What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Elijah Craig Small Batch is really good and in that range.

I would add Elijah Craig to the tasty $25-$30 list. 

We haven't talked too much about it but I would assume I'm one of the biggest fans of ECBP on these boards - I have B519, B520 x 2 and C920.  Love all of them.  But I'm kind of meh on the SB.  I have a bottle I've almost drained and picked up a store pick which I've opened but letting it sit.  It's not bad but all the others mentioned are ones I would take over it.  I will say the store picks are typically same price or not much of a markup so if I end up enjoying this one I may just never buy a EC non-store pick again

I have a place not too far away that has A119 for $60 - I may need to go pick it up before they run out.

Picked up a Smoke Wagon barrel strength, uncut unfiltered solely because it’s allocated. Also picked up a bottle of Single barrel whistlepig which the guy at the store told me was 16 year bottled in ten year labels because no 16 labels are made. Think I was fed a pig in a poke, but like their 12 year old world rye enough to give it a whirl.

Picked up a Smoke Wagon barrel strength, uncut unfiltered solely because it’s allocated. Also picked up a bottle of Single barrel whistlepig which the guy at the store told me was 16 year bottled in ten year labels because no 16 labels are made. Think I was fed a pig in a poke, but like their 12 year old world rye enough to give it a whirl.
What do you think of that Smoke Wagon?

Pssssst...hey, buddy, wanna buy some mislabeled 16 year old Pappy?

It's common for some whiskeys.... stated age is min age. Many knob creek "9yr" 120 proof picks were 12-15yrs old, so it happens. 

Doesn't mean he was being truthful, but it's certainly possible. 

Some of the latest bottles I've picked up:

• Barrell Dovetail
  • Wilderness Trail 4 year BiB - Single Barrel high Wheat  (this was particularly delicious)
  • Wilderness Trail 6 year Cask Strength - high Rye (also good but didn't like it as much as the high Wheat)
  • Old Elk Wheated Bourbon - I totally screwed up while at the liquor store - wanted the Old Elk Wheated Whiskey and didn't read closely enough - :doh:
  • Smoke Wagon Small Batch
  • WT Rare Breed (Bourbon)

Smokewagon has been banned from most secondary boards because the owner of the company is being viewed as a dickbag. 

Some of the latest bottles I've picked up:

• Barrell Dovetail
  • Wilderness Trail 4 year BiB - Single Barrel high Wheat  (this was particularly delicious)
  • Wilderness Trail 6 year Cask Strength - high Rye (also good but didn't like it as much as the high Wheat)
  • Old Elk Wheated Bourbon - I totally screwed up while at the liquor store - wanted the Old Elk Wheated Whiskey and didn't read closely enough - :doh:
  • Smoke Wagon Small Batch
  • WT Rare Breed (Bourbon)
I’ve tried a LOT of whiskeys, but I’ve never had any of these. Time to branch out even more!

Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel this week. Haven't tried it yet. Anyone had it before?

Also am getting a bottle of Lord Overholt 11 yr Rye from a friend. Any insight into this one as well?

Smokewagon has been banned from most secondary boards because the owner of the company is being viewed as a dickbag. 
So, I watch Bourbon Junkies on YouTube and know a little bit more about this.  Apparently the Smoke Wagon Owner (or someone high up) has an IG page that is pretty popular and has started doing giveaways with some of their premium stuff.  Sometimes even giving someone a case (6 bottles) or rare stuff.  With the caveat that he never wants to see it on secondary.  Well, some ####### won a bottle put it on secondary and the Smoke Wagon guy (rightfully IMO) got the FB secondary group shutdown.  If people want to be upset, be upset with the jerk who won the bottle and didn't abide by the "rules".

*Big caveat to all of this is that I'm assuming the version from BJs is accurate.  I have no reason to believe it's not - they were happy the guy stuck to his guns and I have no issue with it.  People who do #### like that deserve the ridicule they get, IMO.

