What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (1 Viewer)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
If the government came and said we are cutting you down to a revolver, a bolt action, and a shotgun I would be generally ok with it.  

There have been at most 2 times I've ever needed the semi auto for any real practical purpose and even those were debateable.  

I'm fine with the dead end. The 2nd Amendment has passed its time. I don't care about any of your reasons for keeping it. And even if it doesn't mean every gun is gone. It sure as hell will cut down on the number that go out to the crazies in the future.
Hardly a settled matter. 

Or should I just respond with :lmao:   ?

I don't think society is about to collapse, but I'm prepared to protect my family in the event of loss of services and civil unrest in the event of a disaster (ie new madrid fault 100 year quake hitting). 

I don't think my house is going to be destroyed by a tornado, but I have an insurance policy for that, too. 

Again... if you are confident in the ability of government and law enforcement to keep you safe in the event of natural disaster, that's cool. I am not telling you you can't settle for that as something that gives you peace of mind. You do you. I'll do me. Everyone's happy :thumbup:  
Except for the ones thst believe your arsenal is a threat, or an opportunity

I'm fine with the dead end. The 2nd Amendment has passed its time. I don't care about any of your reasons for keeping it. And even if it doesn't mean every gun is gone. It sure as hell will cut down on the number that go out to the crazies in the future.
I can entertain many arguments that the second amendment is anachronistic in this day and age.  I am very willing to discuss its repeal or replacement.  what I cannot support, and this does not go to your argument but to that of others frequently made, is that we should have the Courts interpret it away, or congress legislate it away. 
There is a process for amending the Constitution.  I want that followed.  I prefer rule of law over sophistries.

I can entertain many arguments that the second amendment is anachronistic in this day and age.  I am very willing to discuss its repeal or replacement.  what I cannot support, and this does not go to your argument but to that of others frequently made, is that we should have the Courts interpret it away, or congress legislate it away. 
There is a process for amending the Constitution.  I want that followed.  I prefer rule of law over sophistries.
How would you amend it?

Maybe I've asked this in this thread already.  If they were required to be colored pink, would as many be sold?

I mean, the color doesn't affect the function of the weapon.
Nor would it affect the thing I thought we were trying to stop here. 

If your agenda is to verbally attack and mock those who choose to own guns. You're exposing yourself as someone who doesn't actually care about the senseless tragedy... but are simply concerned with punitive measures against those who think differently than you. IMO we should probably focus on the direct causes of these senseless tragedies. 

I have no problem with that.

You can do what you want. But the status quo isn't working.
I am less confident than you that ridding a violent and sick society of guns will reduce violence.  Tool users will find other very effective tools.  That said, maybe our national fascination with gunplay has desensitized us, so perhaps it will be more effective than I anticipate.

Again, that is your opinion. I respect your right to have it. 

You can do what you want. But the status quo isn't working.
This is highly subjective and depends on what you are referring to.  I'd assume you are referring to the recent event, but I can't really be sure.

However, yesterday's events are the sad consequence of increased freedom in multiple ways.  There are many things our government could have done to stop this shooting.  I think all of them are too great a price to pay to guaranty something like this never happens.  It's a horrible tragedy and I wish it didn't have to happen, but I'd rather not live with a constant eye in the sky or an unchecked government watching, controlling or manipulating the details of our lives.  Guns are a part of that, IMO.

I'd rock this in a pinch. Beats strong words, fist waiving and a 8" chef's knife. 
If I had that weapon in a societal collapse situation I would eliminate the pink.  The color draws attention and would compromise your cover.  Easy enough to do though with spray paint and a bit of burlap.  Would I buy that or use it if the law required that color, sure, if I thought I needed that weapon the color would be no impediment.  In fact I believe several NFL players tried to pick those up for breast cancer month.

Because sports cars aren’t designed for murdering large amounts of people as quickly and efficiently as possible?

This is actually way easier than you guys make it out to be. 
So, an assault rifle by itself murders people? That's like saying a pack of cigarettes sitting on the table gives people lung cancer. There are millions of guns in this country. The question was, why do we need one that shoots 50 rounds as quickly as possible? The fact that there aren't millions of mass shootings every day just proves that the gun isn't the problem. 

So, an assault rifle by itself murders people? That's like saying a pack of cigarettes sitting on the table gives people lung cancer. There are millions of guns in this country. The question was, why do we need one that shoots 50 rounds as quickly as possible? The fact that there aren't millions of mass shootings every day just proves that the gun isn't the problem. 
I know 58 people who'd beg to differ today.

There's a reason burglars usually head next door when they hear a dog barking. I don't have to be a hard target... I just have to be harder than your house next door. 
Yeah and an ADT sign usually does the trick as well.  They also go without the greatly increased risk of death to you and your family that owning a gun creates - https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2012/12/health-risk-having-gun-home

I wish people would get away from the line that guns make you safer.  A damn Dog and a 20 dollar sign of amazon actually do that.    

Good. Smoke up. Not the issue being discussed here.
I was making parallels to other things we have in this country that kill people. Fast cars, cigarettes, unhealthy foods. It takes human interaction, usually in excess to make these things deadly. Assault rifles are no different. 

I was making parallels to other things we have in this country that kill people. Fast cars, cigarettes, unhealthy foods. It takes human interaction, usually in excess to make these things deadly. Assault rifles are no different. 
They aren't equivalent. So no reason to discuss them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting until we get a death toll of 1,000 in a single event. Then it will maybe be time to take action. Until then, warmest condolences to all the victims.

Why do you want to ban assault rifles?
Exactly the same reason I don't like people having access-to, or carrying, or enjoying sports competitions based on grenades or RPGs.

*for the record - I am pro 2nd amendment. Just as I believe in God.  ***But its very easy to play devils advocate against such things from a logical fact-based standpoint.

People can simply walk away from other smokers.  Not true of guns.
This is true. I still think the problem lies with people, not guns. If the desire is there to kill a large number of people, they will find a way. 

The thread asks why does someone need an assault rifle. There are millions of assault rifles in this country and very few of them are used for mass murders. 

There are more guns than people in this country.  If they are banned are they just supposed to disappear?  Why can’t they order them off of the internet?  Or get them across the border like drugs?  What prevents a 3D printer from making guns? You can’t wave the magical wand of a ban and expect to solve the problem, it’s very complicated.  People have to see through their political glasses and actually use their brain to make progress, which is why we will be in this same situation 20 years from now.

This is true. I still think the problem lies with people, not guns. If the desire is there to kill a large number of people, they will find a way. 

The thread asks why does someone need an assault rifle. There are millions of assault rifles in this country and very few of them are used for mass murders. 
Guns change people.  I see it all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread