What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

This thread got me motivated to visit my local liquor store that has the best selection. Left with a bottle of Eagle Rare and a sample bottle of Larceny. They had a bottle of Stagg at the register for $99 but I didn’t get the particulars. They had lots of old forester but wasn’t sure what to go with. Was also torn between the single barrel four roses and one other but I forgot it’s name. They had an 18 year lock stock and barrel for 239 :no:

That's a good bottle at a fair price.  I prefer the Small Batch over the higher priced Single Barrel. 
:thumbup:  We are on the same page on this one. $30ish and easy to find vs $70ish and getting hard to find. Not to mention I'm not sure I could pick out the SiB over the SB blind? Easy choice. 

This thread got me motivated to visit my local liquor store that has the best selection. Left with a bottle of Eagle Rare and a sample bottle of Larceny. They had a bottle of Stagg at the register for $99 but I didn’t get the particulars. They had lots of old forester but wasn’t sure what to go with. Was also torn between the single barrel four roses and one other but I forgot it’s name. They had an 18 year lock stock and barrel for 239 :no:
IF they had the George T Stagg for $100, go back and buy it.. Now. Hell, I'll give you double your money for it after you've opened it and tasted it. 

If it's the Stagg Jr.... don't waste your money at $99. 

Got mine tonight.  They all tasted the same after I shot the first 2 bottles.   

Just kidding! I sampled 1-3. Will sample 4-5 tomorrow.  Thanks again Icon!

Spent last night enjoying some Orphan Barrel Rhetoric with a friend.  I knew it was good when I was drinking it but didn't know it was 23 years old until I got home and googled it.

As if that wasn't generous enough he gave me a bottle of Basil Hayden for Christmas.  :thumbup:

Holy #### these whiskeys taste good.
That makes me happy, Gb. I tried to find a balance between expected heavy hitters and perhaps a twist or two of some of my favorite bottles for both sides of the sampling.

Two results of 11 are in for the surveys. I think they are going to surprise some folks. Stay tuned. 

In any event, at the very least this will be an annual event. Hopefully more. I’m really enjoying sharing this whiskey with you guys, and the resulting feedback. 

Hey randomly if any of you are Lousville area, my fiance and I are visiting for a few days over the holidays and have some free time if there are any recommended places! We're looking at the bourbon trail obviously. 

My friend who started Angel's Envy and This is Stolen is partnering with Bob Dylan on a bourbon and whiskey brand called Heaven's Door.  I've tried some and it's very good.

FWIW, he thinks craft beer is in the 8th inning and craft whiskey is in the 2nd inning.

2 of 5 scored tonight.  

Did you number them the same for everyone? If so, I'll refrain from any comments so as not to influence anyone else.

2 of 5 scored tonight.  

Did you number them the same for everyone? If so, I'll refrain from any comments so as not to influence anyone else.
Yep the numbering is consistent in the groups so let’s avoid specific commentary until all samples are graded if that’s cool :)  Enjoy! 

That makes me happy, Gb. I tried to find a balance between expected heavy hitters and perhaps a twist or two of some of my favorite bottles for both sides of the sampling.

Two results of 11 are in for the surveys. I think they are going to surprise some folks. Stay tuned. 

In any event, at the very least this will be an annual event. Hopefully more. I’m really enjoying sharing this whiskey with you guys, and the resulting feedback. 
I'm in if you do it again. I fell right off that stupid wagon like 2 days after you closed this one.

What's the proper method for tasting? Are you supposed to do anything to clear your palette beforehand? Empty vs. full stomach? Better to space them all out over multiple days? Does bourbon need a few drops of water to "open up" like scotch?

From personal experience judging beer competitions - having some water and bread/crackers between samples can help clear the palate. And probably best not to go completely empty stomach, and if you start getting strongly buzzed partway through, it's probably best to save the rest for another time.

I think bourbon can definitely benefit from a bit of water - I think I even read an article to that effect recently.  I usually take a sip neat, and then add a few drops of water especially if it's "hot".

Eta - article

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a bottle of Stagg Jr and Elmer T Lee for Christmas. Very happy!

