What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

I'm not super knowledgeable about this, but I'd definitely be in if you need an extra person to make it worthwhile.
This is definitely not any expert level thing. The bourbon options in the standard samples are going to be very approachable, easy drinking stuff. Nobody need to feel like they're not "qualified" for anything.... this is just dudes drinking whiskey :D  

Gotcha :thumbup:  

As of now I have Heckmanm on the list... anyone else just post in here "In" and which sample(s) you'd like to participate in. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.... so if we were doing a blind tasting thing... would you guys wanna do: 

• All Bourbon: (EXAMPLES [not specifically]: Weller 12yr, Old Weller Antique 107, 1792 Full Proof, EHTaylor Small Batch, Henry McKenna 10yr Bottled In Bond, Blantons)

• All Ryes: (EXAMPLES [not specifically]: Michters Straight Rye, Sazerac Rye, Willett Family Estate 3rd Rye, Pikesville Rye, Rittenhouse Rye, Bulleitt Rye)

• Mix of Bourbon & Rye

If Bourbon.... would you like a specific profile (ie all Wheated Bourbons, all Barrel/High Proof Bourbons, etc), or an array of mashbills?  If there was demand for some more "premium/allocated" stuff we could do that, but obviously would cost more (NOT trying to turn this into a big money thing, which is why I was leaning  toward more basic stuff). 

IF this happened I'd lean toward maybe doing around five 2oz samples for 10 or 12 folks. Would have to buy the bottles, pay shipping, etc. Folks who participate would need to commit to sampling all bottles (even if only half the bottle) within a week and submitting scores. 
I went to a blind bourbon tasting at a restaurant, 24 people.  They did 10 bourbons 1/2 ounce each.  Combo of wheat and rye.  Nice mixture of prices from 25-50 a bottle and people rated and kept track of their favorites and the ones they rated lower.  I can`t remember the names but the 2 50 dollar bottles came out on the lower end of everybody's list.  The key was the host was a bourbon expert..after we tasted one and people talked about he would then describe what to look for without giving the name.

I'd be in for the standard bourbon if there is room available on that list. Always interested in expanding my horizons.

I went to a blind bourbon tasting at a restaurant, 24 people.  They did 10 bourbons 1/2 ounce each.  Combo of wheat and rye.  Nice mixture of prices from 25-50 a bottle and people rated and kept track of their favorites and the ones they rated lower.  I can`t remember the names but the 2 50 dollar bottles came out on the lower end of everybody's list.  The key was the host was a bourbon expert..after we tasted one and people talked about he would then describe what to look for without giving the name.
Yeah in a perfect world I'd love to host this live, but it's just not feasible. I also don't want to introduce too much information about the whiskies in the glass sample jars as I don't want to color perceptions. 

How I'd love to see this going down: 
1) I send out samples blind marked (1-5 or 1-4)
2) Everyone takes optional notes on appearance / nose if they'd like to
3) Everyone tastes the sample: At least grading them in order. Ideally taking more detailed notes and/or scoring them on the scale provided. 
4) Send me tasting notes/ranks/scores via PM to avoid influencing others. Keep discussion to a minimum until everyone is in. 
5) I will compile data as we go, when all are in, I'll post scores/rankings/notes alongside detailed info about the whiskies you sampled. 
6) Open discussion ensues about the whiskey, results, and I'll happily answer any questions. 

BOURBON SAMPLE BLIND TASTING:

Okay so I got a little buzz on last night organizing some bottles and watching MNF and ordered a 72pk of 1oz glass sample bottles... I started thinking through options and I was hesitant to introduce barrel proof stuff into the basic tasting, as that may artificially skew results toward/away from those samples depending on folks preference for higher proof whiskey. Plus I didn't want anyone sipping a smooth 90 proof Weller, then getting caught off guard by a 130 proof sample. 

SO.. I'm looking at doing two separate options: 

STANDARD BOURBON TASTING: Assortment of five 1oz samples of bourbons. Will tentatively include:

1) Weller 12yr (as I know many here want to try but haven't been able to),
2) 2017 Eagle Rare 11yr 6mo Private Barrel Selection for the 155th Airlift Squadron
3)Private Barrel pick of Old Weller Antique 107.
4 & 5) Two others will be determined once I go through my stocks, but likely will have one sample of something old/Rare/discontinued. 

