What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (1 Viewer)

bcat01 said:
Maybe he should have put the knife down.
Of course that would have been correct answer.   

Plus in these domestic cases the people involved are usually at a very elevated anger level caused by their own family issues by the time police arrive on the scene and that makes it very chaotic with people yelling and screaming.

bcat01 said:
Maybe he should have put the knife down.
Still not a valid reason to kill him. It's a melee weapon, the poluce have several ranged ones that don't have to kill. There's still a disconnect here.

Asking you.  Is it your contention that local police force, people that generally live in or near your communities, are out there acting like Sly Stallone in a bad movie? 
I'm saying that they shouldn't make that decision without exhausting every other option first. We've seen countless interactions where the police escalate a situation for no good reason, and nothing is changing.

I'm saying that they shouldn't make that decision without exhausting every other option first. We've seen countless interactions where the police escalate a situation for no good reason, and nothing is changing.
No, this is what you said...

The police shouldn't be executioners, that's why we have the legal system, warts and all.
Those two quotes do not imply the same thing.  So again, that's some heavy hyperbole there.  Sorry to think the rhetoric is at the very least poor phrasing.    

No, this is what you said...

Those two quotes do not imply the same thing.  So again, that's some heavy hyperbole there.  Sorry to think the rhetoric is at the very least poor phrasing.    
The police shouldn't kill people, or at the very least, not so quickly. There were lots of ways to defuse the situation without killing this man, yet they bypassed all of that anyway. By escalating situations like these to deadly force, they're essentially taking the law into their own hands.

The police shouldn't kill people, or at the very least, not so quickly. There were lots of ways to defuse the situation without killing this man, yet they bypassed all of that anyway. By escalating situations like these to deadly force, they're essentially taking the law into their own hands.
Maybe everyone with the answers for how police should act should join the force.  Then they could handle these situations instead of telling the police how it should have went.

Maybe everyone with the answers for how police should act should join the force.  Then they could handle these situations instead of telling the police how it should have went.
Or maybe the police need retraining on how to interact with communities they allegedly serve and protect, because what they have isn't working.

disagree.  man comes towards you with a weapon.  so you back up & try to talk him down?  respect your opinion but you are asking a lot.

maybe do some kung foo stuff & disarm him going hand to hand?

Still do not know why tranquilizer darts are not used more in these situations.  Pop a dart into the perp and run 20 yards away, in 30 seconds they will be docile.  Make the arrest and move on with everyone still alive.

Maybe the community needs to do better
It is a two way street, however, one group often enters a given situation with superior weaponry and ostensibly the authority of the law behind them, and many officers(not all, but many of them) are ill equipped to handle conflicts without resorting to violence.

It is a two way street, however, one group often enters a given situation with superior weaponry and ostensibly the authority of the law behind them, and many officers(not all, but many of them) are ill equipped to handle conflicts without resorting to violence.
And also a duty to protect and serve.

That would still not reflect on Biden, though, and I don't hold Kenney harmless.
 Social justice reform and a less toxic climate engendering a sense of hopelessness is what I had in mind. Don't want to further derail the topic,though.

A couple of new details of the case:
- Family called for ambulance, not police intervention
- Wife told police Wallace was bipolar
- Neither officer was issued a taser

I'm continually amazed at this this idea that if Republicans were running major cities that there would be less policing problems and racial harmony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pennsylvanians are not looking for four more years of shooting and looting.This is happening on Trump's watch, not Biden's.
Actually here in Philly, the blame is being placed on Mayor Jim Kenney, DA Larry Krasner and Commissioner Outlaw and to a lesser extent Gov. Tom Wolf.  Trump offered to send in the National Guard when the shooting happened.    

I'm continually amazed at this this idea that if Republicans were running major cities that there would be less policing problems and racial harmony.
I'm not insinuating either.  I am saying that many of the Dem led cities allowed rioting, burning, looting by either not calling the national guard or having the police "stand down".

Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis for starters.  

I don't think they think that far.

One of the laments that I hear from some people on The Right is how things were better back in "the day".....without them often acknowledging that back in "the day".....police would just straight crack skulls and beat the crap out of you.....and there wasn't much recourse; particularly for people of color.

I always thought that an authoritarian police state was something that Conservatives railed against.  More and more....I think they're comfortable with the narrative "as long as it doesn't happen to me".  

Actually here in Philly, the blame is being placed on Mayor Jim Kenney, DA Larry Krasner and Commissioner Outlaw and to a lesser extent Gov. Tom Wolf.  Trump offered to send in the National Guard when the shooting happened.    
I mentioned Kenney; should have included Outlaw.  Wolf has  mobilized the PA National Guard. It seems like there was a problem with the response team. 
As mentioned, the family called for an ambulance, not police intervention. Also, this from the article I posted yesterday: 
"Philly We Rise and other groups have called for reducing police spending to free up dollars that could go toward non-police responses. Unfortunately, city leaders have not developed similar plans and continue to rely on officer training programs and some co-response. Commissioner Danielle Outlaw has noted that this approach is not working as planned and in a recent event at the University of Texas Law School told me that she would ideally like to see non-police response capacity increased, though she remains concerned about potentially violent encounters and, not surprisingly, opposes any reduction in police spending."

Last edited by a moderator:
happening in almost all Dem led cities.  fixing a city starts with the mayor, then governor, then federal.  pretty sure you know that though.
So whether Biden or Trump is elected, it will have minimal effect on this.  Wonder why the Republicans are running on law and order when they really can't do much to control this.

So whether Biden or Trump is elected, it will have minimal effect on this.  Wonder why the Republicans are running on law and order when they really can't do much to control this.
Because there are going to be other elections.  So for example in Philadelphia, if we continue to elect Democratic Governors, Mayors and DAs then we get what we deserve.  We have evidence that Democrats can't handle the situation properly.  Maybe the Republicans can.  

Pennsylvanians are not looking for four more years of shooting and looting.This is happening on Trump's watch, not Biden's.
It will happen on everybodys watch going forward.  I think Biden will try and be tougher but not until the election is over. 

The rioters and looters do not care who gets shot as it gives the a reason. So that is always tough to manage for anyone.

Because there are going to be other elections.  So for example in Philadelphia, if we continue to elect Democratic Governors, Mayors and DAs then we get what we deserve.  We have evidence that Democrats can't handle the situation properly.  Maybe the Republicans can.  
So Philadelphia has been going downhill since 1952?

We have evidence that the Republicans can't handle it properly, either. We all saw Trump call the protesters "thugs," we saw him use police to tear gas a crowd outside the White House so he could take a photo on how badly he holds a Bible, and we saw him threaten to send in federal troops when they weren't wanted.

So Philadelphia has been going downhill since 1952?
I wasn't born in 1952 so I can't answer that.  I moved to the city in the 90s when Ed Rendell was mayor.  Every mayor since Rendell left office has done a worse and worse job.  I can't compare Rendell to his predecessor since I wasn't around.

Policing will be obsolete if they can't train properly

People will take things in their own hands.....

BLM is right on this, but policing will cause a MAJOR civil and race war. 

This country is in trouble, regardless of who wins

Users who are viewing this thread