What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (2 Viewers)

Just got back from seeing The Dead South it was a great show.  Highly recommend seeing them it was really a good time.  Those guys really enjoy what they do.

if anybody's in NYC...

The Hold Steady‘s third annual ‘Massive Nights’ holiday run at NYC’s Brooklyn Bowlbegins this Wednesday (11/28), and they’ve begun revealing (very exciting) openers for the shows.

On night one (11/28), which will see THS playing Stay Positive in full for its 10th anniversary, Ted Leo is opening with a solo set. That’s currently one of just two upcoming shows for Ted (the other being in Providence on Saturday).

On night two (11/29), it’ll be a solo set from Jeff Rosenstock. That’s one of many upcoming dates for Jeff, who also has a BrooklynVegan-presented four-night run at NYC’s Bowery Ballroom in February, where he’ll be recording a new live album (all sold out except for night one).

No word yet on THS’ openers for Friday (11/30) and Saturday (12/1). Tickets for nights one and two are still on sale, and advance tickets for nights three and four are sold out but there will be limited admission at doors.

After the ‘Massive Nights’ run, The Hold Steady have 2019 shows, including other tristate area shows in NJ and CT in May (tickets). They also play Frank Turner’s Boston run. As for Hold Steady frontman Craig Finn, he has a new solo album coming in spring 2019 and he’s going to play it in full at Brooklyn’s Murmurr Theatre in January (tickets). Craig also plays the Scott Hutchison (Frightened Rabbit) tribute in Brooklyn next week (12/5).

Anybody heading to NOLA for the Anders Osborne Christmas Spectacular?

Friday 14th- Anders teams up with Joan Osborne who he is touring this late fall doing Dylan, and then he also welcomes back his old cohort Theresa Andersson which should be special.

Saturday - 15th - Anders works with Todd Mohr (Big Head Todd & The Monsters) and Vince Herman (Leftover Salmon) - going to be a Colorado Night! - plus Billy Iuso will be back and he and Anders work real good together.

Also I'm going to a special show at Maple Leaf Sunday afternoon for Anders Foundation - Big Chief Monk, Big Chief Juan, Kirk Joseph, Brad Walker and more

Saw Smashing Pumpkins last night at a new venue in Madison, Wi called the Sylvee and they just killed it. The place has a capacity of 2500 and the sound in there is as good as I've heard for a venue that size. Really impressed

Got an announcement for this earlier today and pounced on it.  Small theater - Novo/Microsoft Theater at LA Live.  $75 lower level.  What a lineup.  Benefit for Mental Health

SUN DEC 02 – 6:00 PM

Guitar Legends 2

With Featuring Billy Gibbons, Joe Bonamassa, Don Felder, Sammy Hagar, Robby Krieger, Dave Navarro, Orianthi, Vernon Reid, Stephen Stills and Emily Estefan

The Novo, Los Angeles CA

Saw Vince Neil last night at the Canyon. Doing all Motley Crue stuff. Not a huge fan but why not on a Friday night. He sounded good. Man he got fat! Drummer was insane. A lot of Tommy Lee-like showmanship. 

Saw Smashing Pumpkins last night at a new venue in Madison, Wi called the Sylvee and they just killed it. The place has a capacity of 2500 and the sound in there is as good as I've heard for a venue that size. Really impressed
I'm still pissed I was unable to get tickets for the Tucson show this week. They sold out really fast here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got an announcement for this earlier today and pounced on it.  Small theater - Novo/Microsoft Theater at LA Live.  $75 lower level.  What a lineup.  Benefit for Mental Health

SUN DEC 02 – 6:00 PM

Guitar Legends 2

With Featuring Billy Gibbons, Joe Bonamassa, Don Felder, Sammy Hagar, Robby Krieger, Dave Navarro, Orianthi, Vernon Reid, Stephen Stills and Emily Estefan

The Novo, Los Angeles CA
This was outstanding!!! Couldn't have been more than a few hundred people.  Tiny place.  Will be televised nationally as a fundraiser.  Highly suggest watching it.  Highlight was Joe B, Robby Kriefer and Sammy Hagar.  Vernon Reid was great.  Stills was outstanding.  Orianthi can shred.  Billy Gibbons was the host and jammed most of the show.  Only hiccup they won't show on TV is Don Felder had a vocal track playing that was on a delay.  He sang, so it wasn't lip synching, but it was sorta embarrassing...

