Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

College Admissions Questions


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Some crappy drama going on in the inalittlecoat family.  My kid was supposed to hear from both of his safety schools yesterday but they both said they didn’t get his scores from the College Board.  Of course the College Board sent them, but he applied to college under his current name and the scores were in his former name and even though the former name did appear elsewhere on his application, somehow the admissions offices didn’t put it together.  So now my ex wife is freaking out and my kid is acting like he doesn’t think he’s getting into any college at all.  This kid is insanely smart for whatever that’s worth.

Personally I feel like they’re both seriously overreacting but it’s been a crappy 24 hours on that front.

If it helps at all, I would say that 99% of schools will see this as an administrative error and won't hold it against the applicant.  Particularly if they are less selective (which they may be since you describe them as safety schools.)

 

There are a few schools which are notoriously fickle (University of Michigan for example) which can be a stickler for stuff like this. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

If it helps at all, I would say that 99% of schools will see this as an administrative error and won't hold it against the applicant.  Particularly if they are less selective (which they may be since you describe them as safety schools.)

Yeah, very clearly an admissions office screw up that I imagine will get cleared up. But I can only imagine how much stress this situation has created for your son, fatguy. I hope it is resolved quickly. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2021 at 5:47 PM, Galileo said:

There are some definite connections between the two...

I work at a national laboratory. We need more nuclear engineers. Giant gap out there. There's an interesting, rewarding career (and probably many careers within a career) for your son. Good luck.

ETA: I see Cal is one of his desired schools. I'll add that there are three national laboratories in the Bay Area, one of which is a stone's throw, and closely aligned with, Cal. If he winds up pursuing NE through a Masters, and particularly a PhD, he will have a great career. And I'll help out where I can at either Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory or Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Edited by ⚡DEADHEAD⚡
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2021 at 3:49 PM, SteelCurtain said:

Its not guaranteed, however, schools are only budgeted a certain amount of work study money from the feds.  Therefore, they usually don't want to overextend it.  That being said, your child needs to go get a job on campus.  Some campuses give preference for students with work study, while others give no preference.

Thanks, I'm partially curious because my older son's school had zero on campus job available this year due to the pandemic (logically).  He did not get work study, so we weren't planning on that.  But I'm curious what would have happened if he had gone and we were counting on that?  Sounds like we would have been SOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck clearing this all up today fatguy.  I was just browsing college confidential last night and saw that there were more than a few people freaking out about not hearing back from UMD on Friday.  No doubt gonna be a busy day fielding phone calls at their admissions office but I really don't have any doubt that, given the particular circumstances, they'll clear this up for you all pretty quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny (at least to me) anecdote from my son's PSAT last week.  His school is pretty much anti-standardized testing for 9th and 10th graders (son is a sophomore) so they don't offer official tests to those kids.  Still, they do offer kids a chance to take old PSATs or ACTs during official testing for juniors and seniors, and since almost all of my kid's friends in other private and public schools have taken them, he signed up for both. 

He took the ACT a couple months back and then the PSAT last week (online at home with a testing company while older kids were taking at school).  Knowing it was an old test, I found the answers online and scored it for him after he was done rather than wait.

The initial section was reading, and he missed five of the first ten.  I'm like "Holy ####, he is totally gonna bomb this and then freak the #### out."  Then he got 38 of the last 39 correct, making me totally think "WTF?"  I check out the first 10 questions and they all relate to a passage from a Jane Austen book - he had no clue what the heck was going on.  At least we've now identified a major hole in his game - joked that he was gonna have to sit and watch British period dramas all weekend.

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Thanks, I'm partially curious because my older son's school had zero on campus job available this year due to the pandemic (logically).  He did not get work study, so we weren't planning on that.  But I'm curious what would have happened if he had gone and we were counting on that?  Sounds like we would have been SOL.

If the school did not make any jobs available for students, work study or not, then work study students would not have been able to earn that funding.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2021 at 7:31 AM, bigbottom said:

Congrats!  Both scholarship money and program acceptance - that’s fantastic.  Do vets have to go to grad school as well for their license?

