What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (4 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
But stepping back from parsing words, it is a generally true statement.

The question is whether it is the result of a gun problem, a cultural violence problem, a gang problem, or a mix of some/all of the aforementioned.
I agree with the first line and think the second is a mix of all 3. While the latter part of the the second line certainly holds weight, the former cannot be dismissed. 

The estimates are mind numbing, more guns than adults in the USA. The craziest part is that 3-5% of the population is estimated to own roughly half of those. Looking at those two previous sentences, that is a gun problem IMO and it spills over into the other parts of your statement.

I agree with the first line and think the second is a mix of all 3. While the latter part of the the second line certainly holds weight, the former cannot be dismissed. 

The estimates are mind numbing, more guns than adults in the USA. The craziest part is that 3-5% of the population is estimated to own roughly half of those. Looking at those two previous sentences, that is a gun problem IMO and it spills over into the other parts of your statement.
We will defend your right to say that. With our mind numbing numbers of guns, if necessary. :pickle:  

the fact that 3-5% own roughly half of those is the antithesis of a "gun problem"

I would suggest that 90% (or higher) of the crimes committed in this country are by one-gun owners, many of whom stole it, or bought it illegally.   Focus on stopping that, and leave the law abiding gun owners out of your horribly established and poorly thought out thesis.

the fact that 3-5% own roughly half of those is the antithesis of a "gun problem"

I would suggest that 90% (or higher) of the crimes committed in this country are by one-gun owners, many of whom stole it, or bought it illegally.   Focus on stopping that, and leave the law abiding gun owners out of your horribly established and poorly thought out thesis.
Sure, but anytime people bring up rules to try to do just that, it's the law abiding gun owners that yell the loudest and think that Big Brother is going to come take all their guns away the very next day. 

Sure, but anytime people bring up rules to try to do just that, it's the law abiding gun owners that yell the loudest and think that Big Brother is going to come take all their guns away the very next day. 
I don't think any law abiding gun owner is trying to stop the police from people illegally obtaining guns or using them in criminal acts.   These are the people we "bad gun owners" own the guns for which to shoot at these #######s.  

You know that, I think, but want to say "ban assualt rifles" or "eliminate high capacity magazines" as though 90% of crime isn't with some cheap automatic handgun.

Because I apparently can't help myself, I did some quick research on the differences in non-gun homicide rates in the United States vs. some developed peer countries. :nerd:

As I stated earlier, I think the US is culturally different in terms of violence than many of developed nations. That is a bad thing, but gun crime isn't the cause of that, it is a symptom.

So, to test my hypothesis, I looked at homicide rates that didn't involve guns.

It was pretty simple. I used the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime Database to do the research. I compared the year 2011, since that was the latest year with relatively full data coverage. Unfortunately, there are data availability issues that made including the UK, Germany and France in the comparison impossible. They either don't collect homicide data by weapon or there was some other problem.

According to UN data, the homicide rate per 100,000 people in the United States in 2011 was 4.7 and firearms were used in 59% of homicides. So that means the "non-gun" rate was 1.9 per 100,000.

I compared the US rate to Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. Canada had the nearest overall homicide rate to the US, but it was less than half of the rate, at 1.8 (i.e. the United States has 2.6x the number of homicides per capita that Canada does). The simple (not population weighted) average across my sample set of comparison countries was 1.0 per 100,000.

Adjusting to look at only non-gun homicides, the US rate fell to 1.9 per 100,000, while the simple average of the other countries fell to a rate of 0.8. 

Here is a simple tabulation of the data.

So, yes, the US is significantly different from other peer countries in terms of homicide rates that don't involve guns, which supports my hypothesis that the US is culturally different in terms of violence.

Last edited by a moderator:
If everyone on this board stopped responding to users with minimal amounts of posts, it would be such a better place. Arguing with 84 post Marvin is like arguing with some lunatic in the Yahoo comments section.

I'll engage with RedmondLonghorn bc he has provided a history of thought out posts on this topic. While I definitely will disagree with him on most of his stances on guns, his perspective is worth reading to see the thoughts from someone on the other side.

