What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (4 Viewers)

Local store has Barton's for MSRP $60 - worth it or does someone have a "value" recommendation?

You mean Blanton's?  The spherical bottle with the little horse on top?  

There is a distillery called Barton but I don't think they have a product in regular distribution called Barton's.  These days they are trying to market everything around 1792 it seems.
Yes, I mean Blantons. Worth the money?

I even googled Barton's Bourbon to check the name and "Barton 1792 Distillery" came up...  I'll look closer next time.

Local store has Barton's for MSRP $60 - worth it or does someone have a "value" recommendation?

If it's "Blanton's" I can get it for aroun $50 and cheaper when I'm in Louisiana or Florida.  John Wick approves.

$60 is on the higher end of reasonable but not terrible for Blanton's.  It is hard to find in some areas.  I know some TX bars that would buy as much as you could send them at $60.

Had this conversation at a local restaurant... Hope I didn't come across like a Bourbon Snob.

My son orders a Jim Beam and sprite.  The waitress says, "Sorry, we don't have Jim Beam."  My son who thinks he somehow grew up "country" and thinks that he needs to wear work boots all the time and drink Jim Beam, his eyes get all big like What???".. Here was how the rest of the conversation went...

TD:  "You have other bourbons though right?"

SERVER: "Sure."

TD: "Do you have Bulleit Bourbon?"

SERVER: "Yes.  We have Bulleit Rye Bourbon."

TD: "Um. That is two different things.  So you have Bulleit Rye?"

SERVER: "I KNOW.  We have Bulleit Rye Bourbon.  It's Bourbon."

TD: "Well, actually.. Rye and Bourbon are two different things.  The mash is different.  One has more corn and the other, well... it's in the name, it has more rye."

SERVER: "Yeah.  I know.  It's rye bourbon."

TD:  :confused:

SERVER: "We do have Buffalo Trace"

TD: "Get that.  He's throwing it in sprite anyway, so it doesn't really matter, but Buffalo Trace is pretty good.  Besides, friends don't let friends drink Jim and Jack."

The last line obviously was joking around.  She was really confusing me though.  I know I'm new to the bourbon snob circle, but I thought I was correct. 

Cincinnati. I'm about 20 minutes from northern Ky and if I venture across the river have a pretty good shot but SW Ohio isn't great for finding it.
I kinda disagree with this.  I live in Northern KY and I found Eagle Rare once in the past 10 visits or so.

Had this conversation at a local restaurant... Hope I didn't come across like a Bourbon Snob.

My son orders a Jim Beam and sprite.  The waitress says, "Sorry, we don't have Jim Beam."  My son who thinks he somehow grew up "country" and thinks that he needs to wear work boots all the time and drink Jim Beam, his eyes get all big like What???".. Here was how the rest of the conversation went...

TD: "Well, actually.. Rye and Bourbon are two different things.  The mash is different.  One has more corn and the other, well... it's in the name, it has more rye."

TD: "Get that.  He's throwing it in sprite anyway, so it doesn't really matter, but Buffalo Trace is pretty good.  Besides, friends don't let friends drink Jim and Jack."

The last line obviously was joking around.  She was really confusing me though.  I know I'm new to the bourbon snob circle, but I thought I was correct. 
I'm not sure I would argue the difference between a Rye and a Bourbon with a waitress. It won't lead to anything good and might result in you getting drink that she spit in. 

I kinda disagree with this.  I live in Northern KY and I found Eagle Rare once in the past 10 visits or so.
I did notice the last 2 visits to my local store they had no Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace on the shelf.  Hope it is not a sign of things to come.

Not worth the effort - if it was a bartender, maybe. Just make sure your son knows the difference, but the waitress, meh.

$60 is on the higher end of reasonable but not terrible for Blanton's.  It is hard to find in some areas.  I know some TX bars that would buy as much as you could send them at $60.
Thanks.  I'm going to shop around on this one.  See if I can find it for $50. 

Neat? Water? Ice?

I've always preferred Scotch neat.  Oban is my personal favorite Scotch.  I drink Tequila the same way.  I would recommend Fortaleza Blanco or Ilegal Mezcal (smokey), if you're so inclined.

So, how do you like your Bourbon?  To be blunt, I'm reluctant to add anything to it.  Am I missing out on something?

Neat? Water? Ice?

