I have some stability mixed in with some high risk pop. I realize I'm rolling the dice with guys like Blackmon and Britt, but I'm not playing for second place. Love my TE combo in a year where there are 2 top guys and then anybody's guess after that. Not sure I'd rather have any other combo that doesn't include Gronk or Graham. Only regret overall is the Mallett pick and not adding something else there, hell even a DST would have been better value at this point.

I really like your team ref.

Matthew Stafford

Teddy Bridgewater

CJ Anderson

Branden Oliver

Dan Herron

Jerrick McKinnon

Roy Helu

Desean Jackson

Mike Evans

Anquan Boldin

Robert Woods

Cole Beasley

Antonio Gates

Owen Daniels

Hauschka

Suisham

Philly
Pretty solid just about everywhere other than RB2

Any thoughts on Dennis Pitta?

Would he have lasted another round, or no?

I think not with Rodgers going.
I kept looking at Pitta but I don't think I would have taken him. I might not have taken a TE at all but when you grabbed him, I felt the 3 other teams would fill their TE2 slot before it got back to me so I grabbed mine, in Rodgers.

Besides... 30yo TE coming off 2 hip locations doesn't seem to be the ideal candidate for an NFL player any longer. I was more upset at Fiddles taking Daniels. Planned on him being my third TE.

R Wilson

G Smith

J Stewart

F Jackson

K Robinson

D Robinson

D Woodhead

B Marshall

G Tate

A Johnson

K Wright

H Douglas

Philly Brown

D Inman

R Gronkowski

S Gostkowski

M Crosby

Texans

Dolphins

Just trying to keep track of what I need to add in the last few rounds now.

I kept looking at Pitta but I don't think I would have taken him. I might not have taken a TE at all but when you grabbed him, I felt the 3 other teams would fill their TE2 slot before it got back to me so I grabbed mine, in Rodgers.

Besides... 30yo TE coming off 2 hip locations doesn't seem to be the ideal candidate for an NFL player any longer. I was more upset at Fiddles taking Daniels. Planned on him being my third TE.
Well, I saw a few teams still needed a 2nd TE, and he had gone in this range in the other 2 drafts, so I thought that now was the time. My only risk was a big run on PK and not getting any that have a sure job - which I survived with getting Forbath in WASH, who is actually pretty decent.

For me, TE30/Rd15 for Pitta is good risk/reward. If and when he plays, he's a certain TE1.

As for OD, he's not even signed for Baltimore again so it's not certain they even bring him back.

Just a few flyers left

QB - Andrew Luck, Sam Bradford

RB - Eddie Lacy, Bishop Sankey, Terrence West

WR - Sammy Watkins, Larry Fitzgerald, Jarvis landry, Kenny Stills, Marqis Lee

TE - Travis Kelce, Vernon Davis

K - Nick Novak, Seabass Janikowski

D - Baltimore, Minnesota

The writer in me wonders if it is "flyers" or "fliers"....

Rounds 19 and 20 used to be some of the more entertaining ones in these drafts. Now it feels like it is "just get the damn thing over" anymore....

1.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Dez Bryant, WR2 DAL

2.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Jeremy Hill, RB10 CIN

3.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Martellus Bennett, TE5 CHI

4.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Andre Ellington, RB19 ARI

5.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Ben Roethlisberger, QB9 PIT

6.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Colin Kaepernick, QB19, SF

Took the approach of getting a stud WR, 2 strong Top 20 RBs and a Top 5 TE.

Added 2 QBs at a position where things get sketchy after 22-25 guys go off the board.

Chosen shortfall (as you must choose one in 16-team leagues) is WR. I think WR is very deep and that I can recover from it. Time (and the next several rounds) will tell.
7.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Steve Smith, WR44, BAL

8.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Charles Johnson, WR51, MIN

9.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Legarrette Blount, RB35 NEP

10.08 Jeff Pasquino -- James Jones, WR59, OAK

Loaded up on WR depth, as you might expect after taking just Dez in first 6 rounds. Gives me 4 reasonable options that can all find the end zone and are the most consistent targets on their respective teams (as of December).

Was slightly sniped on Vereen vs. Blount (Vereen better in PPR as we saw Sunday) but Blount is the TD guy, so he's still worth a RB3 pick.

