What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (14 Viewers)

This will be ignored in these parts, but I agree with you 100%
Most people agree with this. Police are hardly looked at as villains in our society. My entire life we have had hundreds of movies and television shows, the vast majority devoted to the notion that police officers are the good guys. And a whole lot of them glamorize the idea of the cop who’s extra tough and has to bend or break the rules to fight crime. 

Well the bum that started all this was never held accountable by several levels of left wing bureaucracy.  
I can agree with all parts of this statement if you delete the "left-wing" insinuation of it. Police and police unions predominately vote Republican. The Minneapolis Police union appear to be predominantly more Right Wing than Left Wing. Police all over the country appear to be more Right Wing than Left Wing. The profession as a whole, along with leadership, along with its history, along with its traditions, would appear to be much more aligned to Right Wing polices than Left Wing policies. Yet, you can honestly conclude, that the problem with the last week has been Left Wing bureaucracy?

You don't have to reply. Think of the above as a more rhetorical type of question because I don't have the time nor inclination to debate the history of the police force on this board. Feel free to if you want but I'd rather you think of the above and if you can, truly, come away believing your original statement... we, as a country, have taken many steps backwards.

I think the % is a little on the high side.  The Police are a reflection of society.  If you estimate that 20% of the population is racist, then that would mean that 20% of the police force is racist.  
Agreed. Not to mention there’s been investigations done in the past showing that hundreds of cops belong to extremist Facebook groups. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/6/14/18679598/facebook-hate-groups-law-enforcement-police-officers-racism-islamaphobia

There were also countless of videos from the protests last night showing cops escalating situations and straight up abusing their power. This is more than just a few bad apples, there’s too many examples and it’s been happening too long for us to pretend otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
That also assumes a random distribution of people become police officers - I would posit that those that self-select into that group, tend to be a little more authoritarian, and that the % of authoritarians who are racist are higher than the general public. 
but you guys just keep assuming only racist cops use excessive force is where you're wrong. There are cops out there that will use excessive force whether you're white or black, but I agree racist cops that only use excessive force on minorities are absolutely disgusting.

Most people agree with this. Police are hardly looked at as villains in our society. My entire life we have had hundreds of movies and television shows, the vast majority devoted to the notion that police officers are the good guys. And a whole lot of them glamorize the idea of the cop who’s extra tough and has to bend or break the rules to fight crime. 
I agree. I don't know anyone that has ill will towards the police.

I do however know people that have ill will towards the system that breeds these types of crimes.  

but you guys just keep assuming only racist cops use excessive force is where you're wrong. There are cops out there that will use excessive force whether you're white or black, but I agree racist cops that only use excessive force on minorities are absolutely disgusting.
Yes this is the systemic part of the problem.  A lot of this behavior is taught and encouraged especially when you consider that the cops know they won’t have any repercussions.  

That also assumes a random distribution of people become police officers - I would posit that those that self-select into that group, tend to be a little more authoritarian, and that the % of authoritarians who are racist are higher than the general public. 
So are you saying that the percentage of our nations police force that is racist is higher than 20% ?

Exactly. People seem to think racism is the only problem with the police force which couldn’t be farther from the truth. The mentality cops have that it’s okay to escalate situations and treat people in an inhumane manner is the root cause of the problems we see today. This is why the training process and entire police force needs to be revamped.

I can agree with all parts of this statement if you delete the "left-wing" insinuation of it. Police and police unions predominately vote Republican. The Minneapolis Police union appear to be predominantly more Right Wing than Left Wing. Police all over the country appear to be more Right Wing than Left Wing. The profession as a whole, along with leadership, along with its history, along with its traditions, would appear to be much more aligned to Right Wing polices than Left Wing policies. Yet, you can honestly conclude, that the problem with the last week has been Left Wing bureaucracy?