Vets need a doctorate.  The early entrance programs allows entry after 3rd year.  I believe it cuts the 7/8 year program by 1 year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2021 at 7:31 AM, bigbottom said:

Congrats!  Both scholarship money and program acceptance - that’s fantastic.  Do vets have to go to grad school as well for their license?

Vets need a doctorate.  The early entrance programs allows entry after 3rd year.  I believe it cuts the 7/8 year program by 1 year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2021 at 4:28 AM, bigbottom said:

That’s awesome, congrats to your kiddo!  Those honors college programs are really cool, particularly because you also get the benefits of a big university environment. Do they have specific honors college dorms at Oregon. One of my best friends from college lives in Bend and both his boys went to Oregon (oldest just graduated) and absolutely love it. Good luck on the rest of the process!

Thanks BB!  Yeah, the incoming freshmen live in the Global Scholars Hall with many of the classes being conducted right there.  Having been to Oregon numerous times over the years for football games, it's an awesome campus with a mixture of historic, classic buildings and state of the art, green energy buildings.  Huge trees, immaculate landscaping, it's terrific.  You can still spot some of the buildings used in Animal House.  

I'm going to take my dad and other son on a dude's road trip up to Western Washington soon so he can check that out too.  Waiting to hear back from their Honors College but he did apply to it.  Bellingham is gorgeous and I'd be thrilled if he went there too.  My old man is bored to tears so he's all jacked up for this trip.  We'll spend a couple nights overlooking the water, play poker and scope things out.  

How is your son faring so far?  I think he went to USC, right?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2021 at 5:47 PM, ex-ghost said:

WWU alum and Bham resident here. I wish my daughter would go to Western, but understand why not. Looks like UW it is for her. 

How'd you like WWU?  I think Bellingham is a great place, though it has been 20 years since I've been there.   I might hit you up for some food recs as we're looking to spend two nights up there and see as much of the university as we can in Covid times.  Not sure when yet, though I'd like my dad to get vaccinated first before we go (76, underlying conditions).  He and my mom LOVED their time in Bellingham when they visited and he's super excited to go back.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

How'd you like WWU?  I think Bellingham is a great place, though it has been 20 years since I've been there.   I might hit you up for some food recs as we're looking to spend two nights up there and see as much of the university as we can in Covid times.  Not sure when yet, though I'd like my dad to get vaccinated first before we go (76, underlying conditions).  He and my mom LOVED their time in Bellingham when they visited and he's super excited to go back.   

Loved WWU, great location, not too big, nice campus  - all the things that you know. Happy to help in any way I can.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Thanks BB!  Yeah, the incoming freshmen live in the Global Scholars Hall with many of the classes being conducted right there.  Having been to Oregon numerous times over the years for football games, it's an awesome campus with a mixture of historic, classic buildings and state of the art, green energy buildings.  Huge trees, immaculate landscaping, it's terrific.  You can still spot some of the buildings used in Animal House.  

I'm going to take my dad and other son on a dude's road trip up to Western Washington soon so he can check that out too.  Waiting to hear back from their Honors College but he did apply to it.  Bellingham is gorgeous and I'd be thrilled if he went there too.  My old man is bored to tears so he's all jacked up for this trip.  We'll spend a couple nights overlooking the water, play poker and scope things out.  

How is your son faring so far?  I think he went to USC, right?  

Yeah, they are unfortunately 100% online, so it hasn’t been ideal. He’s doing okay though, thanks for asking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, =Smackdown= said:

M.I.T. has requested to interview my son - so I guess that means they are considering him.

No idea how to prep him for this.

For my alma mater, as an interviewer the emphasis is for the kid to share info that didn't make it into his transcript or other application process...stuff that helps describe something more about him, his extra-curricular endeavors, accomplishments, personality, interests, etc. 

He should have some things lined up like that that he can speak to in depth but succinctly, as well as some simple things about some cultural interests that he feels expresses who he is- favorite recent book (not for school), music, movies, blogs, whatever.

He should also know about the school and/or specific program and have some questions lined up that shows he's informed and genuinely interested (but of course, every kid is genuinely interested in MIT).

It's not an interrogation, it's an informal discussion for your son to further sell himself to the school.

