What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (20 Viewers)

Exactly. I had Akers as my 1.03, and Reagor as my 1.07. So in a sense I got 1.03, 1.07, plus 2 more firsts - four first round picks total and people say it’s not close.

I get that when trading a stud you generally want to get a stud back. But I’ll take my chances that four firsts will improve my team more than Barkley alone would.
I think its mostly that there is little to no chance that one of those 1st equal out to a Barkley.  Like most said, it would come down to team makeup.  I can't see making that trade for Barkley, but then I dont have him.  Been working on a trade to get him for a while, but most likely wasting me time.

I think its mostly that there is little to no chance that one of those 1st equal out to a Barkley.  Like most said, it would come down to team makeup.  I can't see making that trade for Barkley, but then I dont have him.  Been working on a trade to get him for a while, but most likely wasting me time.
That's likely a given. But the point is about whole roster management.

So if you don't think "Barkley + the next three starters" will get you as many points as you believe you'll get from "Akers/Reagor + 2 1sts" then you roll the dice on the latter.

Exactly. I had Akers as my 1.03, and Reagor as my 1.07. So in a sense I got 1.03, 1.07, plus 2 more firsts - four first round picks total and people say it’s not close.

I get that when trading a stud you generally want to get a stud back. But I’ll take my chances that four firsts will improve my team more than Barkley alone would.
My eyeballs kept reading that 2022 pick as a 2nd.  So, thats definitely better than I initially thought.  I'll downgrade my comments from "brake my wrist" accepting to "think for a couple minutes" before accepting.

Part of the problem is my evaluation on Akers and Raegor.  If it were Dobbins and Jefferson/Jeudy, I'd like it a lot more.  So I guess value is about right unless those future 1sts are from a team with a stacked roster.

That's likely a given. But the point is about whole roster management.

So if you don't think "Barkley + the next three starters" will get you as many points as you believe you'll get from "Akers/Reagor + 2 1sts" then you roll the dice on the latter.
With only 5 positional starters though it's unlikely that adding those 4 players will change the actual starting lineup much, other than losing Barkley from it.  Historically the most likely scenario is that 2 bust, 1 ends up as decent depth, and 1 ends up being a quality starter far below Barkley.

Last edited by a moderator:
With only 5 positional starters though it's unlikely that adding those 4 players will change the actual starting lineup much, other than losing Barkley from it.  Historically the most likely scenario is that 2 bust, 1 ends up as decent depth, and 1 ends up being a quality starter far below Barkley.
Hmm...well that's true too.

This.  With starting lineup requirements of 1 RB and 3 WR, there’s no way I’m trading Barkley for a bucket of maybes.  Lock Barkley in for the next 8 years and fill in the rest some other way.  

This is kind of the problem with studs. You're likely not getting a stud in return because why would the buyer give up a stud to get a stud? You can never have a surplus of studs on your roster. So even if its swapping out a WR for a RB, for example, it's probably not worth it.

So if you're selling, you're risking losing value - because you're likely gambling on the upside of what you get in return. 

Or if you're buying, you have to overpay to pry the guy away.

The economics of trading away/for studs in FFB is wonky. 

I follow all of this logic and hope it works out for you. But just wanted to point out that it is Barkley + players filling 3 roster spots, not Barkley alone.

That is exactly how I look at it. Keeping Barkley would absolutely make their starting lineup better, which as far as I am concerned is the only thing that matters. Everyone wants to chase value, but the reason selling/buying studs is wonky is because the name of the game isn't to get value, it's to get points. Barkley is special at getting points in a way none of these others are likely to. If it equals out to something like 1.03 and 1.07 plus the future 1sts then I'd like to have Dobbins and Jefferson and then I'd probably have to think about it. I don't think it's a bad deal but I have made at least 30 different offers in the last couple years that I think are better than this one (because they had proven studs somewhere in the deal) and have *never* got a counter. I own one share of Barkley now and it's only because I took him in a startup (at 1.03 in superflex ahead of Lamar Jackson). I've only seen him moved maybe twice in my leagues. Only once that I can actually point to off the top of my head, and this is going back to when he hadn't even been drafted yet. The 1.01 was untouchable that year.

