What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Throwback Thursday Category: 90s Alternative One Hit Wonders (1 Viewer)

This is a tough one. Originally released in late 1989 but also released on their only official album in 1990. I might need a ruling on this one.

The ruling is that since it is basically Pearl Jam, minus Eddie Vedder, plus Andrew Wood...you have violated the terms and conditions of the thread as described in the original post. ;)

And lead singer of the Offspring is probably one of the smartest people on the planet.
You ain't kidding:

Holland attended Pacifica High School in Garden Grove, California, where he graduated as class valedictorian in 1984. During high school, Holland was the best student in mathematics in his year, and he found it "just as exciting as punk rock".[4] He then attended the University of Southern California, where he earned a BS in biology and an MS in molecular biology, and commenced a PhD in molecular biology.[5] After the success of The Offspring, he suspended his candidature to focus on music. Holland had said in 1995 that, when he turns 40 years of age, he would rather be a professor at a university than play music.[4]

As of 2013, Holland is a doctoral student at the Laboratory of Viral Oncology and Proteomics Research, Keck School of Medicine, where he is supervised by Professor Suraiya Rasheed.[6] In March 2013, Holland and co-authors published a paper in PLoS One regarding microRNA in HIV genomes,[7] titled "Identification of Human MicroRNA-Like Sequences Embedded within the Protein-Encoding Genes of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus".[8] The original academic paper describes the use of computational molecular biological (in silico) approaches to identify microRNA-like sequences in HIV. These sequences are suggested to have evolved to self-regulate survival of the virus in the host by evading its immune responses and thus influence the persistence, replication, and pathogenicity of HIV.

Life of Agony - Weeds, anyone?

ehhhh... didn't even chart on a sub chart list. I thought this song was freaking awesome. The video sort of ruins it though because the lead singer looks really dooshy for a band called "Life of Agony"

eta: definitely the most 90's video I've ever seen.... BLURRY STUFF, PLAYING IN A BARN, LEAD SINGER ACTING ALL EMO, SOME ANIMALS IN CAGES DOING STUFF IN FAST MOTION

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. Vega was '87, though. I remembered that from early high school, which is the only reason I knew that. And Letters To Cleo had "You're Awake and I'm Asleep" or something as another hit that I remember. Almost a cloyingly sweet song, but with nice riffs.

But these are really nitpicky. Nice list.

Awesome. Vega was '87, though. I remembered that from early high school, which is the only reason I knew that. And Letters To Cleo had "You're Awake and I'm Asleep" or something as another hit that I remember. Almost a cloyingly sweet song, but with nice riffs.

Didn't know Suzanne Vega was that much older - wow. Sounds very 90's-ish. Must have been one of those college radio classics, I'd assume. 10,000 maniacs were the best College Radio band from the era IMO. They had some really great albums in the late 80s

Didn't know Suzanne Vega was that much older - wow. Sounds very 90's-ish. Must have been one of those college radio classics, I'd assume. 10,000 maniacs were the best College Radio band from the era IMO. They had some really great albums in the late 80s
This is why. DNA remix, 1990. I think your call stands, as this was the hit. :bag:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_(duo)

Thank you - will check it out.

I'm just trying to think of MTV videos I remember that were on the daily countdown shows or in heavy rotation - whatever countdown show they did daily at 5 PM, I'm not sure I missed an episode between 91 and 98 or so. Some are a bit too obscure to consider "hits" I'm guessing as MTV rolled through a lot of crap videos that didn't necessarily go anywhere.

The Offspring certainly isn't a one hit wonder band, but this one hit (Bad Habit) from their breakout album is still the jam and a great stress reliever:

http://youtu.be/_wMa_t5cBgY
You gotta keep 'em separated.
I used to go to a diner where one of the cooks & one of the waitresses were always at war with each other. I would start singing that lyric and they would both just look at me.
Loved that album though. Self-Esteem and Nitro and Gotta Get Away. I must have seen them live 6 times in the span of 2 years.

Great song. I didn't know this until recently, but they lost the rights to that song the Rolling Stones. The string part throughout the song came from "The Last Time". Supposedly they had negotiated to use 5 notes, but they used more. It went to court and they lost. So the writing credits were changed to Jagger/Richards/Ashcroft and 100% of the royalties go the Stones. Ouch

Users who are viewing this thread