Also scored for Christmas - bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve from my sister & BIL.  They won a raffle for a chance to buy for ~$80.  :excited:  
Damn.. some VERY nice scores for Bourbonguys this christmas! :thumbup: :banned:  

BOURBON SAMPLE EXPERIMENT UPDATE:
• Bourbon sampler: 4 of 6 responses submitted. 
• Barrel Proof Sampler: 1 of 5 responses submitted (respondent had a buddy join him, so we got 2 data-sets). 

Responses have been fun to read.. and results thus far have been interesting with some surprises. I look forward to sharing the results when everything is in. :thumbup:  

• Barrel Proof Sampler: 1 of 5 responses submitted (respondent had a buddy join him, so we got 2 data-sets). 

Responses have been fun to read.. and results thus far have been interesting with some surprises. I look forward to sharing the results when everything is in. :thumbup:  
Is there going to be a spreadsheet with the results? I would be curious to see what everyone thought.

Is there going to be a spreadsheet with the results? I would be curious to see what everyone thought.
Absolutely. I'll output very detailed results on nose/tasting/overall plus final rankings, tasting notes, etc.

I'll also anonymize them in case anyone's worried about that. 

Absolutely. I'll output very detailed results on nose/tasting/overall plus final rankings, tasting notes, etc.

I'll also anonymize them in case anyone's worried about that. 
I have no problem not having it anonymous. Might be fun to see who thought what.

It was a good Christmas.   Found a bottle of Blantons under the tree and couldn't pass up a bottle of Eagle Rare wondering through the liquor store yesterday evening.  

I have a Yankee Swap with alcohol with a bunch of friends this weekend. Was thinking of maybe getting a good bottle of bourbon for it in the $40-$50 price range. Any recommendations that you think would make a good gift that people would fight for?

Some options I've come across (not a big bourbon guy so more so google research):

Blantons Single Barrel

4 Roses Single Barrel

Hudson Baby

Noahs Mill

Any suggestions/notes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

I have a Yankee Swap with alcohol with a bunch of friends this weekend. Was thinking of maybe getting a good bottle of bourbon for it in the $40-$50 price range. Any recommendations that you think would make a good gift that people would fight for?

Some options I've come across (not a big bourbon guy so more so google research):

Blantons Single Barrel

4 Roses Single Barrel

Hudson Baby

Noahs Mill

Any suggestions/notes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 
Of that group IMO: 

Blantons >>>>>>>>>> 4 Roses Single Barrel >>Noah's Mill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hudson's baby

Some like Hudsons Baby. I'm not a fan at all. 100% corn... only aged 3 months in tiny 3 gallon (vs 53 gallon) barrels...all adds up to a thin, one dimensional flavor profile, IMO. If your goal is something different and "smooth", it can be an option. But IMO Blatons is "smoother", with FAR more complexity... hell far superior in every way... and cheaper. 

Again.. IMO. Everyone's palate is different. :)

Of that group IMO: 

Blantons >>>>>>>>>> 4 Roses Single Barrel >>Noah's Mill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hudson's baby

Some like Hudsons Baby. I'm not a fan at all. 100% corn... only aged 3 months in tiny 3 gallon (vs 53 gallon) barrels...all adds up to a thin, one dimensional flavor profile, IMO. If your goal is something different and "smooth", it can be an option. But IMO Blatons is "smoother", with FAR more complexity... hell far superior in every way... and cheaper. 

Thanks... How does Blantons compare to Russell Reserve Single Barrel? 

Thanks... How does Blantons compare to Russell Reserve Single Barrel? 
My pleasure. IMO Blantons >>> RR. I'm not a huge fan of the Turkey "funk" to their flavor profile. 

For gifts, the premium look/feel of a bottle of Blatons kinda takes it over the top, as well, IMO. 

Of that group IMO: 

I agree on the Hudson’s. That stuff tastes like you’re eating an ear of corn. It has its time and place I suppose, but I’m not a big fan.

You can't beat Blanton's, especially for a gift.  If you can find it and if you can find it in that price range. If you can't find it I would add EH Taylor Small Batch to your list.