That is exactly how I look at it. Keeping Barkley would absolutely make their starting lineup better, which as far as I am concerned is the only thing that matters. Everyone wants to chase value, but the reason selling/buying studs is wonky is because the name of the game isn't to get value, it's to get points. Barkley is special at getting points in a way none of these others are likely to. If it equals out to something like 1.03 and 1.07 plus the future 1sts then I'd like to have Dobbins and Jefferson and then I'd probably have to think about it. I don't think it's a bad deal but I have made at least 30 different offers in the last couple years that I think are better than this one (because they had proven studs somewhere in the deal) and have *never* got a counter. I own one share of Barkley now and it's only because I took him in a startup (at 1.03 in superflex ahead of Lamar Jackson). I've only seen him moved maybe twice in my leagues. Only once that I can actually point to off the top of my head, and this is going back to when he hadn't even been drafted yet. The 1.01 was untouchable that year.
Right - but I have Akers ahead of Dobbins and Reagor ahead of Jefferson in my rankings. You say you'd have to think about it if it was Dobbins and Jefferson instead - well, it doesn't sound like we are that far off.

I totally understand the point though, and honestly, a small part of me also was also thinking that this football season may not happen or may be cut short. In some weird way that seemed to increase the value of this year's rookies and the 2021 first when compared to Saquon. That wasn't my primary thinking, but just another factor.

This.  With starting lineup requirements of 1 RB and 3 WR, there’s no way I’m trading Barkley for a bucket of maybes.  Lock Barkley in for the next 8 years and fill in the rest some other way.  
There's a flex too, just to be clear.

Right - but I have Akers ahead of Dobbins and Reagor ahead of Jefferson in my rankings. You say you'd have to think about it if it was Dobbins and Jefferson instead - well, it doesn't sound like we are that far off.

I totally understand the point though, and honestly, a small part of me also was also thinking that this football season may not happen or may be cut short. In some weird way that seemed to increase the value of this year's rookies and the 2021 first when compared to Saquon. That wasn't my primary thinking, but just another factor.
Yeah but I'd still decline. I'd think about it and then decline.

Good morning mates:

12-team, non-SF dyn, 0.5 PPR, 30-roster spot, start QRRWWTFFD

Team A: DJ Moore

Team B: D Parker + 2021 1st rounder

Separately,  I have to agree with keeping Barkley as above, especially in the lower starting requirement set-up for all the reasons stated. That being said, you need to gamble to make those big moves, and who knows what Akers and those other 2 firsts turn into. But, imo, history isn't on their side, and my concern would be Barkley keeps those picks from being very high but you never know.

Thank you mates.

Let's not go beyond a 3-year window for dynasty.  A lot can happen, especially at RB
If that’s how you want to play it, no problem.  Sure, a lot can happen.  But I’m not viewing a generational talent like Barkley as “just a three year window” player.  I’d wager he returns plenty of value past the age of 26, which is what he’ll be three years from now.   And sure, there’s almost no chance he produces elite numbers for eight straight years, but I’ll take my chances on him and three open roster spots vs the four unknowns he was traded for.

Good morning mates:

Separately,  I have to agree with keeping Barkley as above, especially in the lower starting requirement set-up for all the reasons stated. That being said, you need to gamble to make those big moves, and who knows what Akers and those other 2 firsts turn into. But, imo, history isn't on their side, and my concern would be Barkley keeps those picks from being very high but you never know. 

Thank you mates.
Moore for me. 

Good morning mates:

Thank you mates.
I own both Moore and Parker in dynasty, but this wouldn’t come close to doing enough for me to move DJ. 

If that’s how you want to play it, no problem.  Sure, a lot can happen.  But I’m not viewing a generational talent like Barkley as “just a three year window” player.  I’d wager he returns plenty of value past the age of 26, which is what he’ll be three years from now.   And sure, there’s almost no chance he produces elite numbers for eight straight years, but I’ll take my chances on him and three open roster spots vs the four unknowns he was traded for.
If you want to exempt QBs, I am fine with that philosophy.  But I begin every dynasty season by looking at my roster with a three year window in mind. 

That doesn't mean that I want to jettison every player on my roster within the next three years, it's just that it's not realistic to look at any NFL player and say "That guy is going to be a stud for the next 6-8 years."