Tis the season.  2019 concert dates coming daily.  Just booked Hootie and the Blowfish at the Hollywood Bowl.  Sweet Terrace Box seats with a Citi card presale. I guess they have a new album company out.  Dead and Company at the Bowl went on sale too.  They wanted Stones-like prices on those so will wait.

This was outstanding!!! Couldn't have been more than a few hundred people.  Tiny place.  Will be televised nationally as a fundraiser.  Highly suggest watching it.  Highlight was Joe B, Robby Kriefer and Sammy Hagar.  Vernon Reid was great.  Stills was outstanding.  Orianthi can shred.  Billy Gibbons was the host and jammed most of the show.  Only hiccup they won't show on TV is Don Felder had a vocal track playing that was on a delay.  He sang, so it wasn't lip synching, but it was sorta embarrassing...
Sounds like a great night, really interesting lineup there

I generally try to pick up tickets a day or so before I go to shows via vivid seats or something.  Does the pre-sale route offer you a decent selection or are most of the tickets usually already taken by re-selllers?

I generally try to pick up tickets a day or so before I go to shows via vivid seats or something.  Does the pre-sale route offer you a decent selection or are most of the tickets usually already taken by re-selllers?
I think it’s just a way to create excitement and panic among fans.  Only a limited selection.  

I think it’s just a way to create excitement and panic among fans.  Only a limited selection.  
It really depends.  Some times the only way you can get a decent seat anywhere near list price is through a presale.  As an example, last summer I did the earliest presale for Bruno Mars at TMobile in Las Vegas (1st North America stop on his tour).  I got lower level perfect view for $100 or $125 face value.  They were going for $500+ all the way up to the day of the show.  On the flip side I've seen mad panic for presales and then the act adds 3 more shows in the same venue.  In those cases it's far better to wait and you can often get good tickets under face value the closer you get to the show.  Usually when I see a huge act come to Los Angeles an announce a Thursday show I'm pretty confident that Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday will be added. So I'll roll the dice and wait for the weekend show to be added then pounce.

To my point - straight from Wikipidia.  You can call them rock as long as you have the alt, folk, etc designation I guess.

Mumford & Sons have been described by The Hollywood Reporter and Forbes as a folk rock band.[34][89] They began by using bluegrass and folk instrumentation, with the core instruments of acoustic guitar, banjo, piano and a double bass, played with a rhythmic style based in alternative rock and folk. In the documentary Big Easy Express, Marcus Mumford recognises the Old Crow Medicine Show influence: "I first heard Old Crow’s music when I was, like, 16, 17, and that really got me into, like, folk music, bluegrass. I mean, I’d listened to a lot of Dylan, but I hadn’t really ventured into the country world so much. So Old Crow were the band that made me fall in love with country music."[90]Mumford acknowledges that "the band inspired them to pick up the banjo and start their now famous country nights in London." Ketch Secor, Old Crow front-man, concurs: "Those boys took the message and ran with it."[91]

Jealous.  Really want to see GVF. Missed them at a local LA show at Ford amphitheater.

Did go for less expensive Dead and Company tix at Hollywood Bowl on June 3rd.  Amex presale.  

I think the "bigger" pre-sale like "For AT&T customers" are just random seats, but the fan-club type pre-sale promotions are the real deal. My daughter wanted Luke Combs tickets. I'm a fan too, so I joined his fan club (free) to get in on his fan-club pre-sale deal and see how it went. Got front-row first-level tickets for about half what I expected to pay for them. Pretty sure I could sell and double my money later. 

They are selling for $200.00 a piece here. That seems insane to me. I am working on getting a ticket but I wont pay that. I have about 24 hrs left to score a ticket. I have a couple of leads and I am really wanting to get into this show. It is turning into an obsession. Anyone listen to the new album? Its pretty solid.

They are selling for $200.00 a piece here. That seems insane to me. I am working on getting a ticket but I wont pay that. I have about 24 hrs left to score a ticket. I have a couple of leads and I am really wanting to get into this show. It is turning into an obsession. Anyone listen to the new album? Its pretty solid.
New album is meh, but at only 8 songs /30 something minutes I was pretty confident that it wasn’t going to dominate the setlist and it didn’t. What they did play from it was decent enough and I don’t think they played any two songs from the album back to back. So the show never came to that ‘Here’s Our new music’ grinding halt. 

This was my 4th Pumpkins show. Being from Chicago, I’ve seen the hometown crowd revel in their greatness and I’ve seen that same hometown crowd justifiably boo them off the stage,. I wasn’t sure what to expect out of the show regardless of the location. 