1 Heckmanm
2 Slapdash
3 Bucky86
4 acarey
5 Freakshow

HIGH PROOF & RYE TASTING: Assortment of four 1oz samples of barrel proof bourbons and ryes. Not for the faint of heart, these will be uncut samples in the 120+ proof range. For this I'm leaning toward:

1) An 11-13yr aged Willett Famly Estate Single Barrel Bourbon (distillery gift shop only, $200-400 retail)
2) Willett Family Estate 8yr Single Barrel Rye
3)  Michter's Barrel Proof Rye (either standard or toasted barrel finished) - these are among my faves. 
4) maybe an older Bookers or a Four Roses Barrel Proof Private Barrel pick.

1 Slapdash
2 Bucky86

DETAILS:
• I'm okay with folks who want to do both, but please be someone who's comfortable with drinking Barrel Proof offerings if you request those samples. 
• I'm going to REQUEST folks to PLEASE sample and submit ratings within 1 week of receiving them. Doesn't mean you have to drink it all... I'm just partially doing this to see where scores land, and I'd hate for a slacker to hold up the scores. Anyone dragging their heels will be excluded from any future samplings. 

COST:
I'm looking at about $5 per package for sample bottles & packing materials. Likely about $5 per pack to ship as well. Then there is the cost of the whiskey... I'm certainly not in this to make money, and I'm not going to be charging secondary for this stuff, at the same time, some of these bottles will be $100-300 retail cost. After factoring in $10 for materials/shipping, I'm anticipating pricing to be around $25 for the standard bourbon sample pack, and $40 for the Barrel Proof sample pack. Payment will be PayPal Friends & Family or Venmo. 

Note that if you were to purchase these at a bar, you'd likely end up paying ~$75 for the bourbon samples and around ~$100 (or more) for the Barrel Proof samples... IF the bar even had all this stuff, which very few do. I'll prob end up losing money on this but I like to share stuff that folks may not normally get to try, and am curious to hear you guys' feedback. :banned:  

SURPRISE: For added fun, I will also include a sample of something special randomly with one of the packages...  :bowtie:

THE TASTING: 
I'll suggest folks at least submit the samples in order of their favorite. Those who wish to be more detailed can grade them on this scale.  I've kept the number of samples small/manageable to they should be able to be compared against each other in a single sitting. Anyone seeing tips on tasting, I'll be happy to help. 

I'm hoping to mail these samples out Monday or Tuesday, assuming my sample bottles come in Friday as expected. Let's see how this goes :popcorn:  
@kutta, @lumpy19, @Megla, @MrJimiT, @McGarnicle, @top dog @TheFanatic

Looks like fun! I'm still a whiskey novice though, and currently in sobriety mode so not able to participate. Much appreciate the offer though.

Thanks for tagging me....I'd love to do both. However I have many vacation days that I have to use up in the next few weeks and I will be out of town some of those - which makes me unreliable for a timely test/results and a steady address for mailing. I will keep watch at the name lists though...I don't want this to fail. LOVE THE IDEA!!!

I'm so in on this, but the timing is not good. 2 weeks till Christmas and if I'm doing this, I gotta have the good padre over to sample with me. The kids priest is a childhood friend of my wife and is a big bourbon guy. I always call him if I have an opportunity like this. I'm just not sure he will be in town. I don't want to mess up the timeline. Let me check his availability. 

Oh, and love the fact that you are doing this Icon. Too cool!

@MrJimiT @TheFanatic Sounds good, keep me posted. I'm finalizing things Monday or so as I'd like everything to be in folks' hands before Christmas if possible. Going to be sending via USPS Priority Mail for delivery Wed or Thursday assuming everything goes according to schedule. Would like to have results in by New Years Day if possible. 

@MrJimiT @TheFanatic Sounds good, keep me posted. I'm finalizing things Monday or so as I'd like everything to be in folks' hands before Christmas if possible. Going to be sending via USPS Priority Mail for delivery Wed or Thursday assuming everything goes according to schedule. Would like to have results in by New Years Day if possible. 
If NYD is the cutoff, I'm in for both. The padre is in town for the holidays. 

