What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Hello friends... Been traveling a lot for work, and finding some little spots that have some of my favorites, one of which is Widow Jane. Anyone tried that yet, if its been mentioned earlier my bad, but Im not scrolling back through all the pages.
Hey GB! Been a minute. 

I've not tried Widow Jane but some buddies love it. I don't know much about it to be honest. 

Hey GB! Been a minute. 

I've not tried Widow Jane but some buddies love it. I don't know much about it to be honest. 
Actually just left Memphis, in Nashvegas today and tomorrow.

Need some names of some good places around you to buy from

I'm not an official bourbon guy but I tried Booker's at a friend's poker game last weekend, I had to add a lot of ice :bag:

Actually just left Memphis, in Nashvegas today and tomorrow.

Need some names of some good places around you to buy from
Nashville... eat/drink at Husk http://husknashville.com/

Memphis liquor stores: Gaslight (Northern Midtown off Summer) , Natalie's (N Germantown Pkwy , Doc's (East Memphis), and Busters (Poplar/HIghland) are great places to start. 

I'm not an official bourbon guy but I tried Booker's at a friend's poker game last weekend, I had to add a lot of ice :bag:
Bookers is a ####-puncher... hot and young. Ton of great flavor and USED to be an awesome value for a ~7yr uncut unfiltered small batch bourbon at $50. Now it's $70-80 and less of a value. Still tasty though. I usually have a few bottles on hand. But yes... ice or water can help with that one for MANY folks :D  

No shame in that. I LOVE Bookers - one of my favorites. I'll start neat just because I like to kick my own ### once in a while, but will end up slowly adding ice until it settles down a bit.

Soooooo..... owner of Haymarket Whiskey Bar in Louisville, Matthew Landan, is being torched on social media today. One woman came forth, outing him as a rapist with a detailed account, and since over a dozen women have stepped forward with similiar accusations, and many more have stated they've had uncomfortable encounters with him.  Lots of guys also saying they've heard all sorts of stories from female freinds, or heard really disgusting stuff direct from him. None of this has seen a courtroom yet... but it looks really bad. 

Haymarket was one of my favorite whiskey bars in the country... great selection with reasonable prices and zero pretense vibe. Hopefully it can transfer hands to a more conscientious staff... crazy. 

Guess what happened to me Saturday Icon, while at ABC distributor truck pulls in with a case of .75 and 1.75 Weller 12 year and they had no waiting list, took home 3 1.75s, :wub:
Hell yeah! Congrats! Enjoy!

They limit you at 3? :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Got another call this morning... a shop manager asked what BTAC I'd like most. Said Eagle Rare 17yr > William Larue Weller > George T Stagg > Sazerac 18 in that order. He said he had a WLW for me at retail ($90ish). Awesome. 

That puts me at 2x WLW for retail price ~$200 invested. Going to trade one of the WLW ($600 val) for a George T Stagg ($400 val) +$200 cash. 

Final result: I'll end up with a WLW and Stagg for "Free" this year... which works for me as they were the two bottles I was really wanting to score. 

Anyone else have any luck? 

[icon] said:
Got another call this morning... a shop manager asked what BTAC I'd like most. Said Eagle Rare 17yr > William Larue Weller > George T Stagg > Sazerac 18 in that order. He said he had a WLW for me at retail ($90ish). Awesome. 

That puts me at 2x WLW for retail price ~$200 invested. Going to trade one of the WLW ($600 val) for a George T Stagg ($400 val) +$200 cash. 

Final result: I'll end up with a WLW and Stagg for "Free" this year... which works for me as they were the two bottles I was really wanting to score. 

Anyone else have any luck? 
I so wish I had the energy and knowledge to do what you do with this stuff. My MO is to wander into my local BevMo and grab a few bottles of what I like.

You seem like you have so much more fun with it.

I so wish I had the energy and knowledge to do what you do with this stuff. My MO is to wander into my local BevMo and grab a few bottles of what I like.

You seem like you have so much more fun with it.
It’s pretty fun. 

At this point the legwork is kinda done. I just get calls now, and when I wanna swap stuff, I have people I can text and get it done. But yah, it’s kinda fun to wheel and deal to get what I want. A hobby for sure...  but I’ve slowed way down. Collection is getting kinda out of hand. 