ANd send a thank you to the interviewer within 24 hours.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, =Smackdown= said:

M.I.T. has requested to interview my son - so I guess that means they are considering him.

No idea how to prep him for this.

From an MIT grad and a friend:

Just be yourself. Emphasize being well-rounded, and demonstrate a passion/love for science and technology.

ETA: What El Floppo said. 😄

Edited by ⚡DEADHEAD⚡
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

For my alma mater, as an interviewer the emphasis is for the kid to share info that didn't make it into his transcript or other application process...stuff that helps describe something more about him, his extra-curricular endeavors, accomplishments, personality, interests, etc. 

He should have some things lined up like that that he can speak to in depth but succinctly, as well as some simple things about some cultural interests that he feels expresses who he is- favorite recent book (not for school), music, movies, blogs, whatever.

He should also know about the school and/or specific program and have some questions lined up that shows he's informed and genuinely interested (but of course, every kid is genuinely interested in MIT).

It's not an interrogation, it's an informal discussion for your son to further sell himself to the school.

ANd send a thank you to the interviewer within 24 hours.

 

Thank you - appreciate the advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, =Smackdown= said:

M.I.T. has requested to interview my son - so I guess that means they are considering him.

No idea how to prep him for this.

Just be himself.  Also, if he's asked how he solved a tough challenge, choose one where he was central and where he can recall as many details as possible.  He should show ownership in his work and show his approach to problem solving. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, scorchy said:

Good luck clearing this all up today fatguy.  I was just browsing college confidential last night and saw that there were more than a few people freaking out about not hearing back from UMD on Friday.  No doubt gonna be a busy day fielding phone calls at their admissions office but I really don't have any doubt that, given the particular circumstances, they'll clear this up for you all pretty quickly.

Some of these schools are pushing their time frame to the bitter end.  Wisconsin said decisions would be available by the end of January.  10:30 PM yesterday, on Jan 31st, my son got his notification.  He was accepted which is cool, but again, I think it is toward the bottom of his list.  Only Berkley remains to be heard from...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Some of these schools are pushing their time frame to the bitter end.  Wisconsin said decisions would be available by the end of January.  10:30 PM yesterday, on Jan 31st, my son got his notification.  He was accepted which is cool, but again, I think it is toward the bottom of his list.  Only Berkley remains to be heard from...

Meanwhile most of the schools my daughter applied to won’t inform applicants until mid-March all the way up to April 1. Seems like not a lot of time to make a decision!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

Meanwhile most of the schools my daughter applied to won’t inform applicants until mid-March all the way up to April 1. Seems like not a lot of time to make a decision!

My daughter heard from her top school in December, but her secondary school said they aren't sending anything out until Feb/March.  While the one school waits to send out acceptance letters, the earlier schools are pushing hard for the commitment and offering incentives like dorm room preferences if you sign up quickly.  I don't understand how/why some schools are waiting so long to send out acceptance letters?  With an application deadline of October, you'd think they'd have things ironed out by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Peak said:

My daughter heard from her top school in December, but her secondary school said they aren't sending anything out until Feb/March.  While the one school waits to send out acceptance letters, the earlier schools are pushing hard for the commitment and offering incentives like dorm room preferences if you sign up quickly.  I don't understand how/why some schools are waiting so long to send out acceptance letters?  With an application deadline of October, you'd think they'd have things ironed out by now.

I can't speak for admissions specifically, but it's been a turbulent few months in higher ed admin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the you-can't-make-this-stuff-up-category . . .

My son (doing great academically as a freshman) had some pretty invasive surgery and is now on light duty and told not to lift anything. He just went back to school, and within days his roommate was forced to quarantine out of "an abundance of caution" for potential exposure to someone who might be positive.

The school called him yesterday afternoon (Sunday) after the roommate tested positive . . . meaning that my son would have to switch to a special quarantine dorm ASAP.  They said housing would call him shortly to tell him what to do and where to go . . . except no one ever called him. On his own, he called every person and place he could possible think of to get instructions on what he had to do (all offices closed on the weekend). FINALLY, in the second half of the Super Bowl, they called him and told him to take his stuff and head to the quarantine dorm immediately.