Sounds good! Demand is such I'm gonna put you on the BP offerings for now and see how it shakes out. 
That's fine. I would gladly do both, but I'm good for just the one. Might make it a little easier with all the stuff going on for the holidays. I don't want to cram these both into one night and I might not have two nights to do two different tastings. In the back of my head, I hear my wife saying, "You're doing a bourbon thing..... again?"

[icon] said:
STANDARD BOURBON TASTING: Assortment of five 1oz samples of bourbons. Will tentatively include:

2) 2017 Eagle Rare 11yr 6mo Private Barrel Selection for the 155th Airlift Squadron
4 & 5) Two others will be determined once I go through my stocks, but likely will have one sample of something old/Rare/discontinued. 

1 Heckmanm
2 Bucky86
3 acarey
4 Freakshow
5 Cinciredfan

HIGH PROOF & RYE TASTING: Assortment of four 1oz samples of barrel proof bourbons and ryes. Not for the faint of heart, these will be uncut samples in the 120+ proof range. For this I'm leaning toward:

1) An 11-13yr aged Willett Famly Estate Single Barrel Bourbon (distillery gift shop only, $200-400 retail)
3)  Michter's Barrel Proof Rye (either standard or toasted barrel finished) - these are among my faves. 

1 Slapdash
2 The Fanatic
3 PurpleHaze67

DETAILS:
• EDIT: Demand got to where I'm going to limit folks to one or the other for now to try to get as many folks involved as possible. If this goes smoothly..after I inventory stuff I may open it up to more folks if I do another round :thumbup:  

That's fine. I would gladly do both, but I'm good for just the one. Might make it a little easier with all the stuff going on for the holidays. I don't want to cram these both into one night and I might not have two nights to do two different tastings. In the back of my head, I hear my wife saying, "You're doing a bourbon thing..... again?"
:lmao:  

I feel like your wife and my girl would have a lot to talk about. She'll give me the smirking eyeroll when she comes home and I've got 20+ bottles out on the counter and a buddy or three over passing glasses around :lol:   

:lmao:  

I feel like your wife and my girl would have a lot to talk about. She'll give me the smirking eyeroll when she comes home and I've got 20+ bottles out on the counter and a buddy or three over passing glasses around :lol:   
SAME thing. Honestly, the only thing that keeps the eye rolls to a minimum is that the priest was somebody she babysat as a child. His sister has babysat for our kids and we were at his ordination to become a priest. As a non catholic, I was honored to be invited and thought the whole process was fascinating. Basically, I'll get a pass to do this once. But when the good padre is there 6 days later for a second round of tasting, I'm going to get the stink eye. 

SAME thing. Honestly, the only thing that keeps the eye rolls to a minimum is that the priest was somebody she babysat as a child. His sister has babysat for our kids and we were at his ordination to become a priest. As a non catholic, I was honored to be invited and thought the whole process was fascinating. Basically, I'll get a pass to do this once. But when the good padre is there 6 days later for a second round of tasting, I'm going to get the stink eye. 
LOL! I'll make sure to throw in a little something extra for you and the Padre. 

I would be in for the bourbon sampling. I've only recently started expanding my bourbon palette, and would really like to become more educated.

I'd LOVE to be in if it's not too late.

ETA: I'd be in for both.

[icon] said:
BOURBON SAMPLE BLIND TASTING:

Okay so I got a little buzz on last night organizing some bottles and watching MNF and ordered a 72pk of 1oz glass sample bottles... I started thinking through options and I was hesitant to introduce barrel proof stuff into the basic tasting, as that may artificially skew results toward/away from those samples depending on folks preference for higher proof whiskey. Plus I didn't want anyone sipping a smooth 90 proof Weller, then getting caught off guard by a 130 proof sample. 