If everyone on this board stopped responding to users with minimal amounts of posts, it would be such a better place. Arguing with 84 post Marvin is like arguing with some lunatic in the Yahoo comments section.

I'll engage with RedmondLonghorn bc he has provided a history of thought out posts on this topic. While I definitely will disagree with him on most of his stances on guns, his perspective is worth reading to see the thoughts from someone on the other side.
"84 post Marvin" - :rofl:  I was over 10,000 posts when you were just an itch in your daddy's pants.

I'll leave it alone.  You don't know jack #### about guns.  I know that now.

That is because the gun is just the mechanism for the crime, not the cause.

That is because the gun is just the mechanism for the crime, not the cause.
Oh I agree.  It was just an observation that people that don't seem to be effected by a suggested law still are very against it. 

Overall, we really don't want to attack the problem on any front and I and others find it insanely frustrating.  Like you said, there are a multitude of factors at play here and guns are a piece of the puzzle.  We still treat mental health as taboo, income and poverty are in the mix, being overworked, the media sensationalizing these very rare instances, deterioration of the family unit, on and on.   I think that many people find that attacking the gun issue might be the quickest and easiest way to stop some of these happenings (right or wrong). 

I have softened so much on the gun issue b/c I feel like a hypocrite.  I can't get pissed at other people telling me what I can or can't put in my body, what I can or can't say, or other things I value without stopping to see people's view on their guns and why they own them. 

Oh I agree.  It was just an observation that people that don't seem to be effected by a suggested law still are very against it. 

Overall, we really don't want to attack the problem on any front and I and others find it insanely frustrating.  Like you said, there are a multitude of factors at play here and guns are a piece of the puzzle.  We still treat mental health as taboo, income and poverty are in the mix, being overworked, the media sensationalizing these very rare instances, deterioration of the family unit, on and on.   I think that many people find that attacking the gun issue might be the quickest and easiest way to stop some of these happenings (right or wrong). 

I have softened so much on the gun issue b/c I feel like a hypocrite.  I can't get pissed at other people telling me what I can or can't put in my body, what I can or can't say, or other things I value without stopping to see people's view on their guns and why they own them. 
Criminal justice reform and finding some sensible alternative to the War on Drugs would make a massive difference, IMO. But not overnight. And those things are hard to do.

We incarcerate far too many people in this country, especially for minor and non-violent offenses, in the interest of "being tough on crime". I am no criminologist, but I have a strong suspicion that doing so actually causes crime because it creates a class of people who find it difficult to impossible to find legitimate gainful employment, not to mention what it does to their families' circumstances while they are locked up.

And the War on Drugs not only perpetuates the above, it also stimulates violence. Since it is a supply-side "remedy" (using the term very loosely), it has the effect of increasing the street value of illicit substances. Higher dollars in play means more profit potential for criminal entrepreneurs, which makes it both attractive as an illegal vocation and worth killing over.

Yep, this is it.  I own quite a few guns, but would be completely UNOFFENDED by an "assault weapons" ban.  But that's because I don't want one.  I've used an M-16 and M60 in the Army.   I don't target practice anymore like that, nor do I varmint hunt.  But to say it's ok to ban them because I don't like them or want them is the same as saying "they should outlaw cigarettes" or "they should outlaw abortion" because I don't see any good reason for either.   Many will stand on the freedom side.  Both of those things kill MILLIONS more than guns.

Dems really need to stop with the gun control.  People don't want it.  Both sides of the isle want to keep their guns.  Guns make people feel safe.  If we learned anything in this election it's that people vote with their feelz.  

Look at how passionate both side of the Trump debate are.  Both FEEL strongly.  Guns have a similar effect.

You can take an old man's health (thank coal mine).  You can take his money (thanks medical industrial complex).  Take his home (thank Countrywide).  And you can take his wife (thanks cancer).  But don't try to take his gun.  A lot of these voters simply see taking away their guns as taking away their last bit of independence.  Their last piece of virility.  

Just leave the guns alone.  It will either work out, or it won't.  People will die either way.  

You aren't going to legislate your way out of a mass shooting.  You just aren't.  Quit living in fear of the ubiquitous mass shooter boogeymen.  Let people keep their guns.  