Posted a picture on a thread of a Tampa Bourbon group and had someone message me wanting to send me a handle of Weller 12yr for a handle of my Old Weller Antique 107 (an “inferior” bottle). I respected the guy for trading for what he wanted instead of sweating secondary values like so many. Snuck in a couple good samples with his bottle. 

Posted a picture on a thread of a Tampa Bourbon group and had someone message me wanting to send me a handle of Weller 12yr for a handle of my Old Weller Antique 107 (an “inferior” bottle).
I have yet to even see a Weller 12 up here in SE Michigan. I've found 1 place that did have 107 so I bought 3 of them. Now I really enjoy 107 quite a bit. So if it is the "inferior" bottle...then I have got to land a try of W12.

I have yet to even see a Weller 12 up here in SE Michigan. I've found 1 place that did have 107 so I bought 3 of them. Now I really enjoy 107 quite a bit. So if it is the "inferior" bottle...then I have got to land a try of W12.
Ha!  Yeah, I put "inferior" in quotes because many folks prefer the 107 to the 12yr. 
• Old Weller Antique 107 = ~7yrs aged - 107 Proof
• WL Weller 12yr = 12yrs aged - 90 Proof

The Weller 12yr is smoother, sweeter, with a bit more oak on it (duh). A smoother sipper at the 90 proof. Some feel it's almost too one dimensional. 
The Old Weller Antique 107 is a bit hotter due to the proof, and has a bit more pronounced flavors. If you can find Store Pick single barrels of this, it's often some of the best whiskey around, and an insane value at $30ish per 750ml. 

In reality after I have one good bourbon on the rocks..the rest could be regular Jim Beam at 18 dollars a liter.
I can't tell you how many times I've had a couple good drinks and then complain to my wife while looking through our bar that I "have nothing in here to drink" because I don't want to start wasting expensive/hard to find spirits on a buzz.  I made that mistake in 2016 when Rajai Davis hit that home run in game 7 of the world series.  I was so excited thinking the Indians were going to win the series that I grabbed my bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel that I found in Tennessee and was drinking it (and spilling it on the dog) straight from the bottle.  I only ended up disappointed in both the Indians and myself.  :kicksrock:

In reality after I have one good bourbon on the rocks..the rest could be regular Jim Beam at 18 dollars a liter.
There is much truth to this for me as well. I picked up a case of Heaven Hill 6yr Bottled in Bond while in Kentucky last weekend. $11.49/750ml, and I guilted the guy into a 15% case discount because he wouldn't sell me his last George T Stagg for $200 :lol:  .

It's a kentucky only (for the most part) release that is shockingly good at that price. Easy drinker neat but I love it poured two fingers over once ice cube. At $125 for 12 bottles... It's a no brainer. 

I can't tell you how many times I've had a couple good drinks and then complain to my wife while looking through our bar that I "have nothing in here to drink" because I don't want to start wasting expensive/hard to find spirits on a buzz.  I made that mistake in 2016 when Rajai Davis hit that home run in game 7 of the world series.  I was so excited thinking the Indians were going to win the series that I grabbed my bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel that I found in Tennessee and was drinking it (and spilling it on the dog) straight from the bottle.  I only ended up disappointed in both the Indians and myself.  :kicksrock:
:lol:  been there done that (2016 WLW after last year's NEP super bowl comeback).  I feel your pain. 

Buddy's drunk of a wife took a HARD pull on the bottle after me, then proceeded to yammy all over his kitchen floor about 30 seconds later. Waste of good whiskey but #### it. :lol:  

Visiting friends on Saturday my friend's GF breaks out a bottle of EH Taylor single barrel for his birthday. Holy moley, now I get why you guys seek out the good stuff. Sipping by the fire was bliss.

There is much truth to this for me as well. I picked up a case of Heaven Hill 6yr Bottled in Bond while in Kentucky last weekend. $11.49/750ml, and I guilted the guy into a 15% case discount because he wouldn't sell me his last George T Stagg for $200 :lol:  .

It's a kentucky only (for the most part) release that is shockingly good at that price. Easy drinker neat but I love it poured two fingers over once ice cube. At $125 for 12 bottles... It's a no brainer. 
It is true...my one buddy is a bourbon snob.   Thinks he is the ultimate connoisseur and that Jim Beam is garbage, plus he can pound 7-8 on the rocks in an evening.   One night we had a party and the first two drinks I was gave him a Wellers,then a Col Taylor.  The third and fourth one I poured him a regular Jim Beam and he never said a word. In fact he liked it.