SO.. I'm looking at doing two separate options: 

1 Heckmanm
2 Bucky86
3 acarey
4 Freakshow
5 Cinciredfan

1 Slapdash
2 The Fanatic

DETAILS:
• EDIT: Demand got to where I'm going to limit folks to one or the other for now to try to get as many folks involved as possible. If this goes smoothly..after I inventory stuff I may open it up to more folks if I do another round :thumbup:  
• I'm going to REQUEST folks to PLEASE sample and submit ratings within 1 week of receiving them. Doesn't mean you have to drink it all... I'm just partially doing this to see where scores land, and I'd hate for a slacker to hold up the scores. Anyone dragging their heels will be excluded from any future samplings. 

COST:
I'm looking at about $5 per package for sample bottles & packing materials. Likely about $5 per pack to ship as well. Then there is the cost of the whiskey... I'm certainly not in this to make money, and I'm not going to be charging secondary for this stuff, at the same time, some of these bottles will be $100-300 retail cost. After factoring in $10 for materials/shipping, I'm anticipating pricing to be around $25 for the standard bourbon sample pack, and $40 for the Barrel Proof sample pack. Payment will be PayPal Friends & Family or Venmo. 

Note that if you were to purchase these at a bar, you'd likely end up paying ~$75 for the bourbon samples and around ~$100 (or more) for the Barrel Proof samples... IF the bar even had all this stuff, which very few do. I'll prob end up losing money on this but I like to share stuff that folks may not normally get to try, and am curious to hear you guys' feedback. :banned:  

SURPRISE: For added fun, I will also include a sample of something special randomly with one of the packages...  :bowtie:

THE TASTING: 
I'll suggest folks at least submit the samples in order of their favorite. Those who wish to be more detailed can grade them on this scale.  I've kept the number of samples small/manageable to they should be able to be compared against each other in a single sitting. Anyone seeing tips on tasting, I'll be happy to help. 

I'm hoping to mail these samples out Monday or Tuesday, assuming my sample bottles come in Friday as expected. Let's see how this goes :popcorn:  
I would absolutely do this, but would want them to make it by the end of the week. Possible?

In for the barrel proof/rye if there is still room.
Gotcha! 

I would absolutely do this, but would want them to make it by the end of the week. Possible?
Sorry I won’t even have the sample bottles until Friday or so. Gotta ship them next Monday for arrival Wed-Thursday. 

I'd LOVE to be in if it's not too late.

ETA: I'd be in for both.
Cutting to max 1 since interest was high. You get first choice of Barrel Proof or regular?

PSA - MAKE SURE IF PAYING BY PAYPAL TO NOT MENTION ANYTHING RELATED TO ALCOHOL IN THE NOTE SECTION!

I'm pretty sure they have strict guidlines for "selling" alcohol.  Don't want to get @[icon] flagged.   :D
YES THIS! No comments please ?

@[icon] - Thanks for the mention.  I'm in on both if there is still room!  Just PM me the paypal details.

Thanks!
You’ve got the slot that Kutta doesn’t take :thumbup:  

I'd be in for standard if there's still room.  
Sorry man it filled up. I know you got in before Kutta and top dog but I wanted to give dibs to folks who have been active in here first. I’ll getcha next go around for sure. 

THIS IS CLOSED. :banned:  

Picked up a “Pappy” Van Winkle 12yr Lot B tonight... perhaps that will be the “bonus” sample? Hrmmm... 

FINAL LIST OF PARTICIPANTS:

STANDARD BOURBON TASTING: Assortment of five 1oz samples of bourbons.

1 Heckmanm
2 Bucky86
3 acarey
4 Freakshow
5 Cinciredfan
6 Top Dog

HIGH PROOF & RYE TASTING: Assortment of four 1oz samples of barrel proof bourbons and ryes. Not for the faint of heart, these will be uncut samples in the 120+ proof range.

1 Slapdash
2 The Fanatic
3 Ron Swanson 
4 Kutta 

I'll finalize details and send out a PM with PayPal/Venmo info. Looking like Priority Mail will be the best route for shipping ($7-8) so it gets to you guys by the weekend/Christmas. 

One issue of concern is the bottles shipped yesterday (via USPS) but are showing delivery Fri or Saturday. if they come saturday,I won't have them till monday and won't be able to ship till Tuesday. Still should be good for Thur/Fri delivery... just an FYI. 