That involved taking enough clothes for two weeks, his books, his computer, and anything else he needed (remember, he is not supposed to lift anything) . . . to walk to a dorm a mile away . . . in the dark . . . in the middle of a snowstorm . . . with no place cleared or plowed. He asked if someone could help him or if security could give him a ride and they wouldn't allow it. So he had to lug all his stuff through 6+ inches of snow across campus. Great plan, people, give yourself a round of applause.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

In the you-can't-make-this-stuff-up-category . . .

My son (doing great academically as a freshman) had some pretty invasive surgery and is now on light duty and told not to lift anything. He just went back to school, and within days his roommate was forced to quarantine out of "an abundance of caution" for potential exposure to someone who might be positive.

The school called him yesterday afternoon (Sunday) after the roommate tested positive . . . meaning that my son would have to switch to a special quarantine dorm ASAP.  They said housing would call him shortly to tell him what to do and where to go . . . except no one ever called him. On his own, he called every person and place he could possible think of to get instructions on what he had to do (all offices closed on the weekend). FINALLY, in the second half of the Super Bowl, they called him and told him to take his stuff and head to the quarantine dorm immediately.

That involved taking enough clothes for two weeks, his books, his computer, and anything else he needed (remember, he is not supposed to lift anything) . . . to walk to a dorm a mile away . . . in the dark . . . in the middle of a snowstorm . . . with no place cleared or plowed. He asked if someone could help him or if security could give him a ride and they wouldn't allow it. So he had to lug all his stuff through 6+ inches of snow across campus. Great plan, people, give yourself a round of applause.

 

Laugh/cry emoji

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, brettdj said:

May as well throw my story in.

Daughter is looking for vet school.  So far she is accepted to Mississippi State, Mizzou, and Kansas State.  Still waiting for Purdue, Maryland and St. Georges.

She still needs to apply to the early Vet programs and that will make the final decisions.  Miss St, KSU and Mizzou have given scholarships to keep the out of state tuition down to in-state levels.

She has a KSU interview for the early vet program.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

UC Berkeley 

Purdue ✔️

Ohio State ✔️

Case Western Reserve ✔️ 

NC State ✔️ 

Wisconsin ✔️

Georgia Tech 

Update: Not sure if I previously reported the Wisconsin acceptance.  We also got word that he is accepted into the Ohio State Honors College.  Berkeley has given us a March 25th date for notification.  I think the momentum continues to build for Purdue during this long wait for Berkeley.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2021 at 6:51 PM, Galileo said:

UC Berkeley 

Purdue ✔️

Ohio State ✔️

Case Western Reserve ✔️ 

NC State ✔️ 

Wisconsin ✔️

Georgia Tech 

Update: Not sure if I previously reported the Wisconsin acceptance.  We also got word that he is accepted into the Ohio State Honors College.  Berkeley has given us a March 25th date for notification.  I think the momentum continues to build for Purdue during this long wait for Berkeley.

Purdue is a great school (Cal is overrated IMO, and I say that as a Cal alum).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My kid got into Virginia Tech today.  Not his first choice but good to be in somewhere.

ETA:  Also got into Ohio State today!  His grandfather went there for grad school and loves Ohio State football.  Today has been a good day for alleviating anxiety.

Edited by fatguyinalittlecoat
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, jabarony said:

58 pages with what I assure is good info.  So, at when should I start reading this and beginning the process based on my kids grade?

I started following this thread when my kid hit 9th grade and took the time to read it from page one forward to catch up. Son is now a junior in HS and I must admit, I’d be clueless right now without the info and experiences shared here. As always, the FFA comes through!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

My kid got into Virginia Tech today.  Not his first choice but good to be in somewhere.

ETA:  Also got into Ohio State today!  His grandfather went there for grad school and loves Ohio State football.  Today has been a good day for alleviating anxiety.

That’s great news!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MindCrime said:

I started following this thread when my kid hit 9th grade and took the time to read it from page one forward to catch up. Son is now a junior in HS and I must admit, I’d be clueless right now without the info and experiences shared here. As always, the FFA comes through!

 Dang. I was hoping you'd say sophomore year 😁

 

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We find out this Friday about private high schools.