Definitely sniped on J. Blackmon - nice pick - and if it wasn't for being in WSL3 (trailing the other drafts) he might have lasted. Oh well, I still don't know if Goodell will reinstate him after a Mary Jane arrest last July (he has to be clean for a year, according to the reinstatement policy). We'll see, but I think he will be in Stage 3 and not back until around October. He's a WR1 when active though, so worth a gamble. If he gets reinstated for Week 1, he will be a Top 40 pick for sure, so worth a pick this late.

My team is OK - not loving the WRs, but still the goal is not to win every week, just not be last.
11.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Mohamed Sanu, WR63, CIN

12.08 Jeff Pasquino -- New England Patriots DST5

Added first defense and a WR5.

Wanted depth at WR, and grabbed the last WR that had at least 5 TDs last season, which is a big factor for me. I think Sanu had more targets than Green.

13.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Cody Parkey, PK3 PHI

14.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Theo Riddick, RB57 DET

15.09 Jeff Pasquino -- Dennis Pitta, TE28, BAL

16.08 Jeff Pasquino -- Kai Forbath, PK26 WAS

Last 4 picks - 2 kickers, including a Top 5, and both have a solid job. Gotta like that.

I think both Theo Riddick and Dennis Pitta were solid values, but Pitta's very health dependent of course.

Very surprised to see Riddick still there in Round 14 - and more importantly, at RB57. Are there really 56 RBs with more upside than Riddick?

4 Picks to go.

Well, I saw a few teams still needed a 2nd TE, and he had gone in this range in the other 2 drafts, so I thought that now was the time. My only risk was a big run on PK and not getting any that have a sure job - which I survived with getting Forbath in WASH, who is actually pretty decent.

For me, TE30/Rd15 for Pitta is good risk/reward. If and when he plays, he's a certain TE1.

As for OD, he's not even signed for Baltimore again so it's not certain they even bring him back.
I wasn't going to touch him. Think hes done.

I wouldn't touch Pitta in WSL's.....good chance, not just a chance, but a good chance, he may not even play....he may retire.....his injury (x2) ain't no joke....I'd revisit come MBSL's but still probably wouldn't even sniff him as a TE2/3....roster spots are pretty valuable in these.....I get the whole risk/reward thing.....but I check that at the door a little when it comes to injuries/situations like this in a draft and done format....it's one thing in leagues that allow you to take a risk and then make a move later if it doesn't pan out....here not so much.....

and to say he is "a certain TE1" when he comes back seems way over the top.....you have no idea if he will still be able to perform at a fantasy TE1 level when he returns (which may not even happen).....IMO that is being wayyyy too optimistic and sounds like someone grasping for straws to justify the pick.....this early in the year in a draft and done format I completely disagree that "TE30/Rd15 for Pitta is good risk/reward".....there are no wasted spots in these leagues....I laugh every time I see someone type "well it was an _____ round pick, so if he doesn't play, it didn't cost me too much"....

I wouldn't touch Pitta in WSL's.....good chance, not just a chance, but a good chance, he may not even play....he may retire.....his injury (x2) ain't no joke....I'd revisit come MBSL's but still probably wouldn't even sniff him as a TE2/3....roster spots are pretty valuable in these.....I get the whole risk/reward thing.....but I check that at the door a little when it comes to injuries/situations like this in a draft and done format....it's one thing in leagues that allow you to take a risk and then make a move later if it doesn't pan out....here not so much.....

and to say he is "a certain TE1" when he comes back seems way over the top.....you have no idea if he will still be able to perform at a fantasy TE1 level when he returns (which may not even happen).....IMO that is being wayyyy too optimistic and sounds like someone grasping for straws to justify the pick.....this early in the year in a draft and done format I completely disagree that "TE30/Rd15 for Pitta is good risk/reward".....there are no wasted spots in these leagues....I laugh every time I see someone type "well it was an _____ round pick, so if he doesn't play, it didn't cost me too much"....
Good debate (which is really the point of these drafts, IMHO).

Pitta was a TE1 in 2012 (TE8 in PPR), and he's a favorite target of Joe Flacco.

Pitta was supposed to be a TE1 entering both 2013 and 2014, and offers TE1 upside - when healthy and in that 2012 form. Can he re-attain it? That's the big question. If he does, this is a great pick. If he doesn't, that's a waste. Big ceiling and floor here.