Gotcha! 

Sorry I won’t even have the sample bottles until Friday or so. Gotta ship them next Monday for arrival Wed-Thursday. 

Cutting to max 1 since interest was high. You get first choice of Barrel Proof or regular?

YES THIS! No comments please ?

You’ve got the slot that Kutta doesn’t take :thumbup:  

Sorry man it filled up. I know you got in before Kutta and top dog but I wanted to give dibs to folks who have been active in here first. I’ll getcha next go around for sure. 

THIS IS CLOSED. :banned:  

Picked up a “Pappy” Van Winkle 12yr Lot B tonight... perhaps that will be the “bonus” sample? Hrmmm... 
I’d prefer the barrel proof. Thanks! Really looking forward to it!

I've been stalking this thread for a few months now as I'm really getting into bourbon. What an awesome idea @[icon] and extremely generous. Excited to see how the first round goes and will hopefully get to take part in the future. Bought a bottle of Clyde Mays straight and Four Roses single barrel to sip while following along with you guys.

Cheers!

Dang. Sorry it closed already. Was on the road. Hope it goes well, would love to do next one. If anyone changes their mind I'll hop into a spot willingly!

I’ve revently tried to get into ryes. Know virtually nothing about them. Have tried Redemption Rye, High West rye and Crown Northern Harvest rye (white box). 

I’ve revently tried to get into ryes. Know virtually nothing about them. Have tried Redemption Rye, High West rye and Crown Northern Harvest rye (white box). 
Michters Rye is phenomenal IMO (Their Barrel Proof version is one of my favorites, but the standard is great too). Great baking spice notes.  
Sazerac Rye is a gold standard, but can be tough to find. A bit more mint here. 

I'm on a rye kick as well, myself! 

Just won a bottle of 2017 Thomas H Handy Barrel Proof Rye (BTAC) for $38 in a raffle on one of the Facebook Bourbon Groups. :banned:  Should be here friday.. can't wait to try it. 

Also got that call from a buddy who owns a liquor store, he had a "Pappy" Van Winkle 12yr Lot B for me. Retail price at $74.99 :thumbup:   I don't love the stuff but it's good to have on hand for guests, especially at retail. Brought my WLW up to the shop, popped it, and shared samples with him and one of his other employees who is a big bourbon buff. Good times. 

[icon] said:

1 Heckmanm
2 Bucky86
3 acarey
4 Freakshow
5 Cinciredfan
6 Top Dog

HIGH PROOF & RYE TASTING: Assortment of four 1oz samples of barrel proof bourbons and ryes. Not for the faint of heart, these will be uncut samples in the 120+ proof range.

1 Slapdash
2 The Fanatic
3 Ron Swanson 
4 Kutta 

I'll finalize details and send out a PM with PayPal/Venmo info. Looking like Priority Mail will be the best route for shipping ($7-8) so it gets to you guys by the weekend/Christmas. 

One issue of concern is the bottles shipped yesterday (via USPS) but are showing delivery Fri or Saturday. if they come saturday,I won't have them till monday and won't be able to ship till Tuesday. Still should be good for Thur/Fri delivery... just an FYI. 

Doing God's work, thumbs up.

Thanks for the invite but I have a pretty good selection this year, good to see some others enjoying your generosity :thumbup:

[icon] said:

FYI For those inboxing for payment info. 

Per the above, I'm still nailing down shipping options and pricing / what bourbons/ryes will be included. I'll send out a group PM with payment info as soon as I get everything finalized. 

[icon] said:

1 Heckmanm
2 Bucky86
3 acarey
4 Freakshow
5 Cinciredfan
6 Top Dog

1 Slapdash
2 The Fanatic
3 Ron Swanson 
4 Kutta 

Hoping for a chilly night for the sampling! I can't wait! Thanks brother. DM me the paypal info and I'll get some cash sent over. 

kutta said:
Honestly, if you’d really like the barrel slot, I’ll do the other one. I’m just a pretty big fan of ryes and the higher proof stuff, but I’m sure Icon will take care of us in both pools.
I'm good.  I was just messing with you.  I'm honestly floored that [icon] is dong this.  I tried to explain to my wife how I started a post on a message board and a guy who responded is going to send me some bourbons to sample but she quickly went to the "Oh is he a Nigerian price??" card.  Can't wait to show her that the brothers at FBG are real.   :D