I've always preferred Scotch neat.  Oban is my personal favorite Scotch.  I drink Tequila the same way.  I would recommend Fortaleza Blanco or Ilegal Mezcal (smokey), if you're so inclined.

So, how do you like your Bourbon?  To be blunt, I'm reluctant to add anything to it.  Am I missing out on something?
Try it all three ways and see what works for you! If you’re already comfortable drinking neat then you’ll likely prefer Bourbon that way as well, but Bourbon DOES tend to be a bit stronger vs scotch’s more delicate profile. 

I’m a neat guy most of the time, as well. 

Yeah...her name was "Jingles"... so arguing about rye vs bourbon was probably a waste of time. 
Lol yah, it’s frustrating when you hear bad info but sometimes folks just wont understand. I’ve had bartenders tell me all sorts of crazy #### and I’ll generally just ignore it. 

[icon] said:
Try it all three ways and see what works for you! If you’re already comfortable drinking neat then you’ll likely prefer Bourbon that way as well, but Bourbon DOES tend to be a bit stronger vs scotch’s more delicate profile. 

I’m a neat guy most of the time, as well. 
Really?  I'm surprised to read that, I find on the rocks best and I've read often that on the rocks helps release flavor profiles that may be missed drinking it straight.

My wife bought me a 4 pack of those ice ball molds and l love using them with my bourbon.

"Is the label on the bottle green or orange?" would have settled things, no?

Really?  I'm surprised to read that, I find on the rocks best and I've read often that on the rocks helps release flavor profiles that may be missed drinking it straight.

My wife bought me a 4 pack of those ice ball molds and l love using them with my bourbon.
I'm the same way, but I'm a bit of a noob here. Also, I like the 2 inch cubes myself. 

It's 10000% a preference thing, and buy no means is saying this suggesting that drinking it with ice is bad/wrong. It's not. Some whiskeys I find best over ice as well. That said here's a quick rundown of my thoughts and what I've read on the matter:

NEAT: Taste the spirit as the distiller/bottler intended. At room temp, all flavors are out in full force.

WATER: Adding a bit of water can push some of the alcohol to the background, and allow more subtle/delicate flavors to come forward. Water should be room temp or slightly chilled, and added slowly until you reach the desired proof. This can be exceptionally useful for higher proof whiskeys, but is generally not advised for whiskeys already proofed down to 80ish range. 

ICE: Another method to proof own whiskey to allow more subtle flavors to come through, however also chills the drink. This can be helpful in hotter climates, but chilling a beverage tends to mute the flavor profile overall as cold numbs/diminishes the taste buds ability to detect flavor. 

ICE: Another method to proof own whiskey to allow more subtle flavors to come through, however also chills the drink. This can be helpful in hotter climates, but chilling a beverage tends to mute the flavor profile overall as cold numbs/diminishes the taste buds ability to detect flavor. 
Seems to be a bit of debate of this point, some state just the opposite

From a Buffalo Trace representative

"What I’ve discovered is that I thoroughly love Eagle Rare chilled and I pour it over ice. Dependent upon my mood, I’ll drink it just on the rocks. The inside of your mouth is 93 degrees and whenever you put something into your mouth, like a chilled drink, it drops the temperature of the inside of your mouth and the heart immediately starts pumping blood to your tongue. It’s call the lingual artery. And what it’s doing is it’s warming the mouth back up again and at the same time the body reacts by flooding your mouth with enzymes. And you don’t really taste anything until the enzymes start to break it down. But the cool part is if [the drink is] cooler, it gradually warms up the inside of your mouth, so you get a chance to taste more of the subtle nuances in the whiskey. The palette’s just not overwhelmed all at once with it coming in, boom, right in your face. And by doing it this way, you can roll it around on your tongue, you get all kind of caramelized toffee notes. And they don’t flood your mouth, they just gradually reveal themselves to you and it’ll actually make your mouth water.”