You don't have to reply. Think of the above as a more rhetorical type of question because I don't have the time nor inclination to debate the history of the police force on this board. Feel free to if you want but I'd rather you think of the above and if you can, truly, come away believing your original statement... we, as a country, have taken many steps backwards.
Mayors and city councils get to choose police chief.  Those chiefs typically get to pick the top lieutenants. 

Not according to the last couple pages here. This thread has taken a dark turn down police hating Antifa road.

Plenty of bad cops, definitely higher than .1 percent lol. We need real change that weeds out the bad cops, and stops them from being hired in the first place. 

Although, definitely a tough job, and definitely a lot of good cops as well that deserve our respect.
This is one of the fundamental problems that is difficult to grasp:

The issue is not "bad cops", the issue is systemic racism that permeates the justice system, and allows for policies that end up disproportionally impacting black americans.

Take the death of Ahmad Arbery - it was tragic that the McMichaels killed him, but the real problem extended far beyond the McMichaels and Arbery - the judicial system initially decided the McMichaels did nothing wrong.  That is a systemic problem that is intertwined into the fabric of society, whether we acknowledge it or not.

Also, George Floyd - the killing of FLoyd was bad.  But what was/is worse is that the cops on the scene saw nothing wrong with Chauvin's actions.  The DA struggled to find something wrong with Chauvin's actions (and if you read the complaint, its not clear the DA really believes the Chauvin did anything wrong even today).  A society where those in power see nothing wrong with these actions is infinitely more troublesome than "bad cops"

And there are a lot of "good cops" who know this culture exists, and stand silently by - just like the cops who stood by while Chauvin killed Floyd (and who have not faced any charges of their own).  

Where am I assuming that only racist cops use excessive force?

For a job that’s difficult enough on a good day, I can’t imagine how much harder it’s become.  I know I couldn’t do it with the poise and restraint all most all are showing. 
Totally agree, not to mention terrible pay for what they do for their communities. 

The MPD Union president, Bob Kroll, received over 75% of the votes. He was a featured speaker at Trump's Minneapolis rally last fall.

Not according to the last couple pages here. This thread has taken a dark turn down police hating Antifa road.
Police are not heroes. They have a job they are getting paid for. If they can’t keep from abusing the populace, they should find a new job.

Police in this country have WAY too much power over citizens. Before cell phones, they had the power to take your life, lie about getting attacked, and there would be. NOTHING you could do about it because courts assume police won’t lie.

i don’t “hate” police. But I hate the amount of power over me police has. 

if 10 random Delta pilots nosedived into the Atlantic Ocean every year, we wouldn’t be like “oh, yeah, you know, there are a few bad apples in the delta ranks. But most are good people.”  No, we’d have a lockdown on Delta flights until we knew what the hell is happening.

For Rochester:

An incomplete list of some of the businesses that were looted/lit on fire last night by the peaceful protesters

1-The Villa in downtown
2-Rainbow on lake
3-Rent a center(which they burn down) on lake 4-Dollar General on lake
5-Liquor store on N Goodman
6-CVS on Portland and Clifford
7-Valero on west main
8-Kick and caps on west main
9-Pawn shop on west main
10-Clothes store on Clinton
11-His and hers on Clinton
12-The mall
13-Hair stores
14-Chase bank
15-Price rite on Dewey
16-Jean Factory in East ridge way
17-Walgreens on Lyell
18-Key bank
19-Walmart in Henrietta
20-Broadway on Goodman
21- East High School got caught on fire
22-Family Dollar On Dewey
23-Corner stores
24-Aaron’s on Lyell
25-Liquor store on Dewey
26-Walmart on Chili
27-Both liquor store on Hudson
28-Rite Aid on Clinton
29-Pawn Shop on Clinton
30-Liquor store on Portland
31-Rent A Center on Monroe
32-Wegmans on Ridgemont plaza
33-Pawn shop on stone rd
34-Walmart on Greece
34-Rite Aid On Portland
35-Metro Pcs on lake
36-Liquor store on ridgeway
37-Cricket on St Paul
38-The ENTIRE Goodman plaza
39-Walgreens in Monroe
40-7 11 on Monroe
41-Liqour Store on west ridge rd
42-Jump off on Lyell
43-Melville got torched
44-Smoke shop on Lyell
45-Jewlery store on Lyell
46-Daycare center on Lyell
47-Family Dollar On Portland
Oh man...i read this list half expecting Tahous on the list.