The 3-year thing is rolling.

But I begin every dynasty season by looking at my roster with a three year window in mind. 

That doesn't mean that I want to jettison every player on my roster within the next three years, it's just that it's not realistic to look at any NFL player and say "That guy is going to be a stud for the next 6-8 years."

I hear this a lot, this 3 year window. My question is why the arbitrary amount of 3 years? I never hear a 2 or 4 year window, I truly never understood why the 3 year window was  so key for a lot of people.

I own both Moore and Parker in dynasty, but this wouldn’t come close to doing enough for me to move DJ. 
.5 PPR makes it a bit closer for me, especially if the first turns into a good RB prospect, though on the surface I like the Moore side too.

FFWC ppr, 1/2/3/1/2,  yr2 of orphan rebuild in a lopsided lg with 3 dominant tms

Gave Arob

Got 2021 1st & 2d, Michael Pittman

Hated to give up Arob, but felt it was right move for where this tm is right now (2 yrs away). Picks are from tm that finished dead last in 2020 and should be mid rd or better imo. Hopefully Aaron Rodgers will be playing in Indy next yr😏

FFWC ppr, 1/2/3/1/2,  yr2 of orphan rebuild in a lopsided lg with 3 dominant tms

Gave Arob

Hated to give up Arob, but felt it was right move for where this tm is right now (2 yrs away). Picks are from tm that finished dead last in 2020 and should be mid rd or better imo. Hopefully Aaron Rodgers will be playing in Indy next yr😏
Good move.

Gave Arob

Nice trade for you. I would probably do this even if I was competing. 

I hear this a lot, this 3 year window. My question is why the arbitrary amount of 3 years? I never hear a 2 or 4 year window, I truly never understood why the 3 year window was  so key for a lot of people.
Do you play dynasty? 

Going into each season I take a critical look at my roster and determine which players I want to own over the next 1-3 seasons.  This takes into account whether or not I feel like my team has a legitimate shot at the league championship.

4 years is an eternity in dynasty.  Just go look at the rankings from June of 2016 and you'll see that this is true.

2 years isn't enough time to adequately evaluate rookies and some other young players in developmental positions.

Gave Arob

This deal is so perplexing for a team that finished last...ARob is a solid WR but not the guy I am gonna make a sweetheart deal for...this is a case where you can see why this guy finished last.

Rookie deals are usually 4 years, unless a 1st NFL draft round prospect. Most coaching situations don’t last the entire timespan.

3 years seems to be hedge on contract length, coaching, no replacements on the roster, and seeing if the player is actually an NFL talent for FF purposes.

Most FF players think everyone is an NFL talent for FF before they play a down. They think the player will last for 10 years. And of course, their situation will never change. But next year, the team will possibly bring some one in to take their job.

Couple trades in my main dynasty league from this week:

10 teams, ppr, superflex, full idp, 100 contract years per team (number in parenthesis is length of contract)

Team A Gave:
Singletary, Devin BUF RB (5); Year 2020 Draft Pick 3.08

Team B Gave:
Brown, Marquise BAL WR (5); Year 2020 Draft Pick 2.04

--------

Team C Gave:
Mattison, Alexander MIN RB (5)

Team D (Not the Cook owner) Gave:
Davis, Corey TEN WR (4)

------

Team E Gave:
Haskins, Dwayne WAS QB (5); Year 2020 Draft Pick 3.05

Team D Gave: 
Williams, Damien KCC RB (2); Year 2020 Draft Pick 4.01

------

Team A Gave:
Golladay, Kenny DET WR (3)

Team F Gave:
Year 2020 Draft Pick 1.09; Year 2020 Draft Pick 2.01

This deal is so perplexing for a team that finished last...ARob is a solid WR but not the guy I am gonna make a sweetheart deal for...this is a case where you can see why this guy finished last.
Yeah, it was actually an orphan team and he took it over this yr but I agree imho his tm isn't really ready to compete this yr but judging by the move he thinks it can; maybe hes right but the odds are stacked against him. Fwiw, he made the original offer and we countered a couple of times.  

If you want to exempt QBs, I am fine with that philosophy.  But I begin every dynasty season by looking at my roster with a three year window in mind. 