I’ve tried a LOT of whiskeys, but I’ve never had any of these. Time to branch out even more!
You shouldn't have much trouble finding any of those - Rare Breed in particular.  Smoke Wagon should be plentiful in AZ - I would get the Uncut/Unfiltered (which I haven't tried but was the one I wanted - here in GA, it went fast and I couldn't find one).  Wilderness Trail seems pretty easy to get - like I mentioned I like both but really like the high wheat mashbill.  My understanding is you can only get the cask strength at the distillery so I opted for the high rye mashbill.  It's good too but I'm guessing the high wheat cask strength is amazing.  Barrell just puts out some weird ####.  If you don't like finished whiskey avoid - you will not like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel this week. Haven't tried it yet. Anyone had it before?

Also am getting a bottle of Lord Overholt 11 yr Rye from a friend. Any insight into this one as well?
I've had the Toasted Barrel - I liked it but didn't love it.  I bought a bottle I think for $50 last year - only time I had ever seen it.  Had a funky note that I didn't care for.  My buddy has the bottle and I want to revisit it now that it's been open for a good long while.  What did you pay for it?  I think it's worth having a bottle on hand if you got it at MSRP.  I went back to the store I got it at this week and they had 3 bottles of it - no clue how this guy keeps getting it as it's a #### store - he wanted $150 for it this time.  I got so pissed off I walked out immediately, swearing I'll never go back.

More on this - I think the Toasted Barrel is 94 proof?  I'd like to see that higher for the price point.  If they come out with barrel proof of it I'm guessing it will be 80-90 bucks.  Doubt I would pay that.

Oh, and I don't know anything about Lord Overholt but 11 years on a Rye intrigues me - let us know what you think!

You shouldn't have much trouble finding any of those - Rare Breed in particular.  Smoke Wagon should be plentiful in AZ - I would get the Uncut/Unfiltered (which I haven't tried but was the one I wanted - here in GA, it went fast and I couldn't find one).  Wilderness Trail seems pretty easy to get - like I mentioned I like both but really like the high wheat mashbill.  My understanding is you can only get the cask strength at the distillery so I opted for the high rye mashbill.  It's good too but I'm guessing the high wheat cask strength is amazing.  Barrell just puts out some weird ####.  If you don't like finished whiskey avoid - you will not like it.
Thanks for the info. I’m more into rye than heavy wheat, and I am not much of a fan of finished whiskeys. I’ll still keep my eye out for it though.

Thanks for the info. I’m more into rye than heavy wheat, and I am not much of a fan of finished whiskeys. I’ll still keep my eye out for it though.
Have you ever had A Midwinters Night Dram?  Fantastic finished rye - love it.  Worth checking out, IMO.

So, I watch Bourbon Junkies on YouTube and know a little bit more about this.  Apparently the Smoke Wagon Owner (or someone high up) has an IG page that is pretty popular and has started doing giveaways with some of their premium stuff.  Sometimes even giving someone a case (6 bottles) or rare stuff.  With the caveat that he never wants to see it on secondary.  Well, some ####### won a bottle put it on secondary and the Smoke Wagon guy (rightfully IMO) got the FB secondary group shutdown.  If people want to be upset, be upset with the jerk who won the bottle and didn't abide by the "rules".

*Big caveat to all of this is that I'm assuming the version from BJs is accurate.  I have no reason to believe it's not - they were happy the guy stuck to his guns and I have no issue with it.  People who do #### like that deserve the ridicule they get, IMO.
The guy shouldn't have flipped the bottle 100%.... that's a nono. You don't flip goodwill bottles. However, the only reason smokewagon was a success was because of secondary buzz.

Getting authorities to shut down the page was biting the hand that feeds.  Drawing legal attention to the hobby is A HUGE no no in the bourbon world.... and why his brand is now blackballed. 