Jeff Pasquino said:

Pitta was supposed to be a TE1 entering both 2013 and 2014, and offers TE1 upside - when healthy and in that 2012 form. Can he re-attain it? That's the big question. If he does, this is a great pick. If he doesn't, that's a waste. Big ceiling and floor here.
yeah...I just feel that these situations are a little different than say other risk/reward picks, like suspension guys....not sure all risk/reward picks can be dumped in the same risk/reward barrel...and for me it's more of a format (draft and done and weekly elimination) factor that comes in from a strategy perspective.....

this ain't Gronk.....is TE8 upside in the 15th worth the risk and something that will help you win......I guess maybe, but I think his ceiling is not as high and difference making as his floor could be low.....I don't know....to each his own.....but I do know the downside of a donut

Funny, despite the timeouts (and accompanying arguments), we're ahead of WSL1's pace and on the same pace as WSL2. Indeed, we may finish earlier than WSL1 despite starting two days later.

Wasn't planning on a 5th RB with Bell, Spiller, Ball, and Davis already on the roster, but Pierre Thomas seemed like too much of a bargain to pass in a ppr league.

I drank the Duron Carter koolaid. Normally wouldn't do it but too much Luck production not to take a shot.

I appreciate those of you trying to move this along. Shouldn't be too hard to provide a list for the last few picks.

Speaking of which - I am out tonight, so if someone wants to take a list, I can provide one.

Wasn't planning on a 5th RB with Bell, Spiller, Ball, and Davis already on the roster, but Pierre Thomas seemed like too much of a bargain to pass in a ppr league.
Good pick. Had I realized he was still on the board, I would have taken him in the 15th.

Aaron Rodgers (2.04)

Tre Mason (4.04)

Stevan Ridley (9.13)

Tevin Coleman (11.13)

Jay Ajayi (12.04)

Julio Jones (1.13)

Keenan Allen (3.13)

Brandon LaFell (5.13)

Percy Harvin (6.04)

Rueben Randle (10.04)

Brian Quick (13.13)

Coby Fleener (7.13)

Tyler Eifert (8.04)

Adam Vinatieri (14.04)

Nick Folk (15.13)

Giants DST (16.04)

Rookie RBs weren't the bargain they were last year. I planned to load up on 3-4 of them, but that was not a viable plan.

Can i get a breakdown of my first draft.

qb brees bortles

rb charles crowell vereen ivory

wr benjamin wallace cooper greenbeckham austin

te miller donnell

k prater nugent

d carolina

Can i get a breakdown of my first draft.

qb brees bortles

rb charles crowell vereen ivory

wr benjamin wallace cooper greenbeckham austin

te miller donnell

k prater nugent

d carolina
First off, welcome aboard and I hope you're enjoying the WSL drafts.

QB - Looks good, got 2 starters with a stud. Bortles should be OK as a QB2 to back up Brees on his one bye week, which should be all you need from him.

RB - Stud RB1, RB2BC. Looks OK to me, but not a ton of upside at RB2 - but that's ok in a 16 team survivor usually

WR - 2 mercurial WRs, 2 rookies and a flier in Austin. This looks like the weakness of your team. Rookies really need to deliver for you.

TE - Solid veteran options.

2K, 1D. So far, so good.

Jeff Pasquino said:

yeah...I just feel that these situations are a little different than say other risk/reward picks, like suspension guys....not sure all risk/reward picks can be dumped in the same risk/reward barrel...and for me it's more of a format (draft and done and weekly elimination) factor that comes in from a strategy perspective.....

this ain't Gronk.....is TE8 upside in the 15th worth the risk and something that will help you win......I guess maybe, but I think his ceiling is not as high and difference making as his floor could be low.....I don't know....to each his own.....but I do know the downside of a donut
I'm with you on the value of a roster spot, but at the same time this isn't Anarchy where (I'm guessing) a late-round donut could completely hose you, and with 20 rounds here you can afford a flier, maybe two ... in fact in order to win one of these I feel like you really have to take a couple of low-percentage shots and hope one or two of them hit ... whether that's a guy like Pitta coming back and rounding somewhat into form or a Duron Carter type nosing his way onto a roster and having a December breakout. At least Pitta has shown he can play with the big boys in the past.

[soapbox]

This is why IMO 20 rounds is sooo much better than 18 for these survivors ... in the latter you're kind of locked into a 2/4/6/2/2/2 structure and as a result can't afford to take too many chances, while with 20 you can throw a little extra something at the wall at one or two positions to see what sticks. Just two additional picks, but a whole lot more flexibility.