That’s fine and thats your approach, but then you’re likely to undervalue someone like CeeDee Lamb and overvalue Keenan Allen.    Similarly, I wouldn’t wager heavily on Barkley outproducing Henry over the next three years, but I would if the bet were over the next eight years.  You’re right, NFL lifespans are short.  But there are plenty of players who provide more than three years of usefulness, and when you end up with one of those the value is immense. Especially at RB, where an all purpose horse can outright win you the league.  I’m of the opinion that Barkley is one of those players, and that’s definitely based on the belief that he’s as good a bet as anyone to be elite for the next three years, as well as for plenty of years beyond that after he turns 26.  Sure, injuries can derail that, but I’ll roll the dice on that vs the same injury potential and bust factor for Akers, Reagor, and two unknown 1sts.  

Couple trades in my main dynasty league from this week:

10 teams, ppr, superflex, full idp, 100 contract years per team (number in parenthesis is length of contract)

Team A Gave:
Singletary, Devin BUF RB (5); Year 2020 Draft Pick 3.08

Team B Gave:
Brown, Marquise BAL WR (5); Year 2020 Draft Pick 2.04

--------

Team C Gave:
Mattison, Alexander MIN RB (5)

Team D (Not the Cook owner) Gave:
Davis, Corey TEN WR (4)

------

Team E Gave:
Haskins, Dwayne WAS QB (5); Year 2020 Draft Pick 3.05

Team D Gave: 
Williams, Damien KCC RB (2); Year 2020 Draft Pick 4.01

------

Team A Gave:
Golladay, Kenny DET WR (3)

Team F Gave:
Year 2020 Draft Pick 1.09; Year 2020 Draft Pick 2.01

Hollywood side pretty easily

Mattison side by miles

Pretty even I would probably take Williams side

Golladay

Do you play dynasty? 

Going into each season I take a critical look at my roster and determine which players I want to own over the next 1-3 seasons.  This takes into account whether or not I feel like my team has a legitimate shot at the league championship.

4 years is an eternity in dynasty.  Just go look at the rankings from June of 2016 and you'll see that this is true.

2 years isn't enough time to adequately evaluate rookies and some other young players in developmental positions.
Yes I play dynasty and not sure what I asked that you felt the need to ask me that question.

I just don't understand the arbitrary nature of 3 years. As Riffraff said in his response below I would think 4 years is more fitting but as I detailed in my response below I think it's more if an individual player specific scenario. I don't buy into this 2 years is not enough  but 4 years is to many and 3 is just right mindset that seems to be so pervasive.

And again backtracking to your question about if I play dynasty. One of my first dynasty teams was in 2013 and I took Julio, Bell and AB in the startup. I got 7 years out of Julio and Bell(6 if we count the missed season) and then dealt them this off-season for high picks and I still have AB. I just finished off my 6th straight season of being one of top two teams in the league because of these 3 players being my core for so long and again I exited out of Bell and Julio with high first round picks. So my opinion is it's lot more nuanced then saying 4 years is an eternity, 2 year is not enough but 3 years is just right.

Rookie deals are usually 4 years, unless a 1st NFL draft round prospect.

4 years seems more apt but I would and do look at each player on an individual basis, there is no set year for anticipated expiration or decline in value that works for all players. Some things are impossible to predict but contract, age/contract of supporting cast, security of coaching staff are key items I review and there is not set timeframe IMO that works but it's more of an individual basis. For example I got a team with a bunch of old WR's, Julio, Hilton and AB. I view that team as having 2-3 years to locate replacement WR's and as such a chance in 2-3 years if I fail at that task I'm looking at a rebuild. Case by case for me.

One of my first dynasty teams was in 2013 and I took Julio, Bell and AB in the startup. I got 7 years out of Julio and Bell(6 if we count the missed season)
Getting 3-10 years out of a player is irrelevant.  To me the important thing is looking at any player with a 3 year lens, regardless of their age.

I drafted many older vets in startups in the last few years because I was confident that I would get 3+ years out of them, but it doesn't matter HOW MANY years beyond 3 I get, because every year begins a new 3-year evaluation period.

If I look at Barkley as a 3 year investment today, it's also possible (likely?) that he will still be considered as a 3-year player three years down the road, that doesn't change the fact that I still evaluate him through that time period.