Regarding Antifa- 

So far as I know, they’re pretty small. They’re certainly radical and leftist- though so far as I know they don’t seem to have any ideas other than creating mayhem and anarchy. I’m very skeptical that they had a ton to do with the riots last night. They’re just not big enough. 

I watched the looters and rioters in Los Angeles last night local television. My firm impression was: these aren’t members of some terrorist organization. They’re young teenagers or young adults, set free with no rules, looking for trouble and easy loot. Some of them are probably legitimately angry over Floyd, but others were looking for some excitement and behaving badly. 

I’m reminded of the first episode of the show Justified, in which Raylan confronts Walton Goggins who is decked out in Nazi gear. After Goggins gives a speech about how the Jews are running the country, Raylan smirks and says “See I don’t think you care about any of that. I think you’re just looking for an excuse to blow #### up.”  

The thing with Antifa is the grand disconnect that they wouldn't even be a thing if a cop didn't choke a man to death in front of 4 other cops.  

All Trump had to do was say arrest that man with the same vigor as he is declaring his hatred of antifa.  The other cops are still walking free

Governor Ducey just issued an 8pm curfew here in AZ. He’s farting in the wind. I wouldn’t be surprised if Phoenix is bad tonight, our police here are pretty problematic to begin with

The thing with Antifa is the grand disconnect that they wouldn't even be a thing if a cop didn't choke a man to death in front of 4 other cops.  

All Trump had to do was say arrest that man with the same vigor as he is declaring his hatred of antifa.  The other cops are still walking free
Honestly, even arresting those other 3 former cops isn't enough. There needs to be a nationwide demilitarizing and retraining of police departments to even get us started on the right path towards justice and peace.

Hearing from some friends that still live in Nebraska about something that might spark things there -- last night a bar owner in Omaha shot and killed a 22 year old black man who was at the protest. I've seen claims that he was tagging the business, but I have no confirmation of the exact situation. The bar owner was brought in by police but released without charges -- seeing now that the shooter is "in custody" but no details of charges. Nebraska is not a "castle doctrine" state and there is a duty to retreat before employing deadly force.
The bar owner has been identified. There's a short video of the shooting in the tweet above. The bar owner is on the street outside supposedly taunting protesters. The person filming the video keeps yelling that he has a gun and "it isn't worth it" before a scuffle ensues and two shots are heard (the video then ends). I've heard allegations that the bar owner was yelling racial slurs, but it doesn't appear that you can hear either him or the people he's arguing with in the video of the shooting.

Is it my imagination or has FOX News been fairly subdued about the rioting and looting so far?  I've flipped through a few times and it doesn't have the feel I'd have expected at all.  There's a restraint to the coverage. 

Are the usual suspects still out there doing their regular thing and I'm just not seeing it?  Or is there an editorial decision to the coverage?  The latter would be interesting because it's presumably what they think will help Trump.

Now that’s just obtuse. The tone has turned dramatically toward anti-police. 
I highly doubt that anyone here is anti-police, but we are strongly against brutality being used on anyone in custody and posing zero threat, as well as being against excessive force in general.

Already cranked up in Philly today
I would like to hear how this is helping anyone? I mean our economy is screwed. I guess in the grand scheme of thing, what's a destruction of the city. But we're not really in a position to be pissing money away. As someone alluded to, the first thing to be cut from city and local budgets will be the same programs that help these folks. And it's our tax money that will be footing the bill for this. I guess for some, they don't mind?

I heard some crazy lady calling for the extermination of all cops to the crowd....like on a bullhorn
Yeah they switch audio between the streams.  Previously it was in Minneapolis and the whole crowd was singing amazing grace

Users who are viewing this thread