IMO it's nothing special. Decent MGP stuff. The bottle I have (Barrel Strength  57.1%) was given to me free because the guy didn't like it. I'm not really a big fan either... it's not bad, it's just kinda meh. To me at least. 

The guy shouldn't have flipped the bottle 100%.... that's a nono. You don't flip goodwill bottles. However, the only reason smokewagon was a success was because of secondary buzz.

Getting authorities to shut down the page was biting the hand that feeds.  Drawing legal attention to the hobby is A HUGE no no in the bourbon world.... and why his brand is now blackballed. 

IMO it's nothing special. Decent MGP stuff. The bottle I have (Barrel Strength  57.1%) was given to me free because the guy didn't like it. I'm not really a big fan either... it's not bad, it's just kinda meh. To me at least. 
I get it and I’m sure he will continue to take heat - but supposedly he warned people not to do it.  I’d work to get the guy who did it blacklisted and not the whole group but I understand why the guy was pissed.  I definitely feel like overpaid for the small batch but the bottle is cool as #### and I wanted it.  I’ll drink it but won’t buy another one at that price 55-60.  I’d like to try the uncut/unfiltered just to see but wouldn’t pay over $70-$75.

I've had the Toasted Barrel - I liked it but didn't love it.  I bought a bottle I think for $50 last year - only time I had ever seen it.  Had a funky note that I didn't care for.  My buddy has the bottle and I want to revisit it now that it's been open for a good long while.  What did you pay for it?  I think it's worth having a bottle on hand if you got it at MSRP.  I went back to the store I got it at this week and they had 3 bottles of it - no clue how this guy keeps getting it as it's a #### store - he wanted $150 for it this time.  I got so pissed off I walked out immediately, swearing I'll never go back.
I think it was $55. I paid close to $100 for the bottle of Toasted Barrel and a bottle of Jameson for the wife. I know the Jameson is around $40 after tax.

I think it was $55. I paid close to $100 for the bottle of Toasted Barrel and a bottle of Jameson for the wife. I know the Jameson is around $40 after tax.
That's an ok price, especially if you like it.  My problem is I don't think it's great and the ECBP is superior and much easier to find and may end up being cheaper.

I've not had the EC toasted. Good to hear it's okay but nothing worth going nuts over. 

That's an ok price, especially if you like it.  My problem is I don't think it's great and the ECBP is superior and much easier to find and may end up being cheaper.
I'll let you know how I like it this weekend. Love the barrel proof version. I don't pay secondary market price for anything. There isn't anything I have to have that much. 

My son bought me a bottle of Kentucky Owl.  I think it is pricey. $140 a bottle? It was "ok". NOT something that I would pay that kind of money for. He also brought me a bottle of Rabbit Hole recently. That was around $50 I think. That was very good for the price point.

I've not had the EC toasted. Good to hear it's okay but nothing worth going nuts over. 
I just stumbled across a bottle at one of my local places - not sure the guy even knew what he had. It was up on the top shelf with some randos- I immediately asked him to get it down and assumed it would be like 80-100.  When I saw the price I immediately bought it.  I would have gotten 2-3 at that price to share with friends but that’s the only one they had.  I thought it was ok but had an unusual funk on the initial palate.  The finish was great though.  I let me buddy take the bottle home as he enjoyed it more than me.  For someone like you with a huge collection I’d grab a bottle just to have it around - I think I read they are hoping to have more this year so I wouldn’t overpay for it.

I've been drinking less in 2021, trying to get some weight down.  But between Christmas and new years I was enjoying wild turkey products a lot.

I got Rare Breed for Christmas and it's fantastic. My new favorite.  

I've also started to really like the Russell's reserve that I've had sitting on the shelves for 2 years. 