[/soapbox]

[soapbox]

This is why IMO 20 rounds is sooo much better than 18 for these survivors ... in the latter you're kind of locked into a 2/4/6/2/2/2 structure and as a result can't afford to take too many chances, while with 20 you can throw a little extra something at the wall at one or two positions to see what sticks. Just two additional picks, but a whole lot more flexibility.

[/soapbox]
I agree 100% with this....I would love to see 20 as the standard.....with really the point of these (besides winning) being to generate discussion/see values of players/gain insight from differnt angles on guys we are not sure about/etc.....adding 2 more rounds and an additional 32 position players to the mix seems like a no brainer and a great way to go.....cause it would basically be 32 "position" players (mostly RB/WR/TE) because all of the 32 DST and PK and QB's are going to get drafted for the most part no matter what the roster size........it's pretty easy for us to crank out the guys at the top.....it's the later round guys where it gets a little interesting to see who likes who and why, so we can maybe take that kind of info back to our home leagues when we draft etc.....

[soapbox]

[/soapbox]
I agree 100% with this....I would love to see 20 as the standard.....with really the point of these (besides winning) being to generate discussion/see values of players/gain insight from differnt angles on guys we are not sure about/etc.....adding 2 more rounds and an additional 32 position players to the mix seems like a no brainer and a great way to go.....cause it would basically be 32 "position" players (mostly RB/WR/TE) because all of the 32 DST and PK and QB's are going to get drafted for the most part no matter what the roster size........it's pretty easy for us to crank out the guys at the top.....it's the later round guys where it gets a little interesting to see who likes who and why, so we can maybe take that kind of info back to our home leagues when we draft etc.....
We already get plenty deep with 18 x 16 once the draft shakes out. We went 22 once and it really was pretty stupid. IMO make your play with picks 17/18 and show your acumen. Exhausting every rosterable player really isn't skill, it's just more of a chance that someone will luck out when ADP gets suspended. I also like to see the different strategies with 18 once FA and the draft are over. We also get a a lot less of the "runs" when people are unlikely to take 3 QB/Def/K. Anyone on the outside watching us rip off 14 kickers in a row in the 14th round would be laughing at us. Just watch the QBs fall in the SSL and MBSL relative to these drafts. I really like the drafts where it's more about making a good pick then trying to predict a run.

The other issue is that the SSLs only have a three week window between the draft and Memorial Day weekend. The MBSLs have the start of the season on the back end. I rather push the start of the draft back in the MBSL and get rid of some of the injury luck.

9.10 Frank Gore RB(36)

13.10 Kenny Britt WR(73)

18.07 Allen Hurns WR (88) JAC

16.07 IND DST

17.10 CHI DST

16/17: Added two defenses but not much to say.

18.07 Allen Hurns WR (88): This pick however felt like a little late round steal for Ref. For a few reasons. I don't get all hung up on last year's stats, etc. But Hurns finished as WR(49) last year which basically made him a "starter" in this 16 team start 3 WR (48) league. He outscored guys named Wayne, Fitzgerald, Terrance Williams, Wheaton, Britt, Holmes, Cooper, Harvin, Bowe, M. Bryant, Shorts, Douglas. Mostly because he remained healthy all year and other WR's in JAC didn't and Blackmon was out. His stat line of 51-677-6 was fairly productive and I think you could do worse in the 18th round. JAC was kind of a mess last year with Bortles in his first year. Hopefully that should improve. Robinson has a bad foot, Hurns should have the slot receiver role on lockdown no matter what at this point. The other reason this pick worked really well for team Ref is that it's almost a little bonus insurance in case Blackmon doesn't come back. I look at it this way. Shorts is a free agent, and if JAC learns they are getting Blackmon back, resigning Shorts may not be a priority. And if Blackmon comes back, he will demand coverage that may allow Bortles to exploit Hurns who has shown he can make plays. If Blackmon doesn't come back, well thats not too bad either, cause he wasn't there last year. I expect some competition at WR if the other guys come back healthy and Lee and Sanders are around, but think Hurns has carved out a spot in this lineup. Getting Hurns 40 slots after where he finished last year felt like some value and the arrow should be pointing up here.