Getting 3-10 years out of a player is irrelevant.  To me the important thing is looking at any player with a 3 year lens, regardless of their age.

I drafted many older vets in startups in the last few years because I was confident that I would get 3+ years out of them, but it doesn't matter HOW MANY years beyond 3 I get, because every year begins a new 3-year evaluation period.

If I look at Barkley as a 3 year investment today, it's also possible (likely?) that he will still be considered as a 3-year player three years down the road, that doesn't change the fact that I still evaluate him through that time period.
Yea, for sure not how I manage my teams but to each their own.

That’s fine and thats your approach, but then you’re likely to undervalue someone like CeeDee Lamb and overvalue Keenan Allen.   
If I still owned Allen anywhere, I would be moving him for anything I can get. 

He has been dynasty kryptonite for the past several seasons.  I sold my last shares in 2019 and was relieved that I was able to get out from under him at all.

If I still owned Allen anywhere, I would be moving him for anything I can get. 

He has been dynasty kryptonite for the past several seasons.  I sold my last shares in 2019 and was relieved that I was able to get out from under him at all.
But at age 28 he likely has three decent years left in him.  And Lamb will likely start out a bit slowly as one of three solid WRs in an offense heavily featuring Zeke, so their production over the next three years is likely to be similar. No?  Shouldn’t they be valued similarly as of today?  If not, why not?  If the answer is because you simply hate Allen, then insert Robert Woods run the same analysis.  I’m generally dumbfounded how someone can say they play dynasty and don’t look past three years.  I positively refuse to believe that’s actually the case.  Otherwise most would take Allen or Woods over Lamb and do cartwheels.  Yet nobody is doing that.  Why not?  

But at age 28 he likely has three decent years left in him.  And Lamb will likely start out a bit slowly as one of three solid WRs in an offense heavily featuring Zeke, so their production over the next three years is likely to be similar. No?  Shouldn’t they be valued similarly as of today?  If not, why not?  If the answer is because you simply hate Allen, then insert Robert Woods run the same analysis.  I’m generally dumbfounded how someone can say they play dynasty and don’t look past three years.  I positively refuse to believe that’s actually the case.  Otherwise most would take Allen or Woods over Lamb and do cartwheels.  Yet nobody is doing that.  Why not?  
3 decent years as a WR2 at best?  That's essentially worthless in dynasty and untradeable. 

I'm not looking at any two players and comparing them to their redraft point totals over the next three years, I'm also taking into account team situation, likely trade value and whether that value will increase or decrease over the period of time I'm consdering owning them.

Allen is a depreciating asset, regardless of what he scores over the next three seasons.  I would also argue that his team situation and QB are suboptimal and therefore it's damn likely that Lamb will outscore him as soon as 2021.   And even if he doesn't, Lamb's perceived value will be higher. 

I run my dynasty teams by buying low and selling high if I'm not in immediate contention.  The window for that is long past with Allen, but I would consider trading for him with a future 2nd round pick + player if I determined he could help me now.

You could view Robert Woods in a similar way, even though I believe that he will have a superior season to Allen in 2020. 

And FWIW, Lamb currently has an ADP above both Allen and Woods, meaning that dynasty players in general feel like he's the better 3-year investment.

Good morning mates:

Thank you mates.
I like Moore by a lot in that scenario.

Don't have enough tools to adequately rate this, so thought I'd ask you guys.

12 team ppr, QRRWWTFFDK

Team A: Aaron Rodgers and Preston Williams

Team B: Christian Kirk and Chris Herndon

3 decent years as a WR2 at best?  That's essentially worthless in dynasty and untradeable. 
If you're not looking beyond three years, then three years as a WR2 is the opposite of worthless.

I'm not looking at any two players and comparing them to their redraft point totals over the next three years, I'm also taking into account team situation, likely trade value and whether that value will increase or decrease over the period of time I'm consdering owning them.
But by stating that you're taking into account their likely trade value increasing/decreasing over that time frame, you're absolutely valuing players beyond three years. 