Seems to be a bit of debate of this point, some state just the opposite

From a Buffalo Trace representative

"What I’ve discovered is that I thoroughly love Eagle Rare chilled and I pour it over ice. Dependent upon my mood, I’ll drink it just on the rocks. The inside of your mouth is 93 degrees and whenever you put something into your mouth, like a chilled drink, it drops the temperature of the inside of your mouth and the heart immediately starts pumping blood to your tongue. It’s call the lingual artery. And what it’s doing is it’s warming the mouth back up again and at the same time the body reacts by flooding your mouth with enzymes. And you don’t really taste anything until the enzymes start to break it down. But the cool part is if [the drink is] cooler, it gradually warms up the inside of your mouth, so you get a chance to taste more of the subtle nuances in the whiskey. The palette’s just not overwhelmed all at once with it coming in, boom, right in your face. And by doing it this way, you can roll it around on your tongue, you get all kind of caramelized toffee notes. And they don’t flood your mouth, they just gradually reveal themselves to you and it’ll actually make your mouth water.”
I see that's from an unnamed Buffalo Trace tour guide. it's not something I've experienced, but it's an Interesting perspective.

The problem is, cold actually has the opposite "blood flow" effect that person claims... per NIH: "On exposure to cold there is a marked increase in the affinity of the post-junctional alpha-adrenoceptors for norepinephrine. This results in a powerful constriction of the blood vessels and a cessation of blood flow to the distal tissue."

It does appear that presence of colder temps does increase the output of saliva, but I'm not sure how long you'd need to hold the whiskey in your mouth for the amalayse in the saliva to do what they claim... and if it would overcome the overall dilution effect of the saliva itself.

All that said, the marked decrease in the ability of the taste buds to detect subtle flavors at lower temps offsets any benefit... for me personally. 

It's fun to look at the science behind it, but in the end it just comes down to how you personally like your whiskey. There's no real wrong way to drink it (unless you're mixing high end stuff so thin that you can't taste it.. then you're just wasting money :D  ) :thumbup:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that's from an unnamed Buffalo Trace tour guide. it's not something I've experienced, but it's an Interesting perspective.

The problem is, cold actually has the opposite "blood flow" effect that person claims... per NIH: "On exposure to cold there is a marked increase in the affinity of the post-junctional alpha-adrenoceptors for norepinephrine. This results in a powerful constriction of the blood vessels and a cessation of blood flow to the distal tissue."

It does appear that presence of colder temps does increase the output of saliva, but I'm not sure how long you'd need to hold the whiskey in your mouth for the amalayse in the saliva to do what they claim... and if it would overcome the overall dilution effect of the saliva itself.

All that said, the marked decrease in the ability of the taste buds to detect subtle flavors at lower temps offsets any benefit... for me personally. 

It's fun to look at the science behind it, but in the end it just comes down to how you personally like your whiskey. There's no real wrong way to drink it (unless you're mixing high end stuff so thin that you can't taste it.. then you're just wasting money :D  ) :thumbup:  
There's a reason why Coors advertises their beer as being "cold." The colder it is, the less you can taste it.

Agreed, how you like it is how you like it, just thought it was a decent read

Agreed, how you like it is how you like it, just thought it was a decent read
Truth. I Had never heard that and it's interesting to note the increase in saliva/enzyme production as a reaction to cold. Very cool and didn't know that. 

Heaven Hill 6yr BIB is one of the bourbons I enjoy neat but LOVE over a rock. It benefits tremendously, IMO. It's funny how the preference works... even bottle to bottle. It's fun to explore.  :thumbup:  

I just got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017M6P3V0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works amazingly well and turns out four crystal clear ice balls. Super easy and I highly recommend.
I use these:  https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Sphere-Ice-Molds-Set/dp/B007ACTN54/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&srs=12034488011&ie=UTF8&qid=1516300024&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ice+balls

Maybe it isn't as good, but it is much much cheaper.  Looks good to me, better than many bars.

Just got invited to a private dinner held at a restaurant I frequent.  Menu:

Hot Chicken Slider appetizer

Voodoo Prawn Cesar

Blackened Bistro Steak, oven roasted cauliflower

Kentucky Bread Pudding, Buffalo Trace bourbon sauce

Fieldwork Limited Release

Rip Van Winkle 10yr

Rip Van Winkle 12yr

Pappy Van Winkle 15yr

Pappy Van Winkle 20yr

Pappy Van Winkle 23yr

#lookatme

This seems like the next guy thing I should become knowledgeable on.  Was looking at this thread when I had to buy bourbon for a gift exchange for my brother in law who got really into it after moving to Georgia.  Problem is I couldn't get into whisky or bourbon after having to drink lots of Old Crow in college.  Our fraternity was AXP, Alpha Chi Rho, "Crow", get it?  Its been 20 years so hopefully I'm over it at this point.