Guns were a big reason Trump won.  Now you get 4 years of rollback of gun laws.  How'd that work out for you?

You aren't going to ever win the gun debate.  This is an area where the Democratic party is simply wrong.  They need to acknowledge it.  Own it.  Get past it, and quit giving votes away because of it.  
Wrongest post I've read here in maybe years. 

Yep, this is it.  I own quite a few guns, but would be completely UNOFFENDED by an "assault weapons" ban.  But that's because I don't want one.  I've used an M-16 and M60 in the Army.   I don't target practice anymore like that, nor do I varmint hunt.  But to say it's ok to ban them because I don't like them or want them is the same as saying "they should outlaw cigarettes" or "they should outlaw abortion" because I don't see any good reason for either.   Many will stand on the freedom side.  Both of those things kill MILLIONS more than guns.

There's a massive difference.  Cigarettes are a thing you want to put in your body, go for it.  You're not innately dangerous to someone else.  Stock your home with AK47s, for your moron/depressed high schooler to tote around town?  Now you're not just making stupid decisions that affect yourself.  Your stupid decisions start to affect others. 

I just don't see the linkage between gun control and cigarette control.  Even alcohol control, someone will come in and tell me "yeah but oats people drink and drive and main and kill other people," but at least in that instance it's a thing that isn't specifically designed to maim and kill people.  There's a huge divide between the two.

Wrongest post I've read here in maybe years. 
Which part?  The part about Trump winning largely because of guns?  Or the part where people have been basically emasculated by forces beyond their control and guns help them feel safe?  Or do you figure you can legislate away mass shootings?  

Otis said:
There's a massive difference.  Cigarettes are a thing you want to put in your body, go for it.  You're not innately dangerous to someone else.  Stock your home with AK47s, for your moron/depressed high schooler to tote around town?  Now you're not just making stupid decisions that affect yourself.  Your stupid decisions start to affect others. 

I just don't see the linkage between gun control and cigarette control.  Even alcohol control, someone will come in and tell me "yeah but oats people drink and drive and main and kill other people," but at least in that instance it's a thing that isn't specifically designed to maim and kill people.  There's a huge divide between the two.
Again, fewer people agree that a ban on "assault weapons" is necessary than think Trump is doing a bang up job so far.

That doesn't necessarily make your viewpoint wrong (though I think it is), but it does mean that relatively few people share it. Which makes doing what you would like to do politically impossible.

Otis said:

Killing is killing.  If you didn't care about that, you'd subtract every suicide, and then there would be even more things more deadly than guns.  I notice you didn't mention abortion here. 

Otis said:
Oh goodie!  The "cars are like guns" gambit!  Love this one. 
Wrong gambit. It was the "If you are going to child-proof the world because stupid people might hurt themselves and others then you should start with cars because they kill a lot more people than guns" gambit. Cars are not like guns. I worry a great deal more that a car will kill me than a gun, but I will admit I part of the reason I feel that way is based on where I live.

For that matter, high fructose corn syrup may be killing more than both of them combined. Maybe we should have a 30-day waiting period to buy or sell a soda.

Wrong gambit. It was the "If you are going to child-proof the world because stupid people might hurt themselves and others then you should start with cars because they kill a lot more people than guns" gambit. Cars are not like guns. I worry a great deal more that a car will kill me than a gun, but I will admit I part of the reason I feel that way is based on where I live.

For that matter, high fructose corn syrup may be killing more than both of them combined. Maybe we should have a 30-day waiting period to buy or sell a soda.
These types of arguments drive me nuts it really kills debates.  Lets not pretend like they are the same thing.  I think we are all well aware of the inherent dangers of driving or other things that have been thrown out here.  Sure, I am more likely to die that way vs. a gunshot, but I also accept the dangers when I get on the road.  I don't think any of us think that it should be an accepted possibility that we or our loved ones get our head's blown off when we to school or to a movie.  When that happens it is a lot bigger shock, there is more of a knee jerk reaction, and you can't blame people for wanting answers and wanting to stop that from happening. 

Ban back yard pools!