I suppose I could sift through the thread... but hey, anyone have a good suggestion for a $25-30 bottle?  I've been drinking Old Forester, which is $21 at my local liquor store.  It's good.  Also been trying the Cowboy Little Barrel.  They have a rye which is good. $20 at my store.  Perfect for 3-4-5ish drinks with no hangover.  Yay for that.
Evan Williams BiB (white label) is $17-$18 & is way under valued. A few mentioned earlier are Wild Turkey 101 and Buffalo Trace. Another that's just a little more above $30 worth mentioning is Four Roses Small Batch. 

I got a few over the last two months that I'm really digging (four to be exact, three I've never had and one I have). One I've had is Stagg Jr. Never disappoints. The three new are EH Taylor Barrel Proof (130.3 proof), Makers Mark Wood Finishing SE4 x PR5 and the last is Bardstown Discovery Series 3. All are fantastic but the Bardstown might be the favorite. At $130 it isn't cheap but if you see it on the shelf it's absolutely worth the cost (I went back and picked up a second bottle). 

I got a few over the last two months that I'm really digging (four to be exact, three I've never had and one I have). One I've had is Stagg Jr. Never disappoints. The three new are EH Taylor Barrel Proof (130.3 proof), Makers Mark Wood Finishing SE4 x PR5 and the last is Bardstown Discovery Series 3. All are fantastic but the Bardstown might be the favorite. At $130 it isn't cheap but if you see it on the shelf it's absolutely worth the cost (I went back and picked up a second bottle). 
Where are you finding EH Taylor BP on the shelf?

Where are you finding EH Taylor BP on the shelf?
Kroger in Cincinnati. This particular store does their drop on Monday morning. Gotta get there real early, get in line and wait to see what the days drop brings. There's Reddit threads that will give a hint as to what the week might bring.

AAABatteries said:
Tried it tonight. I was pleasently surprised. It was smooth and had a unique taste to it. Definitely can taste the oak in it 

Kroger in Cincinnati. This particular store does their drop on Monday morning. Gotta get there real early, get in line and wait to see what the days drop brings. There's Reddit threads that will give a hint as to what the week might bring.
Wow. So, not on Instacart then, eh?

Kroger - FML.  I can’t find EHTBP or any of the Discovery series here in GA.

Kroger - FML.  I can’t find EHTBP or any of the Discovery series here in GA.
The EHTBP was Kroger but the Bardstown Discovery was at an OHLQ that doubles as a Marathon Gas Station. I've marked those two stores, know their drop days & times and keep tabs. It pays I guess to live close to KY. 

What's your favorite readily accessible bourbon? Cost is completely to your discretion (i.e. we aren't necessarily talking bang for buck but if that is in your consideration up to you). I'll admit that readability available is somewhat unique depending on geographical location. For example, I live in Cincy so I'm just across the river from KY and what I have readability available won't necessarily be the same for others. 

My readability accessible winner is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition. Cost is $55, proof 115, great nose and taste & I know that no matter what store I go to that this will be on the shelf. It has a fantastic caramel, oak taste with a nice "Kentucky hug" at the end. It's my understanding that this is pretty much available country wide. 

Honerable mentions:

Four Roses Small Batch - mid $30s price that's just rock solid. I'm a huge Four Roses fan & if I weren't considering price I'd pick the Small Batch Select but considering the price difference this is the winner. 

Knob Creek Single Barrel - Is this available in other parts of the country? I hope so. Priced around $50 this is solid. 

Weller Antique 107 - I know I'm probably cheating here on accessibility but since it's in the honorable mention category I'm including. This will not be on the shelf every time I look but I know how to get it on a consistent basis (I have more of this in my stash than any other bourbon). It's 107 proof and in the $55 range I love the profile & constantly hit up for a weekend sip. 

What's your favorite readily accessible bourbon? Cost is completely to your discretion (i.e. we aren't necessarily talking bang for buck but if that is in your consideration up to you). I'll admit that readability available is somewhat unique depending on geographical location. For example, I live in Cincy so I'm just across the river from KY and what I have readability available won't necessarily be the same for others. 