QB - Palmer, RG3

Below average pair with big upside. Grade D-

RB - Bell, Spiller, Davis, Ball, P. Thomas

Got the consensus number one back. Should be able to cobble together a second score with the other four. Huge upside. Grade B+

WR - Sanders, Floyd, Adams, Williams, Amendola, Carter, Hill

7 guys with no consistency week to week. Feels like an average group although the performance will be up and down all year. Grade C

TE - Thomas, Cook

Grade C+ on name recognition. Could flame out big time

K - Bullock

Saw value elsewhere so I only took one. Grade F

D - Denver, Oakland, New Orleans

Should cover my K weakness. Grade A

Not one of my better efforts. I like most of the picks on their own, but it doesn't seem to come together as a team. An 80 pt effort early in the year will doom this team.

Cam Newton

Jameis Winston

- If Cam stays healthy, should be alright but who knows what Winston will do. Lots of risk here. C-

Thought about, and probably would have been better off had I gone with taking Derek Anderson in the 20th and not taking Winston. Risked the one week bye.

Mark Ingram

Todd Gurley

Charles Sims

Damien Williams

James White

- More risk here. If Gurley is healthy enough and Ingram either stays in NO or heads to a team that uses his skills, should be alright. Sims should be at least a decent receiving back, Williams and White are fliers. C

Odell Beckham

TY Hilton

John Brown

Stedman Bailey

Marvin Jones

Paul Richardson

(Josh Gordon)

- Timing couldn't have been worse with Gordon. Otherwise though, I actually like this group a lot. Aside from Brown and Bailey all of the guys I'm expecting to play this year have good QBs, Brown's isn't bad if healthy. (Jones' QB is average but at least he can get the ball to his receivers) B

Dwayne Allen

Eric Ebron

- Ebron could blow up or not. Allen is steady. B

San Fran D/ST

Titans D/ST

- Meh. C

Cairo Santos

Shayne Graham

- Assuming Graham returns, should be solid. B

Perhaps my worst effort in a WSL. But, a few breaks the right way and who knows? Would be a pretty good team in a dynasty startup.

Final Product

RB - Eddie Lacey, Bishop Sankey, Terrence West, Ronnie Hillman, Darren McFadden

WR - Sammy Watkins, Larry Fitzgerald, Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills, Marqis Lee, Sammie Coatees ®, Riley Cooper

D - Baltimore, Minnesota

I Like this squad a decent amount, could have issues at RB2, but everyone will .

Stinkin Ref:

Mannings' back and even with some decline he should still keep me in the mix week to week. Not sure what will happen with Mallett, but I think the talent is there and he is one of the best 32 QB's so hopefully he wins a job. Picked him way too early and that could come back to bite me. Heck he might not even start. Really wonder what I could have done different with that pick in the long run. Big speed bump for me on what I thought was going pretty good at the time. If he becomes a starter I really like the combo, if not, I need Peyton to carry me a little. I think I have some points elsewhere to help cover him when needed, and I think he can still have those monster weeks where he can carry this team.

9.10 Frank Gore RB(36)

19.10 Marcel Reece RB OAK

20.07 DeAnthony Thomas RB KC

Started the draft off with 2 RB's which is a little strange for me but doing so allowed me to pass on the position after that. Many teams will struggle to get RB2 points and/or two solid scores. I won't be immune but think I'll be ok. I anticipate both of my top two guys playing massive roles somewhere. Gore was a little insurance added in the 9th, he finished strong and is a really good all around football player who will find work. At the end of the draft I decided just to add some bodies here that might help out when needed. Reece is another solid all around football player, who will hopefully be used more by the new coaching staff. That was mostly a PPR pick and I am hoping he gets enough receptions to make it worth it. I watched Thomas a bunch last year and I think he is in line to see an increase in touches in Reid's offense. He is a playmaker and KC can use some of those. What's nice about Thomas is his role seems more like a WR than a RB in KC so the PPR thing will help here. I looked at the RB's left and felt he offered the most big play best ball value. With 2 studs at the top, the last two picks may have been a little overkill but hopefully allows me to gain a little advantage at RB2 should I ever need it.

13.10 Kenny Britt WR(73)

18.07 Allen Hurns WR (88) JAC

Liked snagging Hurns late to add to this group. Edelman should be solid again no matter what happens in NE. Jackson will still see targets even with Evans becoming the lead dawg. Decker should offer some week to week consistency. Blackmon is my swing pick, could really help or be a donut. I'm still buyin on Hunter while others are sellin. Britt may turn in to a steady professional after all. And Hurns was solid last year and will probably score for me more than some of the others. I'm a little concerned about the QB situations of these guys, but hoping talent overcomes any deficiency there. Had I not been able to add Hurns, I might have added an 8th WR here.