It’s now 7 days later and I’m still on a bit of a Pumpkins kick because of it. 

Opening act is "comedian" Jim Breuer, but all he's done is spend 90 minutes going "WHAT'S UP PORTLAND?!! ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?@"

New album is meh, but at only 8 songs /30 something minutes I was pretty confident that it wasn’t going to dominate the setlist and it didn’t. What they did play from it was decent enough and I don’t think they played any two songs from the album back to back. So the show never came to that ‘Here’s Our new music’ grinding halt. 

This was my 4th Pumpkins show. Being from Chicago, I’ve seen the hometown crowd revel in their greatness and I’ve seen that same hometown crowd justifiably boo them off the stage,. I wasn’t sure what to expect out of the show regardless of the location. 

It’s now 7 days later and I’m still on a bit of a Pumpkins kick because of it. 
This morning they are up to $242.00 a piece.

Still dont have my ticket and if the price does not drop significantly I wont.

This morning they are up to $242.00 a piece.

Still dont have my ticket and if the price does not drop significantly I wont.
I scored a last minute GA ticket to the Smashing Pumpkins last night. Show was fantastic in a small venue. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw George Strait at TMobile in Vegas on Friday night and then Brooks and Dunn/Reba at Caesar's on Saturday night.  2nd time seeing George and he is just phenomenal.  Man has he built a loyal following.  Lyle Lovette opened up with his big band.  Very talented.  George played 2+ hours including some cool covers (You Wreck Me by Petty).

I was surprised by how good the Brooks and Dunn/Reba show was.  Huge fan of the former and sort of equated it to Tim McGraw/Faith Hill. Wanted to see more Tim in that show and I originally wanted all Brooks and Dunn.  But Reba was really good.  And the venue is terrific.  Probably best I've been to in Vegas.  We were 10 rows back in the orchestra but it's small.  Intimate theater, no screens needed.

Has anyone noticed that the concert ticket industry has turned into the airline industry with "dynamic pricing" with "platinum tickets"? Ticketmasters new platform sucks so bad for fans. Hard to imagine I could hate TM more than before, but they figured it out. There is now a random waiting line for most events, meaning you can't just plan on logging when tix are onsale and expect to see inventory. When you do get in be prepared to see dynamic pricing, meaning that price fluctuates based on demand for the best seats. So, basically they are scalping their own tickets. Most shows were already outrageously priced. I find myself just sticking to small shows now. Any big show you will be gouged if you buy early. Unless you have money to burn it isn't worth it to buy tickets early for concerts anymore IMO. The only really strategy if you want a decent priced ticket is to wait it out to show time and pick up the scraps when they either add more tickets (which they seem to always do) and/or the secondary market collapses. It's an entirely new game. 

ericttspikes said:
Has anyone noticed that the concert ticket industry has turned into the airline industry with "dynamic pricing" with "platinum tickets"? Ticketmasters new platform sucks so bad for fans. Hard to imagine I could hate TM more than before, but they figured it out. There is now a random waiting line for most events, meaning you can't just plan on logging when tix are onsale and expect to see inventory. When you do get in be prepared to see dynamic pricing, meaning that price fluctuates based on demand for the best seats. So, basically they are scalping their own tickets. Most shows were already outrageously priced. I find myself just sticking to small shows now. Any big show you will be gouged if you buy early. Unless you have money to burn it isn't worth it to buy tickets early for concerts anymore IMO. The only really strategy if you want a decent priced ticket is to wait it out to show time and pick up the scraps when they either add more tickets (which they seem to always do) and/or the secondary market collapses. It's an entirely new game. 
I did not know this....But come to think of it they aren't posting ticket pricing ranges with the "info" any more.

more floppinho shows coming up...

his first actual school performance is on friday morning (just the 14 kids in his grade). we've recently found out that some of these kids are already touring europe and asia playing (piano and violin), so I have a feeling dis gonna be good. it's all individual performances, not ensemble. the school focuses on individual- lessons and performing- ensemble stuff is extracurricular, other than chorus... and we have his first chorus performance friday night. 

oh- also caught the dad of one of floppinha's school friends who is a lifetime musician/music-industry guy. just released a new album and performed it around the corner from us (the advantage of living in the hood we do in NYC- tons of small-mid music clubs with a few blocks of us). I think he's a really good song writer, and he got a great group of musicians around him. not my wheelhouse musically (roots-rock americana, I think?), and not digging his voice- but props and full respect to the guy for putting it out there. Drexel and the Spirit

Users who are viewing this thread