Any other potential suggestions not listed in that price range/quality that might be worth a look? Thanks. 
It's all about availability. Bookers is really good- lots of people like the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked as something different. I am a big Eagle Rare fan. 

Lagunitas Brewing (my fave brewery and sponsor of my BBQfest team) did a one-off brewing of Coffee Stout (my Favorite style of beer) that was aged in Willett Rye Barrels (one of my favorite eyes) 

Turns out it was very limited... zero bottles to my half of the state of TN. I reached out to my girl with Lagunitas who is the rep for this part of country... sorry! Held me one bottle from her 12pk. Liquor stores that were lucky enough to get it received one case. 

Challenge accepted: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6lbduzdib537pa/Video Dec 27%2C 7 52 16 PM.mov?dl=0

18 flown in by buddy in DC. 

Happened to be distributed in Tampa the day I landed to visit family... found a store that hadn’t put it on the floor yet. Bought their whole case. 

Have 12-18 more coming in from a buddy in Portland. 

They are VERY good. Nearly 13% ABV. Highly recommend. 

I am an idiot ?

Lagunitas Brewing (my fave brewery and sponsor of my BBQfest team) did a one-off brewing of Coffee Stout (my Favorite style of beer) that was aged in Willett Rye Barrels (one of my favorite eyes) 

Turns out it was very limited... zero bottles to my half of the state of TN. I reached out to my girl with Lagunitas who is the rep for this part of country... sorry! Held me one bottle from her 12pk. Liquor stores that were lucky enough to get it received one case. 

Challenge accepted: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6lbduzdib537pa/Video Dec 27%2C 7 52 16 PM.mov?dl=0

18 flown in by buddy in DC. 

Happened to be distributed in Tampa the day I landed to visit family... found a store that hadn’t put it on the floor yet. Bought their whole case. 

Have 12-18 more coming in from a buddy in Portland. 

They are VERY good. Nearly 13% ABV. Highly recommend. 

I am an idiot ?
Don't feel bad. I still have over two cases of Lagunitas High Westified in my cellar and secured three-plus cases of Willetized, its replacement. (The High Westy is a smidge better. But just a smidge.) Also just traded an ORVW for a Sam Adams Utopias. New Year's Eve shall be tasty.

Don't feel bad. I still have over two cases of Lagunitas High Westified in my cellar and secured three-plus cases of Willetized, its replacement. (The High Westy is a smidge better. But just a smidge.) Also just traded an ORVW for a Sam Adams Utopias. New Year's Eve shall be tasty.
Very nice! Any chance I could trade away a bottle or two of the high west off your hands to try? Would love to A/B one with this year’s edition. 

Bourbon Christmas Update!!!

Ok, so like I said earlier, Louisville holiday with fiance's family. Which meant a lot of bourbon opportunities, since my fiance is also a fan (she's great).

We did tours of Bulleit, Evan Williams (HH), Jim Beam, and Peerless. Learned a ton of cool things about recipes and processes and differences between Bourbons. For instance Bulleit uses twice as much rye as most others in their bourbon!

Many tastings were done, and I must say two single barrels were quite good: Evan Williams and Knkb Creek (they are Jim Beam, which I did not know!). The Bulleit ten year is quite smooth but a little on the sweet caramel-y side, and of the premium stuff we tasted I liked the Evan Williams twelve year the best. It's a little spicy for some.

Peerless was really interesting. They were the biggest Prohibition era distiller, and their fourth generation decided to reopen a few years ago after being mostly #### down for decades. They are 15 months away from their bourbon going out, and I think it will be quite good. They are very small, and kind of a unique personality. We got to try their Rye whiskey, which has been out for a few months now. I'd say they are a bit overpriced, but will taste pretty nice when the time comes.

Oh also if you want to tour Angel's Envy you need an online reservation, typically sold out a week in advance. Everyone else seemed easy, but in summer maybe a day or two in advance you should call.