Normally, we'd be finding out out about public high schools soon after so we wouldn't have to make a choice/deposit without having the complete picture. But I doubt we'll know about public this year until summer. Fingers crossed he gets accepted and we get offered an aid package that allows to afford it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Daughter graduates in three months and is searching for work. A few prospective employers have asked for her ACT results. She didn't take the SAT or I'm sure they'd be asking for that as well. 

What field?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Daughter graduates in three months and is searching for work. A few prospective employers have asked for her ACT results. She didn't take the SAT or I'm sure they'd be asking for that as well. 

Whoa. That is really interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Daughter graduates in three months and is searching for work. A few prospective employers have asked for her ACT results. She didn't take the SAT or I'm sure they'd be asking for that as well. 

Being in the staffing field, I'm not sure how that would even be legal. I know we verify education but that's just degree and major only, not even GPA.  I'll run it past our legal counsel if I get a chance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Fishboy said:

Being in the staffing field, I'm not sure how that would even be legal. I know we verify education but that's just degree and major only, not even GPA.  I'll run it past our legal counsel if I get a chance. 

Absent a specific state statute on point, I wouldn’t think it would be illegal unless there was some form of disparate impact employment discrimination claim. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

My kid got into Virginia Tech today.  Not his first choice but good to be in somewhere.

ETA:  Also got into Ohio State today!  His grandfather went there for grad school and loves Ohio State football.  Today has been a good day for alleviating anxiety.

Son also accepted to VT.

Still waiting on MIT and all the CA schools.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

Absent a specific state statute on point, I wouldn’t think it would be illegal unless there was some form of disparate impact employment discrimination claim. 

Agreed and our company is so risk adverse. But eliminating someone that falls into a protected class on test scores that haven't been validated to the scope of job responsibilities or performance is a slippery slope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ex-ghost said:

Well, here we go into March and acceptance/rejection time. My daughter is waiting on her #1, University of Washington. Fingers crossed. 

Man, I remember this time last year. I’m pulling for all of you and your kiddos!

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, El Floppo said:

We find out this Friday about private high schools.

Normally, we'd be finding out out about public high schools soon after so we wouldn't have to make a choice/deposit without having the complete picture. But I doubt we'll know about public this year until summer. Fingers crossed he gets accepted and we get offered an aid package that allows to afford it.

Pray for mojito.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Pray for mojito.

4th choice out of 5 (a universally lower ranked school relative to the others) is the first response- wait-list.

Lowest ranked school putting him on the wait-list doesn't make me feel too hopeful for the upper tier ones he really wants to go to, but fingers crossed.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

4th choice out of 5 (a universally lower ranked school relative to the others) is the first response- wait-list.

Lowest ranked school putting him on the wait-list doesn't make me feel too hopeful for the upper tier ones he really wants to go to, but fingers crossed.

You're not hearing about a general lowering of admission standards for the private schools, are you? Or are elite students flocking to the privates because of the uncertainty of public school acceptance in the new climate you've described? What, if any, are the weak links in Little Flop's application/resume? We're rooting for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fear The Turtle said:

You're not hearing about a general lowering of admission standards for the private schools, are you? Or are elite students flocking to the privates because of the uncertainty of public school acceptance in the new climate you've described? What, if any, are the weak links in Little Flop's application/resume? We're rooting for him.

Nailed it. And thanks... he'll be fine whatever happens and wherever he goes. I just want him to have some success with this to feel good about what was a long, difficult process.

A lot of public school parents in nyc are by most standards, wealthy. Own their home, cars, second home, etc. They could afford to send their kids to private but don't because these top public schools have performed quite well. I've talked to too many of these parents who are bailing for privates and parochial...or the suburbs.

Floppinho is an amazing student with near 100s across the board in grades and tests. More importantly he's an eager student- every teacher he's ever had loves his attitude, work ethic and contributions in class. He relishes teacher interaction and interviews well (he's done a lot of acting, which helps). He's a great musician, but I wouldn't call him a virtuouso (yet...hes only been at mallet instruments since middle school, not K) compared to some of the other kids at his school who are also applying to privates who are jaw-droppingly amazing musicians.

I genuinely think his fatal flaw is his parents. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...