BowieMercs said:
I own several of these "evil" things. 2 of them have 20" long heavy barrels, one is chambered for 5.56 (AR-15) and the other .308 (AR-10).  Both have fixed stocks. The .308 is not considered an assault weapon by the state of Maryland because I took off the muzzle brake (keeps the muzzle from jumping when fired) because it directs the blast &sound across the firing line... the thing is LOUD. Taking the muzzle brake off the AR-15 would not change it's classification. :derp:

I use them for bench (target) shooting, so  I use 10 round magazines (also legal in MD... I shoot in VA & MD) that won't get in the way of the bench.

I tend to shoot my semi automatic rifles more than my bolt action rifles since the semi-autos are gas operated which DRAMATICALLY reduces recoil. My old man shoulders greatly appreciate this. 
Don't know if this has been mentioned earlier, as I have not read the entire thread (don't plan to either ;) )...but other than Bowie here, where he uses the term "assault weapon", has there been any other distinctions made between true assault rifles and the "so-called" assault weapon.

From my short perusal, I have seen a bit of miscommunication on this issue.  I believe this distinction makes a big difference. :shrug:

No shtick, the answers below are what we've gotten so far, fun on multiple occasions. 

Good read here - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lupica-latest-tragedy-lesson-commit-mass-murder-article-1.2672347

These things should be banned, they have zero use to the general public (outside of mass murder) in the 21st century.

Can someone explain to me why I'm wrong without the words 2nd amendment, big brother, my guns involved in the response? 

What purpose do these have?

Adding reasons here, a lot of good ones so far:

1) They're fun

2) They're legal

3) Coyotes

4) Bears

5) Multiple people breaking into your house, possibly aliens too?

6) Hunting a Tyrannosaurus Rex 

7) Zombies

8) Wanger size
So you think the number of murders would decrease if ARs were banned?  They're not assault rifles. Those are only used in the military. 

You're asking others to give a reason to have them when you want them banned and aren't giving a reason yourself. 

Otis said:
Oh goodie!  The "cars are like guns" gambit!  Love this one. 

Step 1:  Cars are not designed to kill people; they are designed to transport people. When people die from cars, it's an unfortunate, unintended consequence of cars (things that have massive social and economic utility)  

Step 2: Assault rifles are designed strictly for killing people; I can't ride anywhere on my assault rifle.  

Step 3:  Assault rifles != cars.

yay!
Step 4: Cars are also incredibly heavily regulated by the Federal Government. But for some reason gun nuts conveniently forget this aspect when they pull out the stale "cars=guns" shtick.

Don't know if this has been mentioned earlier, as I have not read the entire thread (don't plan to either ;) )...but other than Bowie here, where he uses the term "assault weapon", has there been any other distinctions made between true assault rifles and the "so-called" assault weapon.

From my short perusal, I have seen a bit of miscommunication on this issue.  I believe this distinction makes a big difference. :shrug:
Assault weapon is a term that was made up and promulgated by opponents of civilian ownership of magazine-fed semi-automatic rifles. It is a term that was meant to establish the notion that civilians can buy assault rifles, when they generally can't, except in rare (and heavily regulated) cases. 

The actual definition of "assault weapon" that was utilized in the 1994 legislation was utterly nonsensical. Which was one of several reasons that law made no measurable difference in crime.

How many people are killed each year with an AR when compared to other guns? 
Rifles account for 3-5% of total gun homicides, but that includes all rifles (magazine fed semi-automatics, other semi-automatics, bolt action rifles, lever action rifles, muzzle loaders, etc),

Step 4: Cars are also incredibly heavily regulated by the Federal Government. But for some reason gun nuts conveniently forget this aspect when they pull out the stale "cars=guns" shtick.
Cars = Guns is a bad argument. Which I guess is one of the reasons so many advocates for gun control like to argue against it, rather than attempting to address the bigger holes in their logic.

Assault weapon is a term that was made up and promulgated by opponents of civilian ownership of magazine-fed semi-automatic rifles. It is a term that was meant to establish the notion that civilians can buy assault rifles, when they generally can't, except in rare (and heavily regulated) cases. 