I'm good.  I was just messing with you.  I'm honestly floored that [icon] is dong this.  I tried to explain to my wife how I started a post on a message board and a guy who responded is going to send me some bourbons to sample but she quickly went to the "Oh is he a Nigerian price??" card.  Can't wait to show her that the brothers at FBG are real.   :D
My wife doesn't get it either. I've had 2 other people do this for me too and it's always amazing. Almost too amazing. Ignorance is bliss. I've definitely ramped up my spending on bourbon as I try more and more. 

I was in Aiken, SC the last couple days.  I went around some of the local liquor stores to see what I could find.  Ended up picking up a bottle of Henry McKenna 10yr Bottled In Bond and a bottle of Basil Hayden Dark Rye.  They aren't exclusive to that area or anything, but I don't remember ever seeing the Basil Hayden Rye for sure, and I went with the McKenna based off some earlier recommendations in this thread.

As I've looked around various liquor stores every time I get out of my home state it is always interesting to me to see the difference in price and availability for some spirits.  For example, Whistle Pig 10 year was pretty available and about $63 a bottle in the 3 stores I went to around Aiken, SC and Augusta, GA.   Can't find that stuff up North where I am.  Even found a bottle of Whistle Pig 15 yr Straight Rye Whiskey for $219 and a bottle of Whistlepig Old World Cask Finish for 109.99.  I would have bought those, but my wife had already spent every friggin penny of my play money while we were down there.  Angel's Envy Rye was $100 and available all at all 3 places.  Can't find that here either.  On the flip side, Eagle Rare 10 yr was behind the counter in 1 of the stores for $50.  The local grocery store has a bunch of those all the time for $33.  Buffalo Trace?  $50 in Aiken.  One bottle to be found.  Local Giant Eagle has countless bottles of that for about $26.  EH Taylor Rye for $100 was pretty easy to find in the south as well.  EH Taylor Small batch was plentiful.  I find that a couple time a year locally..

Supply and Demand I guess.

:lol:  Yeah. I've got a group of 4-5 very good buddies who all have collections that smoke mine (the good stuff is on lower level toward back)... entire BTAC, Pappy 15, Pappy 20, Multiple years of Birthday Bourbons, Old Weller paper labels, EH Taylor limited like Cured Oak, Seasoned Wood, etc etc.

We have a very "open bar" policy when hanging out, and if someone comes by that isn't familiar, they will get a crash course in whiskey with samplings of some amazing stuff. It's nothing for each one of us to drink what would be hundreds of dollars worth of whiskey at a bar in one evening.

I think there are two schools of thought among bourbon folks. There are the guys who have stuff up to show as a #### swing.  Then there are the type who love sharing with friends, and helping "teach" the uninitiated who are eager to learn. I generally avoid the former and have been very lucky to surround myself with a lot of the latter. 

TLDR: I enjoy this ####. Hopefully you guys have fun with the experience, get to try some stuff you've not tried before, and we all get to learn a little from the experience  :banned: .

Curious to see how the results test out. Going to pour up a set for myself and have my GF randomize them so I can taste them blind along with you guys. 

My wife doesn't get it either. I've had 2 other people do this for me too and it's always amazing. Almost too amazing. Ignorance is bliss. I've definitely ramped up my spending on bourbon as I try more and more. 

Ditto here....and almost exclusively due to THIS thread.
Ha! it's definitely a slippery slope and can get to be an expensive hobby. It's shocking how varied the flavors and styles can be... and how your moods can swing on what you might want from night to night. I love looking at the counter/bar and deciding what the next pour will be as the night goes on. 

The downside is you get very spoiled when you home bar has a better selection than 98% of bars and restaurants. I find myself drinking for "value" when out instead of splurging on the limited stuff. Hard to justify spending $25-75 for an ounce or two of something when you have a bottle of it at home. OWA 107, Knob Creek 120, Michters Rye are some of my favorites when out. 

Users who are viewing this thread