Instinctive said:
Bourbon Christmas Update!!!
Sounds like you did the stuff along bourbon row? I've not hit any of those spots yet. I'm not sure if any of those guys are actually distilling onsite. I know they're not aging. HH's primary distillery is down in Bardstown and worth checking out for sure next time you're down there! 

Fun fact: Bulleit's Bourbon is actually made by 4 roses and is about midway between their low and high rye mashbills. Though that rye percentage is high compared to most other distilleries. Diago (Bulleit's parent company) doesn't really make any of their own stuff. Their Rye is produced by MGP Indiana. 

You've got me curious about Peerless' products. I'm guessing they're probably a few years away from having a good bourbon, as 3-4yr bourbon is pretty young. Even Willett's own stock (sits at 5yrs) needs more time to be taken seriously, IMO. That said, keeping in mind that it's a work in progress, it's nice to be able to sample younger stuff. 

Has anyone started/developed a solera/infinity bottle of bourbon/rye?  Just learned of the concept, which seems like such a JFCWTF didn’t I think of this sooner type of thing. Looking forward to the process and product. 

Sounds like you did the stuff along bourbon row? I've not hit any of those spots yet. I'm not sure if any of those guys are actually distilling onsite. I know they're not aging. HH's primary distillery is down in Bardstown and worth checking out for sure next time you're down there! 

Fun fact: Bulleit's Bourbon is actually made by 4 roses and is about midway between their low and high rye mashbills. Though that rye percentage is high compared to most other distilleries. Diago (Bulleit's parent company) doesn't really make any of their own stuff. Their Rye is produced by MGP Indiana. 

You've got me curious about Peerless' products. I'm guessing they're probably a few years away from having a good bourbon, as 3-4yr bourbon is pretty young. Even Willett's own stock (sits at 5yrs) needs more time to be taken seriously, IMO. That said, keeping in mind that it's a work in progress, it's nice to be able to sample younger stuff. 
Yeah, Bourbon Row and also out a bit. Bulleit is at the old Stitzel-Weller distillery. Cool story from them:

Bulleit was made from 80s until a few years ago by renting distillery time and labor at a number of distilleries, and also with rented Rickhouse space for aging. Over the last couple years (they bought their property in like 2011) they have relocated all their barrels to their place right outside of donwtown Louisville.

They said they have also been running their own full distillery operation independently since 2013 (I think that was the year). At the Stitzel-Weller land they have a small experiment Al distillery, like a barrel a day, where they are trying random #### like cocoa-toasted rye in their process. Then they age it somewhere and see if it's any good. Said their new product development timeline is close to a decade from idea to shelf if it works. 

The rankings/details (Lower scores better - 1st place = 1.... 5th place = 5):
NOTE: This ranking is just based on the overall comparative ranking.. not the individual tastings. See the detailed results at the end of this post for that data. 

1st Place) Sample 3: Eagle Rare: 11yr 6mo Private Barrel Selection - 2017 155th Airlift Squadron Pick - (AVG SCORE: 2.33)
This was kinda shocking, given this is the private barrel selection that my buddies and I picked for this year. I knew it was good, and it has regularly beaten other ER private barrel picks, but It's never been blind sampled against other highly coveted/allocated bourbons. A Buffalo Trace product. Not as many 1st place votes as ETL, but 4 top 2 votes and all but one had it in the top 3. 
RANKINGS: 1st / 1st / 2nd / 2nd / 3rd / 5th 

2nd Place) Sample 2: Elmer T Lee - Standard 2017 Release (AVG SCORE: 2.50)
Annually one of the most sought after "normal" releases. Fairly allocated release from Buffalo Trace Distillery. 3 folks clearly loved this whiskey... but 3 folks knocked it own to a close second. 
RANKINGS: 1st / 1st / 1st / 3rd / 4th / 5th

3rd Place TIE) Sample 4: Old Weller Antique 107 Proof Private Barrel Selection - 2017 Wine & Liquor Depot Pick (AVG SCORE: 3.17) 
One of 8 private barrel selections to hit the Memphis area this year. IMO one of the top 3 or 4 of the bunch and better than standard Old Weller Antique release. This was clearly polarizing... with half the folks rating in the top two, and half rating it in the bottom 2. 
RANKINGS: 1st / 2nd / 2nd / 4th / 5th / 5th