Allen is a depreciating asset, regardless of what he scores over the next three seasons.  I would also argue that his team situation and QB are suboptimal and therefore it's damn likely that Lamb will outscore him as soon as 2021.   And even if he doesn't, Lamb's perceived value will be higher. 
Allen is absolutely a depreciating asset, but not necessarily if you're only looking at his value over the next three years. He's likely to be pretty solid for the next three years. 

Of course Lamb's perceived value will be higher.  That's because he has a potential 10+ year career ahead of him, and it's 100% certain that Keenan Allen does not. 

And FWIW, Lamb currently has an ADP above both Allen and Woods, meaning that dynasty players in general feel like he's the better 3-year investment.
And of course Lamb has an ADP above Allen and Woods.  That's not because owners are only viewing these players in a three year window.  If they were, they'd heavily lean towards the guy(s) who are likely to score more points over the next three years.  Lamb's ADP is higher SOLELY because his outlook and ability to potentially help you win beyond the next three years (and be a non-depreciating asset) is light years better than Allen and Woods.  And sure, he has the potential to outscore them as soon as this year. 

It seems that you're more or less admitting you absolutely do look beyond three years, otherwise you wouldn't take into account much whether a player's trade value is likely to increase/decrease during that timeframe.  By taking that into account, you're absolutely looking beyond three years.  That's what missing from the "three year window" vantage point.  But then it's really not a three year window.  It feels like that's the disconnect. 

If you're not looking beyond three years, then three years as a WR2 is the opposite of worthless.

But by stating that you're taking into account their likely trade value increasing/decreasing over that time frame, you're absolutely valuing players beyond three years. 

Allen is absolutely a depreciating asset, but not necessarily if you're only looking at his value over the next three years. He's likely to be pretty solid for the next three years. 

Of course Lamb's perceived value will be higher.  That's because he has a potential 10+ year career ahead of him, and it's 100% certain that Keenan Allen does not. 

And of course Lamb has an ADP above Allen and Woods.  That's not because owners are only viewing these players in a three year window.  If they were, they'd heavily lean towards the guy(s) who are likely to score more points over the next three years.  Lamb's ADP is higher SOLELY because his outlook and ability to potentially help you win beyond the next three years (and be a non-depreciating asset) is light years better than Allen and Woods.  And sure, he has the potential to outscore them as soon as this year. 

It seems that you're more or less admitting you absolutely do look beyond three years, otherwise you wouldn't take into account much whether a player's trade value is likely to increase/decrease during that timeframe.  By taking that into account, you're absolutely looking beyond three years.  That's what missing from the "three year window" vantage point.  But then it's really not a three year window.  It feels like that's the disconnect. 

Thank you for mansplaining my dynasty strategy.  I'm done with you and this entire conversation.

I think what @tangfoot is saying is that things change VERY fast in the NFL. You just never know. Heck, just a few years ago the top 3 RB's (or at least 3 of the top 5) were David Johnson, Leveon Bell, and Todd Gurley. Now they can all be had for a song. It's very hard to look out at the landscape and say someone will be stud for 8 years. It just doesn't happen that often.

Now sure, youth is better than age because there's a CHANCE a young guy stays studly for a long time (Zeke seems to be on that track), but it is pretty rare, so taking a shorter time outlook is generally more helpful. 

For the most part, I agree with @tangfoot that a three year sliding window is a good way to manage a dynasty team. It's not hard and fast - of course there are guys you pick and hold and hope they grow into their role (Davante Adams for example). But overall, 3 years is about as far out as I project.

I would say if your strategy is working and you're winning, then keep doing it! Isn't winning what it's all about? I'm not sure that there is only one way to do it. My strategy is way different but it works, so I'll keep rolling as well!

Kirk side by quite a bit. I have him well ahead of Williams and in a start 1qb league Rodgers wasn't even a starter last year. His value is on name only. 
How about if Team B's qbs are Dalton and Cam?  :)   (I know, he'll draft a qb at 2.02, but still...)

Value is still value. In a 1 qb league Rodgers doesn't have a lot to me. 
He was my 3rd pick in the startup of this dynasty 12ish years ago.  I need to just hold him and let him backup Lamar till he decides to hang 'em up.  :)  (I also still have the 1.1 from that draft - Adrian Peterson.  I am terrible at this.)

Users who are viewing this thread