As a 1-2 punch I am pretty happy here. It feels a little like throwing darts after Gronk/Graham for some reason. Think I can ham an egg a decent score most weeks. Almost added a third here but felt really comfortable with these two so I didn't feel forced to cover them with a third body. Being pretty solid at QB/RB/TE through 8 rounds I think allowed me to gobble up some value elsewhere. I'll take the price on this combo in every one of these survivors and be happy.

Two young solid guys who should have jobs on lockdown. Play in decent weather.

16.07 IND DST

17.10 CHI DST

Who the heck knows.

Overall: I avoid rolling the dice on rookies in most survivors, especially WSL. I think I am pretty solid everywhere except maybe QB2, but that could change. Some risk reward at WR mixed in with some stability. Trio of Blackmon, Hunter, Britt could make or break this group. If those guys outplay their draft position as I expect them to, I could be a tough out. I kinda like how the puzzle came together here, which means I'm probably in line for an early exit. I apologize for the timeouts, usually not an issue for me, but the timing got me and it snow balled after that. I'll try not to let it happen again. Enjoyed it. Good luck. Have fun.

Final Product

RB - Eddie Lacey, Bishop Sankey, Terrence West, Ronnie Hillman, Darren McFadden

WR - Sammy Watkins, Larry Fitzgerald, Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills, Marqis Lee, Sammie Coatees ®, Riley Cooper

D - Baltimore, Minnesota

I Like this squad a decent amount, could have issues at RB2, but everyone will .
Interested to see what happens with Bradford, but you really won't need him. You could really struggle finding a RB2 score each week and if Lacy has a bad week, Luck better go off. I like Stills as a part of this group, no bona fide big pop #1 unless Watkins cranks it up, but some reception guys here which will always keep you in the hunt. Solid TE especially if Davis comes back strong. This team leaning heavily on Luck and Lacy. As a KC fan I hope Kelce is allowed to take over some games and if Reid cuts him lose he will will really help this team.

Cam Newton

Jameis Winston

Mark Ingram

Todd Gurley

Charles Sims

Damien Williams

James White

Odell Beckham

TY Hilton

John Brown

Stedman Bailey

Marvin Jones

Paul Richardson

(Josh Gordon)

Dwayne Allen

Eric Ebron

San Fran D/ST

Titans D/ST

Cairo Santos

Shayne Graham
Hard to comment here with so much invested in rookies and some unproven guys. Like two picks Beckham/HIlton, but hard to get inspired by much else. Jones coming off of foot injury and Richardson shredded a previously injured knee and may not play, meaning Bailey and Brown might really need to step it up for you. I'm not so sure Sanu concedes the WR2 role back to Jones as easliy as some may think, quite honestly I will be surprised if that happens. I will be looking to target Sanu in some drafts if that continues to be the vibe. Not a huge fan of what you did here, you may be doing the dance on the cut line most weeks.

QB - Palmer, RG3

Below average pair with big upside. Grade D-

RB - Bell, Spiller, Davis, Ball, P. Thomas

Got the consensus number one back. Should be able to cobble together a second score with the other four. Huge upside. Grade B+

WR - Sanders, Floyd, Adams, Williams, Amendola, Carter, Hill

7 guys with no consistency week to week. Feels like an average group although the performance will be up and down all year. Grade C

TE - Thomas, Cook

Grade C+ on name recognition. Could flame out big time

K - Bullock

Saw value elsewhere so I only took one. Grade F

D - Denver, Oakland, New Orleans

Should cover my K weakness. Grade A

Not one of my better efforts. I like most of the picks on their own, but it doesn't seem to come together as a team. An 80 pt effort early in the year will doom this team.
Let's see how Griffin responds, is he content with being just another guy or does he have the drive to be better. Healthy Palmer can put up points. Bell missing a couple games hurts, but no bye weeks piling on to that, so could be ok. I like the RB's. Decent group of WR's for what you spent, really liked the Williams pick. Thomas is going to make or break some teams this year. Like the 3 DST direction. How the QB's situation shakes out for you could be the difference in advancing/elimination each week because everywhere else you should post decent scores.

Users who are viewing this thread