The actual definition of "assault weapon" that was utilized in the 1994 legislation was utterly nonsensical. Which was one of several reasons that law made no measurable difference in crime.
Exactly RL. Well explained.  Thank you.  :thumbup:

In the small portion of this thread that I have read, this distinction seems to be fuzzy at times.

Cars = Guns is a bad argument. Which I guess is one of the reasons so many advocates for gun control like to argue against it, rather than attempting to address the bigger holes in their logic.
It is seldom the gun control advocates who bring up the cars = guns argument.

To answer the OP question, you need, hence the OP question, you NEED an assult rifle for war.  No one else will tell you another legitimate NEED.  

I guess I didn't realize guns weren't regulated by the Federal Government already.

It is seldom the gun control advocates who bring up the cars = guns argument.
Nobody has even mentioned the "cars = guns" argument except you and Otis. I have argued against framing an argument, "If a stupid person can harm people with it, then we should ban it" argument. Where exactly does this stop? Cars are one item but certainly not the only item stupid people might hurt people with. Steak knives? Waffle maker? Chainsaw? Don't most injuries happen within the home? I guess a dryer is a deadly weapon if you are sitting in the bathtub. Do we really HAVE to have hair dryers?

To me this anti-gun hysteria is a result of people that have no interest in owning a gun that want to make the great sacrifice of not allowing law abiding citizens that want one to have it. If it saved more actual lives by making roads safer to ban SUV's I doubt many people would support it because a bunch of people would actually had to give up something they want. If someone really wanted to save lives in the US and cared about public safety they would spend a lot more time trying to ban all foods that had refined sugar in them. But most people would actually have to give something up that they like so that's certainly a no-go. Why are lives lost in gun fatalities worth more than lives lost to traffic accidents or to heart disease. Fat lives matter. When some nut walks into a Krispy Kreme and shoots a dozen people it will be on CNN for the next three days. The ironic thing is the Krispy Kreme probably contributed to killing an order of magnitude more people than the insane gunman was. It's like people can't see the forrest for the trees. If you want to get up over public safety why not aim for the stuff that kills folks a whole lot more than guns?

And yes, if you are a myopic simpleton you have my permission to distill all this down into, "Oh, so now you are saying guns=sugar!?". Fine. 

Agreed. The term "Assault weapon" AKA "scary black gun" is a fabrication. Pistol grips, flash hiders/muzzle brakes & adjustable stocks look intimidating to some people. "Legal Rifle" is not so scary & won't advance the anti agenda.

I hope the Hearing Protection Act goes through. BATFE has been swamped processing the forms to register suppressors for years This would save time, money and hearing. It would be nice to not have to use redundant hearing protection (ear plugs AND earmuff ) while shooting at indoor ranges.

I hope the Hearing Protection Act goes through. BATFE has been swamped processing the forms to register suppressors for years This would save time, money and hearing. It would be nice to not have to use redundant hearing protection (ear plugs AND earmuff ) while shooting at indoor ranges.
Do you have any vids that show the actual level of sound suppression...

...b4 someone lniks to a Bond film and claims it is scientifically accurate? ;)

Agreed. The term "Assault weapon" AKA "scary black gun" is a fabrication. Pistol grips, flash hiders/muzzle brakes & adjustable stocks look intimidating to some people. "Legal Rifle" is not so scary & won't advance the anti agenda.
When one's training and knowledge of firearms is based upon them having watched the Matrix 27 times, and Lethal Weapon 40 times you ae going to get some bad attempts at legislation.  When you then allow women to join your legislative coalition and to re-write your Bill based upon their even more extensive experience of being touched once by a news story they do not completely recall, well it is going to get worse.

That said maybe it is prudent to take away my Constitutional rights and the rights of others as well.  Maybe the 2nd amendment no longer serves its purpose.  The thing is, if you are going to do so first off don't be an ignoramus on the subject matter, and second don't be hiding your motives.  Don't come at it incrementally through legislation.  That is not how the Constitution is changed.  All you do then is undermine the rule of law and miss-educate idiots.  If you have a case step forward and make it.

My hearing is shot.

Users who are viewing this thread