I generally will start with a drink of one of my good bottles and then move on to either Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace.  Or if I'm feeling a rye kind of night, Bullet.  None of those are hard to fine or are expensive here. 

Awkward moment at the office just now. 

BACKGROUND: Old college buddy founded company I work for. Brought me in as Dir of Marketing a few years back. He's a whiskey fan as well and is getting more into it. I bring in samples for him and give him pointers on bottles to grab. He was really wanting a Weller 12yr for the holidays to share with his Father in Law (who I'm also friends with). 

Yesterday I got lucky and scored a couple more bottles of Weller 12yr so I told him I'd give him one at my cost. He was ecstatic. 

Today I got my call to go pick up my 2nd WLW. I did. Swung by his office and set it on his desk as he hadn't seen one before. 

Buddy:   :excited:  Dude! .......Wow......Uh........What do I owe you?!......
Me:  :shock: Uh........... no......um........ 

I do this all the time. Bottle of Four Roses single barrel, or Jefferson's Small Batch or as of right now, a bottle of Oregon Spirit (my new fave of the medium value bourbons) or two then switch to Rebel Yell or Ezra Brooks. 

My only luck was finding a split of the Cask 630 for $32. I can't justify spending $60 on a whole bottle, but will drop $32 on a half bottle  :unsure:  At least not now. I need my palette for bourbon to be a bit more refined before I spend bigger dollars. 

It is true...my one buddy is a bourbon snob.   Thinks he is the ultimate connoisseur and that Jim Beam is garbage, plus he can pound 7-8 on the rocks in an evening.   One night we had a party and the first two drinks I was gave him a Wellers,then a Col Taylor.  The third and fourth one I poured him a regular Jim Beam and he never said a word. In fact he liked it.
How much money is he wasting on drinks 3 through 7 or 8?!?!?!

The funny thing is he usually hits the good stuff until he is half wasted then switches to Jack on the rocks.
After "graduating" to trying the whiskey's mentioned in this thread....I can't even drink Jack by itself anymore.

After "graduating" to trying the whiskey's mentioned in this thread....I can't even drink Jack by itself anymore.
See, I'm still in the boat where I can. Which is why I can't justify the top tier stuff. Although I wouldn't mind finding a bottle here and there and storing it away for when I am there. The problem is I don't know enough about it them and their costs to delve too much into that market. 

At ~$25 for 750ml, there is a LONG list of bottles I'll drink over Jack. 
I would agree, but sometimes that's all there is. I don't recall the last time I had one, but I remember it being at a ####ty bar with a beer selection that was worst than the brown liquor. Settled on Jack over whatever else they had. 

I would agree, but sometimes that's all there is. I don't recall the last time I had one, but I remember it being at a ####ty bar with a beer selection that was worst than the brown liquor. Settled on Jack over whatever else they had. 
True True! :D

I think we'll have Beam Black Extra Aged as our "house bourbon" again at Memphis in May, which is actually a tasty "value" glass of bourbon. 

Anyone know if 1792 bourbon 225th anniversary is good?  Cost was low 30's so too low to pass up.  It is a KY only release and could see if still have 1 later if anyone would want it.

Picked up a bottle last night as well as Eagle Rare (which I like a lot but hadn't found in a while)

Blanton's is my favorite (hard to find right now though still have a bottle)

Anyone know if 1792 bourbon 225th anniversary is good?  Cost was low 30's so too low to pass up.  It is a KY only release and could see if still have 1 later if anyone would want it.

Picked up a bottle last night as well as Eagle Rare (which I like a lot but hadn't found in a while)

Saw it at a shop in KY for $50 so $30s seems good. Can't speak to quality. LIke their Full Proof a lot. 

I really liked the 1792. I’ve  been rationing the dregs of a bottle I picked up last year or the year before.

my bottle just says small batch though and is 93 proofish I think.

Killed the tail end of a bottle of Blantons "Straight From the Barrel" last night... had almost forgotten how damn good that whiskey is. Had a pour of 2016 William Larue Weller afterward and, while phenomenal, didn't completely outshine the SFTB.