3rd Place TIE) Sample 5: Old Fitzgerald - Bottled In Bond - 2010 Release (AVG SCORE: 3.17) 
Threw this in the mix as a slightly older mid/lower-shelf wheated bourbon. It's a $15ish dollar bottle that's largely a kentucky only release with limited distribution elsewhere. Most of Heaven Hill's wheated product now goes to their Larceny line. That said, this is IMO a great value at $15ish if you can find it. Nobody loved this (no 1st place rankings) but Nobody hated it (no 5th place rankings)... the only whiskey with that distinction. The fact that this lowly $15 wheated bottle beat out the 5th place wheated bottle which is one of the most sought after bottles around says something....  More Info: https://www.breakingbourbon.com/old-fitzgerald-bottled-in-bond.html
RANKINGS: 2nd / 3rd / 3rd / 3rd / 4th / 4th

5th Place) Sample 1: The infamous "Weller 12yr" - 2016 Release (AVG SCORE: 3.83) 
I have always felt this bottle was a little overrated, but this result was surprising even to me. One of the most heavily sought after bottles on an annual basis... the close cousin to Van Winkle 12yr "Lot B"...  yet it finished 5th overall, and 3rd out of 3 wheated bourbons. Does this mean it's the worst? Not necessarily, of course... these are all very good whiskies, IMO. Something to think about, however. 
RANKINGS: 2nd / 3rd / 4th / 4th / 5th / 5th 

The Bourbon Sampler - Photo
Detailed Scores Revealed

Note: Don't forget to read detailed tasting notes under "comments" 

The floor is open for discussion... I'm happy to answer any questions :)  

The rankings/details (Lower scores better - 1st place = 1.... 5th place = 5):
NOTE: This ranking is just based on the overall comparative ranking.. not the individual tastings. See the detailed results at the end of this post for that data. 

1st Place) Sample 3: Eagle Rare: 11yr 6mo Private Barrel Selection - 2017 155th Airlift Squadron Pick - (AVG SCORE: 2.33)
This was kinda shocking, given this is the private barrel selection that my buddies and I picked for this year. I knew it was good, and it has regularly beaten other ER private barrel picks, but It's never been blind sampled against other highly coveted/allocated bourbons. A Buffalo Trace product. Not as many 1st place votes as ETL, but 4 top 2 votes and all but one had it in the top 3. 
RANKINGS: 1st / 1st / 2nd / 2nd / 3rd / 5th 

2nd Place) Sample 2: Elmer T Lee - Standard 2017 Release (AVG SCORE: 2.50)
Annually one of the most sought after "normal" releases. Fairly allocated release from Buffalo Trace Distillery. 3 folks clearly loved this whiskey... but 3 folks knocked it own to a close second. 
RANKINGS: 1st / 1st / 1st / 3rd / 4th / 5th

3rd Place TIE) Sample 4: Old Weller Antique 107 Proof Private Barrel Selection - 2017 Wine & Liquor Depot Pick (AVG SCORE: 3.17) 
One of 8 private barrel selections to hit the Memphis area this year. IMO one of the top 3 or 4 of the bunch and better than standard Old Weller Antique release. This was clearly polarizing... with half the folks rating in the top two, and half rating it in the bottom 2. 
RANKINGS: 1st / 2nd / 2nd / 4th / 5th / 5th

3rd Place TIE) Sample 5: Old Fitzgerald - Bottled In Bond - 2010 Release (AVG SCORE: 3.17) 
Threw this in the mix as a slightly older mid/lower-shelf wheated bourbon. It's a $15ish dollar bottle that's largely a kentucky only release with limited distribution elsewhere. Most of Heaven Hill's wheated product now goes to their Larceny line. That said, this is IMO a great value at $15ish if you can find it. Nobody loved this (no 1st place rankings) but Nobody hated it (no 5th place rankings)... the only whiskey with that distinction. The fact that this lowly $15 wheated bottle beat out the 5th place wheated bottle which is one of the most sought after bottles around says something.... 
RANKINGS: 2nd / 3rd / 3rd / 3rd / 4th / 4th