What's a good way to get started and sample and figure out differences and what I like without just buying lots of bourbon?  I'll look around for a bourbon sampling here but is there anything you can get online?  Cut it with water at first and step it up from there?  Need to get away from my Ralph Wiggum "it tastes like burning" phase.  TIA

Damn, just missed this...

There's a new Bourbon Fest in town

This seems like the next guy thing I should become knowledgeable on.  Was looking at this thread when I had to buy bourbon for a gift exchange for my brother in law who got really into it after moving to Georgia.  Problem is I couldn't get into whisky or bourbon after having to drink lots of Old Crow in college.  Our fraternity was AXP, Alpha Chi Rho, "Crow", get it?  Its been 20 years so hopefully I'm over it at this point.

What's a good way to get started and sample and figure out differences and what I like without just buying lots of bourbon?  I'll look around for a bourbon sampling here but is there anything you can get online?  Cut it with water at first and step it up from there?  Need to get away from my Ralph Wiggum "it tastes like burning" phase.  TIA

Damn, just missed this...

There's a new Bourbon Fest in town
Definitely try to sample stuff at bars or festivals to get a feel for what you like. 

If the heat/flavor is a bit much for you, but you're wanting to adjust your palate to drinking it neat or on rocks, there are several approaches. Here are a couple: 

1)  Start with a good basic bourbon that's mild in profile (like Eagle Rare, Makers Mark, or Woodford Reserve) and try them on the rocks. Let it dilute down a bit until it's easy enough for you to drink. If you find it going too far, pull the cube of ice to stop dilution. Once it gets too watery it tastes terrible. 

2) Start with any of the above, or even something basic like Evan Williams or Jim Beam Black, and mix it 50/50 with coke. If that's too much, add a splash more coke until you can handle it. Gradually increase the proof over time until you get to the point you're comfortable at Bourbon on the rocks with a nice splash of coke. By then your palate is familiar enough with the flavor profile of bourbon to move to the above (on the rocks) or just try something like the brands in #1 above neat or with a splash of water. 

I'm sure others have ideas on how to proceed as well, but I've suggested these in the past and they've worked for some. 

Definitely try to sample stuff at bars or festivals to get a feel for what you like. 

If the heat/flavor is a bit much for you, but you're wanting to adjust your palate to drinking it neat or on rocks, there are several approaches. Here are a couple: 

1)  Start with a good basic bourbon that's mild in profile (like Eagle Rare, Makers Mark, or Woodford Reserve) and try them on the rocks. Let it dilute down a bit until it's easy enough for you to drink. If you find it going too far, pull the cube of ice to stop dilution. Once it gets too watery it tastes terrible. 

2) Start with any of the above, or even something basic like Evan Williams or Jim Beam Black, and mix it 50/50 with coke. If that's too much, add a splash more coke until you can handle it. Gradually increase the proof over time until you get to the point you're comfortable at Bourbon on the rocks with a nice splash of coke. By then your palate is familiar enough with the flavor profile of bourbon to move to the above (on the rocks) or just try something like the brands in #1 above neat or with a splash of water. 

I'm sure others have ideas on how to proceed as well, but I've suggested these in the past and they've worked for some. 
Pretty much describes my evolution, started with middle of the road bourbons mixed with coke, not quite 50/50, gradually moved to less and less coke till I was at a splash and then just tried a mired of $50  or less bottles till I found what I liked and from there moved to on the rocks and sampling bottles I'd read about.

Pretty much describes my evolution, started with middle of the road bourbons mixed with coke, not quite 50/50, gradually moved to less and less coke till I was at a splash and then just tried a mired of $50  or less bottles till I found what I liked and from there moved to on the rocks and sampling bottles I'd read about.
Me too, GB! :)  

Have a nice little bourbon hangover this morning.  My buddy was giving me 4 finger pours of Larceny...I enjoyed it though.

Picked up some "Black Saddle Bourbon" for $45.  It was an impulse buy based on the in-store write-up.  The 12 year old bourbon earned "the Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2014, where it was named the Best Small Batch Bourbon.".  I like it.  It finishes with a taste of pepper spice. Recommended.