My readability accessible winner is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition. Cost is $55, proof 115, great nose and taste & I know that no matter what store I go to that this will be on the shelf. It has a fantastic caramel, oak taste with a nice "Kentucky hug" at the end. It's my understanding that this is pretty much available country wide. 

Honerable mentions:

Four Roses Small Batch - mid $30s price that's just rock solid. I'm a huge Four Roses fan & if I weren't considering price I'd pick the Small Batch Select but considering the price difference this is the winner. 

Knob Creek Single Barrel - Is this available in other parts of the country? I hope so. Priced around $50 this is solid. 

Weller Antique 107 - I know I'm probably cheating here on accessibility but since it's in the honorable mention category I'm including. This will not be on the shelf every time I look but I know how to get it on a consistent basis (I have more of this in my stash than any other bourbon). It's 107 proof and in the $55 range I love the profile & constantly hit up for a weekend sip. 
Agree on Four Roses Small Batch- fantastic value. I made a old fashioned with it last night and it was superb. I. may go back for more today.

One of the liquor stores near me will put out a couple of “Easter egg” bottles to give average Joes like me the chance to get some harder to find bottles at MSRP. 

I was just nosing around today and overheard the clerk basically lead a guy to a bottle of Weller Special Reserve which I would have jumped all over because I  love pretty much all the Buffalo Trace stuff.

Needless to say I was disappointed, but I wandered down one of the wine aisles and found a bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year bottled in bond for $39.That’s about the top of the range for what I will usually pay. (yes. I’m kinda cheap.)

Thoughts? Will it cushion the blow of missing out on the Weller?

Between that and a 10 year Russell Reserve I picked up last week on sale at Kroger, I’m suddenly awash in 10 year options I haven’t had before.

One of the liquor stores near me will put out a couple of “Easter egg” bottles to give average Joes like me the chance to get some harder to find bottles at MSRP. 

I was just nosing around today and overheard the clerk basically lead a guy to a bottle of Weller Special Reserve which I would have jumped all over because I  love pretty much all the Buffalo Trace stuff.

Needless to say I was disappointed, but I wandered down one of the wine aisles and found a bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year bottled in bond for $39.That’s about the top of the range for what I will usually pay. (yes. I’m kinda cheap.)

Between that and a 10 year Russell Reserve I picked up last week on sale at Kroger, I’m suddenly awash in 10 year options I haven’t had before.
WSR is fine but way overpriced in GA.  The whole Weller line is - it’s nuts.  I’ve basically stopped looking for them - too many other better whiskeys for cheaper. If you can get it for MSRP (which is what $25?) then it’s a yes every time for me.  I think the McKenna is better and $40 is an ok price - can’t find it here in GA for less than $50 and usually it’s $55-$60.

You did just fine.  McKenna 10 is not one of my personal favorites but at list price it's a bargain and many people love it.  Weller SR is on par with Buffalo Trace or Makers.  Bourbons I'll drink neat and are also perfectly acceptable mixers. Good for sure but not worth paying more than retail for.

Is there a secondary market/site for bourbon these days?  I stashed away a few bottles of Pappy back in 2016.  Interesed in the current demand on those.  

Is there a secondary market/site for bourbon these days?  I stashed away a few bottles of Pappy back in 2016.  Interesed in the current demand on those.  
Not really.  The Pappy mania has really run its course. It's all about Kentucky Owl these days. But, I tell you what, since you're a FBG I'll offer to help take them off your hands at a fair price.

Most good sites banned Pappy due to so many counterfeits. 

Whatcha got? May be able to help. 

Not really.  The Pappy mania has really run its course. It's all about Kentucky Owl these days. But, I tell you what, since you're a FBG I'll offer to help take them off your hands at a fair price.
Most people I know still want Pappy. 

The willingness to pay 1500-2500$ for the 15-23 years has faded.  But prior to the BSM groups banning Pappy listings, they were selling pretty routinely.  

Users who are viewing this thread