5th Place) Sample 1: The infamous "Weller 12yr" - 2016 Release (AVG SCORE: 3.83) 
I have always felt this bottle was a little overrated, but this result was surprising even to me. One of the most heavily sought after bottles on an annual basis... the close cousin to Van Winkle 12yr "Lot B"...  yet it finished 5th overall, and 3rd out of 3 wheated bourbons. Does this mean it's the worst? Not necessarily, of course... these are all very good whiskies, IMO. Something to think about, however. 
RANKINGS: 2nd / 3rd / 4th / 4th / 5th / 5th 

The Bourbon Sampler - Photo
Detailed Scores Revealed

Note: Don't forget to read detailed tasting notes under "comments" 

The floor is open for discussion... I'm happy to answer any questions :)  
Awesome! Interesting results. I was in the other group.

Is that Weller the same stuff you sent me in the “extra” package? Because I thought that was the best of the bunch of what we had. Interesting that the bourbon guys didn’t dig it.

I also liked the Eagle Rare for the 155th. Pretty cool that got first place!

Awesome! Interesting results. I was in the other group.

Is that Weller the same stuff you sent me in the “extra” package? Because I thought that was the best of the bunch of what we had. Interesting that the bourbon guys didn’t dig it.

I also liked the Eagle Rare for the 155th. Pretty cool that got first place!
Yep. That Weller 12yr was from the same bottle as what was tested here. These always end up with interesting results. 

@[icon] any chance you could add prices to these bottles? I'm looking for something in the sweet spot of high rated, not insanely expensive, and at the same time something I can actually find. 

@[icon] any chance you could add prices to these bottles? I'm looking for something in the sweet spot of high rated, not insanely expensive, and at the same time something I can actually find. 
Sure! 

Bourbon - Availability - Retail Price - Secondary Price

1) Eagle Rare: 155th Airlift Squadron Pick - Unavailable (single private barrel) - Was $35 retail - Unavailable
         > Standard Release - $30ish retail and not allocated (moderately easy to find)
2) Elmer T Lee - Tightly Allocated (tough to find - Released 1x Yearly) - $35-40 Retail - $70-80 Secondary
3) Old Weller Antique: Wine & Liquor Depot Pick - Unavailable (single private barrel) - Was $30 retail - Unavailable
         > Standard Release - $30-35 retail and moderately allocated (hit or miss to find)
4) Old Fitzgerald Bottled In Bond (2010) - Current releases mostly KY Only - $15-17 retail - $25-40 Secondary
5) Weller 12yr - Tightly Allocated (Very tough to find - released 1x yearly) - $35-40 Retail - $100-140 Secondary

I'm not surprised that the Eagle Rare sample took first place since Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are my favorite bourbons.   I don't know that I have tried Elmer T Lee.    These results show that needs to change!

Like the other poster, it would be great to see the prices of these bottles.   Edit:.  Thanks for posting the prices.    

Sure! 

Bourbon - Availability - Retail Price - Secondary Price

1) Eagle Rare: 155th Airlift Squadron Pick - Unavailable (single private barrel) - Was $35 retail - Unavailable
         > Standard Release - $30ish retail and not allocated (moderately easy to find)
2) Elmer T Lee - Tightly Allocated (tough to find - Released 1x Yearly) - $35-40 Retail - $70-80 Secondary
3) Old Weller Antique: Wine & Liquor Depot Pick - Unavailable (single private barrel) - Was $30 retail - Unavailable
         > Standard Release - $30-35 retail and moderately allocated (hit or miss to find)
4) Old Fitzgerald Bottled In Bond (2010) - Current releases mostly KY Only - $15-17 retail - $25-40 Secondary
5) Weller 12yr - Tightly Allocated (Very tough to find - released 1x yearly) - $35-40 Retail - $100-140 Secondary
So all this for stuff we will never, ever be able to drink again unless you want to do this in the future. Thanks for that, tease!

:P

Users who are viewing this thread