I still think Blantons SFTB is the best "value" in premium bourbon today.... $70 retail (Europe & Japan) but pretty easy to find at $120-140 in secondary market. Less if you order several bottles at a time from Masters of Malt

Killed the tail end of a bottle of Blantons "Straight From the Barrel" last night... had almost forgotten how damn good that whiskey is. Had a pour of 2016 William Larue Weller afterward and, while phenomenal, didn't completely outshine the SFTB.

I still think Blantons SFTB is the best "value" in premium bourbon today.... $70 retail (Europe & Japan) but pretty easy to find at $120-140 in secondary market. Less if you order several bottles at a time from Masters of Malt
I just found a bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel. Deal seemed good (about $15 less than my retail googling in store) so I grabbed one. Also good?

At my local Costco yesterday I found good prices (IMO at least, about $10 off of every $30 I found for retailing elsewhere, e.g. $40 instead of $60) on all of these:

Laphroig 10 year scotch

Blanton's Single Barrel

Michter's Straight Rye

Cockburn's 20-year Tawny

I know 2 of those aren't bourbons, but my greater point is that after I saw a bunch of good stuff at my Costco a month ago, went back a week later and it was all gone, I pay extra attention when I make a trip now. Just a PSA that yours may also have some interesting things at good prices!

That's not a bad sipper after moving away from the middle tier stuff I drink to start off from. Also, looking forward to MiM more and more now!
I generally don't drink a ton of bourbon at the festival given it's a long stretch of long days, but I usually have a couple bottles of good stuff in the back when I want to sip on something. Most of my drinking is beer or vodka/sprite, vodka/redbull, or beam/coke.

Neat whiskey is a recipe for struggle bus when you're drinking 12 hours a day for 5 days straight :lol:  

I generally don't drink a ton of bourbon at the festival given it's a long stretch of long days, but I usually have a couple bottles of good stuff in the back when I want to sip on something. Most of my drinking is beer or vodka/sprite, vodka/redbull, or beam/coke.

Neat whiskey is a recipe for struggle bus when you're drinking 12 hours a day for 5 days straight :lol:  
My day goes a little different. I generally get as much work as I can done, promoting various products before I start to imbibe. Normally don't start drinking until later in the afternoon. After that, I will drink and just collect any content I can. My other limitation is doing Instagram Live sessions. It's not a great idea to be wasted and jump on a Live stream to a couple thousand people, particularly with the increase in troll activity. So if a brand wants a Live session at 8:00 pm, I'm not drinking until that's over. 

Basically, I try to avoid mixing alcohol with work for clients. Work for me, heck yeah, have a beverage!

Also, I'm not someone that does whisky after whisky, I'll do a couple and then switch to beer or vice versa depending on what's available. 

Scored a bottler of Weller Antique 107 tonight.  I had to buy a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel private selection ($60) to have the right to buy the 107 ($40).  This also registered me for a drawing later in the month for the right to buy 1 of about 10 different rare offerings including some Pappy.   As is, I'm pretty pleased. 

Scored a bottler of Weller Antique 107 tonight.  I had to buy a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel private selection ($60) to have the right to buy the 107 ($40).  This also registered me for a drawing later in the month for the right to buy 1 of about 10 different rare offerings including some Pappy.   As is, I'm pretty pleased. 
I hate when they make you buy one bottle to buy another, but at least it was a good bottle at a fair price! And nice bonus of the entry for the other stuff. Good luck and enjoy the OWA and 4R. What recipe/age is the 4RSBPS?

I hate when they make you buy one bottle to buy another, but at least it was a good bottle at a fair price! And nice bonus of the entry for the other stuff. Good luck and enjoy the OWA and 4R. What recipe/age is the 4RSBPS?
Ok, learning this as i go.  OESK - 75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley.  Aged 8 years, 10 months.  56.7% abv. 

Elijah Craig & Eagle Rare ar my favorites and just finished Wild Turkey 101 which I loved . Where to go next? 

Also liked Four Roses small & single barrel 

Elijah Craig & Eagle Rare ar my favorites and just finished Wild Turkey 101 which I loved . Where to go next? 

Also liked Four Roses small & single barrel 
I dig the ones you mentioned. Here’s some others I like: Angel’s Envy Rye, Redemption Rye, Basil Hayden (both the rye and the bourbon), Bookers, and if you’re into Scotch, Macallan 18 might be the best thing I’ve ever drank.

Users who are viewing this thread