Went to a Van Winkle tasting this week with my brother.  Was given a healthy pour of 10 yr Van Winkle, 12, yr Van Winkle, 15 yr Pappy, and EH Taylor Rye.  I have a bottle of the EH Taylor at home, so that was nothing new.  I was excited to try the Van Winkle line.  Here was my impressions:

10 yr - Good, but honestly nothing special. Tasted very much like all the other higher end bourbons I've had.  

12 yr - I was shocked at how much smoother the 12 yr was over the 10 yr.  Definitely a huge difference between the two.

15 yr - Awesome.  Not as big of a jump as going from the 10 to the 12, but I was impressed.

I had an opportunity to buy a 10yr last summer and turned it down because it was at aftermarket price. I'm glad I did.  I would have been pissed had I paid that much for it.  Not because it was bad, but not worth the money.

Appears the Weller 12 y/o is a ghost.  Settled for the Weller Special Reserve at $25.  Still unopened.
Special Reserve is very highly rated.   A bar tender told me it is the Pappy that does not make the Pappy cut.  Not sure if he knew what he was talking about but he sounded the part.

Should i make a google doc with a list and where folks can add bottles and add their ratings to existing bottles?

Edit: Maybe something like this? 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K8mvLPB5VsxOuTg0FYF0oh1EyLTOIl8rUBFJTE_tr30/edit?usp=sharing
Just wanted to say thanks again for this doc. Since then I've picked up Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna, and just got the only bottle of Buffalo Trace that I've seen at my liquor store. I've also stashed Bulleit Rye, Knob Creek Rye, and 1792 at my office for when I'm working late and want to relax while I burn the midnight oil. It really is a lot of fun trying these out  :thumbup:

Went to a Van Winkle tasting this week with my brother.  Was given a healthy pour of 10 yr Van Winkle, 12, yr Van Winkle, 15 yr Pappy, and EH Taylor Rye.  I have a bottle of the EH Taylor at home, so that was nothing new.  I was excited to try the Van Winkle line.  Here was my impressions:

10 yr - Good, but honestly nothing special. Tasted very much like all the other higher end bourbons I've had.  

12 yr - I was shocked at how much smoother the 12 yr was over the 10 yr.  Definitely a huge difference between the two.

15 yr - Awesome.  Not as big of a jump as going from the 10 to the 12, but I was impressed.

I had an opportunity to buy a 10yr last summer and turned it down because it was at aftermarket price. I'm glad I did.  I would have been pissed had I paid that much for it.  Not because it was bad, but not worth the money.
Very cool! :thumbup:  

I would agree 1000% that ORVW 10yr is not worth anywhere near secondary ($350). It's essentially Old Weller Antique aged 3 more years. Same whiskey, same proof (107 proof).  The 12yr has 2 more years of age, but is also bottled at 90 proof vs 107 proof, which likely accounts for the lions share of the difference in smoothness. Agreed it's a surprising difference side to side. 

The 15yr is IMO the sweet spot of the lineup... with 15yrs of age and yet bottled at 107 proof. Sadly at $900 secondary it's out of reach for most. Definitely NOT worth that price. Glad you got to sample it :thumbup:  

Just wanted to say thanks again for this doc. Since then I've picked up Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna, and just got the only bottle of Buffalo Trace that I've seen at my liquor store. I've also stashed Bulleit Rye, Knob Creek Rye, and 1792 at my office for when I'm working late and want to relax while I burn the midnight oil. It really is a lot of fun trying these out  :thumbup:
My pleasure.. my intent was for it to be a starting point with others submitting ratings and adding bottles. It's certainly NOT intended to be considered gospel as my palate isn't anything to write home about and preferences vary greatly. :)  

What is up with Blanton's? Can't find it anywhere now.
In a world where tons of crappy whiskey is hitting the market at $75..100....and up, People have figured out that Blantons is remarkably good whiskey at $60. 

Anybody familiar with whiskeys being made from "Jimmy Red" corn? (like this or this)?

Saw it mentioned in a friends FB post over the weekend.  Apparently a near-extinct corn variety resurrected and now being made into booze.

What is up with Blanton's? Can't find it anywhere now.
Try the duty-free shop at the airport (if you fly much or ask someone who does to grab a bottle or 2)

I can never find it - get occasional email stating when it will be released but have to be there 20 minutes prior to open to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread